Police banner
Society Banner




Society Badge

               NSIDE THIS ISSUE

Click Here
Front Cover
President's Page
Blast From the Past
Volunteers in Action
Next Month's Meeting


BACK ROW L > R            Bob Boscence, Bill Rojas, Elees Pick, Holger Kruse, Kevin Johnson, Allan Peters
FRONT ROW L > R          Owen Bevan, Kevin Beare, Geoff Rawson, Tony Woodcock  (Absent: Bill Prior).



On Friday the 19th January we had a visit from Steve and Helen Cox from the USA.   Steve is a retired Chief of Police from the Leawood  Police Department.  They are now living in Albuquerque and have been travelling around Australia.  Steve was very   impressed with the museum and in particular the badge collection where he recognized badges and patches from his home turf.  He was genuinely surprised to see some of these patches which are now very rare.  Steve served for 26years and was Chief for 16 years.  He has a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology & a Master’s Degree in Administration of Justice.

At our Annual General Meeting on Friday 2nd February 2007 the following  members of the executive were elected unopposed.  President, Geoff Rawson, Vice President, Kevin Beare, Secretary, Owen Bevan and Treasurer, Tony   Woodcock.
As there were 7 nominations  for 6 committee positions, an election was held and the following members were successful.  Bob Bosence, Kevin Johnson, Allan     Peters, Holger Kruse, Elees Pick and Bill Rojas.  We thank the outgoing members Rex Greig and Tony Kaukas for their support and past involvement.

The following presentations were made- Elees Pick was presented with the           inaugural Presidents Commendation for outstanding service.  Rod Stokes was presented with an achievement award for his restoration of the fire trailer.      Appreciation certificates were awarded to Dennis Irrgang, Kevin Johnson and David Rostan who was not present but will be presented with his award at a later date.

My Annual Report was read and is presented in full in this issue.  The raffle  conducted by Helen Ward and Elees Pick  raised $112.00.  The 64 members who attended enjoyed supper at the conclusion of the meeting.


   Geoff Rawson






Presented b y President Geoff Rawson
SAPHS Annual General Meeting
Thebarton Barracks
Friday 2nd February 2007

It is with much pleasure that I present the 30th Annual Report of the South Australian Police Historical Society for the year 2005-2006, my third annual report as President of the Society.

This years Annual Report provides a detailed overview of the many activities of this Society over the last 12 months and will include the ambitions for the future.

As in the past 29 years the strength of the Society has been in the enthusiasm, dedication and strong commitment by its members and in particular our volunteers without whom little could be achieved. The following is a list of many of the positive outcomes achieved.

Police Anzac Day 23rd April 2006
Held at the Academy Fort Largs this was once again a very moving ceremony and well attended by members and volunteers from the society.

Police Foundation Day – 28th April 2006.
Thanks to the commitment by members of the museum committee the official opening of the museum was a great success.  Kevin Bear, Bob Boscence, Tony Kaukas and Holger Kruse are to be congratulated for the outstanding contribution to the event. Tours of the museum have raised $661.00 for the year thanks to the small band of volunteers involved.

The transformation of the vehicle shed into a “vehicle gallery”
A wonderful effort from the vehicle volunteers which has transformed the shed from merely somewhere to store vehicles, to a place well organized to take the public with all vehicles properly labeled and decorated with innovative ideas including a working siren and lights near the entrance.  Our vehicle volunteers in Rex Greig, Mark Dollman, Ernie McLeod, Peter Moller, Rod Stokes,Dave Rostan,Dennis Irrgang, and Kevin Johnson are to be congratulated on their efforts. 

Conversion of our video collection to DVD.
This project has been undertaken by Helen Ward who has done a wonderful job with nearly 70 videos now converted to date.  Helen has kept records of each video identifying their condition, historical worth. .

Return of the William Fisk – 11th May 2006.
Following successful negotiations with the Holdfast Bay Council, the restored police launch was returned to be placed on display on loan from the council. 

National Police Remembrance Day – 29th September 2006.
Tony Woodcock represented the society at the Academy Fort Largs for the ceremony there and Elees and I attended the ceremony in Canberra.  This was a major event and a very successful one.  We also attended at the official opening at Old Parliament House of the “In line of duty”display.  The society was heavily involved in contributing to this wonderful display for which the season has been extended and has had record attendances.

Open Day (History week) – Sunday 21st May 2006.
Once again our volunteers worked very hard for a day which was a little disappointing in the number of people attending.  There were a number of factors which contributed to this including a large number of other major events on the day, and lack of advertising on our part.  These matters will be addressed for 2007.

Sponsors Day – Friday 28th July 2006.
An afternoon tea was held at Thebarton in order to recognize the role our sponsors have held in relation to the success of the society.  Unfortunately more than half the invited guests were unable to attend but those who did were presented with plaques recognizing their contributions.

Police Tattoo –
Rex Greig and Holger Kruse were involved in the police tattoo attending for each performance dressed in period uniforms as part of the show.

Renovation of the Fire Trailer
Our thanks to Rod Stokes for a patient effort when he volunteered to renovate the Fire trailer, used by Cadets and trainees for many years.  Rod has done a wonderful job and is to be congratulated for his effort.

Police Expo (Fort Largs Academy) 10th December 2006.
Our involvement in this event commenced on the 9th when a group of volunteers set up displays in 40deg heat.  This was followed up by many of the same volunteers with others manning displays on the Sunday (10th) and a small group returning on the 11th to collect the displays and return to Thebarton.  In retrospect this was very hard on volunteers and our involvement in future events will have to be re-examined.

Police Heritage Day – 17th December 2006
A small group of volunteers and members attended at the Academy for the celebration of the involvement of the late John McKinna and the celebration of 100yrs since his birth.  This was a lovely day and thoroughly enjoyed by all who attended. 

As in previous Annual Reports, I recognize the outstanding contribution made by the “Thursday Group” of dedicated volunteers.
Bob Ward has taken over the difficult role of managing the incoming artifacts and has picked up the data-base management thanks to the training and assistance of Jim Sykes.

Shirley Hayward continues to perform her duties with the newspaper cuttings and is always ready to volunteer to help with outings and other activities.

Isobel Brooks is another of our willing volunteers who performs the data base updates of newspaper cuttings and is also always ready to assist with other activities.

Colin and Joyce Beames who have managed the monthly raffles and assist with the preparation of the Hue and Cry for postage amongst other activities.

Elees Pick the editor of the Hue and Cry who has managed to maintain the usual high standard however we have had problems with the printing which is getting worse.  Enquiries are being made to see if we can out-source the printing to solve this problem. Elees has also been heavily involved in many other aspects of the Society including the “In Line of Duty” display at old Parliament House Canberra, the Xmas dinner to name a few. 

Dave Aylett has taken over the uniform collection after the magnificent job by the late Rob Thomson.  Dave has done very well and once again I thank Jim Sykes for his help and advice to Dave.

Our photographic collection continues to be maintained by the very able Dorothy Pyatt , Jan Gregson and Audrey Wallace.  Dorothy has displayed her conservation skills with many of the photos which arrive, some in poor condition  There are a large number of large photographs which need to be photographed and it is proposed that some equipment will be purchased this year to commence this task.

Maps and Plans with Alf Jarvis, Audrey Walker and Peter Malpas.  This team has managed to preserve and identify a large percentage of the maps and plans held by the society, most of which are properly stored and indexed on computer.

Stewart Munro is also to be recognized for his many duties which include managing stationery, auditor, looking after the dreaded phone, and the general order in the artifacts area.

Audio Visual – Alan Hyson with his experience and knowledge of older style media, projectors and other equipment

Our researcher Alan Peters continues to receive many requests for research and I acknowledge his fine contribution.  He is now handing over the sale of memorabilia to Holger Kruse who has proven to be a fine salesman.

Bill Prior for his continued support and liaison between the SAPD and the Society.

Charlie Tredrea for his continued assistance in maintaining & upgrading of our website

My thanks also go to Patron Mr MA Hyde, APM and Vice Patron Mr J White APM,our Treasurer Tony Woodcock, who continues to serve and manage the financial affairs of the Society, Kevin Beare as Vice President and hard working museum man,. Owen Bevan our Secretary who continues to find interesting speakers for our meetings and the support of our other members of executives.

I thank our many sponsors who have assisted us in the past year.

Because of the many projects and events in the past year, we did not review our strategic plan and it is hoped to achieve this project early this year.  We are actively seeking sponsors for restoration work on the Holden, donated to the society last year, and a BSA motorcycle.  The Society and SAPOL will be working together to resolve occupational health and safety issues.  We have received significant donations of artifacts in the last year and it is hoped that a new display will be set up in the Rob Clyne gallery this year.

Planning for events for the coming year is already underway including Foundation day in April and Open day in May and the 30th anniversary of the Society.  Many tours of the museum are already booked up to September this year indicating the increasing interest by various groups.  I must thank those members who have been involved in public speaking events including school visits, opening of new police complexes 

In conclusion I again thank the outgoing executive and wish the new committee al the very best for the coming year. 

Geoff Rawson

The following article appeared  in the Murray     Pioneer of the 1st December, 2006 & two of our members have sent  us a copy 

Val Harvey             &                      Brenton Sullivan

Looking back – an image from yesteryear

Bush trooper for 43 years


Trooper Schmidt, aged 21, had joined the police force under Commissioner Hamilton in 1874 and his first posting was to Overland Corner in 1875 where he served eight years.
Heinrich Ernst Wundenberg Schmidt was born in 1853 at Macclesfield SA, third of 11 children to Heinrich and Auguste (nee Wundenberg) Schmidt, who had arrived from Prussia on the “George Washington” in 1849.
Overland Corner in 1875 was a busy staging post for the mail coaches.  The thriving hotel was then run by Harry Brand and a good race meeting was held there in 1877.
Patrol work was heavy and one of the most important jobs the troopers at Overland Corner had was finding lost men before they died of thirst.  Another task trooper Schmidt performed while at the Corner was assisting at Morgan on pay days for the “navvies” building the railroad in the late 1870’s.  Overland Corner station was the only police presence between Blanchtown, then later Morgan and Tareena in NSW.
Trooper Schmidt had few equals in the art of bush tracking.  He once tracked a man through scrub for five days before apprehending him in Broken Hill.  There were many hard, dry rides in the local area, where hot winds and blinding sand took ill-prepared travellers unaware.
One notorious spot, known as Fish Hill (between Overland Corner and Taylorville on the Morgan track) has many bush graves.  Another unlucky area was the Stoney Pinch and Seven Sisters sandhills between the Corner and Ral Ral.
John Robertson, of Bookmark Station, was the only JP for hundreds of miles and gave the orders for burying corpses whom had died of thirst, though seldom rode out to view them.
It was while stationed at the Corner that Trooper Schmidt met his wife Mary Anne Johnston, whom he married in 1879 in his father’s house at Macclesfield.  Mary Anne was born in the Winkie district in 1860.  Her father Charles was a Swedish seaman who had been given shepherding work (pre-wire days) on Cobdogla Station in the 1850’s by manager Jimmy Trussell.
Mrs Schmidt’s first sight of her husband was when he came riding through the bush on his grey, “Quiz”, while on patrol to the Johnston camp of two tents.
Two children were born at Overland Corner and another six during subsequent postings to Morgan, Auburn, Mintaro, Renmark, Clarendon, Mannum and Echunga.
He remained in the service for 42 years, retiring in 1917.  He was a fair, well-respected trooper and when he left Morgan he was presented with a handsome illuminated address.  In 1908 on his departure from Renmark, Mrs Schmidt was presented with a purse of 35 pounds – it being against department rules to make a presentation to Trooper Schmidt.
In 1931 Heinrich Schmidt died, aged 77, at his son’s home at Ramco.  His obituary in the Police Gazette paid tribute to his tracking skills and his ability to deal quietly with all types of characters, ever welcomed by station owners and trusted friend to bush women.
“Schmidt prevented crime and gave those who deserved it a chance”


So much history is recorded in old records,  but obviously much more can often be learnt simply by reading between the lines of those same documents.
When Corporal Rollison, Officer in Charge of Mount Barker Police Station, penned his Journals from 1866 onwards, one wonders if he realised what a  treasure trove of historical clues to life in the “sixties” he was leaving.

(1)   In their days of prosperity the busy mining towns of Kanmantoo and Callington, which until their recent re-birth had become little more than ghost towns of tumbling ruins, held popular picnic race meetings. Great numbers of people attended and the public houses had permission to remain open all night.
     Moves were afoot for the opening of a Police Station at Echunga, but for some years a private dwelling was occupied as a Police Station. Mounted Constable Adamson in 1857 was referring to an offer “to renew the lease of the house now  occupied by the police” whilst William Wilson was offering house and land for £25 for use as a station. [Tenders were eventually called for building a station in 1874 and the new station completed in 1880.]   


(2)  In April 1867, “the old station at Macclesfield  vacated & possession taken of the new station this night” wrote the worthy Corporal.

In 1867  Callington, too, got its Police Station - a fine, substantial building which still stands, well preserved, to this day, though long since out of use as a police establishment.

Ploughing matches were the order of the day.    Pioneers liked their fun, and a bit of innocent fighting and drinking only added to that fun. A Macclesfield, the local Irish  population was want to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a race meeting with much exuberance. As was to be expected, rows were anticipated, and the mounted man stayed on through the night “on account of the disturbed state of the place”, which was surely a droll way of celebrating a saint’s day.
Election time offered another opportunity for a bit of fun. At Nairne, assistance was called for “as there was a cask of beer to be given away at Woodside, and the     officer was absent - he was being married”. He sent a     telegram that, on account of the wedding, he could not return in consequence of the disorderly state of the   people at Woodside.
The festive season, of course, was natural - John Mc.(sic) was locked up for being drunk & riotous &        creating a disturbance - “it was with great difficulty that he was secured, it being necessary to knock him down several times.” He was later charged with being drunk,
and riotous behaviour, on which charge he was acquitted on account of it being New Years Day. On the further charge of violent resistance & assaulting Corporal    Rollison when locking him up, he was not so lucky; “fined one pound”.
Cattle, horse and sheep stealing were commonplace, albeit considered seriously, & frequently long and tiring patrols were made in order that the malefactors might be brought to account. In one case of sheep stealing it was ordered that the animals be produced at the Supreme Court. This was not possible, however, because of the scab with which they were infected. It was then ordered from Headquarters that the sheep be killed, but this the owner refused to do. The outcome of the affair was that the Corporal received instructions that he should be the executioner, and eventually, having shot the sheep, he left by mail for the Criminal Sittings armed with 12 fresh sheepskins on which the brands were identifiable.
These were the years when horses were a veritable lifeline of communication and travel. Prior to the construction of the hills’ railway, the only regular and rapid means of communications between Nairne and the city was by Her Majesty’s Mail, which was first run by Rounsevell & Co. These mail coaches were splendidly equipped, and in early times were very spectacular. The driver from Adelaide to Nairne was the well known William Moyse, and no more careful and skilful driver ever mounted the box. His livery was a light fawn top coat, with a   liberal display of buttons and light belltopper, and it was the delight of small boys to see the coach with its five horses, all beautifully groomed, come  spanking through the town. Its approach was       heralded by the guard, who had a splendidly       constructed seat at the top left-hand corner behind the cabin, just above the door. He was arrayed in a bright scarlet coat with a braided cap, and by means of a bugle as long as his arm, let the whole neighbourhood know that the Royal Mail was       approaching. September, 1867, saw the licensing of Cobb & Co.’s coach coming to Mount Barker.  
(3)   The police horses came frequently from the out lying stations to be shod. Police horses “Kanyaka”, “No Name”, “Doubtful”, “Don Juan”, “Smoker” and “Gerant” came to Mount Barker for the use of the south-eastern division, to be forwarded from station to station. Troopers Muller and Golding arrived with the mounts.
      There were charges of breaking-in horses in the public streets of Mount Barker. Alex Mc.(sic) was fined 5/- for being absent from his dray such a distance as to have no control over the horses.

A Station Journal entry.
    “Corporal Rollison arrived at 7 am per mail from Wellington leaving his troop horses at Wellington to be led down by Troopers Jones and Ivy, who are  coming to Mount Barker on Saturday, the horse being fatigued from his late journey, and not having any horse to convey a prisoner, thought it best to take the Mail. Corporal Rollison left Mount Barker on 31st May last, and after searching the neighbourhood of the Sugarloaf, Langhorne’s Bridge, Woodchester, Bremer and   Callington, got on his track at the latter place, and traced him to Gollan’s Station on the Murray on the    opposite side of Thompson’s Crossing [now called Swanport] and back through Bell’s paddock and on to

the Wellington Road to Wellington, where he was seen on Saturday morning at daylight going the overland track through the Long Desert via Limestone Wells.  Corporal Rollison took Police Trooper Fitzgerald’s troop horse and led his own and started on Monday morning in pursuit from Wellington and eventually    succeeded in apprehending him at Lord’s Station in the Milmenrura District, after using up 7 horses in the    pursuit - distance travelled 644 miles.”

[The miscreant was not named nor was the offence he allegedly committed. Editor]


   2nd March, 2007 at 8.00 pm

SPEAKER:    Sandy Pugsley

SUBJECT:      Touring in Adelaide

At Thebarton barracks old Mess Room.

Bar divider

Ralph Hugh Thredgold        
We mourn the sad passing of our late  member affectionately nicknamed “the Grocer” who passed away on Sunday the 7th  January 2007.
Our thoughts go to his wife Merle & his family. 

Respected  member of the Historical  Society

         REST IN PEACE.


Rex Greig, Dennis Irrgang & Ernie McLeod
have acquired 3 battery powered runabouts  to add to our Vehicle Museum. formerly used at Novar Gardens & built by the Lightburn Company.

MEETING PROGRAMME 2007   click here.

16TH TO 25TH March 2007

Games are held every 2 years & offer firefighters, law enforcement,  correctional services & custom officers from around the world a chance to  compete in 79 sporting events.

This is only the second time in the event’s 20 year history that these games have been staged Down Under.


16th March at Adelaide Oval  (This will be a free ticketed event.)   Ticketing information for the Opening Ceremony is available at  2007wpfg.com
17th March, Colley Reserve, Glenelg.
TRIATHLON 18th March, Midcourse Reserve, West Lakes.
22nd—25th March. Glenelg Foreshore.
MUSTER (BUCKET BRIGADE/HOSE CART)    24th March, Hutt Street, Adelaide.
RUGBY 7’s & SOCCER FINALS 20th & 24th March—Hindmarsh Stadium.


For more information:    Phone  (+61 8)     8375 9734
                    Email        info@2007wpfg.com
                    Website    2007wpfg.com

Over 10,000 competitors & visitors from over 60 countries are expected.  In addition to the sports like Swimming, Track & Field & Basketball the 2007 games will also hold many events that have been specifically designed to challenge the competitor’s professional skills,. Such as the Ultimate Firefighter, Stair Race & Pistol-Police Combat.

The programme also includes more unique events such as the Toughest Competitor Alive, Wrist Wrestling, Dragon Boat, Tug of War & Paintball.  All sporting events will be free to the public.


DATES FOR YOUR DIARY       (click here)

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083



Elees Pick

Web site

Society badge


Bar divider





Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2007  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea