John Martins Pageant 1983
Lead Horse Guido Chief Inspector Tennant A.J.
1st left
Senior Constable George Waye - Remount
First Class Constable Matters I.A.N. - Pilgrim
M/Constable Brewer N - Monarch                           
M/Constable Colby P.M. - Lochinvar
Rear left
M/Constable Bailey J
M/Constable Kent R
M/ Constable Marshall G
M/Constable Patterson. J.

On Saturday the 27th and Sunday the 28th November our volunteers attended at the Norwood and Glenelg pageant’s respectively showing the flag with our vehicles.  Our thanks to Rex Greig, Kev Beare, Frank and Fran O’Connor, Dennis Irgang and Peter Moller.  I was at the Glenelg pageant and drove the Chrysler and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

On Friday the 3rd December 2004, in excess of 70 members and friends attended a glittering Christmas Party in the meeting room at Barracks.   Our many thanks go to all the volunteers who assisted in making the night a great success. There is a 2 page spread of photographs devoted to this event.  There was entertainment provided by the Malpas brothers with Graham Durden singing, two London bobbies in the form of Alan Hyson and myself and Father Christmas.  The door prize, a magnificent basket of goodies was won by an elated Esther Flynn. The raffle which raised about $130.00 provided the best collection of prizes we have ever seen

The only downside of the evening was Dorothy Pyatt having a nasty fall, which necessitated a trip to hospital and surgery the following day.  However I am happy to say that she has made a splendid recovery and when I visited her on Sunday (6th) she was in excellent spirits, and wished to express her thanks to those who came to her assistance and provided her with support and comfort.  I would like to express my thanks for the support given on the night by Kate Woodcock who went to the hospital with Dorothy until she was admitted, and Tony for his continual involvement.

You will notice that this issue of the Hue and Cry is in colour and on quality paper.  This is a one-off unfortunately as it is very expensive to produce in this way.  It will be back to black and white from January.

On behalf of the Society, may I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.


Geoff Rawson                    


On  Sunday the 17th October Bob Job, Alan Peters, Denis Irrgang & Holger Kruse represented the Historical Society at this very memorable occasion organised  by the Port Adelaide/Enfield & Districts Historical Society.

This was a very successful event with some 3,000 people attending in brilliant sunshine. S.A.P.H.S. vehicles exhibited were Chrysler Royal, Bedford Van & Suzuki motor cycle outfit.

Continuous entertainment from 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. was provided together with numerous stalls.

Sales of books & memorabilia totalled some $250.00
Our sincere thanks go these volunteers for a job well done.



By Graham Duerden

In September, 2004 whilst holidaying in the U.K. I came across an unusual six sided pyramid style stone lock-up, built in 1834.  It was in the village of Wheatley in Oxfordshire.  Around that period there was a quarry behind it known as the Parish Pit.  Bull baiting took place there until it was stopped in 1824 after intervention by a Vicar of Holton. 
Today a children’s Recreation Area occupies the site.
Back in the 1800s the village was a quarrying and stage coach stop with Inns and Taverns. 
The village was notorious for drunkenness.  The local Constable secured his prisoners in this lock-up overnight before their appearance at Court in Oxford. 

Twelve years before the lock-up was constructed by a local stonemason, Sir Robert Peel, Home Secretary of the British Government, set up a Select Committee to consider the deplorable state of policing by Constables, Watchmen and Bow Street  Runners.
In 1828 he re-appointed another Select Committee and in 1829 Peel gave approval to establish the Metropolitan Police Force comprising 895 Constables, 88 Sergeants, 20 Inspectors and 8 Superintendents.  These were supported by a civilian staff of a Chief Clerk and 2 assistants.  Peels Police Act was passed on the 29th September 1829 and so the Metropolitan Police Force was born.  The primary object of their duties was the prevention of crime, the detection and punishment of offenders and the protection of life and property.
Peel was born in 1788 at Bury, Lancashire, where I served as a Detective Constable from 1952 until 1955.  He died at the age of 62 from injuries received in a horse accident in 1850.

(contd.): By the late John Sharp

Daily we as policemen have funny & serious experiences happen to us, now a few of the lighter ones:-

When I was a point duty police officer in my early days in the 50’s you may remember when the policeman was on point duty along West Terrace in the city.  Often when I was directing traffic on the corner of West Terrace and Grote Street, around midday Frank Seibert the undertaker would pick up the police officer who had been relieved of duty & returning to the Watch House for lunch.  We usually asked Frank “How’s business” and he’d reply “Pretty dead” and he would continue on to say “Do you know people are dying every day to get a ride in this thing” (Hearse)
  I can remember one Christmas, again in the 50’s  it was Christmas Eve day, I was directing traffic again on the same corner & by lunchtime I needed a wheat bag to take home all the goods people had given me for Christmas.  We had fresh fish, turkey, vegetables, biscuits, boxes with presents all nicely wrapped & a host of other things.  The point duty policeman was very popular. 

I must tell you about the time I was on point duty at the corner of Gawler Place & Rundle Street, again in the 50’s (York Theatre corner) I was directing traffic with the traffic travelling along Rundle Street & I was facing North, when I saw a van travelling easterly & all I could see was an arm out of the window, holding onto a large fish by the tail, it would have weighed about 10 lbs. or more.  I took hold of this fish & kept directing traffic until I could dispose of it.  A barman from the then Oriental Hotel saw what had happened and came to my rescue, putting the fish into the refrigerator until I was ready to go off duty.

  I remember the time I was on the Anti Larrikin Squad, we were having a bad time with the larrikins in the Colonel Light Gardens area.  They would really play up on the weekends & we were sick & tired of telling them to get off the streets & to stop annoying people in the area.  I made a suggest that on Sundays, for something to do, it would be good to go to Church & that the Methodist Church on Goodwood Road had a cuppa and something to eat after the evening service. For about the next 3 weekends, we had no trouble in the area until one day I had a phone call from the minister of the Methodist Church asking me what I was doing telling all the larrikins to attend his Church.  What happened was the larrikins had, in fact, gone to church, on my suggestion & while the Church service was on they would get up & leave the Church to have a smoke & then return & sit down again, of course they would disturb the whole church.  I convinced the minister that he had to do something about their religion as we had done our job getting them to church.  The outcome of this was, of about the 15 or 16 larrikins who originally attended the church, one of them stuck & later married one of the girls of the church.  Most of the others we saw less & less until a new younger group took over.

  Over the years I had to speak to parents & relatives about the death of their love ones.  I can tell you this is not an easy task and the reactions of these people vary.  I will tell you about one.  A phone call from the Adelaide Hospital asking one of the Police from the Norwood station to notify the relatives of a person who had died in the hospital only a few minutes before.  I was given the task to go to a home in Kent Town to notify the wife of the deceased, aged I would think about 75.  I found that the deceased was Catholic so I asked a priest in Norwood if he would meet me at the home of the wife. I went to the neighbour & asked them if they would stand by in case we needed to comfort the wife.  I knocked at the door of the house, an elderly woman opened the door to me.  After introducing myself I asked if we could go to her lounge as I had some distressing news for her. 
In the lounge I told her of her husband’s death in the R.A.H. to which she replied “Well it’s about time the old bastard died, he’s taken nearly 2 years to do it! I’m glad he’s dead!!” Well, you would know how I felt after getting the Priest & neighbours to assist me to break the sad news & remembering it is a very distressing thing for Police to do in the course of their duty.

I found a 13 year old Kilburn girl in Rundle Street, Adelaide, one night, she was with a group of boys who were well known to me as thieves & sex offenders.  We took this girl to her home.  I went to the front door of her house, introduced myself & asked if I could speak to their daughter.  The mother pointed out that it was 11 pm & that her daughter was in bed & she would not waken her.  I almost pleaded with the mother to get her daughter.  She went to the bedroom & found that her child was missing & the bedroom window was open.  Mother rushed back to me & said she was missing from her bed.  I then had the policewoman bring the girl into the house from the police car.  We had records of this same girl being on the streets many nights with criminals.  All this was put to the parents who would not believe their daughter would do such things.  Many boys were arrested and charged with carnal knowledge of this young girl & she was charged with being an uncontrolled child.  A distressing experience, no doubt, for the parents, but also for the Police.  I must say, over the years, I would have had to arrest a lot of children for being uncontrolled.

On the lighter side – I remember the night I was sent to stop a group of larrikins in Rundle Street.  It had been pointed out that the leader of this group was in the most gay clothes & the rest were not so loud in their dress.  A short time later, we saw this group being led by the youth.  I stopped all these boys & started taking their names & addresses, leaving the leader until the last.  I call him over to the police car &, as he walked, I noticed he was dressed in a bright yellow shirt with a black tie, he had a pink & white striped jacket, very bright red stove piped leg trousers, glowing orange coloured socks and the trousers were half mast, showing most of his socks.  His shoes were two-tone black & white.  His hair was pushed back in the then bodgie style & part of the front hair was blond, the remainder very dark. He looked a bright picture & stood out from anyone else in Rundle Street.  I couldn’t help but remark to him as he approached “Why are you wearing your pyjamas in the city, It’s not allowed?”  I said it loud enough for his entire group to hear, they all laughed.  He had been ridiculed in front of his mob & had lost control of his leadership.  It was very rare to see this youth on the streets after that &, in fact, I didn’t see him again with a group.

S.A. Register 1880.

September 25 P753 C2 – Discovery of Human Bones – Believed to be of an aboriginal named Mambery Bill.  In 1849 PT Battams was escorting a prisoner to Adelaide who had committed A double murder at Nelshaby & Baroota.  When crossing the Rocky River, the prisoner’s horse threw him and he was killed on the spot.  He was buried at the place referred to.

November 9 P351 C2 – Locusts – A state of affairs never known to exist before – on the plains as far as the eye can reach the only thing discernible are myriads of locusts.  Land laid completely bare by the sad havoc they have made upon the wheat crop, grass and cotton bush.  One farmer had 300 acres of splendid crop cleared entirely by the locusts in two days – on many hundreds of acres the reaping machine will not be required.

November 12 P377 C5 – Warning to Drovers – At Mount Remarkable Local Court a drover named Lawsen, in employ of Mr. J.H. Angas of Willowie Station was ordered to pay ₤50 compensation and costs for wilful neglect – by which his employer lost 46 valuable stud rams.  Lawsen took delivery of them from the steamer at Port Augusta – then drunk for 10 days & during that time lost or sold the 46 rams.  

A Humorous Incident 

By Chas Hopkins

In the early 1970’s, shortly after Harold Salisbury was appointed Commissioner of Police he was actively involved in addressing groups of the public on police matters and it was considered a good public relations exercise. At the same time the Drug Squad was formed in South Australia and it operated in conjunction with the vice squad.

The offences detected were mainly in respect to the use of amphetamines, which naturally attracted media coverage. This in turn created a constant demand from the public for police to act as guest speakers on that subject. It also resulted in two members of the Drug Squad being allotted that task. Requests for speakers were normally directed to the office of the Commissioner of Police who in turn forwarded them to the Drug Squad for consideration and attention.

On one occasion when a speaker was detailed to speak at a public function, he reported that he would be absent on sick leave at that time. The officer in charge of the Squad immediately sought a replacement and advised his members of the problem. Constable Bill Willshire, who was present and had not previously performed the role of guest speaker, asked who were the public group concerned. He was advised it was a small group of elderly ladies who congregated at a church located at North Adelaide. The Constable advised he was willing to give the talk.

He then travelled to the scene in a police vehicle and on arrival at the church in a police vehicle two ladies who greeted him & called him Mr. Salisbury approached him. He advised them he was Constable Willshire and he was there to speak to their group. He also advised them that although they had written to the Commissioner he would have referred the request to the Drug Squad for attention.  They again advised they had expected Mr. Salisbury to attend in person at the same time indicating they were disappointed he did not attend. The women then led the Constable into the church through a side door and onto a stage and he then noticed the large hall was filled to capacity with women. This made him utter a few oaths under his breath, believing his Sergeant had tricked him into doing the talk.

The Constable was then introduced to the large gathering and he commenced his talk but shortly after doing so he noticed a movement on the stage and on glancing in that direction, saw it was Commissioner Salisbury conferring with the chairperson. Realising there was a problem he conferred with both of them only to find that he had been addressing the wrong group and that Mr. Salisbury was the guest speaker on another matter.

Subsequently he found that he should have been in a small room at the rear of the church, addressing eight or ten elderly ladies who had been waiting patiently for him to attend. The two groups had each made separate requests for speaker on drugs at the same time on the same day in the same church but in different rooms.
A humorous but very embarrassing time for a young Constable on his public speaking debut.

  The Death of Fatta Chand

Allan Peters

  May the Lord have mercy on your soul”, were often the last words that a condemned prisoner heard from the lips of the Judge who passed the dreaded sentence of death upon him.
But it was usually not until late at night in the seclusion of his or her prison cell that the full implication of these words struck home and tormented the mind and soul of the convicted felon.
A day or two after the passing of sentence, the gaol to which the condemned wretch was assigned was often besieged by ministers and priests of various denominations eager to snatch the soul of the unfortunate victim from the depths of hell.
Three parsons for instance, were reported to have paced the floor of a condemned cell on the morning prior to an execution in the mid l800’s.
“Make your peace with God,” remarked the prison Chaplain.
“The Lord is merciful and just to those who confess”, put in the Wesleyan Clergyman.
“None of you can save my body, yet each of you want to save my soul,” came the mocking reply from the convicted bushranger, Johns.
Some prisoners facing execution have understandably, been reduced to a whimpering or hysterical mass, while still others have remained calm and to the very end maintained their innocence.
In Melbourne Gaol, in April l89l a man of Hindustan origin, known as Fatta Chand awaited execution.
Because a religious leader of his own faith was not available his interpreter, Mr. Gilbert Smith was, according to reports, besieged by the prison chaplain, a Roman Catholic Priest, a Salvation Army Officer, a Wesleyan Clergyman and an assortment of other people. All were convinced that they could save Chand’s soul from “Eternal damnation”.
The Hindu however, was resolute. “My father’s faith shall be mine,” he said, “I do not wish to be converted”.
Prison officials however, were equally determined a minister of the Christian faith must be in attendance and every effort had to be made to convert the offender to Christianity before he was judicially put to death.
The interpreter, Mr. Smith, was instructed to tell Chand that a Presbyterian Clergyman had been sent for, and it was expected that Chand would give him his fullest attention.
To this information the prisoner replied “Can you not hang me tomorrow and save me from this worry?”
On each of the prisoner’s remaining days of life, the parson attended him and with the assistance of the interpreter prayed for him. On the last day, the Clergyman begged Chand to confess.
“What is the use of asking me to confess a crime I never committed?” he replied via his interpreter. “Take my hand feel it. Do you feel the warmth of my blood in it? In an hour’s time it will be cold. Can you save this body? Do that first, then talk of my soul”.
Then in a paroxysm of grief he pleaded with his interpreter. “Save me, sir, save me. I see my native village in the Punjab - I see the temple where I worshipped - the smell of Jasmine floats around my god - the song of the bulbul greets my ear - I hear the prayers of the Brahmin Priest”.  Then he slowly began to recite the prayer.  In the midst of the prayer, the voice of the sheriff was heard.  “I demand the body of Fatta Chand”.
The Sheriff and William Walker, the hangman, entered the cell. A wild cry of despair broke from Chand’s lips as he caught sight of the hideously disguised executioner.  At the same moment the clergyman started reading the burial service “Man that is born of woman hath but a short time to live...” Brandy was offered to the prisoner which he refused.
The warders who had come to know Fatta Chand were overcome with emotion as they bade him “good-bye”.
The interpreter, Mr. Smith, sensing a last minute weakening of Chand’s resolve, spoke to him quietly but firmly in his native tongue. “Fatta Chand, die like a man not like a woman”.  The remark had the desired effect Fatta Chand inhaled deeply, drew himself to his full height and replied “I will”. He then walked firmly as Walker led him to the drop and positioned him over the trap.
As the hood was drawn over his face, Chand recited the final words of the prayer for dying Hindus, while in the background the clergyman’s voice could still be heard “earth to earth...”
With a resounding clang, the bolt was drawn and Fatta Chand was launched into eternity.
With very few exceptions was a more pitiful scene than that which was witnessed in the condemned cell when Fatta Chand was preparing for his end ever witnessed in the Melbourne Gaol.

Chand was convicted, and executed for the murder of a fellow hawker and partner, named Juggo Mull, whose dismembered body had been found in a shallow grave near Healesville about 35 miles (56 km.) from Melbourne on November 27, 1890.
Though the evidence against Chand was of a circumstantial nature it was very convincing. Even so he underwent two trials, as one Juryman at the first trial, which was conducted in February 1891, said that his conscience would not permit him to convict the prisoner on circumstantial evidence.
Jurors involved in the second trial having heard the evidence had no such qualms and a unanimous verdict of guilty was very quickly agreed upon and the prisoner sentenced to death.  
Chand however, maintained his innocence to the very end.


  Three Wise Men came to Bethlehem, following a star
Their names, we`re told, were Mechior, Caspar and Balthazar
One brought a gift of frankincense, the others myrrh and gold
They came to greet the newborn king, the Gospel story told.
They gave their gifts to Jesus, in the manger where he lay
His mother offered coffee, but they said they couldn`t stay
They got back on their camels - near the stable they`d been tied
And, as they headed off back east, Mary softly sighed.
"I really don`t need perfume - though myrrh of course is tops
And gold is always useful, but we`re nowhere near the shops
And frankincense is lovely - but a stable`s not the place
I hope they`re not the wisest men in all the human race!"
"It was very good of them to come from such a far-off land
After all that time on camels, it`s a wonder they could stand
But bringing Jesus gifts of myrrh and frankincense and gold
It's just not very practical - he`s only ten days old".
Next afternoon a man appeared outside the stable gate
He said he was the Fourth Wise Man - and sorry he was late
"I`ve brought some things I thought you`d need - it`s a little gift"
A quick inspection of his bag gave Mary`s heart a lift.
A frozen casserole was there, and a stuffed and fluffy toy
Some baby clothes in pastel blue - he`d guessed it was a boy!
"The thought of washing nappies", Mary cried, "need not unnerve us -
For here`s a six-month voucher for a nappy-washing service!`
She turned to thank the stranger, but the stranger wasn`t there
He`d slipped away and vanished in the chilly winter air
But on the gate he`d left a note, quite simple, but profound -
"Don`t write this in the Gospel please, - I`d never live it down!"
So don`t forget the Fourth Wise Man - the wisest of the lot
He brought the really useful gifts the other three forgot
If thoughts of gold and frankincense and myrrh don`t leave you glum
It`s because you`re probably not a young, and new [and first time] Mum.

Christmas Party
















next meeting

Remember that there is no Meeting in January 2005, but there will be a January edition of the Hue and Cry.
The next meeting and AGM will be on Friday February 4th 2005.
A nomination form for Executive Committee was posted in December.


Jim Sykes

Jim is a life member of the Society, who has been recognised for his long service and extensive work as a volunteer. 

He has been heavily involved in the introduction of computers to the organisation & because of his lobbying we now have an extensive network operating. 

It has been hard to find photographs of Jim, because he is usually behind the camera taking the photographs, either still or video. 

Jim served in many areas of the Police Department but seems to have the fondest memories of Maree, Communications  Centre, and Port Adelaide.

He spends at least 2 days a week at Thebarton, working at cataloguing incoming items, training new volunteers for computer work, handling our telephone enquiries and many other very important areas which help to keep the society working.

Jim is always more than happy to share his expertise with any volunteer requiring assistance.  As a public speaker for the society, he travels to various organisations throughout the State to speak about the history of the SA Police Force.

He is a very active, and long serving member of the executive committee.




The “HUE & CRY” is

Published by the
South Australian

Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083



Elees Pick........

Society badge

Web site:



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend
© 2004  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea