Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all.

December has proven to be another busy month for all volunteers with preparations for the Christmas Party on 5/12/03 which proved to be very successful thanks to the hard work from all concerned.  See story in this issue.

As usual it has been a busy time for the vehicles with Glenelg pageant, using the solo BSA, Suzuki outfit, and Bedford Van.  The Chrysler Royal was busy on the same day at the 150th celebrations of Scotch College and again at the Norwood Pageant with BSA, outfit and Bedford. (See story in this issue) We were also involved in the Annual Toy Run and were invited to take part in the Historical Motor Vehicle Club at McLaren Flat where the Chrysler Royal was again used.  Our sincere thanks to all the volunteers who gave of their time and energies to make these events such a great success.
A start has been made on a temporary museum prior to the much longer project of designing a museum using outside assistance.  This project is expected to take many months so in the interim a display is being set up in the ground floor of the museum complex.  Work still needs to be done in the recently acquired gallery upstairs known as the Dorothy Pyatt gallery.  Please be patient and I’m sure it will be worth it in the long run.

There will be no monthly meeting in January so the next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting on Friday 6th February, 2004. There will be the election of officers and the presentation of the proposed new constitution for approval.  Those who are interested in nominating for the Executive should complete the nomination form and forward to the Secretary as soon as possible and prior to the AGM.  Nomination forms are available at Society Headquarters Thebarton Barracks.  See the notice this issue.

I hope that the festive season will be a happy and safe time for you all.


On Friday the 5th December 63 members and friends attended  a wonderful Christmas Party at the meeting room Thebarton Barracks.
This was a glittering event, opened & closed by President John White. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all has been hailed as the best ever, and a new standard has been set for future events.

The Thursday group was involved in setting up the room, with tables and chairs, and Elees Pick added her own unique table decorations which included hand made napkin rings.

Many of the ladies provided a wealth of salads which were served on a separate table with chicken pieces.  The quality of the food was outstanding.  Even Father Christmas thought it was an excellent event..

Peter Malpas provided considerable entertainment with his collection of Mouth Organs.  He played carols as people arrived, and entertained us later in the evening with interesting facts about harmonicas, and a variety of music.

Alan Hyson produced some very amusing monologues and Graham Duerden, one of our very new members, entertained us with two of John Williamson’s songs.

Alf Jarvis and Audrey Walker surprised us with poetic tales from the sea.

Many of the ladies took advantage of the visit by Father Christmas and listed their requirements for Christmas.  The old gentleman took all the information & I am sure that none will be disappointed on Christmas Day, especially Kate Woodcock (wants BMW).

Geoff Rawson
Vice President




Graham & Marian DUERDEN 

Brenton & Linda SULLIVAN 

we welcome you



Parade of Foot Police with rifles and Mounted Police at North Terrace Police B arracks for presentation of Kings Police medal to Constable Hedley John Rowney (K.P.M.) on 6/5/1915.

One Bullet, Two Lives.

Thirty-six year old Henry Long and his wife, Agnes, two years his senior, would have to be listed as being one of the unluckiest couples known in history. Not only did they happen to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time. But both were killed completely unintentionally, each dying within seconds of the other when struck by the same bullet fired from a distance of one mile (1.6 kilometres).
The well respected couple lived a quiet life with their son and daughter, aged ten and twelve respectively, on their modest property at Seelands, just outside the township of Grafton in N.S.W.
Each Tuesday, with the weather permitting, Henry would get out the sulky, harness up the horse, and the couple would head off into Grafton to stock up on provision and to pass the time of day with many of their friends and acquaintances.
Henry was a stickler for routine and always followed the same course into the township, following the south bank of the Clarence River. With their routine chores in the town completed Henry and Agnes completed their round trip by returning via the Whiteman punt and travelling along the north bank as they made the return leg of the journey.
On Tuesday October 14, 1919, for reasons known only to themselves the Longs changed their routine completely and travelled into town via the north bank, and at around 1.30 p.m. were heading homeward along the south bank of the river, heading in the general direction of Seelands.
 Suddenly, Mrs. Long was seen by witnesses to topple from the seat of the sulky next to her husband. She landed heavily on the roadway and before anyone could move to offer assistance Henry also fell from the vehicle. The horse spontaneously reared up in fright, and took off in panic.
Henry and Agnes were both dead within a few minutes of striking the ground, and were pronounced by Dr. Page, who was quickly on the scene.
A post mortem examination, carried out by the Government Medical Officer, Dr. Henry, revealed that Henry had been struck in the neck by a bullet. The projectile entered his neck about two inches below his right ear, and after severing his spinal cord exited the left side of his neck approximately one inch lower. Agnes, who had been sitting on Henry’s left, was then struck in the right breast by the same bullet, which then passed through her heart, and remained lodged in her body.
The projectile, though somewhat mangled, was identified as being of .303 calibre, similar to that used in Lee Enfield service rifles.
On commencing investigations, Sergeant Swan of the Grafton Police, learned that numerous rifle shots had been heard that afternoon, in the vicinity the North Coast Company’s coal wharf, which was situated about one mile across the river from where Mr. And Mrs. Long had been shot. Further enquiries revealed that Captain Sidney Hampford Drew, master of the S.S. Tintenbar which was berthed at the coal wharf had in fact been firing shots from the deck of his vessel towards some pelicans near the point of Susan Island.
The police investigators soon determined that it was one of these shots, ricocheting from the surface of the water that had very freakishly struck and killed Henry and Agnes Long as they were innocently passing by at a distance of one mile.
Captain Drew was thereby arrested, and though the killings were deemed to have unintentional, he was committed to stand trial.
At his trial in Sydney, Drew admitted having fired several shots from the deck of his ship on that fateful afternoon and accepted that it must have been one of those shots that inadvertently struck and killed Mr. And Mrs. Long.
Mr. Justice Scholes, presiding over the case, said he felt fully justified, under the circumstances, in withdrawing the case from the jury. He said that the accused was obviously deeply distressed by the accident, and had as a consequence been punished sufficiently. Sidney Drew was thereupon discharged.
The case however must rate as one of the most freakish, dual deaths recorded throughout the world.

Allan L. Peters


The Secret of success
 is to know something
 nobody else knows

Aristotle Onassis


A U.S. newspaper recently reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Restaurant at 7:50am, flashed a gun and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The bandit, frustrated, walked away.


A thirty-three year old man was arrested recently in Providence, R.I, after allegedly knocking out an armoured car driver and stealing the closest four money bags. It turned out they contained $800 in coins, which, weighing 30 pounds each slowed him to a stagger during his getaway so that police officers easily caught up and arrested him.

Mystery Photo – December
Who is this young man – Circa 1947

South Australian Register. May 1, 1879


Wednesday evening last whilst Police constable Cock was going his rounds at Moonta Bay, before retiring he went out on the jetty, and seeing someone at the end, went cautiously up, and was just in time to lay hold of a man who was in the act of plunging off with the idea of drowning himself. He at once took charge of the man, who he recognised as James Warmington, who previous to the first strike was manager of the Moonta Mines.
As he appeared to be suffering from drink, and confessed that he was about to drown himself, the constable took care of him for the night, and the next day took him to Wallaroo, from whence he was sent to the Lunatic Asylum, as he was evidently not in his right mind.
A. Peters

English as She is spoke

When the English tongue we speak
Why is break not rhymed with freak?
Will you tell me why it’s true
And why the maker of a verse
Cannot rhyme his horse with worse?
Beard sounds not the same as heard
Cord is different from word

Cow is cow, but low is low
Shoe is never rhymed with foe,
Think of hose or nose, then dose & lose
We say sew, but likewise few.
And think of goose & yet of choose.

Think of comb & tomb & bomb
Doll & roll & home & some
And since pay is rhymed with say
Why not paid with said, I pray?

Think of Blood & food & good
Mould is not pronounced with could
Therefore done & gone & lone
Is there any reason known?


Magistrate's Court MOONTA: Tuesday, February 5. [Before Mr F.J. Gillen, S.M.]

CHRISTINA RENFREY, aged nine years, was charged with stealing ten tram tickets, valued at 1s 8d.
Oscar Blum, watchmaker, gave evidence as to the tickets having been placed in a watch case in his bedroom and to having missed them on Monday evening; witness also missed a gold ring out of a watch case.
Marie Lutze, sworn, said previous witness occupied a room at her house. That she left the house between two & three p.m. on the day in question.
The doors were locked & the dining room window closed, but not latched. Returned about 6 p.m. and found the dining room window open and the blinds up. Noticed several things in the house displaced.
Went into Mr Blum's room & found a watch case open & watch partly out.  Then went to her own room & found several ornaments disarranged, but did not miss anything then.  Later in the evening Mr. Cock produced a locket & asked if it was hers.  Told him it was.
M.C. Jones brought prisoner to Mr Blum's room at 12 o'clock (midnight) on the 4th to search for the ring, which she said had dropped on to the floor. Found the ring under the chest of drawers.

Samuel Jones, mounted constable, stationed at Moonta, said - At 9.15 on the evening of the 4th inst., Mr Blum reported that his bedroom at Miss Lutze's had been broken into, & that ten tram tickets & a gold ring were missing. Arrested prisoner on suspicion at Mr Dunn's house on the Bay road, & found in her possession six tram tickets answering to the description.

Prisoner admitted having taken the tickets from Mr Blum's room, & said a boy had taken four from her when she was coming from school.  Noticed in prisoner's hand a gold locket, which she said she found.  Took her to Miss Lutze, who identified the locket as her property.  Assisted in searching for the missing ring & was present when it was found by Miss Lutze in Mr Blum's room. Prisoner was then present.  Cautioned her, but prisoner made no statement.
   At this stage the case was adjourned until 4 o'clock.
   On the Court resuming Janet Dunn, wife of W.B. Dunn, of Moonta, stated that the prisoner had lived with her four years.  She was no relation to her.  Her (witness) daughter placed prisoner in her charge.  Had never received anything for her maintenance.
   Committed to Reformatory School, Redruth, until 18 years of age.


York's Peninsula Advertiser.

Tuesday, January 18, 1876

The result of the inquiry into the circumstances connected with the death of Mrs. Smith of Kadina has been a verdict to the effect that deceased died from natural causes. Although the family have resided at Kadina but a few weeks, three of the children have died, and the subsequent illness and death of the mother induced a suspicion that the deaths were attributable to other than natural causes. Dr. Fisher visited the woman on January 1 and found her suffering from excessive haemorrhage of the bowels. On the following day, suspecting she had been injured, he questioned her, and she stated that she had had a row with her husband and that he had struck her in the face. Hearing a number of reports about the occurrence he refused to give a certificate of the cause of death, and hence the inquest. Mr. W. Ey who gave evidence at the inquest said that the water in the tank used by the family was very impure. He also stated that the walls of the rooms which the deceased whitewashed had been painted a bright green, which he took to be Scheel's green, and which contained about 50 per cent of arsenic. He came to the conclusion that the deaths in the family arose from either of two causes – the dust and emanations from the green paint, or the unhealthy state of the water. It would probably be more correct to infer that both these causes combined tended to produce the fatal effects. Bad water, unfortunately is nothing uncommon on the Peninsula, and that more sick-ness does not arise from this source is perhaps owing to residents having become habituated to the use of it, but to newcomers it seldom fails at first to act injuriously, and the water used by the Smith family appears to have been exceptionally impure. The deleterious character of green paint, or of that kind known as Scheele's green, is notorious, and its use in dwellings ought to be strictly prohibited. In reference to this point a recent number of the British Medical Journal states that at a meeting of the Medical Society in Bonn, Professor Zuntz brought forward a case in which a gentleman had for some days been subject to headache late in the evening, which, without interfering with sleep, continued in the morning, and was accompanied with loss of appetite. In about a fortnight the symptoms became more severe, and lasted the whole day. At the same time similar symptoms, but much less severe, appeared in two students who sat at the same table in the evening. The green shade of the petroleum lamp was suspected to be the cause of the mischief; and, on chemical examination, it was found to contain arsenic Its use being discontinued, all the symptoms ceased in the three individuals. It was evident that the heat of the lamp had set free the arsenic, and the greater severity of the symptoms in the first-mentioned individual was due to the fact that he was nearsighted, and therefore sat nearer the lamp than the others did. Professor Zuntz said that he himself was some years affected in a similar way, though less severely, while using a green lamp-shade, in which arsenic was found.

A jury found that Mrs. Smith had died from natural causes. Three of her children had previously died within a few weeks. The death of mother and children are generally attributed to drinking bad water.



On Saturday the 29th November 2003, a convoy of Police Historical Society vehicles left the Barracks on the way to the Norwood Pageant.

It was an historical occasion being the first time that the BSA solo motorcycle, the Suzuki outfit, Chrysler Royal and Bedford Prison Van had been used at the same time.

Heads were turning all the way along North Terrace with surprised motorists suggesting that it was time the Police updated their vehicles!  The large crowd on attending the pageant responded well to the fleet which was part of a large pageant parade of very interesting floats.

We hope to add to this fleet soon with the new BSA with dusting sidecar early next year.

Thanks to Ernie McLeod, Mark Dollman & passenger Martin , Rex Greig and Dave Aylett for driving the various vehicles.

Geoff Rawson.


Frank Harold Whitrod

Passed away 4th October, 2003
Valued member of the S.A. Police Historical Society 
Our sincere condolences to his family

May he rest in peace 










The “HUE & CRY” is
Published by the South Australian
Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/— Box 1539 S.A. 5083
G.P.O. Adelaide 5001


  Web site:




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend
© 2003  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea