Police banner
Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Society badge


           line 2010    






From the News 20th December 1974—1922 picture of Const. Clem McGrath (seated in the side-car on left with fellow motor constables from left Alec Olssen, Perc Lindsay, and Bill Chambers—See page 4 for story


   Bill Prior

Since my last Report I had the privilege to attend the 2010 Basel Tattoo in Switzerland and witness the performance by our Band of the South Australia Police. Once again, our Band members performed exceptionally well and were very well  received by the audiences.  Other participants included the Australian Federal Police Pipes and Drums, together with Bands from as far a field as South Africa, Mexico, and Canada, together with local and European Bands.

This Tattoo is relatively new with this year being only the 5th annual performance. The Tattoo is a real community event within Basel.  Every tram carried flags promoting the event, two tourist style buses were painted in Tattoo promotional colours and many shops and businesses carried promotional displays.  It was most interesting to see life-size cardboard posters of one of the Band’s members, Craig Menzel, with his didgeridoo, in shop and hotel displays and a larger than life size painting of him on the rear of the two promotional buses.

On the afternoon of the final performances there was a street parade from the main town square to the Tattoo venue.  The streets were packed with thousands of spectators and supporters for the entire length.  Everyone involved in any way with the Tattoo participated, including performers, volunteers and of course the famous Swiss cows.

The performance lasted for slightly less than two hours and was extremely fast moving.  There was no gap between performances, normally with one group entering the arena before the previous group had departed.    There was no intermission, which also assisted to reduce the entire performance time.  One other unusual aspect was the schedule, with many performances commencing at 6:00pm and 10:00pm.  These times seem rather late for us, but the arena was in the open, it was mid summer and the weather, except for one day, was rather warm.  

Tickets for the event went on sale in February 2010 and the entire 85,000 tickets sold out in less than three days.  Even the dress rehearsal was sold out.  Congratulations to all members of the Band and their support staff for such an excellent presentation.  It made me feel very proud to be a South Australian.





Acting Assistant Commissioner Michael Cornish being presented with a Certificate of Appreciation after his excellent presentation concerning the new Police Academy now under construction. Michael used a power point presentation to provide members with a firm idea of what the Academy will look like when completed and answered many questions from the audience at our August monthly meeting. Pauline    Follett once again conducted the raffle which raised $78.00.


   Bill Prior.





Full throttle ahead at a blistering 30m.p.h (50kph) That’s the way it was for South Australia’s first police motor-cyclists back in 1922.

And Mr Clem McGrath, 80, believed to be the only survivor of that hardy band, recalled today: “We had two Harley Davidson motorcycles with side-cars.  We were taken out and given a half-hour lesson on how to ride them and then they put us out on the road.  The idea was that experience added up to being the best teacher.”

Mr McGrath, a resident at Lourdes Valley men’s home Cross Road, Myrtle Bank, was one of the first four motorcycle patrolmen.

“The speed limit was 20m.p.h.(30km/h) back then” a still sprightly Mr McGrath said. “We’d let a driver get about 6mph over the limit and then we’d pick him up.  The fines were about £2.0 or £3.0 and they never used to cancel licences.  The bikes were capable of about 50mph (80km/h) but the roads wouldn’t allow it. They were absolutely shocking and would just about jolt your liver out of place if you went too fast.

Mr McGrath said the patrols had to operate with a side-car as the courts said it was not safe for an officer to operate at speed whilst checking a speedometer.

“One night we were tailing a car, but we took a bend too quickly.  We ended up in somebody’s front garden and knocked down their gas meter.  A horse and dray had to come from the police barracks to take the smashed bike.  I got a ride home in the side-car of the other bike.  The other chap was on the way home after dropping me off when the front wheel of his bike got stuck in a tram track.  He broke the front forks of the bike and with the two bikes gone the whole section was out of action.”

Mr McGrath gave up the motor cycle section after three years. But he went on to complete 38 years in the Police Force, retiring in 1953 as a detective sergeant.

And what does an old speed cop think of today’s drivers? “Terrible” he said in matter-of-fact fashion. “The cars go too fast and the young fellows drive them just that way.  I’d rather walk”


(Extracts from South Australia Police 1838-2003 Chas Hopkins)

With the advent of motor vehicles problems commenced due to them frightening animals, from their noise and speed.  This resulted in legislation being enacted in 1907 requiring motor vehicles to be registered, and speed was not to exceed twelve miles per hour.  Policing of the legislation was entrusted to the general police.  At this time there were 163 horse trams – the largest tram system operating in Australia at the time!
1915 saw the first fatal road accident involving a car and a pedestrian.  In 1916 four traffic point duty constables were appointed and specially trained as “Traffic Police” who  under the Police Act administered all road traffic regulations.  Traffic Police launched the first traffic campaign primarily to educate the public and motorists on the rules of the road, ensuring all vehicles travelled on the left hand side of the road.
1920 saw the introduction of two Plain Clothes police Officers to traffic patrol for the detection of reckless and carless drivers.  Most vehicles were not fitted with speedometers at this time.  The Plain Clothes Police used bicycles and stop watches to ensure the law was being enforced.  The method of policing was for one member to signal another when a motorist had passed into a predetermined timing zone.  The other member, with the stop watch, would start it.

Should the motorist exceed the speed limit when reaching the end of the timing zone, he was stopped by the member on his bicycle.  King William Street, Adelaide and the Parade at Norwood were the main venues.

In 1922 Four traffic police were issued with two motor bikes fitted with side cars (known as outfits) for use in traffic patrolling and regulating traffic in King William street- manpower strength one Sergeant and nine Constables included Alex Olson, Tike Chambers and Percival Holloway.  (Refer to above story).

1923 saw the general speed limit raised from 15 to 20mph in the metro area.

By 1925 the branch had grown to one Sergeant and 13 Constables. The branch had grown to 26 Police Officers by 1928 and most cars were fitted with speedometers.

In 1933 the traffic section consisted of 1 supervisor and 51 Constables using Harley Davidson and Ariel motorcycles.

1940 saw the branch consisting of 1 Inspector – 2 Supervisors- 54 Constables – 39 outfits

The Police Motor School Driving Wing was established at Thebarton Barracks in 1957 and was opened by the Premier Sir Thomas Playford.

1958 – Traffic police expanded to 211 motorcycles and 91 outfits.  62 solo motorcycles equipped with two way radios.

1977 saw the decentralisation of the traffic section by placing traffic personnel within Regions ‘B’ ‘C’ and’D’.




The Battle of Enfield.

By Detective Senior Sergeant Barry Blundell.

Friday the 18th of July, 1930 started like any other day for the prisoners at the Yatala labour prison.  The convicts were mustered in the prison yard at 8.00 a.m. and dispatched to their duties about ten minutes later. Twenty nine of the prisoners escorted by prisoner guard Berg were sent to the Number one Quarry on the eastern boundary of the Yatala Labor reserve.  Amongst these prisoners were John Eustace Newchurch (21yrs), Arthur Harold Harrison (27 years), Joseph Dawson (27yrs) and William Henry Hayes (32yrs). 

Within twenty minutes of their arrival at about 9.00 a.m. the men recovered three sawn off shotguns which had been hidden by an accomplice, overpowering Berg who was felled with a blow falling to the quarry floor.  Whilst Hayes covered Berg the other three scaled the face of the quarry coming up behind prisoner guard Strawson who had been posted on a rise over looking the quarry.  The convicts overpowered Strawson and took his rifle.

Dragging Strawson with them the four made good their escape through a gap in the six foot high fence, then making their way to a nearby quarry on private land where a blue Whippet which had been stolen from Unley the night before was secreted.  Strawson was forced to stand on the running board as they sped off towards the Adelaide Hills.  Hayes wanted to kill Strawson but was prevented from doing so by Harrison who placed himself between the two.  Dawson who was driving slowed the car and let Strawson get off and the car then sped away. 

Whippet tourer similar to the vehicle used by the escapees.

The four were next seen at around 10.25 a.m. by a Mr. R.E. Matthews at the Summertown Post office.  Mounted Constable Armstrong was advised of this a few minutes later when he rang the Post Office to warn of the convicts escape and to prevent them from being able to fill their vehicle with petrol.  The escapees also spoke with a Miss Vince a shop assistant of Summertown from whom they sought directions to the home of the local member of parliament. 

The next to see the escapees was Foot Constable (FC) Dohney who first came into contact with them whilst driving his own motor vehicle along Wellington Road, Payneham at about 1.30 p.m..  Dohney gave chase with Constables Hull and Hughes joining him in his pursuit of the escapees in St Peters.  Near the Sussex Arms Hotel at Walkerville the Police officers called upon the escapees to surrender.  The escapees replied by firing at Police who in turn returned fire smashing the rear window of the stolen Whippet.  From this time a running gun battle ensued along Main North Road until the escapees were able to shoot out one of Dohney’s tires.  Dohney continued to drive for some 250 yards on his rim after which the Police officers continued their pursuit on foot.  The escapee’s car tire was shot out with the Whippet swerving and crashing into the fence of Mrs. Mattishke, two houses from the Nailsworth Public School on Main North Road Enfield.  The escapees then fled through back yards into the grounds of the Nailsworth Public school. 

Whilst most of the children from the school were attending a football match at the nearby Prospect oval, two children sitting in an asbestos classroom had a lucky escape when the charge from one of the shotguns tore through the thin walls a few feet from where they were sitting. 

Inspector Nation upon hearing that the convicts were at Enfield sent all available men to the scene and as all Police cars were already in use, Ambulances were used to ferry them.  As the battle unfolded members of the Detectives Office and motor traffic constables began arriving at the scene.  By this time FC Dohney and his colleagues had run out of ammunition and were forced to seek cover. 

The convicts retreated from the school grounds across Thomas Street where with the odds greatly against them they separated.  Hayes decamped over fences.  Dawson was captured after having wounded Motor traffic constable (MTC) Robertson who was felled by the blast from a shot gun with pellets hitting him in the face and arm.  On 

the northern side of the street Newchurch and Harrison ran into the yard of the house followed by Detective Sergeant McMahon, Detective Testrail, Plain Clothes Constable (PCC) Delderfield and Constable Barringer.  As they crossed a lawn Newchurch fired his shotgun at the pursuing Police who returned fire.  Breaking through a dividing fence Newchurch and Harrison ran into the back yard of Mr. J. E. Gill a plumber who at this time with his wife and son was preparing to leave for a weekend trip to Sellick’s beach. 

Several more shots were exchanged with one tearing into the bricks and mortar of the house inches from PCC Delderfield’s head.  Delderfield moved into the open but was pulled back behind a wall by Detective Sergeant McMahon a move which possibly saved his life, a point that Delderfield would later concur with.  At the side and back of the house a hot exchange of shots continued.  As the Detectives attempted to return fire from the house windows the two convicts then jumped into Mr. Gill’s car and attempted to drive off.  Mr. Gill ran from his home and grappled with the driver but he was beaten off by on of the convicts who then fired his shotgun with several pellets hitting Mr. Gill in the heel of his foot. 

Mr. Gill’s intervention forced the men to give up their attempt at starting his car and with this they then ran to the nearby plumber’s yard at 183 Main North Road, where they stole a lorry.  Driving the lorry down the laneway they took out some 15 yards of fencing and a comer post rendering the vehicle unusable.  With this they alighted from the lorry running on to Main North Road where they held up a Prospect Council truck driven by Mr. William Menadue and accompanied by Mr. Thomas James. Harrison entered the cabin and shouted to the men “Drive like hell or we will blow your heads off” as he levelled his gun at their heads.  Mr. James jumped off.  Newchurch by this time had climbed onto the back of the truck which was carrying sand, continuing to exchange fire with the police who by now numbered some twenty officers.  The truck proceeded along Main North Road back towards Adelaide but before they had gone 50 yards Mr. Menadue who had been struggling with Harrison and was also under fire from the Police was forced off and Harrison took the wheel.  Before he alighted one bullet grazed the side of his head and a shotgun blast left pellets in his leg. 

When the battle was at its height terrified residents rushed in all directions with several forced to take refuge in the Adelaide Meat store whilst Police officers exchanged gunfire from the shops doorway.  A shot gun blast shattered the store’s window causing terrified customers to throw themselves headlong into the sawdust.  MTC Ruwoldt who was on the footpath was hit by the blast of a shotgun with pellets lodging his his leather jacket a fact which probably saved him from more serious injury.  A Mr. Myhill who had pulled his car up on Main North Road also had a lucky escape when a bullet tore through the driver’s seat of his vehicle shortly after he had alighted from it.

MTC Dennison driving a motorcycle with MTC Walters in the side car drew along side of the right of the vehicle whilst MTC Varley with MTC Holloway drew along side the left. Walters called upon Harrison to surrender and with this Harrison raised his gun to fire.  Dennison who had been keeping a keen eye on Harrison accelerated his motorcycle and was narrowly missed by the shot from Harrison’s gun.  Two further shots were fired as the constables proceeded a short distance in front of the truck.  MTC Dennison then slackened his speed again drawing along side the truck allowing Walters to place one foot on the trucks side board as he poured fire into the cabin.

In the mean time MTC Holloway called upon Newchurch to surrender with Newchurch immediately firing at the officers.  Struck by several bullets Newchurch was killed as he crouched on the sand.  Constable Holloway jumped from the side-car onto the rear of the truck and called upon Harrison again to surrender.  Harrison after refusing to stop was shot in the head and killed. 

With two convicts dead and one captured the search continued for the one remaining escapee.  At 9.30 p.m. Detectives Copp, Bourke, and Lindsay together with PCC Phin attended premises at Chatham Street, Adelaide where Hayes was found sitting in a couch dressed as a woman with painted and powdered face.  Hayes was arrested for his escape as was Charles Groetsch a 42 year

old labourer for harbouring the criminal.

Hayes appearance the next day in court dressed in the same attire causing quite a commotion as he played to the packed gallery from the dock of Number One Police Court.  The Advertiser described Hayes as wearing a white straw hat ornamented with pink roses, a black braided coat, a grey and white striped frock with a low v shaped neck and pale coloured silk stockings, without shoes or boots.  As they left the dock Hayes displayed a generous amount of feminine lingerie with pink garters providing a laugh from the packed court.  .

Dawson and Hayes were charged with attempting to murder PCC William James Delderfield, at Nailsworth; and for escaping from Yatala Labor Prison, at Northfield offences for which they were convicted and sentenced to a total of 15 years and 2 years hard labour.

For bravery and devotion to duty in connection with this matter 38 members of the force received honourable mentions, six of whom were awarded the Kings Police medal. This is most likely the single most decorated incident in the history of the South Australia Police.

At a Ceremonial Police Parade held at the Military Parade Ground, Victoria Drive, Adelaide, on April 27th, 1931, His Excellency the Governor, Sir Alexander Hore-Ruthven, V.C., K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O., invested Foot Constable W. L. Dohoney, and Motor Traffic Constables F. H. Lee, J. A. Robertson, W. R. Denison, R. S. M. Walters , and P. E. Holloway with the King's Police Medal, which had been -awarded to the Constables by His Majesty the King for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on July 18th, 1930 , in following and arresting four escaped convicts who were well armed and who fired continuously at the Police whilst being pursued.

The inquests held on August 1 1930, found that both Newchurch and Harrison died from injuries caused by bullet wounds inflicted by Police Constables, whilst they were maliciously, violently, and feloniously resisting arrest and in so doing; were killed in the struggle.

Those receiving an honorable mention for distinguished service and devotion to duty at great personal risk are as follows:

Honourable mention.

Detective- Sergeant M. J. McMahon.

Detective S. J. Trestrail.

Detective L. H. Harrell.

Detective I. T. L. Dayman.

Detective P. J. Bourke.

Detective P. W. Lindsay.

Detective A. E. Copp.

Detective F. W. Ferguson.


Plain Clothes Constable W. R. McConnell.

Plain Clothes Constable C. P. R. Trezona.

Plain Clothes Constable W. J. Delderfield.

Plain Clothes Constable A. A. Phin.

Plain Clothes Constable T. H. Packman.

Motor Traffic Constable A. H. Koehler.


Foot Constable H. G. Sparshott.

Foot Constable C. R. Hull.

Foot Constable J. J. Turnbull.

Foot Constable E. C. Hughes.

Foot Constable F. W. Starr.

Foot Constable W. L. Dohonev.


Motor Driver H. Barringer.

Motor Traffic Constable E. Budgen.

Motor Traffic Constable L. G. Copeland.

Motor Traffic Constable H. B. Horne
Motor Traffic Constable W. C. Chambers.

Motor Traffic Constable P. E. Holloway


Motor Traffic Constable B. B. Fry.

Motor Traffic Constable F. S. Williams.

Motor Traffic Constable F. H. Lee.

Motor Traffic Constable A. W. J. Thompson.

Motor Traffic Constable W. R. Denison.

Motor Traffic Constable S. E. G. McCallum


Motor Traffic Constable G. Kirk.

Motor Traffic Constable T. Cooper.

Motor Traffic Constable J: A. Robertson.

Motor Traffic Constable R. S. M. Walters.

Motor Traffic Constable W. L. Ruwoldt.

Motor Traffic Constable F. Varley.


Motor Traffic Constable Ruwoldt one of the injured officers is the father of Isobel Brooks one of the hard working volunteers and a member of the Police Historical society.


The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), Friday 1 August 1930, page 11.



Lorry-driver Commended.

ADELAIDE, Thursday-The story was retold to-day of the battle at Enfield between the police and four prisoners who escaped from Yatala labour prison on July l8, when two convicts were shot dead and others were recaptured.   The two recaptured are in custody on remand, on charges of escaping and attempted murder.

The coroner (Mr. H. M. Muirhead S.M) held an inquest to-day into the death of Arthur  Harold Harrington aged 27 years rabbit trapper, one of the men who were shot, and after hearing evidence, announced that he would deliver his finding to-morrow morning.

According to Dr. Lynch five bullets struck Harrison, the one which caused death penetrating the lungs and heart.

The coroner commended for his courage, B M Menadue the driver of the corporation lorry which was commandeered by the convicts, and on which they were riding when they were shot.



Our next monthly meeting on Friday the 3rd  September 2010 at  7-30pm will feature Senior Sergeant Mick Joseph who has researched the history of policing in Mount Gambier and has   written some articles on the topic.  He received an award for an article he wrote relating to the murder of an Aboriginal child during the very early years of Mt. Gambier

Bar divider


Being a 'traffic cop' has never been an easy job.  In fact over the years it has been exciting, dangerous hard work and even on a few occasions sadly fatal.   However there is a certain attraction for many police to join the ranks of the traffic sections, and I think there has always been an admiration for the 'traffic-cop' from the public and other police officers.   South Australian Police Traffic was never stronger than during the 1960's and 1970's, when Thebarton Police Barracks was (almost) theirs.     Traffic has also had more than it's fair share of characters, and is perhaps the most visible of all police tasks.   Many traffic officers have in fact gone on to distinguished careers in SAPOL.
The public and the press have also called for more traffic police and also praised their efforts down the ages as can be seen from these few selected press reports and letters to the Editor, from 1846 to the 1930s.                              Charlie Tredrea.

The Advertiser , Thursday 19 September 1929, page 13.




Man Arrested

While a stolen motor car was being pursued at Fullarton early on Wednesday morning, revolver shots were exchanged between the occupants of the vehicle and a police motor cycle patrol.

A man was arrested.

Motor Traffic Constables Chambers and Thorsen were riding along Cross Roads, about 4 am, when a powerful them.  One of the men called out ''Good night" to the officers, who turned to look at them.  The motor car immediately accelerated, and the police gave chase.

At a high, rate of speed the two machines roared along Cross Road, along the Fullarton tramlines, and through into Kenilworth-road.  On two occasions the police motor cycle drew level with the car, but on both occasions the driver of the latter forced the cycle to drop back by edging it Into the gutter.

Nine Shots Fired.

On the second occasion four Shots were fired at the police vehicle.   Constable Thorsen, who was in the side car, drew his revolver and fired five shots in return, aiming at the petrol tank of the car.   Neither fusillade had any effect.

The vehicles turned on to the Glen Osmond-road, and then on to Park terrace, and the chase continued at unabated speed.   The end came when the car tried to take a comer at Young street, Parkside, at too high a speed.  It struck a horse trough, and the machine was crippled, although it continued to function.   Before it stopped the occupants jumped out and ran into the garden of a private house nearby.

Man Hiding in Garden.

One man escaped by scaling the back fence of the property.   A man who was found hiding in the garden was arrested.

A jammed automatic and four empty shells were in the car which investigation proved to be the property of Mr. T. L. Simpson, of Dequetteville terrace, Kent Town. The door of his garage bad been forced and the car stolen, although he was not aware of the fact until Informed by the police.


Harold C. Powell was remanded by, Mr E. M. Sabine till 'Thursday. September 26, in the Adelaide Police Court, on Wednesday on a charge of having illegally used a motor vehicle.   Mr. B. A. Lenthall, Police Prosecutor, in applying for the remand, said it was probable

that other and more serious charges would be laid against the accused, arising out of the same incident. Early that morning Traffic Constables Chambers and Thorsen chased the car along Cross-roads, five or six shots were fired at the constables, who returned the fire, and then arrested the defendant. Enquiries were being made, and it was probable that the accused would be charged with breaking and entering and with shooting with intent.

The accused was allowed bail in the personal bond of £100 and two sureties of £50 each.




The shop of Mr. S. L. Thredgold, hairdresser and tobacconist, Seaview road, Henley Beach, was broken into on Tuesday night, and cigarettes and tobacco valued at more than £100 were stolen.   Yesterday Motor-traffic Constables Thorsen and Chambers and Detective Dayman preferred a charge of larceny of these goods against the man who was arrested after the sensational revolver duel at Fullarton.

National Library of Australia.


The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931-1954), Monday 3 July 1939, page 12


Police Outfit In Collision:

Constable Injured.

A police motor cycle outfit carrying Motor Traffic Constables R. Fox and Broomhead was involved in a collision with a motor car driven William Jackson McKay, of Wakefield street, City, at Port road, Alberton, on Saturday night. The police officers were engaged in patrol duty at the time.

Constable Fox had a hand and a leg injured. He was taken to the Port Adelaide Casualty Hospital for treatment.

Bar divider

An extract from the Beltana Police Station Journal of a patrol from Edieowie to Innamincka in 1880. (From Jim Sykes).

I have the honour to forward, in accordance with your instructions, a detailed report of the capture of prisoner John Smith, arrested by me on charges of horse stealing and embezzlement from Jnr Constant of Edieowie, on the fifth of last month.

The complainant reported the case to me. I advised him to proceed to Beltana and obtain a warrant for Smith’s arrest.

I left Edieowie next morning for Moralana Creek Railway camp, and returned to Edieowie at 7 pm the same afternoon, having travelled all night and reached Beltana, ten o’clock on the morning of the seventh, fifty-five miles journey.

That afternoon I received the warrant for Smith’s arrest, and I left Beltana next morning [eighth] to pursue this offender, reaching Mt. Lyndhurst [sixty five miles] that night taking horses ‘Demon” and ‘Juriet’. Smith passed this station on 31 January and therefore had ten clear days start on me. The next three days, ninth, tenth, eleventh, I travelled forty, forty-five and forty-five miles respectively. On my arrival at the last station mentioned, I ascertained that a man who had travelled with Smith from   Beltana, had obtained two fresh horses belonging to Coongy Station and that they passed here on Saturday the seventh and were consequently five days in advance of me.

On the twelfth I reached Tingatingana [fifty miles] – five days out from Beltana having travelled 250 miles. Here I expected to get fresh horses, but the dry state of the country and most of the stock being brood mares, compelled Mr. Burkitt to refuse me.

I ascertained here that Smith had passed on Tuesday the tenth, being now but three days in advance of me. Still I had little hope of overtaking him, as my horses were much fatigued and weak, through being over-ridden and not getting a night”s feeding until the fourth night out from   Beltana. On the thirteenth I made a short stage to a well about ten miles on the road to Innamincka. I now had an eighty mile dry stage [at least I made preparation for it] and started on the afternoon of the fourteenth travelling until about 12 o’clock that night. I was then compelled through feeling very weak and feverish, to stop until morning.    Fortunately a shower of rain had fallen between Tingatingana and Innamincka, leaving water on the track and I was able to rest myself and my horses. I reached Innamincka Sunday night the fifteenth, eight days out from Beltana and having travelled 340 miles.

I camped about a mile from the station and got in next morning at eight o’clock and on enquiring, was told that Smith had passed about ten minutes, in company with another man. I immediately went in pursuit and came up to them about four miles from the station and about ten miles from the Queensland border and travelling the latter direction.

I arrested him and returned to Innamincka. Smith arrived at Innamincka on Wednesday the eleventh but waited at a camp about two miles from the   station for his comrade who went down the river to Coongy with the two horses beforehand and   returned on Sunday the fifteenth, bringing two of his own horses. This man was evidently piloting Smith through the country. From Mount Freeling to Innamincka, a distance of 230 miles, there are only two stations between and rations could not be obtained from either. I was not aware of this when leaving Mount Freeling, but fortunately I had sufficient with me to take me through.

 I returned via Lake Hope as I considered my horses too weak to travel over the long dry stages of the Strzelecki Creek. From Lake Perragundi to Waukatanie I travelled in company with Henry  Laman, a hawker, and we expected to get water in a well at the latter place, but were disappointed, as the last floods had washed a great quantity of sand into the well and we had to take nearly five feet of dirt before we made sufficient water to satisfy us that there would be enough water in the morning for ourselves. We worked hard at the well for about five hours. When we got up in the morning, the  water in the well was so salty that the horses could scarcely drink it.

From Lake Hope to Mannawaukanina, a distance of fifty miles across sand hills, I had travelled at night [no water in between], and from there down to Mount Lyndhurst – 130 miles, our horses scarcely got a bit of food. I returned to Beltana on the fourth of March being absent twenty-six days and having travelled 766 miles, on an average of thirty miles without change of horses. Prisoner now stands committed for trial.

Signed: C. Power
First Class Police Trooper

                  Police Remembrance Day 

... forever in our hearts”


National Police  Remembrance Day

Memorial Service


South Australia Police invites you to attend the National Police

Remembrance Day Memorial Service, to honour those police

officers who were killed in the performance of their duty.



Wednesday, 29 September 2010

At 11 am

Wall of Remembrance

Police Academy, Strathfield Terrace, Taperoo


Light refreshments will be served at the conclusion of the service

Enquiries to SAPOL Special Events Officer, telephone 820 42229.


      On Sunday the 11th July 2010 the Geoff Rawson, Di Lugg and Ray Freak entertained a small group of 13 with the Eureka Group (a bus company).  Our thanks to Di Lugg who responded to my call for help as this group required a Devonshire Tea.  Ray Freak was able to take the group through the vehicle   garage.  This was a generous group who  purchased a number of our  booklets, horseshoes and other memorabilia.  The scones went down very well, and the group toured the mounted section and were very taken with the number of horses and the stable cats who accompanied us on the tour. This group went onto Port Adelaide for lunch and were to visit the Adelaide Gaol in the afternoon.  The Eureka Group are hoping to make this a regular event but with more visitors.

                    Di Lugg                                      
                    Di Lugg preparing scones.                                                          Eureka Group 11/7/2010.


                      Peters BBQ

The  BBQ is a very serious business with Chef Ernie McLeod and assistant Bob Ward hard at work in the Vehicle Museum.  Their efforts were warmly appreciated. It was Bob’s Birthday and Audrey Wallace also celebrated her birthday both providing cakes.


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083


Web site





Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2010  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea