Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Click Here


Society badge





Anzac Day

Stained Glass window in Memory of  John Edward MacLeod, erected in the St. Saviours Church at Glen Osmond.



SA Police Historical Society Volunteer Dorothy Pyatt at the Police Academy—Fort Largs.
See story further on...


     Kev Beare

This is the third edition of the Hue and Cry in the coloured format which has been enthusiastically received by our members. Currently President Bill Prior and his wife have been enjoying a well earned  holiday on a world tour.
Since our last edition Tony Woodcock, Max Griffiths and myself have been busy cleaning patching painting and re-arranging the board room/library.

Kev Beare


During April there were two special events; on Sunday 17th April 2011 the annual Anzac service was held at the Police Academy.  This was the last service held there under the current situation.  Next year the service will be conducted within the new Academy.
Dorothy Pyatt, OAM gave the commemorative address and spoke on the late police constable John Edward Macleod who died on the 19th December 1944 in Dutch New Guinea.         (See story in this issue)

The placing of wreaths and tributes was done by members Bob Boscence, Peter Stanford and myself.
On Thursday 28th April, Foundation Day was conducted at Government House.  The address was given by the Governor Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, AC CSC RANR. Commissioner Mal Hyde, AO APM gave the SA Police address and Mr Max Slee gave the Historical Address.  (see story this issue) I accepted a certificate on behalf of the Society from the Commissioner to commemorate the event.

Kevin Beare

Our guest speaker at the general meeting held on Friday evening 6th May was by former Detective Chief Inspector Peter Graham, who gave us an excellent talk and power point presentation on the last four Olympic games where he was a commentator.  Charlie Tredrea thanked Peter and presented him with a certificate of appreciation and a book.

Peter Graham

Kevin Beare

— Vice President.





Commemorative address by Dorothy Pyatt, OAM.

John Edward MacLeodToday we come together to think about our Police Officers who lost their lives in the service of their country.
In particular we will think about one young man named John Edward MacLeod, who joined the South Australian Police in 1939, when he was 18 years old.  He came from a loving family in Adelaide and was known as Jack.
He trained at Port Adelaide and Thebarton Barracks and passed through various branches.  He earned an Honourable Mention for a prepared speech at an Eisteddfod.
But these were restless times with the country at war and other men going off to serve.  He applied for Indefinite Leave and left to join the RAAF in July 1941 when he was 20 years old.

Jack embraced the training in a new life at Point Cook.  With his Scottish name he was promptly named “Macca”.  While there he received a Royal Humane Society Medal for  attempting to   rescue a drowning man from the sea.  He progressed through the ranks from Air-craftsman to Flight Lieutenant.  After gaining his wings his life became even more     purposeful as he married a girl from Sydney.
John Edward MacLeodJack was posted to 76 Squadron flying Kittyhawks.  The enemy at that stage was getting close to Australia.  He served at Townsville and in July to New Guinea, an intense and difficult operation.  They carried out defensive patrols  strafing enemy given positions in the Battle for Milne Bay.  The Army Chief noted that the  efforts of the fighter squadrons were the decisive factor in the ultimate victory over the invading forces.
There was still much work for 76 Squadron over Northern Territory and Western Australia, but by April 1943 they were back operating over the Islands, ever    seeking to push back the advance of the enemy.

On the 5th of December 1944, Flight Lieutenant John MacLeod and three other pilots in their Kitty-hawks were ordered to attack an enemy position on the south coast of Dutch New Guinea at the far western end of the Island at a place called Kokas, a Naval Station.
On arrival they commenced strafing and bombing the target.  There was a big explosion in an ammunition dump and Macca’s aircraft was seriously buffeted.  He was a highly skilled and experienced pilot so he quickly gained control, but   flying debris holed a vital area of the plane.  He realised that he must come down in the sea and radioed his fellow pilots.  His mates saw the coolant leaking out in a white cloud of spray from his plane.  He flew on till his engine seized after overheating.  During that time Macca gained necessary height so that he could bale out safely.  He landed in the water and John Edward MacLeodwaved from his rubber dinghy to his mates flying cover over him.  They continued their watch until they must leave.  They sent a message for an American Catalina Flying boat to come and land and rescue him.  Tragically, there was an error in the code and the Catalina did not arrive.    Macca was reported missing.
He managed to get ashore where natives hid him for a while before he was betrayed to the Japanese Station.
He was now in peril, a lone prisoner in a hostile situation.

The Japanese attempted to get information from him and advised their Headquarters of his detention.  The reply was, “Send documents only.  Prisoner need not be sent.”  It was interpreted as a death warrant.
On the 19th of December 1944, after refusing to wear a blindfold, Macca was executed by sword and buried.  He was 23.  The execution was witnessed by a native.  The act was in contradiction of all the Rules of War.

After the end of the war every effort was made to recover the fallen.  Macca’s body was recovered and buried in a hallowed grave in the Australian War Cemetery on Ambon Island.  When found he was still wearing his RAAF pilot’s badge.
Every effort must now be made to bring those responsible for the atrocity before the War Crimes Tribunal.
In Japan a Lieutenant of the Japanese Navy was located and interviewed and made a sworn statement about the matter.
In 1950 the War Crimes Trials were held on Manus Island.  Three Japanese were charged with the murder.  A Lieutenant was acquitted, a Sub-Lieutenant was imprisoned for fifteen years and a Petty Officer paid the price with his own life.
Two years after learning of the death of her beloved son, his mother caused to have made a very beautiful Memorial Window.  It is of painted glass and is in St. Saviours Anglican Church on Portrush Road, for all to see.
“Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest We Forget, Lest We Forget.”


John Edward MacLeod

The last Police Anzac Memorial Service held at the Anzac Memorial Garden Police Academy on Sunday 17th April 2011.  Next year the ceremony will be held at the new Academy memorial gardens. Top left Rev. Terry Natt (Police Chaplain) Top right Bob Boscence , Bottom right acting President Kevin Beare and bottom left Rev. David Hand (Police Chaplain). About 70 people including Police      Historical Society members attended and service which was followed by light refreshments in the Academy mess where a selection of photographs of John Macleod were displayed.  The stained glass window featured on our front cover is inscribed with :-
To the Glory of God
And in the Loving Memory of my son.
Erected by his Mother—1948

Terry Natt                 Bob Boscence       David Hand

Fort Largs

When Policemen were also Gaolers.


Max Slee with the plaque in
Government House.

As a result of research undertaken by member Max Slee, he has discovered that in all probability Adelaide’s first Gaol was located near the north-eastern corner of Government House and Kintore Avenue.   This first Gaol and it’s inmates were looked after by Police officers from 1838 to 1841. 

On April 28th this year Police Foundation Day was celebrated at Government House by the unveiling of a plaque by His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, AC, CSC, RANR   Governor of South Australia and Mal Hyde, AO, APM Commissioner of  Police, to mark the site of this Gaol.

Members of the South Australian  Police Historical Society witnessed the unveiling and attended morning tea with His Excellency.

Max has written a booklet about the Gaol and his research findings.


His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce,
 AC, CSC, RANR Governor of South
Australia addressing those present.



Mal Hyde, AO, APM Commissioner of Police      addressing those present.

SAPHS members

Govternment House


South Australian Register , Saturday 30 May 1846, page 2, National Library of Australia.


We have several times had occasion to bear testimony to the good conduct and efficiency of our police. We cannot help calling attention to the fact that with them, in this endeavour is to prevent crime as much as possible, by checking it in the bud, instead of (as is too much done in many places) keeping an eye upon offenders till they can be convicted of some grand delinquency.  Justice requires that this should be observed, and the conduct of the police appreciated.   They serve the truest interests of the community, by the apprehension of an incipient thief, though to the unthinking mind it might appear a greater exploit to drag in a felon, charged with a succession of offences.   And they strike more terror into the hearts of our semi-convict intruders, by showing them that detection is certain and immediate than they could do by the occasional example of a sanguinary punishment.   We need but refer to three recent cases as instances of their alertness. 

A few weeks ago, a watch belonging to Mr Joseph Phillips was stolen from an inn on the Great Eastern Road. On the same night, a person, wholly unsuspected, was taken into custody in Adelaide, and the    property recovered.   The next morning he was brought before the Commissioner, and held to bail to answer the charge at the Sessions.   Last week, a burglary was committed at an inn in the town.   In less than twelve hours, a person (the same who had been before charged with stealing Mr Phillips's watch) was apprehended in a cottage, five or six miles distant, brought next day before the Commissioner, and yesterday, fully committed for trial.

And in our present paper we record the apprehension of two men for highway robbery with equal promptitude.   The offence was committed after dark on Tuesday—the person robbed was intoxicated, and unable to give any description of the offenders.   Yet almost by day light next morning two men were apprehended —within a few hours charged before the Commissioner —the stolen property produced, and several witnesses brought forward to whom they had endeavoured to part with it.   They were also sent for trial yesterday.

Nor are the Mounted Police less active in the performance of their duties. The captures of the natives at Strathalbyn and Mount Arden sufficiently show their courage and perseverance.   We wish only that a material increase in both branches of the force could be effected. They have zeal, talent, and character, but they sadly want numbers.   Country land, whether for pasturage or culture, would possess a higher value were it more uniformly and certainly protected, and the town would more deserve its name were the presence of the police to be depended on.

The chief officers of the force are, the Commissioner, Mr Finnis ; the Inspectors, Messrs Tolmer and Gordon; and the Sub-Inspector, Mr Litchfield.   Messrs Finnis, Gordon, and Litchfield have held commissions in the British Army, and Mr Tolmer, we believe, in that of France.   Messrs Finnis, Pointer, and Litchfield have the local rank of Captains, from their appointment in the militia brigade of South Australia.   The non-commissioned officers in the Mounted Police are six, and in the Foot Police, two; the men in the former, thirty seven ; and in the latter, twenty-one.   This force is clearly inadequate, perhaps, particularly in the cavalry department, but to look more nearly home and speak of the infantry, whose duties are not quite so diffused and varied, let any rational man ask himself—What can twenty-one men do in a town more than a mile square, built upon in every direction, and separated by tracks of country each of which may truly be denominated rus in urbe?  ( Latin: country in the city)
 We will answer the question.   Not more than ten can be on duty at one time; for wakeful as they have proved themselves we must allow them a little sleep.   Each is on duty for nine hours at a time, at least three hours more than his more experienced officers would assign to him were they not short handed, and often after the long tramp, from nine o'clock at night till six next morning, (in such weather as this too) has to attend for hours more at the police office to give evidence against some person whom he has apprehended.

Say then on an average that there are seven by day and nine during the night, (we feel sure the numbers will not allow more) how can this handful of men, true and ardent though they be protect a population as large as that of Adelaide! 

THE PASSING OF BARRY HIGGS  (Senior Constable No 491)

Information from David Higgs MBE son of Barry Higgs.

Barry Higgs passed away on Saturday the 2nd April and survived by his wife Hazel Higgs.  He had tremendous courage and integrity, as befits a police officer and went with a Barry Higgs‘bang’ and not a ‘whimper’. Despite the frailty of old age (he would have been 84 this year) he collapsed and died after giving chase to some youths he discovered ‘up to mischief’ in his garden.
My father was a serving officer in the SA Police from 1952-1971.  From the early 1960’s until 1971 he was leader of the Cliff Rescue Squad, part of the SA Police Emergency Operations Group.

My father was, and remained, for all his life an Australian through & through, despite the fact that we moved as a family to the UK in late 1971.  He embodied all those qualities I think of as archetypically Australian, both good and bad.  It’s fair to say that in a very unassuming & humble way he was ‘quite a character’.  Unfortunately, in his latter years he was unable to return to Australia, as he had wished, due to deteriorating health.

At the time of his death I was in the process of compiling and editing a digital archive of a considerable collection of original B&W 16mm newsreel footage from SA TV of the various rescues & searches undertaken by his team, that my father had painstakingly preserved.  His wish was that the digitised version should be available to the SA Police archives in due course.  I am hoping to complete the editing sometime soon.  It is a fascinating historical document and graphically illustrates the extraordinary work undertaken by the team in hazardous and arduous circumstances with consummate professionalism, teamwork and good humour.  The filming is dedicated to all the members of the Cliff Rescue Squad, and search and recovery teams.

In the SA Police Gazette 22nd July 1969 Barry received a Special Mention for “Outstanding leadership and devotion to duty as leader of the Cliff Rescue Squad.  Over a number of years, this member has displayed outstanding ability in organising and directing the operations of the Squad which has reflected great credit on the Police Force”  The mention arose  after a particularly appalling and difficult recovery of a body from a flooded mine shaft in Oodla Wirra.

David is putting a book of remembrance  together for Barry from all the people who knew or worked with him. Any memories, or funny stories warts and all will be welcome and he would be delighted to receive any written or verbal contributions.

David Higgs MBE
64 St. Wilfrid’s Road
West Hallam
Telephone 00 44 115 932 7644

Photo 14669—Group of 16 BSA Motorcycles in Victoria Square. Nearest to camera Barry Higgs, ?,Rowdy Godleman,?, Clem Fuller, Harry Goodfellow, Bill Bailey, Ellis, Faulkner, Bartlett, Hyson, Frank Jameson, Wally Horsnell, Frank Barry, Dusty Hill, John Dwyer, Sgt Alan Brooks. (Can any old traffic members fill in the blanks?)


1st JulyBarry Blundell

Our own Executive Committee member, Barry Blundell, Detective Senior Sergeant First Class, who is the Manager of SAPOL’s Electronic Crime Section.  Barry’s subject will focus on the seriousness and magnitude of electronic crime and how police and society are dealing with its very considerable challenges.    


5th August



Chief Superintendent Fred Trueman has been a member and supporter of our Society for a number of years.  He relinquished the position of Chairman of Police Health a short time ago after many years in that important role.  Police Health has recently celebrated its 75th Anniversary and the organisation and its achievements will be the subject of Fred’s address.


Meetings will be on the first Friday of the month -  All meetings commence at 7.30 p.m.



Bar divider

Thomas Shuldham O’Halloran, CMG
Major Thomas Shuldham O'Halloran, was a military man through and through, he was also South Australia’s first Police Commissioner, Farmer, Horse Breeder, businessman and Member of the Legislative Council.
By Charlie Tredrea,             (Continued from Autumn edition.)

He was the second and eldest surviving son of Major-General Sir Joseph O'Halloran, G.C.B., Bengal Army.   He was born at Berhatnpore, in the East Indies, (in West Bengal, India) on 25th October, 1797.  He was a cadet at the Royal Military College, Marlow, in 1808 and appointed Ensign in the Royal West Middlesex Militia, 1809.  In 1812, the College and students were moved from Marlow to Sandhurst.   In 1813, he was gazetted an Ensign in the 17th Foot, and joined his regiment in 1814, and served with it during the whole of the Nepal War during the years 1814, '15, and '16.   In 1817 he received his Lieutenancy on 28th June, and served during the Deccan War (India) in 1817 and 1818.   Thomas was married on 1st August, 1821, to Miss Ann Goss, of Dawlish, but she sadly died in 1823, in Calcutta, leaving two children, of whom one died in India.

In 1822 our Thomas exchanged from the 17th to the 44th Regiment, which he joined in Calcutta in January, 1823.   In 1824 he was ordered with the left wing of the 44th  Regiment to Chittagong, where he arrived early in June, and was appointed Paymaster, Quartermaster, and Interpreter, so therefore must have spoke the   language well and was kept very busy.  On the 30th  October was appointed Brigade-Major to Brigadier-General Duncan, C.B., who commanded the Sylket division of the army during the Burmese war, and served on his staff until the General’s death in November, 1825.
He received a medal for war service in India for Nepal and Ava.   On 27th April, 1827, O’Halloran purchased his company in the 99th Regiment, then exchanged into the 56th Regiment in 1828.   In 1829 exchanged into the 6th Regiment, and joined his father as Aide-de-Camp, at Sangur, in Central India.   From June, 1830, to January, 1831, he served as Deputy Assistant Quartermaster-General at Sangor, and then in 1834 Thomas was married to Miss Jane Waring, of Newry. 

Thomas retired on half-pay in October, but later in 1837 was placed on full-pay as Captain in the 97th Regiment.   In that year he was sent in command of two companies of his regiment and a troop of the 4th Dragoon Guards to quell the riots in Yorkshire.

In 1838 he retired from the army by the sale of his commission and sailed for South Australia the same year in the Rajahsthan, (was built in 1837 in Bombay using Teak, and was sheathed in yellow metal in 1839.  The owners: Flemming, Port of registry: Glasgow. ) and landed at Glenelg on 21st November, 1839, settled with his family where O'Halloran Hill is today.   On 2nd February Thomas was nominated a Justice of the Peace, and in 1840, was gazetted Major-Commandant of the South Australian Militia on 26th February, and on 8th June as Commissioner of Police.

A very tragic event to take place that year in 1840, was when the ship Maria was wrecked at Lacepede Bay (Kingston S.E.) and the crew were murdered by the aboriginals, Major O'Halloran went down to investigate the matter. He was joined on the road by Mr. C. Bonney and another gentleman, who accompanied him unofficially.   The result of the investigation was, that the Major hanged two or three of the natives.   This proceeding was very severely condemned by a, number of colonists, who made very strong representations upon the subject to both the local and home Governments.   The result, however, showed that whatever opinions might be entertained respecting the abstract propriety of the summary measures adopted by the gallant Major, they were in reality lawful as he was in possession of instructions and a warrant from the  Governor authorising that very action. No organised attack was ever afterwards made upon Europeans by the natives in that part of the colony.   From Adelaide up the Coorong to beyond the Salt Creek, the aborigines were impressed with a sense of the irresistible power of the white man, and the certainty that acts of violence against him would meet with exemplary punishment.

On the 17th August of the same year he was sent in command of an expedition against the Milmanura (or Big Murray) Aborigines.   On the 21st April, 1841, he commanded an expedition against the River Murray and Rufus Aborigines.   On the 31st May, he was again sent against the same tribes.   On the 7th November he was in command of an expedition to Port Lincoln against the Battara Aborigines.   On 12th April, 1843, he resigned his appointment as Commissioner of Police.   While at the head of the police force he   maintained it in a very high state of efficiency; and, though a rigid disciplinarian was very much liked and highly respected by his subordinate officers and men.
On his retirement he was presented with a silver snuffbox by the mounted force and with an address from the officers and men of the foot police.   On the 15th June, of the same year, he was nominated senior non-official member of the old nominee Council and continued in that position for eight years, till we    obtained our first instalment of representative government.   As a nominee Councillor, Major   O'Halloran deserved well of the people, being continually in opposition to some of the controversial measures of the Government of the day, the most notable instance being the question of the royalties upon minerals, that the Government was endeavouring to impose.   The Constitution of that day was beautifully simple. 

On many questions the Legislative Chamber was certain to be equally divided, the Governor and his three officials voting on one side, and the four non-officials on the other, and then Her Majesty's representative gave his casting vote, and the matter was settled. After this fashion the royalties were about to become law, a division being called for ; but it required five members to make a quorum, and Major O'Halloran, Sir John Morphett, and the two other non-official nominees walking out, left the Government baffled and        defeated.  Another great question in which the Major took a prominent part was that of State aid to religion, his vote and advocacy being used on the unpopular side. This cost him his election in 1851, when the mixed Constitution was proclaimed.  He stood for his own district, Noarlunga, but, though personally held in the highest esteem by the electors, he was, after an earnest struggle, defeated by Mr. William Peacock, a stranger to the district, by a majority of 42 votes.

 On the 17th July he was entertained at a public dinner by his supporters at Morphett Vale, and on the 29th at Willunga.   In 1855 he opposed Mr. Reynolds for the Sturt, but was again unsuccessful.   During the same year he was offered a nominee-ship in the   Council by Sir Richard MacDonnell, but declined.  
About the close of the previous year he was gazetted a Lieutenant-Colonel of the Volunteer Military Force.   When the next Constitution was granted, it was a general feeling that Major O'Halloran was a most proper candidate for the Legislative Council, and at the first election, in March 1857, he was returned at the head of the poll against 27 candidates, the votes recorded for him amounting to 3,499.  

In 1862 he resigned his commission as Justice of the Peace as a direct result of his strong disapproval of some of the magisterial appointments made by the Government.  In 1863 he resigned his seat in the Legislative Council, having occupied it for six years.   Since then he lived in retirement, rarely taking part in public matters.  Major O'Halloran was the principal founder and supporter of Christchurch, O'Halloran Hill; also one of the original Governors of St. Peter's Collegiate School.
He was succeeded by his first marriage a daughter (Ann) married to Captain Disney Roebuck, late of the 23rd Fusiliers.  By his second marriage he leaves three sons, Mr. Thomas O'Halloran, Manager of the National Bank, at Strathalbyn, Mr. Henry O'Halloran, also in the Bank and Mr. George O'Halloran of the Land Office, who is at the present time suffering from ill-health and a daughter married to Mr. F. Wright, late General Manager of the National Bank.

The deceased Major was in his 73rd year. The news of his death was received with regret by many colonists, especially among the early settlers, who respected him as an upright and high-minded gentleman of the old school.

The South Australian Advertiser


Wednesday 17 August 1870.




O'HALLORAN.—On the 16th August, at  Lizard Lodge, Major Thomas Shuldham O'Halloran, in his 73rd year.


Next Issue :-  O’Halloran’s Obituary.

Bar divider

What Did Happen at Winnininnie?

One of the fascinations of historical research is to follow up what seems to be something of a legend, to piece together the sometimes obscure facts and eventually produce one of the remarkable true stories in which our Australian history abounds. One of the most frustrating exercises in the same field is to have all avenues end in a brick wall.   Such has been my unfortunate experience since I heard the strange and terrible story of events at the Police Station at Winnininnie.
Winnininnie Sheep Station out from Yunta has seen some exciting times over the years.   It is believed that the old woolshed on the property has survived from the early 1850’s; the original homestead is also still standing.

Just when it was decided to post a police officer on Winnininnie has not been discovered. It was not a usual practice, however; police lived on Dungaree station near Clare about 1849, mainly as a protective measure against the depredations of local aboriginals and it is more than likely that a similar measure was adopted on Winnininnie. Certainly a police constable was there in 1878, along with five police horses, necessary, of course, with the great distances to be covered. Police Headquarters for that Far Northern division were then at Melrose where a Sergeant Major and two Mounted Constables (along with their nine mounts) were posted.

Winnininnie came into pre-eminence during the days of the Waukaringa gold fields of 1871 and Teetulpa in 1886. At the time Winnininnie was an overnight coaching stop, even though it meant that bullocks had to pull the coaches over the creek.
The gold rush at Teetulpa was the first South Australia had experienced and it meant a great deal to the State which was facing yet another financial crisis.  In 1886 two prospectors found gold in the area.
Winnininnie Station.

Several small nuggets were gouged out of slate crevices with a pocket knife. The two men won a reward of £1,000 covered by the State Government for their discovery; within a short time there were eight to ten thousand men on the field.   For a while Teetulpa became a veritable hive of industry with seven or eight hotels, seven boarding houses, and a police station of its own as well as telegraph communications with Adelaide.   The rush did not last long; it petered out within a year and the whole township consisting of galvanised and canvas dwellings and buildings vanished within a few short weeks.    One of the great difficulties which the prospectors had to face was the inadequate supply of water for washing the gold.  Needless to say as happened frequently on those early goldfields, typhoid took its toll.   In the short time that the field flourished, however it is believed that over £300,000 worth of gold was won from the field.

Twenty-seven nuggets of fine gold weighing 240 oz., were displayed at the Jubilee Exhibition in 1887 in Adelaide.   There's little in the area today to give much indication of the bustle of the goldfields in its heyday, even though Winnininnie had its own brewery as part of the job of quenching the thirsts of so many dusty throats.
But to get back to the tragic events at the Police Station. The story as told to me was that an entire police family, along with a prisoner, perished mysteriously and were discovered by a visiting police officer from headquarters possibly Melrose. The adults had died of poisoning, (one report has it from eating tinned fish); an infant from starvation. The bodies were buried on a near-by barren slated hillside.

The story was enough to entice me north to Winnininnie in an endeavour to unravel the old mystery.  I found the old graves; two of them are marked by slate slabs, which have been neatly engraved with the names W. Skehan and J. O 'Leary, just those two names and nothing more, noticeably missing are dates of death.  Nearby is a third mound with heaped up slate and with a large bush flourishing from it.   I was told that at one time seven graves could be seen quite clearly, one of these being that of a prisoner who had hanged himself in the police cell.

I was shown the former Police Station, used today as quarters for shearers (sturdy and solid), the building contains an inside cell1, clearly indicated by a barrel window.   There was also the old blacksmith shop and what is believed to have been the po1ice stables.       Without doubt there was indeed a police post at Winnininnie in earlier times to look  into aboriginal activities, then later to escort gold from the mines whence it came by coach.  But who and when and how the police family died are among the many still unanswered questions. One wonders at the story of food poisoning;  so was it that or a shake of the arsenic tin, on purpose, or by accident?   Questions, questions and so few answers,   If only stones had tongues to te1l the real story or graves to reveal it.  One wonders what happened to the old Station Journals which would surely have reported the tragic event.
Perhaps, even yet, truth will once again prove to be stranger than fiction and the story will be revealed as yet one more facet of our early police history which surely deserves to be recorded.  Meanwhile the search continues!

References - S.A. Government Gazette, April 11, 1878.
Appreciation is extended to Mr. and Mrs. A. Batty for
their courtesy on my visit to Winnininnie, and to
Mr. K. R. Wade. a former manager,
of Victor Harbor for his cooperation.


Still regular raids. Went down to Geoff again and spent a couple of pleasant hours on the roof of BHQ and at bridge afterwards. We had some fun with Wally Horsnell the other day.  He is a very powerfully built, very strong and energetic sergeant always ready, on any enterprise that calls for strength or other physical ability.

Wally had supported a  theory that a man could squeeze his body through any aperture through which he could pass his head.  One glance at Wally's shoulders would make anyone doubt the truth of that statement - and there were plenty who said so.

The window to the room was fitted with a small hinge and aperture through which one could pass a hand to fasten or release shutters on the outside.  Jimmy Gosse looked at the small square frame and said, “Well, you might get your head through that, Wally, but you would never be able to follow through.”  And Wally fell for it!
He climbed on to a chair as the hole was about 5ft. (1.5m) from the ground, and with an enormous amount of grunting and straining on his part and much advice on our part, he did succeed in getting his head and shoulders and both arms through the space.

. . And there he stuck, for he could not get past his waist and neither could he get back.  There he was, suspended in the window by his middle like a figure of the ''Golden Fleece'' on a watch chain. He had taken off his shirt and singlet before starting, and his well-filled shorts didn't help him at all in his efforts.  At least, that is what he was soon told.  Wally, with his arms one side of the window and his stern the other, couldn’t do anything to help himself.  The speed with which he was helped to uncover should have proved to him how everyone was anxious to help. But no, he even took exception.
FROM ...

Will We Be     Disappointed —

MONDAY 14 July, 1941.

And when his two broad hemispheres were displayed and remarked upon, he went so far as to abuse and THREATEN. Which was a mistake.
He was told he was naughty and would have to be punished and all his struggles and abuse availed him not at all.  It's just a shame what they did to him.  His big full backside suspended at eye-level was tempting - anyone would agree - then someone suggested that the appearance of the whole thing could be improved with a touch of paint.  The red and blue for our vehicles' identification plates was on hand . . ''And shouldn't be wasted'' said they.

Wally struggled, swore, kicked, and struggled some more . . .and threatened too.  Yes, threatened - and how! It's a pity from his point of view that his vocal end was one side of the window and we and his (what one might call) ''patient end'', the other. The paint was given a long slow stirring ''to put body into it'' and everything was said and done to satisfy Wally that it was not to be a hit or miss, or slap-dash, affair. ''No Sir: we’ll make a good job of it . . . not everyone has the Regimental colours on his backside.
No, it shows ''Esprit-de-corps . . .'', said they.
“Wally had supported a theory that a man could squeeze his body through any aperture through which he could pass his head. “

The Sergeant had a lot to say, and he said it in a most nasty manner, but the fellows thought he meant well. How the frame of that window stood up to the strain of his struggles when once the painting began, I do not know! We got him out eventually - we had to - and funny thing his feelings were not a bit relieved, or at least very little, when he found out that a lather brush and water had been substituted for the paint . . .

But he is a very good-tempered fellow, he soon calmed down - and started to put iodine on the places where skin had once been.
Lots of discussion then as to whether he had won the bet, some held that having lost so much skin, only part of him had passed through the window . . .

Thank you to Pat Roberts for permission to use this story.


Early in 1963, after I had completed my police training course and I was stationed at Blackwood, now and then I would go out with the patrol cars from the city patrol base as an observer.
I would usually go out on afternoon or night shift.
Sometimes I would go with an experienced crew and sometimes with a sergeant.

On one particular night arrangements had been made for me to go out as an observer on afternoon shift, and I had been allocated to Sergeant Harry Cain, a third grade sergeant who had just become a sergeant and who later became officer in charge of the accident investigation squad when I was there.
Sometime during the early afternoon a male person had been arrested for various offences and was being charged at the city watch house, I had observed him being brought in.
As I was patrolling with Sergeant Cain, a message was transmitted over the police radio, that a person had escaped police custody and to keep a lookout for him.
Very shortly after the message was transmitted, I saw the male person walking north along the western  footpath of King William Rd near Elder Park.
I recognised him as the prisoner I had seen at the Watch house and told Sergeant Cain that was the escaped prisoner, he turned the patrol car around and drove into the park, the escapee started to run and we were unable to follow him in the car, I got out of the car and chased him on foot, he was a very fast runner and he went into the railway yards which ran alongside the park and the river, I followed him in, Sergeant Cain had given me his baton when I got out of the car, I knew that we would lose him once he got into the railway carriages, so I threw the baton at him, it struck him behind one of his knees and he fell to the ground, I caught up to him and held him until Sergeant Cain arrived and then another patrol car, he was then taken back to the city watch house and charged again.

Sergeant Cain thought I  was fantastic after that incident, and always had a good word to say about me right through the time he was in the force, he became my boss in the Accident Investigation Squad in the early 1970s.

EJ Holdens

Above:  1962 EJ Holden Sedan, similar to that used by SAPOL; Circa 1963


Barry & Di

Left—Barry Blundell and Di Lugg working on the large number of boxes, checking contents.  This is a massive undertaking.    A dent has been made in the 600 or so boxes but a long, long way to go.  Any  extra   volunteers would be appreciated.

Lower left– Our hard working members of the transport museum cleaning out two truckloads of old shelving from the hoist shed, Dave Rostan, Ernie McLeod, Dennis Irrgang and Kevin Johnson

—Kate Woodcock setting up some of our trophies which she also cleaned in a cabinet from the library.  It is now located upstairs above the meeting room.



—A rather concerned Treasurer, Tony Woodcock after    organising and moving bookshelves into the library/conference room which now looks much neater after a makeover involving Kevin Johnson, Max Griffiths, Tony Woodcock and anyone else Tony could encourage to be involved.  Tony also cleaned the leather on the conference table and desk which probably had not been cleaned in many years.
The room is much improved, and will look even better when new curtains are installed to replace the old ones, which when washed, fell apart.

PHS members catering for Commissioner Mal Hyde’s thank you to sponsors of “Ride Like Crazy” held on Thursday the 24th March 2011.

Preparing to serve the plates of cakes, sandwiches and scones made by the volunteers from left to right:-      

Wendy Beare, Dawn Cleaver, Helen Ward, Di Lugg, Bethany Boettcher, Audrey Wallace, Kate Woodcock and Isabel Brooks.  There was an amazing array of food only a small amount is displayed on these tables. 


Visitor from Canberra -
Life Member Bill Rojas with fellow life member
Dorothy Pyatt at the Society’s monthly meeting
on Friday 4th March 2011


On March 6th 2011 SA Police Historical Society Members Ernie McLeod, Ben Jensen, Diana Lugg; Isabel Brooks and Dennis Irgang attended the Mount Barker “Power of the Past” event.
The event was held on the Mount Barker Oval and the Chrysler Royal, FJ Holden, VN Commodore and trailer with two motor cycles were taken along and displayed.

                                         FJ Police car


Chrysler Royal Police Car

On Sunday the 10th April our vehicle volunteers Kevin Johnson, Ernie McLeod and Dianna Lugg attended the
McLaren Vale Classic Cars event.  (above).

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

e-mail :
If you have any articles you believe would be of interest please forward them to the 
Editors, preferably in digital format using the above address.
Editors:- Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea.

Web site




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2011  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea