Police banner
Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Society badge





Farina 1898—Mail Coach to Innamincka




   President Geoff Rawson.


With the Christmas and New Year Break, the December/January period has been quiet and there is no January meeting to report on. 
 We are looking forward to the AGM on Friday the 5th February 2010 at 8.00pm where I will present my last Annual Report to the Society and the election of officers and committee will take place. 

 I will not be re-nominating for the position of President, or for any Executive position for this year, and will retire to being one of the  volunteers.  I have enjoyed my period in office, but feel that the time has come for change. 
 If any members are considering serving on the Executive please obtain a nomination form from the Secretary.  This form must be lodged at least seven days prior to the AGM.

 I attended the funeral of Shirley Hayward in  December with other members of the Society and reflected on the impact that this remarkable women had as a volunteer.

 At 92 she was still working with press cuttings  almost up to the time she became quite ill. 
Shirley served with the Society for 20 years and will be a sad loss.  She was also a Special Constable in her early days and many will well remember Shirley “running” the Adelaide Police Station in her inimitable manner.

 The removal of records for temporary storage will commence in early January and we will be looking for some assistance for this project.  Many of the records are stored in cardboard boxes and will need to be transferred to archive boxes and their contents checked.  The boxes will be labelled and bar coded and will be stored off site whilst work is in progress.

 2010  promises to be  another busy year  for our volunteers and I urge any members, who  can spare a few hours, to join our Thursday volunteer group & help us to promote and preserve  SAPOL history.  



   Geoff Rawson.




Shirley Hayward



  Esteemed member & dedicated volunteer
of the S.A. Police Historical Society

Will be sadly missed. 



The Sundown Murders &
Essential Witnesses.
by Reuben Goldsworthy.

Arrangements were then made for a Bristol Freighter aircraft to fly to Mt. Isa from the R.A.F Base at Edinburgh.
  On Saturday 25th January, 1958, the plane arrived, bringing Detectives Lawrie Lenton &  Jack Zeunert
to provide assistance.  They brought with them the original warrant for his arrest.

 That afternoon there was an exceptionally heavy downpour of rain, which flooded the Leichardt River.  At one stage the river, which bisected the town was some 200 yards wide.  The runway at the airport was not sealed and it was therefore not possible to leave until the next day.,  When we did depart, the airstrip was still so wet that we barely cleared the fence and scrubland at the end of the runway as our pilot tried to gain altitude.

   The plane had a crew of six, who were in the cabin above the cargo hold where we were accommodated as was the De Soto sedan.
DeSoto sedan

After about two hours of flying, one of the two  propellers stopped.  We were not quite at the point of no return, and therefore, returned to Mt. Isa.  During the next three hours we noticed that both speed and altitude were reduced.  However, we had great faith in the capabilities of the crew.  The only person concerned appeared to be the offender; it was his first flight.  It was only after we landed that we realised how serious the situation had been.  When we arrived, Charles the pilot  appeared as if he had been under a shower, because he was saturated with perspiration.  Due to the long flight back, the single motor was overheating, and during the last half hour he was looking for a clearing on the ground should he be required to attempt a forced landing.

   After a two day delay, another Bristol arrived from  Edinburgh and we flew to Adelaide via Alice Springs.  This flight was not uneventful.  When the plane touched down at Alice Springs it landed so heavily that it was literally catapulted into the air to become airborne again. We then circled the airport before  making a normal landing. The first landing had been undertaken by a trainee pilot who was under supervision; he had previously flown fighter planes.  After staying overnight in Alice Springs, we went to the airport only to be told that there was a flapping noise in one of the wings.  This happened before the engines had been primed.  Even though the cause was not identified, we set out for Adelaide, and arrived safely.  It was later discovered that the very hot weather had caused the fuel to expand, causing a float, which had been dislodged by the bumpy landing the previous  afternoon, to strike the side of the metal tank.

  As a result of the publicity given to the arrest of  Bailey, a Mr. David Iles contacted the Wirrula police station on Eyre Peninsula, and reported to  Senior Constable Grope that he had lent his 0.22 “Huntsman” rifle to Bailey when the latter was in that area in late 1957.

Bailey said that he would like to buy it.  A price of seven pounds was agreed, but Bailey left without paying.
   On being questioned further, Iles said that he went shooting with Bailey in the Wirrula district, and that Bailey had shot a parrot and put it in a wheat bag.  This evidence verified the identification of the bird feather given by the ornithologist at the Adelaide Museum.  It also confirmed Bailey’s connection with the making of the moccasins found at the crime scene.

   Iles also said that Bailey had shot a snake, and a search of the area where this occurred was made.  As a result, a 0.22 calibre shell was recovered, and examination showed that it had been shot from the rifle which had killed the victims.  The rifle was never recovered, but this latest evidence about the gun and the shells confirmed Detective Patterson’s original hypothesis.

   It is said that news travels fast, but it did not reach Nicholas Chizmesya quickly.  On 10th May 1958, he called at the Criminal Investigation Branch in Adelaide, and told me that he had seen Bailey on the Stuart Highway on 6th December 1957, shortly after the murders had been committed.  He informed me that when travelling near Erldunda Station he saw a stationary light coloured caravan attached to a black car and a man examining the right side of the van.  He stopped, walked over to the vehicle, and helped him with a needed repair.  He also saw a woman in the car who seemed to be in deep shock, and that sitting beside here was  a small child.

Mr. Chizmesya was shown the caravan which was then with the C.I.B.  He examined the temporary repairs and was able to verify that is was the vehicle he had seen on the Stuart Highway on 6th December, 1957.  This happened only two days before the trial began.

 This was the final piece of the jigsaw, and we were confident that Bailey would be convicted.

 The trial commenced in the Supreme Court on 12th May, 1958.  It concluded on 20th May, and Bailey was convicted of murder.  Subsequently, his Counsel appealed to the Full Court.  The appeal was dismissed.

   While Bailey was in prison awaiting execution he made a further statement  claiming, among other things, that he had come across a man removing a woman’s body from a car at the scene of the murders, that he had killed him with a knife, and buried him four miles further north.  The case again attracted nation wide media coverage, and the South Australian   Government gave approval for Bailey to be taken back to the scene of the crime to confirm his story.

 On 14th July a commercial aircraft was chartered, and a group flown to Alice Springs.  The party comprised Bailey, escorted by two police officers, a number of the witnesses, the Government Pathologist, the Crown Prosecutor,  Counsel for Bailey, two Detective Inspectors, Sergeant Horsnell from the Coroners office and

Detective Moran & myself.

We were driven from  Alice Springs to Mt. Kavanagh, and arrived coated in dust after nearly colliding with a grader being driven at high speed toward us.  Next morning we thoroughly searched the area where Bailey said that he had buried the alleged victim, but no body was found.  Bailey then seemed to lose interest.  It became clear that he gave up     continuing with his fabrications when he  realised that his bluff had been called.  The whole futile exercise wasted the time of all who were involved.

   On 24th June, 1958 Raymond John Bailey was executed at the Adelaide Gaol.  Detective Moran and I were detailed to patrol the  perimeter in case of a public protest.  There was none.  The two of us were later given a Special Mention for our “outstanding investigation, tenacity and tireless effort” in connection with the case.

It is my belief that Bailey conceived the idea or returning to the victims’ campsite when he first met them, which was when they offered him and his family refreshments.   The Bowman party could not have dreamt that they were to lose their lives despite their hospitality.  He probably decided to rob the Bowmans if he could.  It was evident that he was in financial difficulty. One indication of this was the he had obtained the car and firearm illegally. Moreover, he travelled only a few hundred yards on from the Bowmans’ campsite before stopping for the night.  It would also seem that he carried his rifle to the campsite because he believed that it would provide him with unlimited power in an emergency.  He had also demonstrated his power the previous day when he displayed the rifle and a pistol, which he had concealed in his car, to Mr. Hassell-Brown, one of the key witnesses.

   The offender was convicted mainly on  circumstantial evidence, which was rare at the time, especially in trials for murder.  I was informed that tutors in law schools later used the circumstances of this case to    explain to their students the meaning of this form of evidence.

  As I have said, the investigation of the Sundown murders was the most prolonged and arduous one in which I was involved, and it was a great relief to me and my colleagues when it ended.  Naturally, we were more than pleased with our success. A   detective usually experiences a sense of satisfaction when a challenging investigation ends successfully, leads to prosecution and when the work of preparing and presenting evidence in court results in a conviction. 
   We were, of course, very grateful to the many people who helped us in a very difficult and  demanding  assignment.,  For me and my professional associates, meeting and dealing with many fine people in the course of our work was always a great reward, and these included not only those who helped us, but victims of crime, witnesses, the police prosecutors, other lawyers and informants.  In the course of my work, I met a host of these people.  Some of them still keep in touch with me and some are friends. One is Nicholas   Chizmesya, who visits me whenever he comes to Adelaide.

   Strangely, my recently new neighbour was a nurse in the Alice Springs Hospital at the time when Bailey was passing through to Mt. Isa, and she informed me that he visited the hospital for treatment of the arm which had been bitten by one of the dogs at the time of the murders.  Of course the hospital staff did not know at the time that they were helping a murderer.                        


History of the South Australian Police Association (cont)
by F.A.J. KING


The Police Fund established by the Police Act 1869-70 is hereby abolished as from the 30th June, 1894, on which date it shall be deemed to have ceased and determined.
(1)  Every member who has served in the force prior to the 30th June, 1894, and who retires from the force after passing of this Act shall, subject to the  provisions of section 9, be paid in respect of his service prior to the 30th June, 1894, and amount calculated on the basis of three-fourths of a month’s salary for each year of his service prior to the 30th June, 1894. (note: this dropped the amount payable by the previous Act by one-quarter)
   (2)  Every member who has served in the force prior to the 30th June, 1894, and who has  between such date and the passing of this Act retired from the force, shall be paid the difference between any amount already actually received by him and an amount calculated on the basis of three-fourths of a month's salary for each year of his service, prior to the 30th June 1894.
   (3)   Notwithstanding anything in this section contained, no member shall be entitled to claim a retiring allowance under the provision of this Act and also under the provision of the Civil Service Acts, but shall be paid whichever amount is greater.
  (4)   in the case of the death of any member entitled to receive any payment under this section, such  payment may be made to his legal personal  representative.

 A new police fund is hereby established as from the 30th June, 1894.  Such fund shall  consist of the sum of ₤5,965-18-3, being the proper balance, including interest standing on the 30th June, 1894, to the credit of the abolished police fund.
The distribution of the said fund shall be as    follows: A list shall forthwith be prepared, setting out the names of all persons who were members on the 30th June, 1894, or who became members between that date and the 30th June, 1904. Every member whose name  appears on such list and who has prior to the passing of this Act completed, or who  subsequently thereto completes five years’ continuous service in the force, on his retirement, or in the case of this death, his legal     personal representative, shall (but subject to the provisions of section 9) be entitled to receive a sum proportionate to the length of his service between the said 30th June, 1894 and the 30th June, 1904.

 8.   (1) All proportions of fines, penalties and seizures which after the 30th June, 1904, became payable to the forced under any Act of  Parliament, together with interest thereon at 4 per centum, and all claims forfeited during the preceding year, shall on the 30th June in each year be apportionable between members in     active service on that date, according to the length of service since the preceding 30th June.  Proper books of account shall be kept showing the amounts apportioned to each member.  Every  member, who, after the 30th June, 1904, serves five years in the force shall, on his         retirement, or in the case of his death, his legal personal representative shall be paid (subject to section 9) the amount standing to his credit in such books.  (2) When any person employed in the said police force shall be entitled to the whole or any portion of any fine, forfeiture, penalty or seizure under any Act in force within the said State, the amount of the proceeds thereof shall be applied for the purposes of this section. (Note: The first provision not   being  practicable in regard to the police fund a second attempt was made to do the job once again on the cheap, this time nothing was guaranteed.
Deals with dismissals, retire voluntary without  giving notice, and receiving the written     consent of the Commissioner, or without   giving proof of  permanent incapacity or be incapacitated by reason of own default or  misconduct.

14 Not withstanding Section 15 of the Public Service Superannuation Fund Act, 1902, every member hereafter  entering the police force shall b3become a subscriber to the Public Service Superannuation Fund (Note: at the time of the Police Pension Bill it was already compulsory to be a member of the Civil Service Fund).
As can be seen by a perusal of the relevant sections of these Acts both fell far short of the Pension Bill, as represented by the Police Pension Bill or the Public Service Superannuation Act.
 I have refrained from commenting too much on the Police Pension Bill, as to date I have been unable to obtain a copy.                     

        F.A.J. King

Issues of the Police Journal for 1969 appear to be missing from our archival collection.  If any one has copies of these Journals that they would like to donate to the Society, to complete our  collection,  it would be greatly  appreciated.    

Changing  History
with a bit of creative editing!!

One of the better internet spoofs out there that’s fooling a lot of internet users  is a bogus story that United States     Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid had a great-great uncle, Remus Reid, who was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889.
Judy Wallman, a professional genealogy researcher here in southern  California, was doing some   personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Harry (senator (D) from Nevada) Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid share this common  ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory.  On the back of the picture Judy  obtained during her       research is this inscription:

'Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives,   convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Judy recently e-mailed Senator Harry Reid for information about their  mutual great-great uncle. Believe it or not, Harry Reid's staff sent back the   following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:

'Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory. His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honour when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.'

 That's real POLITICAL SPIN! - THAT is how it's done folks!


Election of Officers & Committee
Nomination Forms available on request.
Nominations must be received prior to
29th January, 2010


Bar divider

From the Desk of Honorary Historian Allan Peters

On the 22nd November 2009, an email was received by the Society from The Deputy Sherriff for Cowlitz County, in Kelso Washington, U.S.A.  Darren advised that he was working on a history project compiling all of the history of Law Enforcement in Cowlitz County.  During his research Darren came across a “Wanted” poster on E-Bay from Cowlitz County that was dated 1921.  The suspect was Frank Dalton.

 Knowing nothing of this poster or the suspect  Darren requested more information in light of the  following entry in the South  Australian Police Gazette.  Dated 8th June, 1921.

Special inquiry is requested to locate one Frank Dalton (correct name Edward Francis Dalton, alias Frank Carlton, alias Charles Murphy), who is wanted by Sherriff J.W. Hoggatt, Cowlitz County, Kalama, Washington, U.S.A. for murder.
Description:- 33 years of age, 178 lbs.. Weight, 5ft. 11 1/2 in. high, dark complexion, dark hair, hazel eyes.  He enlisted at Adelaide, on February 2nd, 1915, and embarked for active service abroad on April 20th of the same year, being attached to the 10th Infantry Battalion.,  He was subsequently transferred from the battalion in France to the Anzac Provost Police Corps, England and later promoted to the rank of corporal, but on October 24th 1918,  was reported as an illegal absentee and has not since been heard of by the military authorities.

His wife and two children reside at Murray Bridge, but they have not heard of him since March, 1918.  A    passport No. 5783, was issued to him at Portland,   Oregon, U.S.A. ON March 17th, 1921 and it is thought that he will return to Australia.  A reward of one thousand dollars is offered for his arrest.  If     located in South Australia, keep under surveillance, and communicate with Detective Office, Adelaide, where his photograph is filed . Vide P.C.C. 964/1921.-(C.2335)”

Darren subsequently found the murder in U.S.A.  archives that Frank Dalton was accused of committing.  It was a brutal bludgeoning of a farmer in Woodland Washington in 1921.
So his question was:  “Is there any way to find out more about Frank Dalton and whether or not he       returned to Australia?.  If so, was he ever captured?  I cannot find any records of him after the murder here in the United States
Thank you for your time.
Darren C. Ullmann”

Allan took up the challenge, locating Daltons Marriage registration:

Groom        :  DALTON
Given Names     : Edward Francis
Bride        :  CRISP
Given Names     : Mary Ann
Date        : 1912-11-16
Groom Age     : 24
Status        : S
Groom’s Father : William Talbot DALTON
Bride Age    : 20
Bride’s Father     : Arthur CRISP
Place        : Res. f bride’s parents Murray                 Bridge
District        : Nai
Symbol        : S
Book/Page    : 253/541
Also the registrations of the birth of this two known  children.
Surname    :  DALTON
Given Names      : William Francis
Date         : 1914-02-04
Sex         : M
Father         : Edward Francis DALTON
Mother         : Mary Ann CRISP
Birth Place/Residence    : Murray Bridge
District Code     :Nai
Symbol        :
Book        :928
Page        : 402

Surname    : DALTON
Given Names     : George Arthur DALTON
Date        : 1915-04-09
Sex        :  M
Father         : Edward Francis DALTON
Mother        : Mary Ann Crisp
Birth Place/Residence : Murray Bridge
District Code    :Nai
Symbol        :   
Book        : 957
Page        : 174

Further research lead to later enquiries relating to
Dalton from the 1930-31 South Australian Police Gazettes.

GAZETTE.  July 2, 1930

U.S.A.—Special inquiry is requested with a view
to locating Everett Frank Lindsay alias JACK GRANT,
alias FRANK GRANT alias HYDEMAN, alias
who is wanted by Sheriff Claude G. Bannick, Seattle, Washington, for the brutal murder of his wife, having crushed her skull, cut her throat, and buried her body in the back yard of their home at Seattle ; and for the rape of three girls of tender years. 

Description :- 48 years of age, 5ft 11 in high, l60 lbs., to 175 lbs. weight, New England accent, brown eyes, dark-brown hair (tinged with grey), dark sallow complexion, clean shaven, deep cleft in chin, small scar on left side of nose or face, poor teeth, probably small partial plate in front, a heavy drinker and associates with women of loose virtue; follows the occupation of painter, plumber, steam engineer, sailor and coal miner; may be carrying discharge papers from both the Australian and United States armies; has         frequently mentioned having been in trucking business in Adelaide before the war, and that he has a brother in Adelaide; also that he possessed a first-aid certificate of and had been a member of the Medical Corps of the Australian Army, that he was a regimental  sergeant-major in  General Allenby’s Forces.

The murder was committed on or about the 20th February, 1930 and he fled on April 20th, was subsequently traced to Oakland California, but eluded the  police there by about eight hours on the 30th April, and may have boarded a vessel for Australia. 

He is probably identical with EDWARD FRANCIS DALTON, alias FRANK CARLTON, alias CHARLES MURPHY, who is also wanted at Kalama, Washington, for the murder (vide Police Gazette, 1621, page 175, “Special Inquiry”).  Dalton is a native of U.S.A., and his wife and children reside at Murray Bridge.  He enlisted at Adelaide for active service on the 2nd February, 1915, and served with the 10th Infantry Battalion in France to the Anzac Provost Corp in England, and was later promoted to the rank of Corporal, but was posted as an absentee on October 24th, 1918, and has not since been heard of by the Military Authorities.  A Passport No. 5783, was issued to him at Portland, Oregon, UY.S.A., in March, 1921.  The photo of the man in uniform is that of Dalton, which was taken in France in 1918, and the two photos in civilian clothes are of Lindsay.  A reward of 500 dollars is offered for the arrest of Lindsay and 1,000 dollars for Dalton.  If located in South Australia, detain and advise the C.I. Branch, Adelaide, by wire—(C.5310.)

August 13, 1930
U.S.A. - Re EVERETT FRANK LINDSAY, alias JACK GRANT, alias FRANK GRANT, alias HYDEMAN, alias FRANK EVERETT, alias FRANK LINDSEY, alias EDWARD FRANCIS DALTON, alias FRANK CHARLTON, alias CHARLES MURPHY, correct name CHARLES TALBOT MURPHY, wanted by  Sheriff Claude G,. Bannick, Seattle, Washington, for murder and rape.  The following is the finger print  classification of offender:- 21/19, 1/1, 21. (C.5310).

December 9th, 1931

U.S.A.—Vide Police Gazette 1921, page 175 and 1930, pages 312 and 3809.  EVERETT FRANK LINDSAY, alias JACK GRANT, alias  FRANK GRANT alias HYDEMAN, alias FRANK EVERETT, alias FRANK LINDSEY, alias EDWARD FRANCIS DALTON, alias FRANK CARLTON, alias CHARLES MURPHY, wanted in U.S.A. for murder, has been arrested at Los Angles, California, U.S.A.—(C.5310).

(Allan was not able to find anything later  than these to state what happened from there but has  suggested to Darren that he is possibly in a better location to now follow the case further.

Like Allan, our curiosity has now been aroused and we eagerly await any further information from  Deputy Sheriff Darren Ullman .)  Ed.

December has been a much quieter month allowing volunteers to catch up on some housekeeping.
However, there was no rest for our ever vigilant Vehicle Team. On Friday 4th December, Kevin Johnson, Mark      Dollman, Dennis Irrgang, Ernie McLeod & Bob Boscense,  flew the flag for SAPOL and the Society at the Renmark Pageant. 


The Commodore, Chrysler Royal, with the BSA and Suzuki  motor cycles were the centre  of attention,
The team handed out brochures to two interested groups contemplating  combining a trip to Adelaide with a visit to our Museum.
 As usual, during several stops travelling up and back, the vehicles attracted quite a few spectators, who asked many questions regarding the vehicles and the Society.
On Thursday a “thank you” BBQ lunch was provided for our dedicated group of Thursday Volunteers.

2009 has been a very busy year for all our volunteers and we sincerely thank  each and everyone, for their  untiring efforts. 

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

                    Elees Pick                

Elees Pick

Web site


Bar divider



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2010  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea