Police banner
Society Banner




Society badge


               INSIDE THIS ISSUE

Click Here
Front Cover
President's Page
Blast From the Past
New Members
Volunteers in Action
Next Month's Meeting

Broken Hill Strike 1917.

S.A. Police Contingent under Inspector Wellington called.


   President Geoff Rawson.

I am pleased to report that our raffle is doing very well with Kevin Johnson receiving lots of cheques with raffle ticket butts.  The  tickets appear to be very well received and selling well with many people I have spoken to   impressed with the prize pool.
 The Society’s Lithograph of Queen Victoria is currently undergoing full restoration and preservation at Artlab at a cost of $2,200.00.  This may sound like a lot of money but the process is labour intensive and will allow us to finally place the Lithograph, with its fascinating history, in the Dorothy Pyatt Gallery when  completed.  

Kevin Beare has been busy and has now completed a montage of photographs of Crime Scenes - including Safe Breakings and Arson. This can be viewed in the Robert Clyne Gallery adjacent to the Drug Display which is also maintained by Kevin.

The recent Preservation report identified a number of issues now being addressed by a sub-committee which will identify what needs to be done urgently and also in the next few years on a priority basis.
Work is well underway on the sorting of uniforms for preservation and proper storage by Bethany Boettcher and Helen Ward with assistance from Dave Aylett.  This will allow us to retain uniforms of the various types in special boxes and to then cull excess uniforms to free up space for other purposes.

At our Monthly meeting on Friday the 3rd July we were   fortunate to have Inspector Paul Barr speaking explaining the use of D.N.A as an Investigative tool.  Paul was able to reduce the talk to layman terms and Alan Hyson was our volunteer “guinea pig” to show how DNA swab is collected. It was clear from the number of questions asked that Paul had created great interest from the very appreciative audience.  

Paul  was presented with a Certificate of  Appreciation and a book and was greeted with enthusiastic applause.
There were 39  members present, and the raffle raised $64.00
Our thanks to all those members who donated the great range of prizes.
Our next meeting will be held on the 7th August with Speaker Don Thorpe, who is an  historian of some note, and  something of a specialist on Lake Eyre.  This promises to be a very interesting  evening & I look forward to seeing you there.

   Geoff Rawson.



Was Petrol the Cause?
Much interest in the cause of the explosion in a well at Gumeracha on Monday, which resulted in the death of three men, has been evinced by Government Officials and local residents.  Police officers and experts are trying to solve the mystery.
Several leading geologists thought that the trouble may have been caused as a result of natural gases.  Had this theory been correct, it was thought that the disaster might have given the key to important mineral developments,  After an inspection of the well, however, experts do not hold out any hope of this theory being correct.

Geologists visit well.
  The Government geologist (Dr. L. Keith Ward) and the Chief Inspector of Mines (Mr. L.J. Winton) visited Gumeracha on Tuesday. Lighted candles were first lowered into the well, and then Mr. Winton climbed down to make an investigation.  He remained below for about two hours, and on reaching the top is reported to have stated that he could not detect any natural gases, but there was a smell similar to that given off by the exhausts of gas or petrol engines.  There was no foul air.

It is expected that the Director of Chemistry and Chief Inspector of Inflammable Oils and Explosives (Dr. W.A. Hargreaves) will also visit the scene of the tragedy to see if they can discover anything that might have caused the explosion.  An inquest will probably be held on Monday.

The theory that petrol may have soaked into the well from a nearby pump is supported by local residents.  It was said that the late Mr. George Farley had stated that every time he filled a petrol tank, which is close to the well, he was about 15 gallons short before it was emptied.
This had only been noticed since October.  Previous to that Mr. Farley had worked down the well with safety.

Tribute from Sydney

On Wednesday, Brig. Gen R.L. Leane (Commissioner of Police received the following telegram from Mr. James Mitchell the Police Commissioner of New South Wales—”On behalf of the New South Wales Police, I desire to express sympathy with you and your men in the death of M.C. George Smith, and sincerely regret the passing of such a brave officer.
Brig-Gen Leane despatched the following reply: “Your kind telegram of sympathy is greatly appreciated, and will be conveyed to the relatives of deceased and to members of the South Australian Police Force.”
In paying a tribute to the late M.C. Smith, on Wednesday, Brig-Gen. Leane said “He was a good officer, and he met his death in performing a brave act.”

Constable Died Before He Was 60.

Peculiar Pensions Regulations

If a police officer takes no risks and lives to the age of 60, he retires and receives a pension for the rest of his days.  If prior to that age he loses his life in the execution of his duty, the bare amount which he paid into the pension fund is returned to his wife.
  That is all he gets apart from an amount under the Workmen’s Compensation Act.  This is the extraordinary position in South Australia under legislation passed in 1916; and the latest to suffer for it is the widow of P.C. Smith, who descended a well of poisonous fumes at Gumeracha on December 31 in an attempt to save two lives, and lost his own.
Considerable indignation prevails among members of the police force over the anomaly, and this is echoed at Gumeracha, where the officer was held in the highest esteem by the townspeople.

Insurance not enough.

It is true that under the Workmen’s  Compensation Act, the dependants of every police officer who loses his life on duty receive compensation up to ₤600, which is the full amount. 

P.C. Tregoweth, who was fatally injured in a bush fire at Burnside two years ago received it; and the dependants of P.C. Clayton, who was killed recently on West Terrace, and of P.C. Smith who will also obtain it.
The point is, however, that when there is a young family ₤600, does not go very far.  In the case of p.c. Smith his annual earnings were equivalent to just over ₤300 a year.  He has left a young widow, a child aged two years and another of five years.  His keenest        ambition was to give his children a good start in life.

Even supposing Mrs. Smith and her family lived at the rate of ₤4 week, in three years, when her eledest child is only eight years of age, the insurance money will be gone.

His own money back.
The only other money which the widow will then possess will be that which here        husband has paid in the pension fund, and ₤150 from the windows and orphans’ fun, which was begun by members of he police force, and which is maintained solely by them.  Summed up, this amounts to the position:- That the two children of a man who lost his life through an exceedingly brave and unselfish act will be infinitely worse off than if he had shirked his duty and were still alive.  Had he not shouldered such a responsibility the Government and the people of the State would, more than likely considered that he had not done his duty.  If it is expected of a police officer that he should risk his life for the community in general, it should, it is contended, be the obligation of the State and the Government to see that his dependants do not suffer as a consequence.

Mrs. Smith’s position
Mrs. Smith Was on board ship returning from Western Australia with her father on the day of the tragedy; and she was with him when a radio message arrived addressed to him.
Exclaiming “Who is sending you new year greetings?”  she playfully snatched it from his hand, and opened it.  That was how she became acquainted with the tidings of her husband’s death.
For 12 months she had been in ill health and had lain in hospital most of that time.  The trip to the West was undertaken for health reasons.  Naturally her physical constitution has suffered a severe setback. 
At present she is living in her husband’s quarters at the Gumeracha Police Station and the Police Commissioner, who has assisted her in every way at his disposal, had told her that she may remain there until she can make other arrangements,.  Her mother is looking after her.  The two children are staying with friends about a mile away, and she has seen them once since the day their father lost his life.

Will the Government move?
At present Mrs. Smith is not concerned with financial considerations, nor with the future.  The present provides sufficient concern for herself and her relatives, but the position must be faced by the Government sooner or later.
Probably, when her funds are exhausted, Mrs. Smith can live with her people, but is it right, it is asked, that an act of bravery by a public servant should result in his widow and children being dependant upon the charity of relatives?
 For some time the Police Association has been fighting to secure Government approval of a new pension scheme.  Under it the widow of an officer losing his life on duty would receive ₤1 week with 10/- week for every child under 16 years of age.
Is this too much to ask of the Government, when it is considered that under existing legislation, the only incentive for bravery on the part of an officer is the knowledge that his dependants will have enough to live on for three or four years after his death?

Bill next session
The Chief Secretary (Hon. H. Tassie) stated last night that he hoped next session to introduce a Bill to improve the police pension scheme.  This Bill would provide for payment of pensions top the widows, and children under 16 year of age, of deceased policemen.
 He had devoted much time to the consideration of a police pension scheme, and had carefully perused actuarial  calculations.
 The Police Association, he said, had put certain claims before him, and he was considering them.  It would mean a large extra cost to the Government, which was a serious matter at present, but, in the light of the pension scheme enjoyed by other public servants, the police had claims for something better than they enjoyed at present.

Question of Providing for Their Dependants

The question of providing for the dependants of police officers killed while on duty, which had been given prominence lastely by the case of Mrs. G.T. Smith, whose husband P.C. Smith, lost his life in the recent Gumeracha tragedy, has caused a great deal of discussion in the force.

P.C.C. V.V. Kennedy, the newly elected president of the Police Association said on Saturday, that under the present scheme of pensions no provision was made for such cases.  It was hoped, however, that in the near fugture something would be done in the matter by the Association.
 Rrpresentations had been made to the Government, and it was expected that a new pension scheme would be formulated to cover the dependents of officers killed while both on and off duty.
 Dependents were provided for under the Public Service Superannuation Act, and it was claimed that in the case of the police no differentiation should be made.
Mrs. Smith, it was explained would receive ₤600 under the Workmen’s Compensation Act, ₤150 from the Police Widows and Orophans Fund, and the amount paid into the Police Pension Fund by the late P.C. Smith, about  ₤130.

When is an officer “on duty?”

A case was cited by P.C. L.B. Fenwick  (Secretary of the  Association) of a constable who was killed, about four years ago at St. Peters.  He was in uniform and was riding his bicycle to work. When only about 200 yards from the station at St. Peters, he was injured and died later.  In that case it was held that he was “off duty” and no compensation was paid to the widow.

Mrs. Smith, Mr. Fenwick explained, was in a much mor fortunate position as she would receive the benefit iof the Workmen’s Compensation Act.  It was to be hoped, however, that the new scheme of pensions would cover dependents of men killed while not on duty.  


On Saturday the 12th May 1990 Commissioner David Hunt  unveiled a plaque at the first “Police Heritage Site” at   Gumeracha.  Following a short address by Chief Supt. Potts Commissioner Hunt addressed the large crowd and as follows is an excerpt  from that address.
  “It is fitting that the South Australian Police Historical Society has begun to identify a number of “Police Heritage Sites” in South Australia.  These sites are of great significance to Police in this State, and indeed to the State History, for policing is firmly embedded in the said fabric of any society.
I am pleased that the first of these Police Heritage Sites is her at Gumeracha, a town and district which has, over the years, been faithfully served by police members who have provided that faithful service, sometimes in situations of difficulty, but always with the re-assurance that in return, the people of this town and district have to a very great  extend provided strong support to them and their families.
It is good to reflect on this very fact, that is the community and its police are interdependent, and that the quality of life in relation to to personal safety and well being is best served when the police and the community relate closely and there is a strong mutual respect and support.  I know that I can speak for the personnel who have been stationed here when I say ‘thank you’ to the people of Gumeracha for that support and consideration over a period of 130 years.
  Mounted Constable George Thomas Smith was one of those men.  He was the “second man” here at Gumeracha when this was a Mounted Police Station, with horses as transport , and the nearest other police stations being at   Williamstown, Mount Pleasant, Woodside and Salisbury.
  Mounted Constable George Thomas Smith was an interesting man.  He was born George Thomas Schmidt, at  Yanyarrie near Carrieton in the North of South Australia, on the 29th May, 1889—just over 100 years ago.  He worked initially as a Blacksmith and then at the age of 25 d3ecided to join the South Australian Police Force as a Mounted Constable.  Our records show that he was a tall man (6’1”) and of Methodist background.  After being stationed in Adelaide for his first 6 months of service (including some training.)  Mounted Constable Smith was posted to Noralunga and Willunga for 6 months in 1914.  These postings would have related to policing the railway line        construction from Adelaide to Willunga.  Usually big strong policemen were posted to control the large gangs of men working on railway line construction and Mounted Constable Smith was no exception.
  He then went to Eudunda from 1914 to 1919 a period covering the whole of World War 1 .  We note that on the 29th August 1918 he changed his name from Schmidt to Smith, following the strong anti-German sentiment of the time.  It is of credit to him that he was able to serve faithfully and well for 5 years in a district with quite strong English and German mixed background.  His next posting was at Snowtown for 2 years and then at the small single man station at Caltowie for 2 years.  On the 9th July, 1924 he transferred to Gumeracha as the second in charge.
  It was on the 31st December, 1928 that the incident occurred which led to his heroic but tragic death.”

In 1989 the Historical Society accepted, from Mrs. Lane and Mrs. Schintal, the daughters of Mounted    Constable Smith, the gold medal awarded posthumously to their father, together with the parchment       certificate awarded by the Royal Humane Society.  A fitting tribute to a very brave Police Officer. 





Many years ago an article appeared in the “New Adelaide News” dealing with our Police Service.
  The then President of the Police  Association, the late Sgt. Joe Naylon & Secretary F.C. Healy called on the Editor & procured several copies. One of which was pasted on the notice board at the Watch House.  The article caused  considerable comment and was  removed by those is authority.
Later Sgt. Naylon again conferred with the Editor and, as a result, it was decided to publish a Police Journal.
  In its early stages there was rather a rocky road to pass, and in spite of  strenuous opposition by the  Superintendent of Police, Mr,. Priest, the Journal was successfully launched and achieved much for the Service at that time, as the daily papers could not be encouraged to give publicity to the many grievances then prevalent.

From this inauspicious beginning, we now have a chain of Police Journals in every State of the Commonwealth, also in New Zealand and we are pleased to relate that in almost every English speaking country in the world they now have their own Police Journal.  The latest of these journals to hand is one from Burma, which is printed partly in English and partly in Burmese.
We now reprint the article as it appeared all those years ago.


A Police Strike! Think of it,. Yet that is what nearly came about in South Australia not very long ago. After various debates between the men and the authorities, a settlement was arrived at, but are the men satisfied, and will it continue?
  The police constable knows we admire him for protecting our property and keeping law and order, but he also knows that admiration does not settle bills; and he thinks we might  cut out the praises for a while, examine the conditions and different shifts he has to work in the course of his employment, and then judge for ourselves  as to whether he is, or is not, due for more remuneration and better working conditions.
The police have a good case. Before the war our police were about the worst paid men in Adelaide.  Certain increases have been given since then, but their pay is certainly not in keeping with the  average man’s expenses in the metropolis.
  It is argued that the police force is a body apart from every other class of worker; that the police are really an arm of the Government, and cannot be regarded in the same light as the rest of the wage earning community, and do not come under the jurisdiction of union principles.
  Whether we like to believe it or not, the fact is there : whatever concessions have been made to the Adelaide police are directly due to their    combination, to their having joined hands and hearts in the power of combination, tand a unity the like of which led to our military victory in the recent war, the benefits of which we are now reaping.
  The rights or wrongs of police trade unionism will not be discussed here; but it cannot be denied that trade unionism unlocked the door to the improvements which every friend of the police will welcome.
  Most of us will look upon the policeman as little more than a time killer, a man whose work     consists mainly of yawning, and telling people the time, and comforting lost children, and replying to all manner of foolish questions.
  Yet, when he threatens to strike we all “get the wind up”.  Why? Because we know in our hearts that he is a most valuable member of the community.  In Adelaide we have quite our fair share of thieves and undesirables, many of whom dare not commit crimes on account of the presence of the officers of the law.
  A police strike would mean the loss of thousands of pounds in stolen property in the city.  The policeman is one of those public servants who are never appreciated until we cannot find him; and then, so paradoxical is human nature, we     condemn this :useless: man because he is not there.
  The constable does more than merely yawn, and although we in Australia do not encounter the same rebellious spirits as are to be found in more densely populated countries, the duties of the man on the beat are numerous and arduous.
 It is not so very long ago that the great siege in Sidney Street (London) commanded so much attention.  A few days before several police officer had been killed by anarchists in Hounditch and on turning up records, we find that within a   period of a few months, no less than twenty four officers of the law were fatally shot whilst on duty.
  They are out in all weathers, and if they are  compelled to work overtime, they get no extra duty pay, but are expected to smile.  If a police officer would find a man burgling your house tonight and arrest him, the officer must attend the police court   tomorrow  in order to give evidence when he ought to be resting; and in most cases he has to turn up for duty
As usual in the evening.  Nobody would care to defend constables who leave their beats during the night in order to sleep; but critics of such neglect of duty might do worse than give a thought to this possible explanation of the lapse.
One hears of the black looks—and more—of superior officer who are dissatisfied with a constable’s small  number of cases.  This sort of thing is wrong.  The policeman is there to     prevent crime, to act as a deterrent, and the absence of cases ought not to militate against his chances of advancement, always allowing of course that no serious complaints reach the office from the scene of his labours.
  It is a fact, however, that many complaints are made against a constable when there is absolutely no foundation.  A constable recently mention to us “If you want to get on in the force, first find out your superior’s friends on your beat, and see that you don’t offend them.”  While we hardly think this is general, some of the officer seem to get on a lot better than others for no apparent     reason,. And the system of promotion is far from encouraging.
The Adelaide policeman, remember, must be no fool   He must know the law affecting vagrancy, carriages, motor cars, highways, lotteries, pawnbrokers etc.  He must have the geography of Adelaide at his fingers’ ends , he must be a walking encyclopaedia, and must answer with a smile.  He must never complain when people complain about him; like Shylock sufferance is his badge, and he must make a respectable show on his pay, live as near as possible to the police station, and make food and clothes a              consideration secondary to rent.
  We expect the policeman to be a saint, yet we have been paying him a wage which was calculated to tempt him to become a sinner.
As an officer on his rounds, finds a jeweller’s shop door open.  Burglars have been there.  It would be quite a simple, safe matter for the constable to help himself to a little of what is left; the whole theft would be put down to the burglars.  But how often does this sort of thing happen.  Very rarely.
You go away for a holiday, and request the local police to keep an eye on your house.  It would vbe easy for the man on the beat to take your silver and blame thieves.   But have you ever had cause to suspect him?
I used to wonder why police officers were so eager to resign the moment their service en titled them to a pension.  Yes, there appears to be room for improvements in the conditions of our police service, and the constables well deserve it.  We have heard some hard things said about them, but they are hard top believe.  Have you ever had a service done for you by our police?  If so, you will know that their services are absolutely necessary, and worthy of legitimate payment and conditions for the service rendered to the community.

 The Police Association Centenary coming up  in 2011 has prompted us to research it’s history and, as a result,  next month we will begin a series of articles on the Association over the years by Retired Sgt. F.A.J. King



As follows are excerpts from an email & letter received during the month of June.

re joseph (joe) ryan

I am the daughter of the late Joe Ryan and was very happy to see the information in memory of my father on your newsletter dated in 2005.  I would just like to mention that the date of his passing is incorrect.  The date my father passed away was the 10th August, 2004.  I would be most thankful if this could be rectified, if only for my personal keep sake.  Kind regards  Courtney Ryan

Thank you Courtney our records will be amended accordingly  Ed.




This is to let you know that  the author of the articles headed Reminiscences of  Charles Hopkins, which appeared in recent issues of  Hue & Cry is Reuben Goldsworthy, who therefore holds the copyright.   Rueben has no objection to the publication in Hue & Cry of the articles he has written, but would like to be acknowledged as the author.

Yours sincerely, Edwin Charles Hopkins.

Thanks Chas. Reuben will be acknowledged in all future publications  Ed.


FRIDAY 7th AUGUST 2009 at 8.00 pm

Lake Eyre is in the news at present as it experiences one of the very rare occasions when it fills to overflowing.  Don Thorpe, as well as being a historian of some note, is something of a specialist on Lake Eyre and its many varying shades and  permutations.  Don also has a close association with the Maritime Museum and will be our guest speaker for August.  His talk will be complemented with excellent    photography of this famous below-sea-level Australian location.  This will be a very    interesting evening, particularly for our members who have an interest in remote and outback  affairs and history.  Try not to miss it.


Bar divider


From the Editor


.01 The Litter Squad and its role is a mystery.



The photo has been seen by many, but so far, no one has been able to shed light on what was known as the Litter Squad.
 The squad is believed to have been in operation around 1975 when it was run by the Public Relations unit and, Police Life believes the photo is the only remaining piece of its history.

 Along with the Litter Squad, Victoria Police has had its fair share of interesting squad names and tasks. 

The Courtesy Car used at Victoria Police around 1955, referred to vehicles with loud speakers fitted toi their roofs.  The cars were used to educate road users and to escort large vehicles through traffic.
Another squad that raised eyebrows was the Accident Appreciation Squad. The Squad was in operation around the 1960’s when their roles involved attending vehicle collisions and conducting an investigation into how they occurred.  The Accident Appreciation Squad is more commonly known today as the Major Collision Investigation Unit.
The Special Branch had the role of escorting and providing security for special visitors such as royalty and other VIPS.  The branch was disbanded in the 1980’s
The duties of the Racing and Livestock Squad, which operated during the 1980’s focused on the horse racing industry, bookies and the theft of livestock.
Today the Crime Department’s Gaming and Racing Desk has taken on the duties relating to the racing industry, while local police investigate livestock-related incident.
Minimal information is known about other squads such as the Second-Hand Dealers Squad from the 1980’s and the role of Jetty Wardens, who policed jetties around coastal and lake areas.
Over time policing needs have changed and will always continue. 

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT VICTORIA’S LITTER SQUAD?  IF SO PLEASE LET US KNOW BY email - historical@police.sa.gov.au or write to The Editor, SA Police Historical Society, c/o Box 1539, GPO Adelaide 5001

Bar divider

This article from the 6th January Edition of the Murray Pioneer come to us courtesy of member Val. Harvey.  Val has not been in the best of health of late and we all wish him a speedy  recovery.


The commercial hotel on railway terrace, morgan, in 1927.

Morgan murder most foul


Crimes of passion are not common place, but neither are they rare, and when one occurred in Morgan in 1919 it had an unsettling effect on this otherwise quite river town.
It  played on the nerves of one elderly citizen to such an extent that he walked up to the police station and asked to be locked up as he was afraid he might commit suicide.
A detailed inquest was published locally concerning the murder of Dorothy Lane, waitress at the Commercial Hotel and the subsequent suicide of the murderer William Vernon Blight., on a Sunday evening.
Blight aged 28, was described as ”a reject, a stranger in the town, quite and seemingly inoffensive”.  Blight had arrived in town on the early part of the previous week, travelled to Adelaide on Friday and returned to Morgan on Saturday.
  Dorothy Edith May Lane’s body was identified by her husband Victor Silvester Henry Hogg.
Farmers Robert Duncan and George Aldridge were in the vicinity of the hotel when shots were hear coming from upstairs.
The two men had to break open Dorothy’s door and her body was found dead on the bed and Blight alongside of her, unconscious and breathing heavily with blood flowing from a would above the right temple.

Between them lay a five-chambered revolver containing five empty cartridge shells.
Doctor George C.H. Nicole, residing in Waikerie, was summoned by telephone and arrived two hours later, when he attended to Blight’s freely bleeding wound “with brain matter there-from in considerable quantities”.
The patient who was described as well developed of medium size, died 40 minutes later of laceration of the brain due to a wound in the head caused by a self-inflicted revolver shot,.
Dorothy’s body was described as that of a well developed young woman.  She was found lying on her back with arms resting on her stomach, head resting on the side and wearing a petticoat, combinations and a slip bodice.
On the right side of her throat were four small bruises and on the left side on larger bruise.  She had wounds on her wrist, above the knee cap and in the centre of the back of the head though the skull was uninjured.
The fatal shot had entered above the left breast going backward and downward lodging in the lower part of the right shoulder blade.
The doctor concluded that the bullet had traversed both lungs and the cause of death was pulmonary haemorrhage.


POLICE had no trouble tracking down a Pennsylvania robbery suspect who had posed for a photo with his victims shortly before steading their handbags.
The suspect. Andre Smith, struck up a conversation with a group of women at a hen’s party night at the Bensalem Township bar this week then posed in a photo.   When two women in the group went into a nearby convenience store, he robbed them. The women recognised him and gave investigators the photo.

Once again our dedicated group of volunteers has be on the go with several in house tours, together with outdoor   activities. 
On Wednesday the 2nd June Geoff Rawson spoke to a group of residents at Resthaven in Finnis Street in Marion. Geoff also provided the Semaphore Probus Ladies with a very entertaining and much appreciated talk on the Sundown Murders.

Sunday 14th June saw 30 members of the Vintage Sporting Car Club join volunteers for tour & Devonshire morning tea. Provided by scone experts Pam Mattingly & Geoff Rawson

On Sunday 21 June 2009, Kevin Johnson & Bob Boscence joined the East Torrens Historical Society in providing a display for the 75th Anniversary.  The event was held at the Uraidla Primary School  We   displayed the Chrysler Royal and the Commodore with a BSA & Suzuki solo motor cycle on the trailer.    Photos show some of the crowd under the  marquee  during official ceremony.  A grateful  School Principal James Parkin poses with Kevin & Bob & the Chrysler Royal.

                    Photos : Kevin Johnson

23rd June Geoff conducted students from Lameroo High School on a tour of the Museum. Assisted by Mounted   Division Officers who treated the students to a comprehensive tour of the Stables.

24th June it was the turn of 20 members of the  Glenelg Probus group to enjoy a Devonshire   morning tea provided by “chef extraordinaire” Geoffrey Rawson, ably assisted in setting up by Wendy Beare.  With tour guides Kevin Beare, Bob Boscence, Max Griffiths, Kevin Johnson, Glenn Mattingly  & Ian Radford






Photos by

Kevin Johnson &

Geoff Rawson



Penrith, Australia

A group of robbers who stole a cash machine in Australia watched as their haul went up in flames.

They used a truck to ram a service station in Penrith and dragged the machine out with a chain. They sped away with it dragging behind the truck, but the heat generated by the friction caused the machine and the money inside to catch fire.

Alerted police found the truck with it's haul still on fire after following gouge marks made by the heavy cash machine in the road.

Detectives hope footage from surveillance cameras at the service station will identify the offenders, who are suspected of at least three other similar thefts.

Daily Telegraph, Australia. May 1, 2002

and now a couple with the shoe on the other (flat?) foot:

1. Christchurch, New Zealand

A man received a mistaken phone call from police saying there were armed officers surrounding his house. The 33-year-old was told to walk out with his arms in the air and no weapons. When he got outside there was no one there and he went back in. A police negotiator still on the phone then realized he had got the wrong telephone number.

The Press, New Zealand, 1st May 2002

2. Oakland, California

Police spent two hours attempting to subdue a gunman who had barricaded himself inside his home. After  firing ten tear gas canisters, officers discovered that the man was standing beside them, shouting "Please come out and give yourself up".

and back to the dumb criminals again:

Victim outwits Danish 'egg' thieves

Two Danish thieves have been arrested trying to sell a designer chair back to the very man they stole it from. The burglars made a crucial mistake when the victim turned detective and set out to track down his own chair, Danish radio reported. The chair, called "Aegget" (The Egg), is a modern classic, selling for up to Kr51,000 ($7,740).

But it was the thieves who ended up with egg on their faces, as the chair's rightful owner sprang a trap to retrieve his seat. Instead of feathering their own nest, the two criminals ended up in police custody.


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083


Editor Elees Pick                          

Elees Pick

Web site



Bar divider



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2009  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea