Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Society badge


           line 2010    


Many years of Police involvement.     Page 4.



   Bill Prior
   Welcome to our new colourful Hue and Cry.  I am sure you will agree that this new style publication with the colour photographs is more attractive, professional looking and easier to read.  Special thanks to Editors Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea for their efforts in assisting with the preparation of articles and finding relevant photographs.  Also, a special ‘thank you’ to Costa Anastasiou, CEO of the Police Credit Union for agreeing to sponsor the new-style magazine and especially to Marketing Officer Lisa Ceravolo for her assistance with developing the layout and arranging printing.

This marks a new era in the publication of the Hue and Cry, which will be published in March, June, September and December each year and is now available in electronic format as well as the printed version.  The electronic version will be distributed throughout SAPOL with the intention of gaining a greater recognition of the work performed by the Society, an increased interest in our activities and hopefully an increase in membership. 

This is also my final report prior to the Annual General Meeting on 4 February 2011 and concludes my first term as President of the Society.  I can’t believe how quickly it has gone. I thank every member who has contributed to the success of our Society over the past year.  The regular Thursday workgroups have made significant improvements to our Museum and related storage areas.  I particularly thank them for their efforts during the period that we were required to move all of our collection from the old Mess Kitchen area to allow for removal of the asbestos lino tiles. 

There are countless ways in which members assist our Society.  These include working at a display or a special event, cleaning the exhibits in our displays, answering queries from every source imaginable, maintaining and ordering our stationary, performing the various management roles such as being a member of the Executive, arranging tours, managing the uniform or photographic collections, servicing the vehicles or managing one of the general museum areas.  But it is often the small efforts that go un-noticed and I refer particularly to those members who assist by providing supper, prizes or donations towards our monthly raffles, wash the dishes, stack the chairs and clean the floors after our meetings. Thank you to all members who make these contributions.

If you have an interest in joining the Historical Society or assisting with any of our activities, please contact me or one of the current volunteers.

Finally, I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous festive season.





   Bill Prior.



Historical Society and the Christmas Pageant.
In November each year since inception, the Christmas Pageant has entertained thousands of children and adults alike thanks to the former John Martins store in Rundle Street Adelaide.  More recently the pageant has been sponsored by Credit Unions.

The South Australia Police have been involved since the very first pageant and many retired and current Police Officers would have fond memories of being allocated Pageant Duty often during their probationary period.  This would have been their first contact with large crowds and children and provided excellent public relations as not only young police officers, having contact with such crowds, but for many children, their first contact with police officers in a friendly non threatening environment.
For our first colour edition of the Hue and Cry by the Police Credit Union we celebrate this wonderful event with memories of past pageants.
I clearly remember my first pageant as a young police officer, walking up and down my designated section of King William Street, engaging in friendly banter with children and parents alike providing some confidence for my future as a Police Officer.  As the parade made its way, clowns and other participants in the pageant would involve us in fun and games, sometimes grabbing our caps and then returning them much to the amusement of the crowd. 
What a wonderful concept which quickly became world famous and always changing.  Who can forget Nellie the elephant breaking down in Victoria Square, now upgraded and working properly.

The involvement of various sections of the Police Force in the parade such as the Police Band, and Mounted in their magnificent uniforms,

the motor traffic police all ads to the colour of the annual event.

I feel that this event is an important opportunity for younger officers to gain experience and by their actions have such effect on children many of whom gain a lasting respect for police.

Geoff Rawson.



Compiled by Ken Horsnell - September 2008.

Continued from last Month...
Back in Adelaide his father Harry remained stoic and unmoved by George’s farming heroics. George then sought and obtained work at Richards Motor Body Builders at Keswick. His work description was Panel fixer.   Within a short time he applied to join the S.A. Police Force, was accepted and joined 10/12/1928.   One of the other entrants was H.C. (Charlie) Gill who was to become a brother in law (they married sisters) and became life long friends.   Henry George Horsnell married Edna Daphne Catherine Sherriff on 7th December 1929 and they produced four children also — Jeanne, Kenneth, Nancy and Pamela.

After training George was sent to Adelaide for a stint on the beat.   In March 1931 he was sent to Payneham Station assisting Alec Olsen (the big dipper), and he remained there until October 1938.   It was the middle of the great depression, lots of unemployment and general unrest particularly around 6p.m. at night — closing time for Hotels. By all accounts the previous police constable had been harassed and tossed into the horse trough outside of the Duke of Wellington Hotel.  Now George Horsnell wasn’t the sort of chap that you would want to think about chucking into a horse trough — let me tell you!   He met the problem head on by joining the Payneham Football Club leading the 1st ruck and playing in 5 consecutive premierships in the East Torrens Association.
Whilst serving at Payneham Station he also received a Certificate of Merit from the Royal Humane Society for stopping a bolting horse.

HENRY GEORGE HORSNELL — Adelaide S.A. Police Constable aged 31 years who stopped a bolting horse at Norwood (S.A) on August l9”.I 933.   Horsnell was patrolling through North Norwood when he saw a horse attached to a four-wheeled lorry galloping towards him.   He turned his bicycle and rode in the direction in which the horse was going, and as the horse passed tried to grasp the reins, but failed. He followed the horse and caught up with it, and riding beside it untied the reins which were fastened to the shaft and stopped the horse about 50 yards further on.
 George also received (3) Honourable Mentions 1933, 1936 & 1939.   As a matter of interest all of the Horsnell’s were excellent horsemen having been with them all of their lives.

Sometime in the late 30’s a chap by the name of Len Brown who played football for Payneham Football Club approached George for a reference towards joining the Police Force. “Silly young bugger, I hope you know what you’re in for”, said George as he endorsed the application.   This lovely little story told to me by Superintendent Len Brown C.I.B. about 40 years later. I would say he really did know what he was about.
George was a great family man, father and disciplinarian, a product of the times.  As the only son with 3 sisters, I sat on the right hand of the father who headed up the table.  Any skylarking at meal time resulted in me finishing flat on my back on the floor — strong back hand!  

Any other discrepancies that occurred other times would be settled by me bending over whilst he beat me with a strap saying “this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you”. I never did believe that comment.   Back at Payneham Station the ‘Big Dipper’ Alec Olson had moved on to be replaced by Bill Delderfield.   As to be expected a completely different style of management, Delderfield being a returned WW1 veteran.
George was sent to the City Watch House in 1938 where he became part of the Traffic Division.   George was regularly seen on point duty at the corner of King William & Rundle Street.  Edward Rix Cake Shop was nearby, and he would often put cakes for George in the ‘point box’!

In 1939 war with Germany was announced.  George tried to join up but was rejected being outside the 35 age limit.  Eventually after a number of attempts, commissioner Johns recommended him for plain clothes work.  This he did for the duration of the war, opting for the Traffic Division and Uniform again in 1945.

One event may have triggered this decision. The gaming squad was sent to Port Adelaide Station to break up a Two up School.  Everything went according to plan except one small ‘better’ got away and sat on a stump out in the Port River. Eventually someone had to go and get him, George got the nod.  He got his man alright but wrecked a brand new suit in the process.  It’s not the cost of the suit, although that was penalty enough, but the saving up of two years of clothing coupons that money simply could not buy.  My mother, usually a well adjusted composed woman really flew off the handle and gave poor George the ‘rounds of the table’.

Anyway, back to traffic.  In those days, a constable, although he could sit for a Sergeant’s examination, could not be made one for at least 20 years.  In May 1951, George was made Sergeant 3rd. Grade.   He was put in charge of a patrol car, the first with up market communication systems.
At about this time, I remember a Police picnic day held one Sunday at Ashton in the Adelaide Hills.  Traffic Division v Station Personnel.  I was a guest player for traffic and names like Charley Mills, Des Brown, Lofty Symonds, George & Wally Horsnell, Gunner Nation spring to mind.   Also Terrence Timothy a quaint Irishman who willingly ran the Bar all day for the Players.  I spent a couple of hours with him, a delightful yarn spinner.

The next day (Monday) Constable Timothy was doing point duty at the King William
Street, North Terrace intersection when a vehicle went bolting through against his stop sign hand.   He was able to rein him in and interrogate him.    It went something like this-
“What’s your hurry”? — “I’m late for an appointment”
“What’s your name”? - Ken Horsnell
“Don’t tell lies to me, I was with Ken Horsnell most of yesterday — show me your
license” It read Kenneth Charles Horsnell.
Now slightly rattled Terry asked “where are you going that’s so important”? “To the Police Barracks, I’m joining the Police Force.”
This completed the dilemma for Terry who waves him through — speechless!
K.C. Horsnell, my second cousin did indeed join the force and stayed for many years before resigning and joining the Commonwealth Railways.

The Police Picnics which were held regularly and were a great opportunity for all police officers.   Their football games were legendary and George & Wally participated with great gusto.  
They were often ‘charity’ games and involved the Police V Jockeys — you can just imagine George running around with Billy Pyers on his back.  Other Officers to recall being Roy Elliot, Gunner Nation, Ray Henschke, Charley Mills, Lofty Symonds, Fred Hawse, Ike Treloar, Harry Parker, Des Brown, Ralph Tremethick, Russ Walters, Frank Mayne and ? Pope. Later in 1951 George survived a terrible stroke which reduced the big strapping strong bloke into a pathetic state.  The Police system rallied around him keeping him on light office duties until his retirement, invalidated out in January 1958.  Sadly he and Edna died the same day 27/9/1959, George of a fatal heart attack, Edna 12 hours later with shock.

Walter Murray Horsnell -Wally (b1917) was the youngest of the Horsnell brothers (he was 15 years behind George and 13 years behind Alf). When he left Norwood High School he did not attempt to join his brothers on the job.   Rather he did a trade as a    Cooper with Schahinger Pty. Ltd.

He pursued this craft until the outbreak of WW2.   Already a member of the Militia, it was not long before he resigned his job and joined up.   He enlisted on 25/5/1940, his outfit was the 2nd. 7th Field Regiment and his service number was SX3576 which saw service in Palestine, Libya, Alamein, Tobruk, Borneo and Tarakan.   In the Middle East he was with the 9th Division, and received seven Service Ribbons, including the Africa Star.

Whilst on leave he met and married Marjorie Helen Walsh of Albury N.S.W. on 14th June 1944 and they produced three children Helen, Kay and Vicki.   On discharge from the army (27/11/1945) he was encouraged by his brothers to throw in his lot with the South Australian Police Force.   He joined in June 1946 and after barracks was sent to Adelaide in Traffic Control.   This consisted of Point Duty and Motor Bike Patrol work.   Much has also been said about Wally on Point Duty — he was referred to as “The Ballet Dancer at the Crossroads” in an article in the Women’s Weekly 1959.   Wally mentioned to someone that he came through WW2 unscathed, but on point duty he was hit twice by motorists, one sending him flying through the air, but only suffered bruising.

Wally was a very strong man (as were each of his brothers); Wally’s feats of strength were legendary.  One story (there are hundreds) which may demonstrate my point.  One Anzac Day in the 1960’s, Wally having marched with his unit, went back to work to finish his shift.  Having finished work around mid afternoon, he went to the RSL Club Headquarters in Angas Street, where some of his old mates, having had a few beers under their belt, went outside and got Wally’s Police Bike and 4 of them staggered into the Bar and plonked it down in front of him.

“Silly fellows” said Wal with a schooner of beer in one hand, picked up the Motor Cycle in his other hand and took it outside again “Now whose shout is it”?  (I am told this is true as several men present said it and with hands on heart swear to it). You could write so much about Wal yet still never say it all.   He played football for the police team leading the 1st. Ruck; just like brother George — both Collingwood 6 footers (both 5.11¼).   Wally played cricket for the police team, competing in carnivals around Australia.

He joined the United Nations peace contingent in Cyprus at the age of 54.  Whilst there, he was upgraded to Inspector and enjoyed (and deserved) the status.  He retired after spending his last few years at Holden Hill Station.  Being an ex-serviceman he pulled the plug at 60 years of age.  However, that didn’t stop the bloke from working on. He accepted a job as Sherriff of the Court at Adelaide.

An example of Wals' sense of humour, Janine Horsnell, my wife, was called to do Jury Duty at Court.  Wal sees her - “what name, asks he?”  “Horsnell” she said incredulously as if he didn’t know. “How do you spell it?” says Wally.
In 1952 Wally was given a special mention — for conspicuous courage in effecting the arrest of an evidently mental defective who had already killed one person and wounded another.
In 1992 Wally received the Police Overseas Service Medal (1971-1972).

On another occasions Wally, whilst on his motor bike had a fall whilst in pursuit of a felon.  He went over the top of the bike. A woman came up to him and said; “That was incredible”.
Wally said, “Would you like me to repeat it for you?!”
Another time Wally was in pursuit of a speeding driver — and managed to catch up with him and made the arrest.  Until the arrest Wally wasn’t aware that the fellow was one of the State’s best racing drivers.  The fellow, not very happy with Wally, kicked him in the groin. Wally took umbrage and the offending driver was pushed to the ground — his face flattened in the effort.
Incorrigible, that and so much more.  Uniformly popular and admired by all who knew him. Wally Horsnell departed this life 3/10/92 at the age of 75.
One could very easily say that the Horsnell brothers served the S.A. Police Force well, and with much pride, and lacked neither courage nor initiative.  They were all known for their devotion to duty, sense of humour, and a love of life, with a keen desire to assist the public.


Henry Clarke, alias Johnson, an aged man. who camps by himself in the bush, was charged by the police with being unlawfully on the premises of Mrs. E. Gibbons. Clarke pleaded not guilty, but was sent to gaol for 14 days. Mrs. E. Gibbons, a widow, said that Clarke had appeared near her home late at night. She had telephoned to the police, and Mounted-Constable Horsnell had arrested Clarke.—
The Advertiser, Friday January 8th, 1932.


S.A. Police Wall of Remembrance showing available photographs of those police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty, in the Dorothy Pyatt Museum Gallery, Thebarton Barracks..


SA Police Historical Society Vice President Kevin Beare, OAM has been preparing a “Wall of Remembrance” for more than three months now.   The wall displays the photographs (where available) of all 61 police officers killed whilst on duty.   Kate Woodcock searched out the photographs and Allan Peters provided the research for the circumstances of each of the tragedies, which are detailed in a book, also on display.    Tony Kaukas obtained the frames for the photographs which are all suspended on stainless steel wires.   There are photographs of 12 police officers missing from the wall and Kevin is still searching for them.  (see last month’s Hue and Cry for names.
Kevin said that he put the ‘Wall’ up out of respect for these police officers and to recognise their sacrifice.

Retired Detective Senior Sergeant Kevin Beare, OAM.





                  We Welcome you …….

Next meeting will be in February, on the first Friday 4th, andwill be
   our Annual General Meeting,

in the Society's meeting room.

Bar divider



On Saturday afternoon, November 19, about half past 4 o'clock, a most disastrous fire broke out in Mr. Walter Smith's steam saw mill and timber yard situated in Leadenhall-street, and close to the Port road. The cause of the fire is at present unknown, but it is supposed to have been purely accidental. The destruction of property cannot be less than £10,000 to £12,000. The people employed in the establishment left work as usual at 4 o'clock, the engine fires, &c., being all out; the only person left on the premises being Mr. A. Godden, clerk, who was engaged in the office, and who was not aware of the occurrence until informed by some one outside. At about half past 4, dense clouds of smoke were seen to issue from the roof of the saw mill, the upper floor of which is used as a carpenter's shop, and there is little doubt the fire originated on this floor. So rapid was the spread of the fire that in a few moments the whole premises were enveloped in one mass of flame, barely allowing those who were first on the spot time to remove a few books and papers with the cashbox from the office, which were the only things saved.
A brisk wind blowing at the time, the exertions of those present were directed to prevent the spread of the fire, which it was feared would take hold of the Scotch Free Church, the window frames of which caught more than once; men rushing with buckets of water, and heaving it up, whilst the engine belonging to Captain H. Simpson (which was the first) was being got into play, which, with the Port Police engine, saved this building. Captain Simpson's engine, which was in admirable order, did great execution, and after seeing the Kirk safe, directed their exertions on the engine-house, which is partly saved, the police engine preventing the spread of fire in other directions.
A large number of persons worked most manfully in removing what timber, &c., they could, and working the engines, and Messrs. H. E. Fuller and Co., and Thomas Davies, deserve great credit for their promptitude in supplying water by carts for the engines at the beginning. At 6 o'clock the train brought down from Adelaide the Railway engine and the Cornwall; the former, under the charge of Mr. Cherry, was run from the Station by a number of boys, and got to work in admirable style in less than ten minutes. About this time the Imperial arrived, drawn by four grey horses, but considerable delay occurred before the engine got to work. The Cornwall took, at considerable trouble, a first-rate position outside the embankment in the Tam O'Shanter Creek, and did good execution on the burning mass of timber. The Adelaide police engine did not arrive until a quarter before 7 o'clock. The wind carried the sparks with great fury a considerable distance, some of which set fire to the fore-deck of the M. M. Peter, laying in the Company's dock, but was promptly extinguished. Great numbers of people visited the scene of the disaster until a very late hour. Most of the engines were kept at work until midnight, but Captain Simpson's was kept going well manned until 6 o'clock on Sunday morning, and at intervals until 11 o'clock. We understand the premises are partly covered by insurance, but Mr. Smith will be a very heavy loser, and be put to considerable inconvenience in completing his contracts, the whole of the material on the premises being destroyed.
Sunday afternoon Captain Simpson's and the Port Police Engines are still on the ground. The strong breeze at intervals fanning up the flames in the smouldering heaps of boards and timber.

The South Australian, Monday 21 November 1859, page 3.

Bar divider

volunteer thursday

Bob Boscence and Tony Kaukas working on the Society’s new data base ‘ Mosaic’.
Dennis Irrgang and Ernie McLeod show off their recently installed vehicle hoist for minor servicing of Historical vehicles.

Stuart is checking Society mail and phone messages.

Isabel hard at work with Data-Entry of Society artefacts etc.

Geoff and Dawn hard at work updating Historical records during a Thursday volunteer day.

Volunteers are welcome to join us on Thursdays at Barracks.


On Thursday 28 October 2010, Ernie McLeod, Max Griffiths and myself took the following vehicles:-
                    Chrysler Royal
                    BSA Motor Cycle
                    Bedford Prison Van
to Modbury West Primary School for
Children's Safety Week.
We had groups of children visiting us every 20 minutes.  We explained the stories of our vehicles and their
uses.  They all enjoyed piling into the back of the Prison Van and trying our motor cycle helmets on.

Kevin Johnson.





Proud supporters of SA Police Historical Society
1300 131 844 |

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083



Web site




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2010  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea