Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Click Here.

Society badge


           line 2010    





Alexander Tolmer, Commissioner of Police 1852-1853. 


Welcome to the Spring edition of the Hue and Cry.  There have been a number of significant events during the past three months and these are reported in other sections of this publication.  Perhaps most significant was the retirement of Commissioner Mal Hyde, who completed his tenure as Commissioner of the South Australian Police in July 2012. 

Commissioner Hyde was a great supporter of the Police Historical Society.  He approved the establishment of the Historical Section within the (then) Community Programs Support Branch.  Later that position was transferred to the office of the Deputy Commissioner.  This then led to much closer ties between SAPOL and the Historical Society with additional support particularly in the areas of funding, administration and Information Technology.

Commissioner Hyde was also the Patron of the Society and demonstrated his support for us by attending many of our important functions.  Nothing demonstrated his support for us more than his willingness to make time available to attend at our Thursday gathering on the day before his official retirement.  We wish both Mal and Marcia a long and happy retirement.

The Society congratulated former Deputy Commissioner Gary Burns on his appointment to the role of   Commissioner.  It has been custom for the Society to invite the serving Commissioner to be our Patron.  I am very pleased to advise that Gary has accepted our invitation to be our Patron. Gary has been our Vice-Patron during his term as Deputy Commissioner and has also been a great supporter.  We look forward to continuing our strong working relationship with both Gary and SAPOL generally.

One of the highlights during the past months was a 'trial' of an evening tour through the Museum.  This    presented a few minor challenges, including  the need to purchase and install additional lighting in the Motor Vehicle Gallery so our vehicles could be appropriately displayed.  I am pleased to advise that this 'trial' proved extremely successful and it is probable that we will introduce more evening  tours, particularly during summer months.  However, we would really appreciate the assistance of more volunteers to assist as tour guides and general assistants on such occasions.  If you would like to be part of these events, please contact us, or better still, come along one Thursday to see what we do.  I am sure you will find a very friendly group of people who have very similar interests to yours.


 Bill Prior.


The AGM of the SA Police Historical Society Inc will be held in the Meeting Room Thebarton Barracks at 7-30pm on Friday the 1st February 2013. All Executive positions will be declared vacant.  Members please consider nominating for all Executive and  Committee positions. Nomination for offices and Committee positions must be in writing and pro forma documents are available from the Secretary.  Completed nominations must be received at the Secretary’s office no less than seven(7) days prior to the date of the meeting.



Alexander Tolmer –
Photo no 991

Tolmer 17-19yrs age in the uniform of the 6th
lancers  —Photo no 5291.


From the following publications ;- ‘Some Adventures of Alexander Tolmer’ by Murray Tonkin, ‘Colonial Blue’ by Robert Clyne, ‘South Australia Police 1838-2003’ by Chas Hopkins, ‘Tales of the Troopers’ by Jean Schmaal, ‘Australian Dictionary of Biography’ by J Mayo and ‘Reminiscences Volume 1 & 2 ’ by Alexander Tolmer.

Alexander Tolmer is a very important part of our Police History.  He was the first Commissioner to be drawn from the ranks.  He probably saved South Australia from bankruptcy with the Gold Escorts for which he was hailed a hero by the people of South Australia. 

He was, quarrelsome, hasty tempered, blunt, flamboyant and would not suffer fools gladly.  These are but a few of the terms to describe this remarkable man. 

He was born in England in 1815, his father French and his mother German.  He was taught French by his father who intended him to be a teacher, but the rebellious Tolmer had other ideas and ran away to sea but did not enjoy the experience.  He joined the British Legion 6th Lancers Portugal Department  fighting for Queen Donna Maria against her brother Don Miguel who disputed her right to the throne.  At 17 years of age he was a veteran and had been seriously wounded in battle.  Queen Sophie herself decorated him with the Portuguese Order of the Tower and Sword in 1833.  (This medal is on display in our museum in the Bob Potts Gallery).

He was 21 years of age and acting adjutant and riding master of Britain’s crack cavalry finishing school where he was overlooked for promotion.  As a result he approached a friend of his father named Randall who advised him to go to the new Colony of South Australia. He bought Tolmer out of the army and paid fares for the trip for his family, wife Mary, son Horace and Sister Elizabeth Carter.

They sailed in the “Brankanmoore” and eventually arrived at Port Adelaide in 1840 travelling in a bullock dray to Hindley Street where they stayed at the Black Bull Hotel for their first night.  He visited Governor Gawler with his letter of introduction from his Commanding Officer Colonel Brotherton.  Gawler had fought alongside  Brotherton at the battle of Waterloo. The Governor appointed Tolmer as a Sub Inspector responsible for training Foot and Mounted Divisions. He was also appointed Captain and adjutant of cavalry in the Volunteer Militia.

The force was headed by Superintendent Inman and this was to prove to be a difficult relationship.  Not long after this Inman was forced to leave the police force and Thomas O’Halloran was appointed as the  first Commissioner of Police.

Tolmer proved to be an excellent horseman and policeman and was active in chasing cattle rustlers and horse thieves. He accompanied Thomas O’Halloran’s force which executed two aboriginals who had  allegedly killed the survivors of the “Maria”.  Tolmer led many expeditions to prevent trouble between settlers and aboriginals and spent much time in the bush pursuing cattle thieves, murderers, smugglers and seeking illicit stills.  His duties also took him to Tasmania and Victoria.

 He was prone to the odd mistake and on one occasion, when on horseback in Rundle Street, he recognised an escaped convict, Patrick Murphy who had £100 on his head.  With great flourish he rode up and grabbed the man by the shoulder.  His spurs dug into his horse which reared up in protest and he was thrown to the ground. Tolmer was then involved in a fight with the offender, much to the amusement of the many onlookers.  Murphy broke away and ran into the Plough and Harrow Hotel, pursued by Tolmer.  Another fight followed watched by the many spectators in the hotel who thoroughly enjoyed this impromptu entertainment.
Tolmer led the offender towards King William Street where the man broke away again and ran into Pearce’s Tailor Shop to the astonishment of Mr Pearce, with both men jumping over the counter. ( Mr Pearce was the Uncle of Trooper Pearce who was murdered near Kingston.)  Tolmer      subdued the man again and took him to the Police Station (now the GPO) where Inspector Stewart had doubts about the identity of this man.  Tolmer left to retrieve his horse and in the meantime, Inspector Stewart took him to a Magistrate who released him.  Murphy made his escape and was never seen again. It was later established that Tolmer did indeed have the right man, and he made a formal complaint. 

Tolmer was promoted to Commissioner of Police on 3rd February 1852 at a critical time for the Colony.  He wrote to Queen Victoria requesting her permission to wear his medal and after a long period of time she replied with a refusal.  He wore it anyway ignoring the Royal refusal.  Gold was  discovered in Victoria in 1851 and most able bodied men left the Colony for the goldfields taking cash and leaving spouses and children behind almost destitute.  The Colony was almost bankrupt, with  merchants heavily in debt.   The banks needed sufficient gold in their vaults to redeem notes.  The Bullion Act was passed and Tolmer proposed police escorted trips to the goldfields.  He did not receive a   reply but instead received an order to  reduce the force by 50 men by the end of the month. 

Photo no 1257—Sign Gold Escort Route– Mt Alexander
Historical sign completed 12th September 1963 by Wimmera Shire Council in conjunction with Country Roads Board of Victoria to mark where the old escort route from Mount Alexander (near Castlemaine) to Adelaide crossed the Western Highway 4 miles north west of Horsham ( although the present highway did not exist in 1852). The route was pioneered by a South Australian Surveyor McLaren and used by Tolmer for the 1st 4 escorts.

Eventually his scheme was accepted and he looked for a shorter route to the diggings via “Scotts Wood Creek Base”.  After making his first trip, he returned with gold from the diggings after issuing  receipts to the SA gold miners.  He was hailed a hero by the public and probably saved the colony from bankruptcy.  He also modestly suggested that a Police Station and town be established at “Scotts Wood Creek Base” and that it should be call Tolmer-town after himself.  His suggestion was rejected by the establishment who were openly hostile to this upstart and they decided to call the town by its present name “Bordertown”.  He made 3 such trips and others were later made without him.  These gold escorts were very difficult in otherwise unknown country with bushrangers waiting for an opportunity to rob, difficult terrain and at times crossing  rivers by removing wheels of the cart, and manhandling the cart across rivers.
When he returned from his third escort, he found that Inspector Stuart left in charge had made a hash of things.  Tolmer was reduced in rank to Inspector in 1/3/1853, raised to  Senior Inspector in 1854 and Superintendent in 1855.  He left the service in 1856 when his position was abolished due to budget cuts.

Tolmer experimented with the First Detective Division and established Water Police to patrol the Port River as well as a native police force. He also proposed a superannuation scheme for police.   He was a competent artist with watercolours and sketches, one of which found its way into Queen Victoria’s possession.  He was a good musician and played the violin while his wife played the harp.  He was also an inventor, designing an improved ammunition pouch for light cavalry (whilst in the British Army) and designed and patented a breakwater at the Murray Mouth involving a system of hinged plates.

Alexander Tolmer aged 73yrs,
a year before he passed away.
Photo no 4411.

He also designed a bridge over the River Torrens.  This caused the Surveyor General considerable umbrage as he had designed a bridge that would have cost £20,000 whereas the bridge designed by Tolmer was to cost £1,000.  The Surveyor General got his way and his bridge was built, only to be washed away in a flood 12 months later.  The remains of this bridge can still be seen on the banks of the Torrens (south bank– West of the Convention Centre).

Tolmer became involved in a trading venture on Lake Alexandrina which failed, as did his attempt to cross Australia from South to North in 1859 and a grazing enterprise on Emu Springs and Reedy Well runs in the South East.  He was appointed a Crown Lands Ranger in 1862 and in 1877 sub-inspector of credit lands.  He retired in 1885 and invested his money in Broken Hill mining shares.

Tolmer’s wife Mary passed away in 1867 leaving 3 sons.  He married Jane Douglass in 1869 at Mount Schank Station and had four daughters and two sons.  He died of uraemia at Mitcham on 7th March 1890 survived by his wife and large family, and was buried in Mitcham cemetery after an Anglican service.  His estate for probate was valued at £8350.  .

The Tolmer family of second marriage, James, Bert, Elizabeth, Bell, Jane (wife), Nell, Richard.
Photo no 22505.

Photo 9355. Tolmer’s gravestone in the  Mitcham Cemetery

Portuguese Order of the
Tower and Sword.


Medal Design.

The medal was designed by Inspector Rick Steinborn of the NSW Police Service and the ribbon by Federal Agent James Cheshire of the Australian Federal Police.

The medal is finished in cupro-nickel. The St Edward’s Crown, representing the Sovereign whom all   Australian police officers ultimately serve, is located on the suspender bar. The front (obverse) of the medal features the Federation Star located inside an unbroken circular chequered band, known as ‘Sillitoe  Tartan’. The Federation Star represents the national scope of the medal, while the Sillitoe Tartan is the internationally recognised symbol of policing.

The unbroken band surrounds the star, signifying the unity and cooperation between each of the individual state, federal and territory police forces who together protect the entire Commonwealth. The back (reverse) of the medal has two sprays of golden wattle, the national floral symbol, located immediately below a raised horizontal panel on which the recipient’s details can be engraved. The words ‘FOR SERVICE AS AN AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER’ appear in capital letters around the inside of the outer rim.

Medal ribbon.
The ribbon has a central panel of three stripes of dark blue, gold and dark blue. The central panel is flanked by white panels, each bisected by a thin red stripe. Blue and gold are Australia’s heraldic colours, commonly used in the ribbons of Australian medals, while the blue and white are colours traditionally associated with police and police awards. The thin red stripes     represent the ever-present hazards experienced in service as an Australian police officer.(President Bill Prior was in the first group of recipients of this service medal)


One of a series of  'Believe it or not' short stories by Jim Sykes.

My first day at Marree was hustle and bustle with the furniture being unloaded by Eddie Trotter and his mate. My wife and children arrived by train the next morning at about 2 am, and I was 5 minutes late meeting them. They must have thought they were in the wrong town except for the sign on the railway station. The place was pitch dark and I met them struggling across a bull dust paddock, being helped by the local Station Master. On arrival at their new home lit with feeble candle light, [the previous policeman having sold his lighting plant to a local the day before], we soon had the three children bedded down.
We had the next day together, unpacking and arranging furniture. I then went through the office books again as I had only a quick changeover audit with the outgoing policeman the day before, while trying to unload furniture and shift in while he was shifting out.
The next day at about 4 a.m., I woke to the sound of pounding on the office door [attached to the house] and found the Station Master there with the news that a train had just arrived from the north and that a body of a man was aboard. When passing through Edwards Creek Fettlers Camp, the train had been stopped and the body put aboard. The only message which came with it was third hand verbal, to the effect that the deceased had been working for the Commonwealth Railways as a Fettler at Edwards Creek, when he had dropped dead. He was apparently a Greek who had a few friends but no known relatives.
I drove over to the railway station and was shown into a van where the body of a man wrapped in blankets lay. We loaded the body into the Land Rover and brought it back to the Police Station where it was placed in a cell. I made an examination but was unable to find any external signs of the cause of death. The body was that of a male person of about 25 to 30 years of age and was fully clothed. A bank book in his hip pocket showed the name of   Mitsiaris Xanthopoulos with the address, 'c/o the Commonwealth Railways, Port Augusta'. I 'purchased' a coffin from the local store, placed the body in it.
I made enquiries with the locals and was told that Edwards Creek was just a little way up the line, but it would probably take me all day to get there because the road was a bit rough. There was a track  near the rail line which I should follow, except for various sand hills and creek crossings which I ought to go around if I could.
I loaded the Land Rover with fuel and water and made up a sleeping bag and with some emergency food, set off at about 8 am to investigate the death. I left my wife and children in a strange town with a  body in a cell near the back door. The family had to walk past the cells to get to the toilet.
True to predictions, I travelled all day through some of the worst road conditions I had ever experienced. Flooded creeks forced me to make long detours until I could find a firm crossing. Sand hills drifting across the track caused other long detours and by the time I reached Edwards Creek at about 8 pm that night, "just a little way up the line" turned out to be about 200 miles.
The next day I interviewed all the fettlers and the Gang boss. It appeared that the deceased, who had been working there for several months, had confided to another fettler the night before his death, that he had a premonition he was going to die the next day. This was supported by several other men who had all tried to talk him out of the apparent death fixation. On the day of his death it was very hot. Temperatures on the rail track were about 150 deg F and although the other workers took frequent rests and consumed large quantities of water, the deceased refused to stop working, even to the extent of missing his morning tea and lunch breaks. He also refused to drink fluids, constantly telling his work mates he was going to die. Early in the afternoon the Gang Boss became worried about the deceased and told him to stop working and go and  rest in the shade. Again the deceased refused and began talking in a foreign language. He was wielding a heavy pinch bar on a rail track he was helping to shift into position, when he put his hands to his head and screamed and then collapsed. His work mates were unable to revive him and it soon became apparent to them that he was dead.
As there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death, I gathered up the deceased's meagre belongings and returned to Marree the same day but by the time I got back, the body was in very poor condition.
It was now three days since the death had occurred and I thought it would be appropriate if a post mortem was made to determine the cause of death. The fact that death had occurred was not a problem. We did not have any body boxes or refrigeration or any ice for that matter, so I had to take decisive action immediately. As the town of Marree was serviced medically by the Royal Flying Doctor at Broken Hill, I rang the Leigh Creek Police to see if their local Doctor would perform the autopsy. He refused my invitation and I didn't blame him. Under the Coroners Act I could have had my local Justice of the Peace, as a Coroner, make an order to that Doctor to perform the post mortem. However, although the Act provided for that order, it did not provide a penalty if the Doctor refused to obey. In any case it would have been another day old before I could arrive at Leigh Creek.
I rang the Port August C.I.B. who were not particularly interested in becoming involved when I explained the circumstances  which lead to the death. Enquiries with doctors at the Port Augusta Hospital met with a flat refusal to assist with an autopsy. Finally the C.I.B. suggested my local Coroner handle the whole thing and that the deceased be buried in the local cemetery.
Being new to the area I was not happy with the "help" I received. At that moment however, my prayers for a solution were answered, when an aircraft swooped over the Police Station, blipping its motors and wagging its wings, before turning in the direction of the airstrip. I quickly drove to the strip and found that the plane was from Broken Hill, and the first person to alight was Dr. Huxtable of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. A most fortuitous arrival indeed.
I soon found that the Doctor and his Pilot usually stayed at the Police Station when visiting the town. On this occasion they had dropped in to meet the new policeman on their way back from a Clinic run. After a good meal I invited Dr. Huxtable to give me some advice on the problem I had in the cell. After telling the whole story we went out the back of the Station to examine the body. Dr. Huxtable remarked that I did not have to open the cell door because he was prepared to certify that whatever was in there, was dead. This wasn't good enough however, and I managed to persuade him to make a full examination, reluctant though he was. The end result was that I obtained a signed statement certifying death and suggesting the most probable cause of that death was heat stroke, brought about by insufficient fluid intake.
I now had sufficient evidence to put to the Coroner who duly issued me with a burial order. I soon found there wasn't anyone in the town to handle burials so I arranged for a gang of fettlers to dig the grave. I used the police Land Rover as a hearse and  officiated at the funeral, reading appropriate prayers from the bible normally used to swear in witnesses during Court hearings at the Station.
All went well until I found the deceased had no relatives in Australia or Greece, was a prohibited immigrant, who was to be deported when the Commonwealth Police located him, and had assets of only 30/-. It was almost two years before the Greek Consulate finally paid the local Store for the coffin, and during that time I had to make numerous reports on the matter to satisfy those who questioned my actions.
I was never paid for some sundry expenses incurred, such as a grave marker and beer for the grave diggers and there was never a thought or concern expressed about the hardship my wife and family put up with during the time the body was in the cell.
Bring back the good old days! I wonder!


The Police Historical Society have a number of Police Memorabilia and books for sale.
Please see what books are on offer and the monthly special, on-line.     Keep checking as new items will be added soon.


The History of Police Chaplaincy 1993-2012.
By Dianna Bartlett (Senior Police Chaplain)

The South Australia Police Voluntary Chaplaincy Service was approved by the Commissioner of Police and Gazetted on October 27th, 1993. This followed the appointment of three chaplains for a pilot programme of six months. The appointments were made at Whyalla, Berri and Stirling. At the conclusion of the pilot programme, the scheme was assessed and a report submitted with  recommendations to the Commissioner for the implementation of a Chaplaincy Service across the state.

The Commissioner and the Senior Executive Group were unanimous in their support that such a scheme be developed. Assistant Commissioner Human Services, Mr John Beck was the major instigator and supporter of the programme. AC Beck and the then Senior Welfare Officer, Rev David Marr, consulted with the executive of the S.A. Police Association, who were very supportive and encouraging about establishing the support service for police members, their partners and families.

AC Beck and Rev Marr addressed the South Australian Heads of Christian Churches meeting in order to brief them about the intended programme. At the conclusion of their meeting, the Heads of Christian Churches unanimously indicated support for the establishment of the Voluntary Police Chaplaincy Service.

Rev David Marr was appointed to the position of Senior Police Chaplain and remained in the role until his retirement in 2009.   Following David, Rev Dianna Bartlett was appointed to the position and commenced on 1st December 2009.

Since 1993, Chaplains have been appointed to the various Police Local Service Areas and branches across the state, regularly visiting the police stations of their area and making themselves known to personnel.

The role of the Police Chaplaincy Service is to minister to the spiritual welfare of employees, retired members and their immediate families. Services offered by chaplains are complementary to and work alongside the other services of the Employee Assistance Section, Welfare and Psychology.

Voluntary Chaplains are available 24 hours a day and they only involve themselves when their presence is required. They do not impose themselves in any situation. Their tasks include but are not limited to: the traditional departmental functions, faith/spiritual conversations, prayers/benedictions/blessings, weddings, funerals and baptisms; counselling regarding personal and ethical problems relating to work, relationships or family, training, hospital and home visits.

There are currently 33 Voluntary Chaplains serving around the state. They meet once a year at a conference which endeavours to educate them about the unique service that is policing. The Senior Chaplain is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Volunteer Chaplaincy Program which includes: recruiting, training, pastoral care and support of clergy.

Clergy have supported the troops with countless hours of voluntary service.  Many describe it as their bit of sanity in their   working week. It is a rewarding role to journey with staff, the highs, the lows and all of life’s actions in between and to help make meaning out of often stressful and chaotic situations.

2013 will see the 20 year anniversary of Chaplaincy in SAPOL.

Police Chaplains Conference 2012
Front Row L to R
Welfare officer Helen Grimshaw, Welfare   officer Marie Kennedy, Senior Chaplain Dianna Bartlett, Mary Lewis, CI Tony Crameri (chair)
 Second Row L to R
David Marr, David Hoffman, Brian Mathews, Chris O’Neil, Mark Thomas, Paul Hunt,    Lindsay Mayes, David Hand, Graeme Rogerson
 Back Row L to R
Trevor Keller, Tony Lind, Brenton Daulby, Jeff Oake, Trevor Faggotter, Terry Natt, David Amery, Derek Schiller
 Rear L to R
Ron Roberts, Tim Klein

Dianna Bartlett



Friday 1st June 2012
The speaker for this meeting was Nigel Hunt, (pictured right) author of “The First Police Union” the history of the SA Police Association. Nigel has worked in the media for more than 30 years starting with “The News”, then “The Advertiser” and now “The Sunday Mail”.  He was a very interesting speaker, describing how he researched for this difficult assignment.  There was a long list of questions from the floor which indicated the interest his talk had with the members.  He was presented with a Certificate of Appreciation and “Tales of the Troopers” to well deserved applause. His book is available from the Police Association, Carrington Street, Adelaide.


Friday 6th July 2012.
Professor Suzanne Miller spoke about her role as Director of the South Australian Museum. This was an extremely entertaining talk from a highly qualified speaker with insights into the possible future plans for the SA Museum. Pictured with Vice President Kevin Beare receiving a Certificate of  Appreciation.


Friday 3rd August 2012
Sergeant David Scutchings is a STAR Group member and Churchill Fellow.  David spoke of his experiences in Helicopter Use for Emergency Operations. He was very passionate in relation to his subject and displayed a number of photographs of his overseas trips during his Churchill Fellowship giving insights to new ideas in policing from the air with new technology.   Members enjoyed the video footage from USA with offenders unaware that they were being monitored from the air and officers being directed to their exact location.  President Bill Prior presented him with a Certificate of Appreciation and a book and he received generous applause from the members present.


Remembrance Day—Friday the 28th September 2012 at 11.00am at the New Police Academy.  This will be the first      service to be held at this site. 

65 Years of Service—Dorothy Pyatt

Dorothy joined the SA Women Police on 7 July 1947 and served 20 years with them, including 16 years in Port Augusta.

She resigned in 1967 and took a short break away overseas and in 1972 she re-joined SAPOL as a Police Auxiliary with  Adelaide CIB.  She retired from SAPOL in 1983.
Dorothy joined the SA Police Historical Society as an inaugural member in 1977 and has been with us as a member and volunteer for the past 35 years.

We would like to congratulate Dorothy for her commitment and service to SAPOL over the past 65 years.  Apart from her short break away between 1967 to 1972, she has served SAPOL as a Police Officer, Police Auxiliary and Police Historical Society Volunteer for a total of 60 years.

Congratulations Dorothy.

September - Friday 7/9/2012        Emily Jateff
In April this year Ms Jateff managed a major display at the South Australian Maritime Museum to commemorate the centenary of the sinking of the Titanic.  She is an authority on this subject and has actually visited the wreck itself via submersible in the North Atlantic.  She will have a remarkable story to tell and her visit should not be missed.

October - Friday 5/10/2012        Rob McLory
Rob McLory has recently joined the Society and is a former SAPOL Detective Sergeant.  Following his  retirement he spent a number of years with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and will talk to us about his overseas experiences in particular.

November - Friday 2/11/2012        John White APM
Retired Deputy Commissioner and Life Member John White APM will be speaking about Police Motor Transport Mark 2 after his earlier talk on the release of his magnificent book.  This will be a popular topic for those interested in our motor transport.

Bar divider

Pursuing that elusive portrait of Henry Inman.

The 175th anniversary of SAPOL is fast approaching. At that time the name of Henry Inman will be prominent, being its founder and first commander in 1838. Although Inman held the titles of Inspector and then Superintendent he was, in effect, our first Commissioner of Police.
Kevin Beare has organised a display at our museum featuring the portraits of every Commissioner spanning those 175 years, with one notable absentee – Henry Inman.

Despite years of rigorous searching by various Society members, there is still no known portrait of Inman. When Max Slee researched his biography on Inman in 2010 he was able to locate portraits of Inman’s father and mother, but not Inman himself.

The search continues. Max and wife Kaaren toured the UK and Europe during April-June 2012, making a special visit to the township of North Scarle, Lincolnshire, where Inman was rector of All Saints Church for the final 36 years of his life.

Max met there with local historian Barbara Wells MBE and with Inman’s modern-day successor Reverend George Goalby. Both had assisted Max in researching his book and so were given presentation copies.

The locals at North Scarle, as well as the archivists at Lincoln Cathedral and the Country Archives in Lincoln, are all now well aware of our quest for that elusive portrait of Inman, but so far there is no result to report.

Max photographed Inman’s gravestone so that Kevin has something to fill the blank space, but hopefully that will be only an interim measure.

The former Rectory at North Scarle, Inman’s       Revd. George Goalby (left) is presented with
home for 36 years.
                                                                            Max’s book on Inman.

Max Slee at Henry Inman’s grave, North Scarle

Bar divider

A Remembrance.

On the 1st of November 1942 in the dry sands of North Africa at El Alamein we lost one of our Police Officers.  He was Archibald Montgomery Badenoch, aged 42 years.  He had left his post as O/C Tarcoola to join the AIF and served with the 2/43rd Battalion.

Amid the crash of battle where he lay in a shallow depression he received a fatal shot to his head.  He rests in the El Alamein Commonwealth War Cemetery.

In April this year one of our members, Fay Leditschke, was due to leave for a holiday in Egypt.  She readily agreed to take a tribute to Archie from our Society.

The tour group of 17 South Australians took this unexpected mission to their hearts.  After a long bus drive from Cairo they arrived at the Cemetery.  The group eagerly searched for and located Archie’s grave.

The tribute was of dried gum leaves from my garden.  It was contained in a small box, neatly labelled by Kate Woodcock.  The Tour Guide provided fresh flowers to enhance the tribute.

Archie was our brother Police Officer.

Dorothy Pyatt
Photographic Section

Retired Women Police Chief Inspector Fay Leditschke below left at the gravesite and the tribute from SAPHS below right.



Mal was born in 1950 at Mildura Victoria and in later years married Marcia.  His father was a Victoria Police Officer who retired after 37 years service at Sergeant rank. 
Until his mid teens, he grew up in country Victoria, living at police stations where his father was the local Sergeant ( including Casterton, Donald and Cohuna).

In 1965 he moved to Geelong and from there joined the Victoria Police in 1967.   During his service he has performed duties at country and metropolitan police stations, the Criminal Investigation Branch, and other specialist areas, such as the Prosecutions Division.

He was appointed Assistant Commissioner in 1992 and became the Deputy Commissioner (Administration) in 1993.
He has a Law Degree with First Class Honours and a Master of Business Administration

In 1996 he was awarded the Australian Police Medal
Mal took up his appointment as Commissioner, South Australia Police on 10 February 1997 and retired from that position after 15years on the 20th July 2012. He and his wife Marcia will remain in South Australia and will enjoy fishing, reading and travelling and visiting their daughters Kerryn and Shelley.


On the eve of his retirement from SAPOL our Patron visited the volunteers for morning tea and received a very warm  greeting from about 30  volunteers.   President Bill Prior addressed the group and spoke of the Commissioner’s support to the Society during his term and  presented him with a plaque and PHS cufflinks from the Society.  Commissioner Hyde responded with his admiration for the work done by the  Society.  He is  planning some holiday time overseas with his wife Marcia and fishing.  He was invited to join us as a  volunteer and has indicated he will remain a member of PHS.


Another busy period for our regular volunteers, with a lot of work in the main and vehicle museum, document scanning with new high speed scanning, data entry, archive sorting to name a few, and the museum tours, speaking engagements (talks) and our regular transport outings taking our museum to various locations. Our volunteers have also been busy providing morning and afternoon tea for various functions. The following is a brief summary of some of the activities.

Museum tours-
17/6/12 American GM Car Club, Kidman Park Probus,
8/7/12 Greenock Creek  Charter, and a walking group,
12/7/12 Aust NZ Forensic Science Society (night),
31/7/12 Clarence Park Community Healthy Living Seniors ,
2/8/12 Mt Barker Mens Group,
19/8/12 Barossa Valley Historical Vehicle Club.

Outside events (Transport)
3/6/12 Gawler Reconciliation Event,
18/7/12Classic Owners Motorcycle Club (Sunnybrae Farm) ,

Speaking events (Talks)
13/7/12 West Torrens Legacy ,
31/7/12 University of 3rd age (Henley Beach)
5/8/12  Adelaide Hills Camelia Society (South Tce, Adelaide)


SAPES Games Morning Tea 28 June with (from left) Dawn Cleaver, Jeanette McLean, Bob Ward, Bethany Boettcher, Helen Ward, Di Lugg and Kate Woodcock.

Our esteemed Treasurer Tony Woodcock at our monthly meeting perhaps trying to find a 5cent piece which must have dropped in there somewhere?

Greenock Creek Charter with nearly 50 visitors for a tour of the museums and stables on 8th July.  This large very happy group enjoyed their visit.


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

e-mail :
If you have any articles you believe would be of interest please forward them to the 
Editors, preferably in digital format using the above address.
Editors:- Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea.

Web site




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2012  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea