Society Banner



Hue and Cry heading


Society Badge                   

               INSIDE THIS ISSUE

Click Here
Front Cover
President's Page
Blast From the Past
New Members
Volunteers in Action
Next Month's Meeting


John Heinrich (riding Police Horse 'Queale.')—Nev Patterson - Barry McMutrie - Max Wagner (under the Jump)


   President Geoff Rawson.

Renovations in the Badge room are nearing completion and the room will soon have a new look, thanks to the excellent work by our volunteers Max Griffiths, Holger Kruse, Kevin Beare and Bob Boscence.  

There was a minor hiccup following a heavy downpour when it was discovered that the roof in that area was leaking.  The problem has now been fixed, the curtains are up and painting completed.  This has given us a golden opportunity to review the  layout of the room, with much wall space exposed, which will allow us to display more of John White’s patch collection. Up until now only a small selection of this very extensive collection has been displayed. The boys are busy planning various options for layout, and are looking to showcase some of our international uniforms to  complement our magnificent badge collection.

Shirley Hayward has been on the sick list in Flinders Medical Centre for several weeks and doctors feared the worst but, as usual with someone of Shirley’s  constitution, she has proved the doctors wrong, is out of intensive care in a ward and complaining about the food, assuring us all that she will be around for at least another 5 years.  Hope to see you back at Thebarton soon Shirley.

Another busy month with outside visits & Museum tours (see report & photos on page 12).  Volunteers were on the receiving end on Sunday the 27th July when  we hosted the Cadillac Car Club and were treated to a display of their  beautifully restored vehicles.
The parade ground saw 13 very large  Cadillac’s trying to fit into parking spots.  Two of these were stretched limos. There were fins and gleaming chrome everywhere, and our visitors had a grand time.

Our monthly meeting on the 1st August featured Christine Howard from the  Commonwealth Bank as speaker, and what a popular and entertaining speaker she was. Her subject “Electronic Banking and Credit cards” was  extremely interesting and educational to the members present who asked many    questions.  I presented her with a certificate of  appreciation and a copy of Tales of the Troopers and after the  raffle, which raised $73.00, we enjoyed supper.

Our next meeting will feature  Ken Duffield whose talk is entitled “Tales of a Special Police Service” and from all accounts I understand he is a very entertaining speaker with lots of interesting stories.  I hope to see you on the 5th  September for this one.




   Geoff Rawson.



This article comes to us from member Charlie Tredrea

The first South Australian Police Communications Centre (VL5AP)
opened on June 2nd, 1948, 60 years ago.

Back in 1948 the Radio Control Room had a mobile fleet consisting of:-
        four sedan patrol cars,
        a Police ambulance,
        a patrol van and  the
        Police launch Archie Badenoch.

The staff of the South Australian Police Radio Branch at the time of the commencement of active operations comprised the following:—
        Chief Technician.
        Seven Operator-Technicians.
        Four Telephone Switchboard Operators.
        One Inspector’s Clerk.

The centre of radio operations at Police headquarters was known as the “RADIO CONTROL ROOM.”
Official ‘silent’ Telephone Line:  W.O.6.
Police Officers in the Metropolitan Area are advised that in future, when they may be absent from Police Headquarters or their home station and the necessity for PROMPT TELEPHONIC COMMUNICATION with Headquarters switchboard arises, they may enter any  PUBLIC TELEPHONE CABINET and, by dialing W.0.6, such communication can be promptly  established.

NO PENNIES WILL BE REQUIRED IN SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES but it is distinctly directed that this line is not to be used for other than OFFICIAL CALLS and matters relating to Police duty.
The same facility is available if a private subscriber’s AUTOMATIC TELEPHONE is made available to a Police Officer in connection with his duty. In such a case, when use is made of the W.O.6. line the subscriber will not be charged for the call which, as in the case of similar calls made from public telephone cabinets, are automatically reversed and the Police Department is debited with the cost.

The Tickera Mystery

© Allan L Peters

William Dean was quite obviously exhausted to the point of near collapse when he entered the Kadina Police Station in the late afternoon of Tuesday May 30, 1865.  He told the trooper in charge that he wished to report the finding of human remains.

Seeing more urgency in tending to the welfare of his elderly informant than in taking his statement the trooper made him comfortable and obtained much needed food and refreshment for him before commencing to question him.
In response to the trooper’s later questioning, William Dean said that he was 75 years of age and was employed by Messrs Bowman as a shepherd and that whilst he was searching the bush about 20 miles to the North of Tickera for his horse, which had wandered off, he had almost tripped on the skeleton of a man laying in the shade of a large gum tree

The head was detached from the body, he said, and some of the bones were spread about to some extent as if they had been scattered by wild dogs.  He said that he assumed the skeleton was that of a white man for a few pieces of rotting cloth which had obviously been clothing were still on some of the bones, and a pair of boots still on the feet, but he had found no sign of personal possessions which may have given a clue as to the identity of the unfortunate victim.

As he had still not located his missing horse, he immediately set out on foot to report his grisly find to the authorities. Not only was William Dean enthusiastic in carrying out his duty to the community, the policeman added at the end of his report, but he had obviously been so overwhelmed by his responsibility that he had covered the 40 miles to Kadina in a time that would do credit to a healthy man of less than half his age.

After a substantial period of rest William Dean, in company with a police- trooper set off on horseback to the place where the remains had been found.

The trooper, guided by Dean, located and examined the bones and made detailed notes pertaining to their condition and location. While the trooper was busy at this Dean prepared a grave, then solemnly the two men gathered up and buried the remains.

Information from various sources was later analysed by the police and it was assumed from this, that the remains were those of a man named Frank Fawcett, who about six months earlier had escaped from the

Mount Remarkable Police Station

where he had been remanded on a charge of horse stealing.  He had last been reported to have been seen at a station property near the Crystal Brook district, about 18 miles from Tickera but had since vanished without a trace.

Whether or not the remains were those of Frank Fawcett, remains a mystery. There is however very little doubt that the unfortunate man, who ever he may have been, died a slow and lonely death for want of food and water and from exposure to the elements.



A Dreadful misfortune
and a Lucky Break.

A murder investigation is usually prolonged.  Finding enough evidence to identify a suspect is often difficult, and for any case to be successful there has to be enough evidence there has to be enough evidence to charge a person and proceed to trial.  Obviously a detective needs to be patient, persistent and painstaking, but initiative and imagination can also be included among the necessary attributes of a good detective.  However, sometimes one can be lucky.

When I arrived at work on 23rd December, 1955, I was assigned the task of investigating the disappearance of a Mrs. Eunice Gwynne, who lived in a nursing home in St. Peters.

After having her evening meal on the previous day, she decided to walk to the nearest postbox to post a letter.  However, she did not return to the home as expected, and after a reasonable time the staff conducted a search of the neighbourhood but without success.  They, therefore, reported the disappearance to the police.

However, after arriving at work on the next day, I was called on to go to an area in the foothills on the south eastern side of Glen Osmond.  A young man named Ian Moore had attended a Christmas function with friends the previous evening, but had failed to return home, and his mother reported this to the Police.  I was allocated this enquiry and immediately contacted the friends he had been with the previous evening.  They informed me that they had accompanied him to an elevated site near Glen Osmond to view the city lights.  The site had been prepared for housing development, and earth moving contractors had formed roads on the site.  After looking at the lights they walked back to their cars and went their separate ways.  They had not seen their friend since.

When I went to the site I saw the young man’s car still there, but I also saw what appeared to be a large mine shaft in the middle of the roadway.  It was approximately 15 feet (5 metres) in diameter.  It was not possible to assess its depth.  It was, therefore, presumed that the young man had fallen down the mine shaft when returning to his car.

On this assumption it became necessary to decide how to attempt a recovery.  It was decided to ask for the services of Constable Ted Spiers from Traffic Control to assist, since it was known that he had had experience in rigging before migrating to Australia. The attendance of the Fire Brigade and St. John Ambulance was sought, and a tripod and winch borrowed from the Mines Department.

I went to Harris Scarfe’s store for some rope, and was lent a 200 ft. (60 metre) length, which I thought would be long enough for our purpose.  A bosun’s chair was attached to the rope, and a volunteer fireman, holding a torch, was lowered into the hole.  He was lowered to the full extent of the rope without reaching the bottom, and reported that the hole did not go straight down, but gradually curved from the vertical.  I, therefore, returned to Harris Scarfe’s to borrow another 200 ft length of rope.  However, before I could return to the Glen Osmond site, I received a call informing me that a young man had reported to the police at Rosewater the discovery of a woman’s body lying in a mangrove swamp adjacent to the North Arm of the Port River. I, therefore, handed over to another officer and went immediately to the Rosewater Police Station.  It was then 5 pm.

Soon after I was reassigned from the task at Glen Osmond, Mr. Moore’s body was recovered from a depth of 300 ft.  It was at the bottom of a ventilator shaft from the long abandoned Glen Osmond silver mine, the first mine worked in Australia.  Two Cornish miners discovered galena at the site in February 1841 and asked Governor Gawler for permission to min the ore.  At that time the new colony was on the verge of bankruptcy and the profits from this venture contributed significantly to the rescue of the colony from financial failure.

I recommended an award for bravery for the fireman.  Eventually he has awarded appropriately by the presentation of a Royal Humane Society medal, and was very pleased indeed with this recognition.

It was a result of this case that a decision was made to establish the Search and Rescue Squad.

Next month   ….        Charlie’s lucky break.


Thanks to member

Allen Cliff for this very
interesting article.


Secret Voyage—Lieutenant Cook awaits Fair Winds

Search for unknown continent south of the Equator



    Much secrecy surrounds the preparation for departure from England of HIS MAJESTY’S BARK,

Endeavour under its Commander LT. James Cook, is awaiting fair winds to begin its long voyage to the Pacific Ocean Island of Tahiti to observe, for the Royal Society, the Transit of the Planet Venus across the face of the sun.
  In view of the extensive preparations being undertaken, your correspondent asks whether this Scientific study is the only reason for the Voyage of the Endeavour? We have received certain information to the contrary, but this is denied by the Lords of the Admiralty and by Lt. Cook himself.

  The information we have  acquired is that Lt. Cook, a gentleman of great experience and ability in surveying, is in receipt of additional sealed orders which are not to be opened until after he leaves Tahiti after the conclusion of the scientific observations.  We have reason to believe these orders are for a Voyage of   Discovery, and will carry Endeavour to lands far distant in the South Pacific, and even to that vast continent which is said to be quite  as big as Europe and Asia together, and which is now marked on the maps as “Terra Australis Nondum Cognita”,
  Such orders would, no doubt, contain instructions to Lt. Cook to take for HIS MAJESTY possession of such uninhabited countries as may be found, and to set up proper marks as first Discoverers and Possessors.  They would also command him to observe the number and disposition of the natives, if any, and to cultivate a friendship and alliance with them.

Discussions have long been pursued by men of knowledge concerning the existence of the  mysterious Continent. Some men say there must be an equivalent amount of land in the distant Southern Hemisphere and thus balance the Earth.

It is no secret that the noted  hydrographer Alexander Dalrymple, who was originally the first choice for Commander of the Endeavour, before the Lords of the Admiralty  insisted on Lt. Cook, has been given to Mr. Joseph Banks a secret document he discovered while on an expedition in Madras.  

This is believed to contain a statement of Capt. Luius Vaez de Torres that he sailed between two great land masses in the far south more than on century and a half since. 
Further evidence is that the Endeavour will carry among her stores, every chart, book and scrap of  evidence relative to the Pacific Ocean .. And your correspondent presumes to Terra Australis.
  If your correspondent is correct in surmising the ultimate destination of the Endeavour, the task will indeed be one of great endurance, but it could solve the puzzle that has been debated since men started making their maps.   

Lt. Cook has achieved considerable renown as a map maker, since he first saw Service in HIS   MAJESTYS Navy in the dangerous task of    surveying the St. Lawrence River in the North American Colonies during the recent war with the French,.  In this arduous employment he was continually liable to attack, not only from the French shore batteries, but also from  Marauding Indians.  His charts of the River from the sea to Quebec served to guide HIS MAJESTYS Fleet before the victorious battle at the Heights of Abraham, when  General Sir James Wolfe put the French to flight.  With this experience3 and his meritorious Scientific observation of the Solar Eclipse two years since, there could be none other so well fitted to take Command of such an expedition to the south as Lt. Cook.  Lt. Cook is a tall, impressive man with an agreeable modesty.  His conversation is lively and intelligent, and, in spite of his aire of austerity, he is well liked and respected by his men.  He has been commended by the Admiralty as a genius, well qualified for great undertaking.

The great thing about this article is that it was printed before Australia was officially discovered.
(The Endeavour originally cost £2,840 10s 11d; alterations for the first voyage cost £5,394 15s 4d; subsequent refits £3,563 10s 10d, a total of £11,798 17s 1d. After exactly seven years she was sold for £645 in 1775)



Bill Molier    

Pauline Follett     ……… 


                  We Welcome you …….

Friday 5th September, 2008   -    at 8.00 pm


         SPEAKER:    Retired SC Ken Duffield

         SUBJECT:    Reflections on an unusual and    
                                   distinctive  policing career


Ken was a dedicated police officer who served in some of the remotest parts of South Australia in the earlier part of his service.  During the final years of his commendable police career he played a vital role in improving relationships between police and Aboriginal people, particularly younger members of the community.  His work and influence in both urban and far northern Aboriginal communities is almost   second-to-none.  He has a splendid sense of humour and will share some of his policing experiences in a very interesting anecdotal style.

Bar divider

About 3 AM, one very cold morning, Trooper Allan Nixon #658 responded to a call there was a car off the shoulder of the road outside Shattuck. He located the car, stuck in deep snow, and with the engine still running. Pulling in behind the car with his emergency lights on, the Trooper walked to the driver's door to find an older man passed out behind the wheel with a nearly empty vodka bottle on the seat beside him.

The driver came awake when the Trooper tapped on the window Seeing the rotating lights in his rearview mirror, and the State Trooper standing next to his car, the man panicked.

He jerked the gearshift into 'drive' and hit the gas. The car's speedometer was showing 20-30-40 and then 50 mph, but it was still stuck in the snow, wheels spinning.

Trooper Nixon, having a sense of humour, began running in place next to the speeding, but still    stationary car. The driver was totally freaked, thinking the Trooper was actually keeping up with him. This goes on for about 30 seconds, then the Trooper yelled, "Pull over!"

The man obeyed and stopped the engine.

Needless to say, the man from Dumas Texas was arrested, and is probably still shaking his head over the State Trooper in Oklahoma who could run 50 miles per hour.


A young policeman walking through Melbourne’s Botanic Gardens picked up two swaggies who were resting comfortably under one of the huge trees.

“Right” said the policeman to one of the swaggies, “where do you live?”

“Everywhere” said the swagman poetically “The windblown mountains, the flowering plains, the golden sands, the hear of the desert and the cold of the Snowy.  Everywhere.”

“All right, all right” said the policeman.  He turned to the second swaggie ”What about you?”  he asked “where’s your home?”

“Me”  asked the second man innocently.  “I’m ‘is next door neighbour”.



MOONTA 1876.

NEW BROOMS SWEEP CLEAN” is an adage that was literally exemplified last week by Constable Burchell, who, preparatory to taking possession of the Moonta Police Station—vacated by the removal of     Sergeant Bentley to the new police cottage—pulled down the creeper covering the front of the building and swept the dust off the stones with a broom.  For years the plant had formed a conspicuous ornament to the  station, but latterly the dense accumulation of withered tendrils tendered its demolition desirable. 

Wednesday, November 1st.
(Before Mr. Derrington J.P.)
Four children named Bonnett, aged respectively eight, six, four and one year and nine months, were brought before the court charged as neglected and destitute children within the meaning of the Act.  Sergeant O’Callaghan deposed that on the previous evening, Susan Bonnett, the wife of Y.S. Bonnet, saddler, of Moonta, came to the Police Station, and putting the children inside, gave him a strip of paper which he read.  It was to the effect that she had no home nor anything to give her children to eat, and she desired the Police to take care of them.  He sent them to her again, but found a little later that she was confined of a child at a neighbours house, just after leaving the station.  The father was a man of intemperate habits, and was at the Gas Works.   Police Constable Burchell deposed that he had been to Bonnett about the matter, but he had refused to come to look after them.  He was not at work when he saw him, but had recently been in the employment of Mr. Michell.   The children were sent to the Adelaide Destitute Asylum until they had        respectively attained the age of sixteen years; and am information was laid against the father and a warrant issued for his apprehension.

THURSDAY, November 2
(Before Dr. Herbert J.P.)
Y.S. Bonnett was charged with leaving his wife and four children without the means of support.  The prison pleaded not guilty.  Serge3anty O’Callaghan deposed to finding the prisoner’s children in the street on October 31st.  Their mother was ill and unable to take care of them, and when prison was communicated with he declined to make any arrangements for their support.  Remanded for twenty four hours

Our thanks goes to member Doug White of Moonta for this blast from the past.


Another busy month with outside visits and tours back in full swing.

Kevin Beare is becoming a very popular speaker, particularly with the Ladies Groups.  On Monday the 14th July he spoke to a very appreciative group from the Tusmore Ladies Club.

Wednesday the 16th July was a very busy day for our volunteers with 22 members of the David Jones Ltd. Retired Men’s Group joined us for morning tea & a Museum. Tour.   While the Vehicle team traveled to Port Pirie with the Chrysler Royal, Bikes and the  William Fisk for Naidoc Week Celebrations, co-ordinated by WPO Const. Andrea Wilson & Chief Inspector Graham Goodwin..




On Thursday the 17th July Bob Boscence visited the Tea Tree Gully Historical Society.  They enjoyed his   presentation so much that 18 of their members visited us for a tour & Devonshire morning tea on the 20th of  July.

Sunday the 27th was a very special day   for visitors and volunteers alike when we hosted tours and morning tea for 38 adults and several children, members of the  Cadillac Owners Club & the Singer Car Club.  The beautifully restored      vehicles  on display in the Car Park were the envy of us all



Once again our sincere thanks to all those who assisted throughout the month.—tour donations and memorabilia sales have certainly helped boost this month’s bank balance.  


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083


Editor Elees

Elees Pick

Web site



Bar divider



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2008  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea