Police banner
Society Banner



Hue and Cry




Society badge


           line 2010    



Identities not known.

Can you help with the year, and officer’s names?



   Bill Prior

The old display cabinet, formerly situated in the meeting room, is now located in the Roy Harvey Gallery involving  considerable work.  Because of the weight of the unit, all the glass had to be removed prior to the move and each component taken upstairs separately. 

Thanks to Peter Pick, who has vast experience with glass, his advice, assistance and the use of his equipment, resulted in the glass being moved safely.  The cabinet received a full renovation from Max Griffiths and I. It is now fully assembled with a display of a new uniform of the Kennenerland police the Netherlands, donated by Chief Commissioner Bob Visser MPA.  John White has been busy with this    project and we thank all the volunteers who assisted in the move.

In the vehicle gallery, the BSA motor cycle, with engine problems, has been fully repaired and is running better than ever thanks to the work by Ross Edwards.  Because of the tram line extension and  associated road works, dust has been a real problem for both the vehicle section and the museum.  Ernie McLeod, Mark Dollman, Ian Grose, Dennis Irrgang, Ross Edwards and Kevin Johnson have been fighting a losing battle to keep the vehicles clean as well as driving them  and giving up their time for the various events.

Thanks are extended to Kate Woodcock, Helen Ward and Mary Furnell for making the door stoppers in the museum which should help with the dust problem

New volunteers are needed as workload increases in the Society.  The museum committee consists of Kevin Beare, Max Griffiths and John White and as a result is extremely understaffed.  If you have an      interest in working in this area, which includes setting up displays, painting and maintenance, please come and see us on a Thursday.  Other areas which need assistance is the research area with Allan Peters who has become extremely busy.  This is really a two    person job so if you have an interest in this area, please let us know.  There are many interesting and challenging areas needing additional volunteers so please don’t be shy. Come and have a cuppa with us on a Thursday and see if this may be for you.

The Police Anzac Service will be held at the Academy, on Sunday the 18th April at 10.30am and Foundation Day will be     Wednesday the 28th April and will also be at the Academy.  The   focus will be on History of the Academy in view of the new   academy now in construction.

At our monthly meeting on Friday the 5th March Bob Magor the Bush Poet addressed the group with stories and poems.  Bob  had the audience in stitches with one of the    funniest and most  entertaining evenings and he was  presented with a Certificate of Appreciation by Max  Griffiths.

The raffle raised   $67.00.

Because our normal meeting falls on good Friday the next meeting will be held on Friday the 9th April and will feature Peter Alexander the retired President of the SA Police Association.  Hope to see you there.


Kevin Beare OAM

Vice President.





As  the building of the new Academy commenced in February, we will look back at the original academy and its history.

The Vehicle Gallery will be renamed the “Bruce Furler Vehicle Gallery” in the coming months and his story will be included in next months  issue.

If you have any articles for the Hue and Cry please email or forward them preferably in digital form or if not possible as a printout.



Bill Prior was born and educated in Eudunda.   He joined South Australia Police as a Cadet in 1965 and was appointed Course Captain of Course 17. On graduation was awarded the Advertiser Efficiency Cup.


As a non-commissioned officer, Bill served in the Adelaide metropolitan area, suburban general patrols and CIB, country general patrols, Burnside CIB, the Major Crime Squad and Community Policing Section.  After promotion to commissioned rank he has served in Adelaide, Unley, Bank/Hindley Street, Payneham, Tea Tree Gully, Norwood, Crime Reduction Section, Community Programs Support Branch and is currently attached to the Ethical and Professional   Standards Branch.


Bill had been a member of the Executive Committee of the South Australian Historical Society for seven years, having served in that position initially as the SAPOL representative and more lately as an elected member.


In 1997 Bill was awarded a Churchill Fellowship and travelled to Canada and the USA to observe and study the various roles undertaken by volunteer groups within the policing environment.  As a result of that study, Bill has been a keen advocate for volunteers and particularly for greater recognition of the roles they can perform.  He is keen to see volunteers supported through regular training and recognition for the services they provide.


For many years, Bill has been involved as a volunteer with a range of groups, including Neighbourhood Watch, Blue Light, Police Rangers, Safer Communities Australia and the Churchill Fellows Association.  He is currently a regular volunteer for Gawler Blue Light activities, a Zone Leader for his local Neighbourhood Watch and a Board Member for Safer Communities Australia,

Bill is married to Ann and they will celebrate their 40th Wedding Anniversary later this year.  They have four adult children and five grand-daughters. Bill’s hobbies include travelling, particularly cruising and gardening.


We wish Bill all the best in his new position and look forward to new leadership and ideas from our new President. 





By Allan Peters

The following report in the Adelaide Advertiser of October 28, 1861, from a correspondent at Port Elliot, was the first news received by many people in   Adelaide, that their long time friend, colleague, and acquaintance, Police Corporal, Henry Nixon had died.

“Since my last communication I am sorry to have to report the lamented death of our respected Corporal of Police Nixon, which took place on the 15th. instant. Some time since Mr. Nixon, while conveying a native prisoner to gaol received at his hands very severe injuries to the face and head, and from the post mortem examination which was made by Dr. Hill there can be no doubt that they caused his death at the early age of 29”.

Just a few years earlier, life for Police Trooper, Henry Kemp Brown Nixon, had to been going really well, and it appeared he had the world within his grasp.  In 1854 at 23 years of age, Nixon joined the South Australian Police Force, and just one year later was stationed at Wellington on the River Murray, and had recently married his long time sweetheart, Emma Field in the little Anglican Church at Blakiston near Nairne.

On Saturday September 1st. 1855 misfortune struck, and life as Henry and Emma Nixon knew it, was changed forever when Henry was severely wounded and left to die in a gully near the side of the road by a violent and brutal prisoner, whom he had been escorting to Adelaide.

The prisoner, an aboriginal, named Ogongoron, also known as Black Billy had been sought for the alleged rape of a nine year old   European girl named Hannah Phillis, on the 1st. of August, at or near Mount Pleasant.
By a bit of what, at the time, seemed good fortune, Henry Nixon apprehended Billy about seven miles south-east of Mount Barker in the   Adelaide Hills. Nixon shortly afterwards left Mount Barker Police Station and headed for Adelaide with his prisoner, who, handcuffed, and chained to the stirrup, walked by the side of the trooper’s horse.
On arriving at Snapper Point, above Glen Osmond, the prisoner requested to be let loose, “for the purpose of nature”.

The handcuff was removed from his right hand, and a few minutes later, when the trooper was about to re fix it and resume his march, he felt his sword suddenly wrenched from its  scabbard by the prisoner. The suddenness of the attack took the young policeman by surprise and as he stepped back and attempted to draw his sidearm from its holster, he received a severe slash across the face with the sword.

Blood instantly poured from the deep gash in the trooper’s head and face and blinded him, while the intense pain, caused him to stumble and fall.

 The frenzied attack and the life and death struggle that ensued was so violent that the blade of the sword was somehow snapped in two. Yet even then, the aborigine did not let up, he stabbed the policeman repeatedly about the face and neck with the broken, end of the sword.   After Nixon lost consciousness Black Billy dragged the injured    policeman to the edge of the road and rolled the seemingly lifeless body over the edge where he   obviously hoped it would plummet to the floor of the gully, below.

Some time later, as Stephen Gould, who lived, further along the Eastern Road, near the township of Crafers, was on his way home, he found “several portions of clothing and horse-trappings strewn over the road.” On following the tracks of Nixon’s horse and the marks left by the violent scuffle Gould soon    discovered Nixon himself lying on a small ledge protruding from the gully wall just    below the rim, where his attacker had thrown him, he was drenched in blood, covered in wounds and though only semi-conscious, was groaning in pain.

Stephen Gould immediately obtained assistance from nearby Fordham’s Inn [later to  become the Eagles Nest Hotel, and later again, The Eagle on the Hill Hotel.] and conveyed the seriously injured policeman there. 

 Dr. John Woodforde, who was urgently summoned, expressed grave doubts about Henry Nixon’s possible recovery, he reported that Nixon had, “a great number of wounds about the face and neck (from 10 to 15); some were of a dangerous      character; one in particular on the right side of the neck laid bare the carotid artery.  I have never seen a more frightful case of mutilation. It took three hours to dress the wounds.”

The police went all out in their efforts to locate and capture Black Billy, but the difficult terrain, and the continuing rain, which often washed out his tracks, made the task difficult, and with Billy’s intimate knowledge of the countryside he was able to successfully conceal himself from his pursuers.

The escapee was eventually tracked through country along the Murray to Mobilong, some miles upstream from Thompson’s Crossing [Swanport], where it was found that he had stripped a tree of its bark, on an island, with a view no doubt to using it to make a canoe.

Billy at last got up river to Moorundie here he was captured by the Sub-Protector of Aborigines, Mr. Scott who had him returned to Adelaide to stand trial.

Billy pleaded guilty to the charge of having ravished Hannah Phillis, but urged that he was intoxicated at the time of committing the offence, and was therefore not responsible for his actions.

On the Charge of assaulting, with intent to kill  Police Trooper Henry Nixon, the prisoner denied the intent, as charged, but admitted that he committed the assault in an effort to effect his escape from custody.

Found guilty on both counts, Black Billy was  sentenced to penal servitude for the remainder of his life for the rape, and the sentence of death was  recorded against him for the attempted murder. The death sentence was later commuted to one of life imprisonment.

Henry Nixon more or less recovered from the brutal attack, and in June 1861 was promoted to the rank of Corporal, and placed in charge of the Port Elliot Police Station. He died however, on October 15 that same year.

The cause of Nixon’s death was shown as “disease of the brain” and was, in the opinion of his doctor, fully contributable to the injuries he received six years earlier at the hands of the villainous Black Billy.

Nixon’s widow, Emma remarried in 1864 but it is believed that no children resulted from either of her two marriages.

Due undoubtedly, to his having died six years   after receiving the injuries that ultimately claimed his life, Henry Nixon’s name was not added to the S.A. Police Honour Roll as having lost his life in the course of duty.



The following letter from Jim Sykes is in relation to a story published in the  Advertiser Last year  relating to the Massacres of Aboriginal Men Women and Children in the 1800s.  This was not a balanced story being a very one sided affair.  Jim has researched this issue and given his considerable knowledge of history the following article



A recent letter published in the Advertiser suggested we show national reverence for the   nationwide massacres of Aboriginal men, women and children who fell as a result of the invasion of their homeland. There was a reference to the book Blood on the Wattle which detailed some of the conflicts between the aborigines and the settlers.

There is however plenty of anecdotal historical  evidence to indicate it was not a one-sided conflict. The slaughter of the men, women and children,     survivors of the wreck of the “Maria” on the Coorong in 1850 was a vicious monstrous killing of innocent people. They survived the wreck, were unarmed and thereby could not protect themselves or their children. No one survived that murderous assault and to make matters worse, their bodies were hacked to pieces.

When Alexander Tolmer and Major O’Halloran on the specific directions of Governor Hindmarsh went to the scene to investigate, they found natives wearing bloodstained and torn European clothing and possessing watches, pendants, and other jewellery. As a result two natives were identified by their own people as being the principal offenders. They were both hanged over the graves of the slaughtered survivors in the presence of the entire tribe.

There are numerous other instances where settlers and/or their shepherds were slaughtered often after they attempted to make peace with natives. The “Rainbird Murders” saw the   slaughter by natives of a woman and her two small children. They then hid the bodies in   wombat holes. Her husband on returning home and not finding his family searched nearby and made the dreadful discovery.

The Rufus River alleged massacre only occurred after the natives launched an unprovoked attack on the party which was sent to the area by the Government of the day specifically to convince the natives they should cease their outrageous slaughtering of the white settlers.

There is some evidence to indicate that a few aboriginals who were convicted murderers, made good their escape by “careless” gaolers. It would   appear that little or no effort was made by the authorities to recapture them. This indicates that there was a good deal of sympathy felt for        aborigines who were dispossessed of their land by the European settlers.

It appears there were faults on both sides, so if thought necessary, what about a National Remembrance Day to mourn the loss of those, of all creed and colour who died during the early settlement days of this great country of ours?


           John and Patricia Tennant.



                  We Welcome you …….

FRIDAY 9th APRIL 2010.



In April, because the first Friday is Good Friday, our monthly meeting will be held on Friday the 9th .

We will be privileged to have Mr. Peter Alexander as guest speaker on that occasion.  Peter is a member of our Society and has strongly supported our endeavours over many years.  We particularly appreciated his generous encouragement during his years as President of the Police Association of South Australia.

Mr. Alexander served SAPOL for many years as a general duties officer and detective and held the rank of   Senior Sergeant.  During his long service he was seconded to the Police Association and assumed the officer of President, a role he filled with such distinction as to result in his being elected as the inaugural president of the then newly formed Police Federation of Australia.  He served in that capacity with equal distinction until his retirement a year or so ago.  Among other important recognitions, Peter’s excellence and achievements have been recognised with the highest specifically police honour available to police officers in this country, the   Australian Police Medal.  Peter will share his very considerable experiences in policing and Australian          industrial affairs.

Don’t miss this one!  It will be a highly informative and interesting evening  


Bar divider

        Old BSA comes to life again

Three months after the A10 BSA solo motor cycle ceased up during the Bay To Birdwood Rally, we are pleased to say that the motor cycle is up and running.    The motor cycle required a complete top and bottom engine rebuild.


Our thanks and appreciation must go to member Ross (Rosco) Edwards for his gratuitous effort in pulling down the engine, getting new parts and arranging for machining work to be carried out.  Then patiently reassembling the motor.


Along the way Rosco encountered a few problems and subsequently called on his mate Geoff Barnes to come and give him a hand.

Geoff brought his clutch puller and other special tools. Between the two of them they eventually sorted out the problems, having stripped the engine and then rebuilt it with the new parts and putting the motor cycle back together again.


Another BSA friend Ian Lamming (Grumpy) who is a member of the BSA Owner Club of South Australia was kind enough to donate a reconditioned carburettor and throttle cable.  We sincerely thank Ian for his spontaneous gesture.

We would also like to acknowledge the following people who assisted us to get the motor cycle up and running again;
  • Geoff Ellis who made us a new clutch puller.
  • Murray Johnson who supplied new bearings, rings and con-rod nuts and bolts at very reasonable prices.
  • Trevor Junken (Junko) who measured the bores and honed then out to size them to the pistons and cleaned up both pistons, again a reasonable cost.
  • Rick Corbett Engine Re conditioners for grinding the crank and re-sizing the rods at reasonable cost.

Rosco not only put considerable hours into dismantling and re-building the motor cycle, his knowledge of where to source parts and have the necessary machining work carried out was invaluable.  Having himself been involved in restoring motor cycles over many years he has numerous contacts and is well known and respected in the motor cycle world.


We road tested the BSA last Thursday and it performed with flying colours.  It is totally a different bike to ride, running a lot smoother.  It should run for the next 10 years without having any major repairs performed.


Bar divider

The following article which appeared in ‘THE MURRAY PIONEER” on the 14th August 2009, comes to us from member Val. Harvey.


Looking back – an image from yesteryear

Esteemed & Fearless Trooper

BY heather everingham


Descendents of T. Henry Panton have been     invited to celebrate the centenary of Renmark’s Masonic Lodge this weekend, which also marks the centenary of their forebear’s installation as First Worshipful Master of Lodge No.55. Thomas Henry Panton, generally known as Henry, was born in 1854 in Birmingham, England and  emigrated in 1878 aboard the Lusitania.

In February of the following year, aged 24, he took up his first appointment as a police trooper in Beltana. 

He arrived with his horse to find no permanent facilities in which to live and work and his area of responsibility extended from Parachilna to       Kopperamanna along the Birdsville Track.

In the space of six years he was to marry three times; his first marriage was to Lucy Enock and took place at Beltana in 1881, but no sooner had the new police building been completed than Henry and his new wife were transferred to Wilmington.

Subsequent transfers were made to Innamincka, Hergott Springs (Marree), Callington, Minlaton, Port Wakefield,  Renmark and Normanville.

In late 1908 Senior Constable Panton was gazetted keeper of the Renmark police ‘prison’.  In 1909 he passed examinations which together with his seniority saw him promoted to Corporal.

Renmark’s new court house and police station with rear residence, all built of local Spring Cart Gully stone, was opened in March of 1909.  This was demolished in 1961 and the present station erected on the same site.

Henry then had five children and was married to Ellen Jose, originally from Callington. 

In April of 1909 he was unanimously elected ‘worshipful master’ of the new lodge, having been ‘past master’ of the Port Wakefield Lodge. 

While stationed at Renmark Henry was esteemed as “an officer of unusual attainments and capabilities, fearless in the discharge of his duties and considerate to prisoners in his care”.

Henry Panton was a keen reader in in 1911 at a meeting of subscribers of the library, he spoke strongly about the need to move from Fifteenth Street to more central, larger premises.

In 1913 at another library meeting he voiced the complaint that there were too many works of ‘general literature’ and subscribers were being driven away.

He was referring to the purchase of a Home  University series of 60 volumes.  Committee man Gibbons defended the purchase, saying he had found information on a scientific matter and wouldn’t mind buying the lot.

Mr Panton replied: “I wish you would”.  This  encouraged a number of letters to the editor of the local newspaper both applauding and denouncing Mr. Panton’s stand.

Sergeant Henry Panton died in Port Pirie in July 1916, aged 62, and had been in poor health when he visited Renmark friends a few months before his death.

His youngest daughter May, aged 23, died in Renmark in October 1916 while visiting friends following her father’s death.  The Panton family had lived over five years in Renmark.


 Some months ago, it was suggested that we needed a Welfare Officer for volunteers who suffered illness or some other concern.

There has always been a loose arrangement of  sending flowers or a card or making personal  contact.
Di has volunteered to take on this responsibility and in order for her to do so, it is important that she is advised of  any member who has become ill,  hospitalised or passed away.
Di can be contacted by telephone at 82845127 or email historical@police.sa.gov.au  or you can leave a message on the Society phone at Thebarton on 82074099 or Fax 82074011.

For three long days, more than 150 volunteers combed 13,000 acres of scrub near Mylor in a  desperate search for a nine-year-old girl who had been abducted and  attacked.
With time and hope fading, the searchers called in tracker Jimmy James and his brother Daniel to help.
Within three hours, they led the searchers through 20km of seemingly clueless scrub, straight to where the injured Wendy Pfeiffer sat on the banks of the Onkaparinga River that day in 1966.

It was yet another triumph for a gentleman of  dignity and humour, a man caught squarely in a clash of cultures.
In more than 100 celebrated cases, Jimmy became a   legend as a black tracker, unerringly leading police to murderers, missing people, escapees, arsonists and thieves. 
His skills were  unsurpassed-across bare rock or sand, after torrential rain or winds, days or even weeks after the event, he blended ancient bush craft and deep  spirituality to spot tell-tale pointers.
Yet Jimmy’s place in history is more than as a tracker – he played a pivotal role in two cases which helped elevate     Aboriginal status, first from slave lobar, then from third-class citizens.
A new self-published book by Port Lincoln author Robert Holmes documents Jimmy’s extraordinary life and the dying art of tracking.

“I had always been fascinated by him and so contacted him and won his trust to tell his story,” Mr. Holmes said.
“The big publishers were not interested, but I just did not want his story and art to be forgotten.”

The book documents Jimmy’s most famous cases, such as the Sundown Murders of 1957, when three people were found killed on a remote station.
Despite being called in a week after the event, Jimmy and fellow trackers – using the many footprints and tyre tracks- pieced together the series of events from tell-tale clues that led to an arrest.
The next year, Jimmy and two trackers led police to John Whilan Brown, alias Stone, the murderer of the Pine Valley station-owner, despite giving him a four day head start in heavy rain.
Jimmy’s extraordinary skills were honed as a Pitjantjatjara child born at a waterhole near the NT border.

His isolated, self-reliant clan had used superb tracking skills for their very survival since time  immemorial.
Absorbing every nuance of a broken twig or sand imprint, relating it to the wind or season and listening to the land, meant the difference between bush tucker or going hungry.

One waterhole used by his nomadic family became the Ooldea rail siding – for Jimmy it became his first contact with white people and he ended up in the new mission while his parents went back to the bush.
He was baptised but managed to reconcile his new Christian faith with his Aboriginal spirituality.
He later found a job on Mount Dare Station, but after months without pay, he and his fellow Aboriginal  stockmen walked off.

They were caught by the owner, beaten, chained for days to a dray, then jailed, reflecting the justice of the day.
But in a landmark court case at Oodnadatta, the station owner was later convicted of assault with the magistrate noting Aborigines could not be treated as “chattels”.

Jimmy moved to Gerard Mission near Berri, where his tracking skills came to the fore.
His success in hunts despite gruelling conditions and inherent danger won the respect and  admiration of many police such as Max Jones and Bill Newman.   

Yet attitudes of the time often meant he should feel privileged to help white people, rather than being rewarded in his own right.
This came to a head in 1982 when he successfully tracked escaped child killer James Smith for 100km over six days to public acclaim.
Protests about his low pay led to an ex-gratia payment of $500.00 recognising his skills, amid heated debate about exploitation of Aboriginal People.
Jimmy was honoured with an OAM and was the inaugural SA  Aboriginal of the Year in 1983, but his own ability to span cultures was not passed on.
A teetotaller, he outlived his three children who died of alcohol-related problems, and lamented he could not find youngsters willing to learn his   tracking skills.
Jimmy James died in 1991, taking his ancient skills to the grave but leaving a legacy of the search for justice and equality as relevant as ever.
He is honoured with a sculpture at Berri, a plaque on North Tce, the gratitude of those he helped, and this biography.

Lost and Found can be  located in the Police Historical Society library and members are welcome to send requests to Isabel Brooks c/o the Society  either in  person, by Facsimile or email.

 NEWS 4/10/1991

A professional fire eater is trying to convince a US jury it was residual fumes from his act rather than too much alcohol  that prompted police to file drink-driving charges against him.
To back his case, Ted Marshal displayed his skills yesterday in a car park outside the San   Francisco Hall of Justice.  Marshal, 31, is on trial charged with riding his motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol.
His lawyer said the police breath analyser found residual fumes from his fire-breathing act which required he sip a mixture of alcohol and kerosene.


Port Lincoln
Jan.1st 1857

Dear Father,

I received a letter from you not long ago and was glad to hear you were all quite well and that you have had such a good harvest.  I am stationed at Port Lincoln at present. I got removed from Franklin Harbour about two months ago, myself and the corporal could not agree but you can always direct Port Lincoln. I hope to go back again soon because Port Lincoln is such an expensive place.  I am paying £4 10 shillings a month in a public house.  I would prefer living in a private house but this is such an out of the way place that I cannot manage it.  In the bush it did not cost more than 10 shillings a week.  I intend to cook for myself again in another week.  I don't fancy paying £4 10 shillings a month when I can cook for myself for about £2 5 shillings a month besides you cannot go in a public house without spending money.  I think I was speaking in one of my letters that I was going to buy a Mare but I did not at that time.  I bought a filly about a month ago, I gave £27 for her and to be in foal.  I shall let her stay with the horse until I see she is in foal and then I'll break her in.  I was offered two pounds from my bargain the day after I bought her.  If I get luck it will pay good interest for my money I laid out.  We have no Bank in Port Lincoln, I put my money in Captain Bishop’s hands, he keeps a large store, he is a banker for most people in Port Lincoln, it's a sure bank but he gives no interest.  I am having a square up with him now, I'm not exactly sure what I have in his hands because he has not made up my book.  I have my things from him.  I should think I have £30 in his hands now but I will say in my next letter what I have got. I shall have been in Port Lincoln one year the latter end of this month.  The sheep farmers in this part having finished shearing about six weeks ago, they are now carting it to Port Lincoln to be sent to Adelaide.  Price Morris has to cart the wool of 30,000 sheep 80 miles, it is all done by bullocks, they take four days to come that distance.  Port Lincoln has been very busy this last six weeks owing to the shearers coming in to spend their money, they generally bring him about £42 to £60 each and you would be surprised to see how soon they could spend it, they will spend it in about a week some of them.  I saw one man to come in on a Sunday morning and of course he got drunk and about half an hour and nothing will do but champagne and claret for the rest of the day, next morning he asked for his bill and it came to £27 for one day, and so they go on until they spend all and of course they have to engage for another 12 months.  It is quite laughable to see them lying about the public houses.  Harvest is just begun, the wheat looks very well indeed.  They have finished a harvest.  Hay is fetching about £5 tonne. I get plenty of writing.  I was sent last month about 88 miles up the country on Bailiff duty, there being no Bailiffe in Port Lincoln, so that police has to act, I got £2-7 for that trip.  I was just returned two days, I was sent up country about 110 miles.  On a Pound 110 shillings for that trip.  I went to fetch a horse.  I like the Bailiff duty best.  Very seldom we get so much extra in one month.  I received a letter from Sarah Grace, they are all quite well.  You have heard of Edward (Porots?) death, uncle had 50 acres of wheat in so if that is the case I should think they are doing very well.  Since writing this will enclose S. G. letter because I know you would like to know all particulars.  I hope you have spent all a Merry Christmas as for me I don’t think more about Christmas than I do of another day.  I am very well contented and very comfortable.  Give my kind love to mother and all the family and wishing you all have had a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year,

I remain,
your affectionate son,
John Mudge

PS I shall send my letter to sister next time. I quite forgot who I sent my last letter to if it was to Sarah or Agnes.

ELEES PICK – By Kate Woodcock.


Occasionally there comes along a person at our Society whose efforts would be called “Above and Beyond the Call of Duty”.  Such a person is Elees.

Elees has recently resigned as the “Hue and Cry” Editor and is no longer one of our Thursday Volunteers, but she will still remain a member of the South Australian Police Historical Society.

Over the past years Elees has worked tirelessly for the Society.  These are some of the tasks that she has performed:


We would like to thank Elees for everything that she has done to improve and progress the South Australian Police Historical Society.

We have just one criticism of Elees – and that is that she could not get Geoff to tidy his desk!

  On Sunday the 21st February 2010, the Elizabeth Probus Club was the first Museum Tour for the Year.
 Volunteers Vice President Kevin Beare, Geoff Rawson and Ray Freak entertained the small group in the afternoon as they enjoyed the Mounted Section, Vehicle Museum and the four galleries of our Main Museum but the Devonshire was considered to be the hit of the day. The visitors really enjoyed their afternoon and Kevin has been invited to address one of their meetings in the near future.


On Thursday the 26th February David and Sarah Barr the parents of the late David      Thomas Hill Barr presented the SA Police     Historical Society with a framed memorial to their son who died on the 26th July 1990 after being stabbed at the Salisbury Bus                  Interchange. 

The Memorial, which in due course will be proudly displayed in the Dorothy Pyatt Gallery,  includes his medals, press clippings and photos of David.  We were greatly honoured to receive this mark of respect to a fallen officer and the Museum Sub Committee is examining the possibility of a wall of remembrance honouring officers killed in the performance of their duty.  The July edition of the Hue and Cry will include a special feature to commemorate the 20th anniversary of this tragic loss of life.


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

Geogg Rawson


Web site


Bar divider



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2010  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea