JUNE

Volume 25   Issue 6.
 
 



June 2003

Many changes are currently taking place at Thebarton.

The meeting room is receiving a much-deserved upgrade.  New carpet has been fitted and the room is currently being painted.  A new public address system has been installed and for our next monthly meeting, new chairs (all matching) will have been delivered.

The Museum building renovations are moving along well, with the floor now completed, and walls of the larger room being painted.  There has been a delay with the rear veranda repairs caused by a timber supply problem, but this is expected to be resolved quickly.  Thank you to Tony Woodcock, who removed the old security screens and an old aluminium blind from the parade ground side of the building.  This has made quite a difference to the appearance of the building and there will be a need for a small working bee later to clean up areas not affected by renovations.

The motor shed now has its new roller door, and the building has finally been secured.  Rex has been busy working on the Holden and it is about to be re-painted.  Many thanks to Rex and his team for the cleanup of the old Robo car wash area; which has also had an upgrade.  (The doors actually open with new hinges and a rebuild of the supports.)  The William Fisk is currently stored in this area, and will be upgraded and placed in the Glenelg Town Hall (upstairs museum).

A new trailer has been purchased for use by the Society.  It is anticipated that this will be multi purpose, including transporting motorcycles.

At our Friday monthly meeting we were privileged to hear Errol CHINNER, who spoke about the history of Port Adelaide.  This was a fascinating talk, taking us from the pre-history period of the area, to the Colonial era, and explaining the movement of the Kaurna people.  This was a fascinating talk and we may well have him back for a future meeting to talk more about our more recent history.  Well-done Errol.

Our next meeting will be Friday the 4th July and will feature Justin Honan as guest speaker.  His subject will be Mount Everest.

I look forward to seeing you there.
 

Geoff Rawson
Vice President



 


 
 

“Our records sometimes reveal surprisingly varied lives.
This account of ‘Wally’ Walloscheck shows a man constantly on the move.
He served as a Police Officer from 1922 to 1928”
D.M. Pyatt
 

MAHUTA ALFRED WALLOSCHEK

Was born in New Zealand on 3rd May 1901

Owing to the sickness of his mother soon after his birth, he was cared for by several Maori women who christened him “Mahuta” which in Maori means “King”.

The family moved to Adelaide when he was about 3 years old. They also spent some time in Broken Hill.

His father was employed by the Vacuum Oil Company and also spent time prospecting for gold and opals.

“Wally” (as he was affectionately known) went to Unley Primary School and served as a choirboy in St Augustines Anglican Church in Unley.  The whole family was musically inclined and each played an instrument of some kind and sang in choirs, father being a member of the Adelaide Liedertafel and also for a short time of the Tanunda Liedertafel.  The family consisted of 7 children and they would all get together on Sunday afternoons with such famous musicians as Tom King, Jack Fewster etc.

In 1914 while a member of the band organised by Our Boys Institute in Wakefield Street, a trip was organised to tour parts of U.S.A. but this trip had to be cancelled on the outbreak of World War 1.

“Wally” had become proficient in playing the cornet. In 1917 he won a gold medal in competitions at Victor Harbour for cornet solo at the age of 16.  Soon after this he was invited to join the Army cadets and played the trumpet on parades and then in the army band at Keswick Barracks.

Joining the Light Horse just after W.W.1, he was in the militia until W.W.2 when he enlisted in the AIF and served mainly in the Middle East with the rank of Major.

He was a member of the O.B.I. Band, Foresters Band, Unley City Band, Mitcham Band, SA Police Band and Tramways Band.  He organised the Maitland Band and was its first drum major, competing at Tanunda Band competitions, his army experience being so helpful in training the band in their precision marching.
 

Other bands of which he was a member and drum major were Renmark and Perth R.S.L. bands.  He also served as adjudicator for competitions in Tanunda, and Perth. After his retirement he presented his drum majors mace to the Marananga Brass Band.

This mace was especially imported from England for his use and he used to tell of the hours he would spend every day in practising spinning it.  This practice would be on the lawn in case of dropping it until he become proficient.
  

He was also a professional wrestler and was judged the first “Mr Adelaide” in competitions held by Weber, Shorthase and Rice (Physical Culture School) in 1924 while also an instructor (Physical) in the Police Force.  He served for some time in the SA Fire Brigade and in the SA Police Force where he was an instructor in the Mounted Police - gaining among other prizes, a medal for team wrestling, tent pegging and a trophy for the best turned out Police Horse at the First Royal Adelaide Show to be held at Wayville Showgrounds.

In 1932 he married Thelma Wuntke formerly of Riverton  - he met her while he was on Police duty in that town.

After leaving the police force he became “Claims Officer” for the Tramways trust, their home fronting onto the Botanic Park at the Hackney Depot

 

At the outbreak of W.W.2 he enlisted in the AIF in the 18/23rd Light Horse but on being sent overseas the Light Horse was disbanded and became the 2/3 Machine Gun Battalion which saw service in the Middle East, “Wally” being promoted to the rank of Major.  Towards the end of W.W.2 he was invalided home and discharged.

He bought a fruit orchard at Clare and worked it for several years and then went into Hotel Brokerage in Adelaide.  His next step was to go to Perth and join Clarrie Wald as co-licencees of His Majesties Hotel in Hay Street, with his wife as hostess.

After several years he returned to Adelaide and took charge of the catering at the Adelaide Children’s Hospital; then took over the Shandon Hotel on Tapleys Hill Road.  This was followed by catering with Cook and Wallis at the Adelaide Oval.

Leaving this catering job he became administrator of Point Pearce Mission Station on Yorke Peninsular.  Then followed the management of the following hotels with his wife as capable hostess.  Nuriootpa Community Hotel, Renmark Community Hotel, Mildura Winkersum Hotel and then returned to Riverton where he served for some years as a Justice of the Peace.

He served in the Freemasons Lodge for 50 years and as Grand Master.

Throughout his life he continued his love of Brass Bands and, on moving to Freeling, transferred his interest and affection to the Maranang Brass Band, which especially honoured him with an “evening” on the occasion of his 85th birthday.

After each suffering a fall on consecutive days, he and his wife were hospitalised and later moved to the Maristave Private Nursing Home at Freeling where Wally passed away on the 5th November 1986



 

A request has been received from the SAPOL International Police Tattoo Project Manager for a display of Historical Items in the foyer of the Entertainment Centre.  The committee has accepted the request and a reply forwarded to the committee accordingly.  We will be looking for additional volunteers to assist us with this project later in the year.

Correspondence received re possible grants.  Heather Gill to be contacted by the Secretary and meeting set later in the month to obtain advice from Heather re this matter.

Richard and Suzanne Tolmer expressed thanks to the society for being involved in the Bordertown Gold Escort re-enactment and celebrations.  Committee also expressed their gratitude to Richard and Suzanne.

Secretary Owen Bevan has offered to set up Idea, achievements and policy registers as a result of suggestions by Jim Sykes. ( We welcome any suggestions for ideas etc from any member. )

The constitution is to be further reviewed by committee with a view to finalising the document and presenting it to a special general meeting of members for approval.

Committee expressed appreciation to Jan Hutchin for her work in producing the Hue and Cry, currently being produced in house.  A new editor will be appointed in due course and some changes to the format are anticipated.

Discussions relating to Foundation Day 2004.  Further enquires to be made and recommendation to next meeting.

Discussions relating to the purchase of a new trailer for the society, to be used for transporting motorcycles to various events, and other display uses.

Dorothy Pyatt raised need for dust covers in the museum when not in use to protect exhibits.

Committee discussed the annual Field Day and decided to cancel this year owing to the number of commitments and resource problems.
 
 

Geoff Rawson
 Chairman.

---------------------------------------oooo0oooo--------------------------------------

As a follow up to our photograph in the May issue of the Hue & Cry

The photograph was taken around the 1900’s, the exact date not known.

 

The Photograph depicts the "Crew" for the Rocket apparatus at Port MacDonnell and was taken at SHELLEY BEACH, near PORT MacDonnell.  The members of the crew were as follows, Trooper W. Mowbray, J. Hopwood, V. Perryman, Irven Feast. Dave Carrison, J. MacDougall, Frank Uphill, G. Carrison & W. Brooksby

This photograph is that which is displayed in the Dining area of the Port MacDonnell, Victoria Hotel and Mr Irven FEAST in fact holds the original Photograph. A history of the apparatus, is as follows:
 

The Rocket apparatus for the Port MacDonnell area, was housed in a large iron shed, which was erected near the foot of the Jetty at Port MacDonnell

The apparatus equipment was transported by wagon and a team of five horses, therefore, the apparatus included suitable harness also.   If the terrain in which the rescue was to be attempted was unsuitable for horses to pull the wagon, all equipment would be carried by packhorses to the rescue area, with the equipment being stored in wooden boxes/chests

The actual apparatus consisted of a rocket stick as it was so called. This "rocket stick" was a 12ft long shaft upon which the actual rocket was mounted.   The Rocket was approximately 2ft in length and was of two stages.   The initial stage used to launch the rocket and line and the second stage ignited after launch in order to carry the line over the vessel which was in trouble

The line attached to the rocket shaft was very soft and pliable, about 5OO yards in length; it was attached to the rocket shaft by use of a fine steel wire, which was threaded along the shaft. This was done in order that the rocket would not burn the line.

    The actual launch of the rocket was undertaken by means of a portable tripod stand.   In reference to the line this was stored on pegs, then turned out upside down when ready for use.   By doing this tangles were avoided.

The local policeman was the Officer In Charge of the Crew.  Each member of the crew received 6 shillings every three months in the form of a cheque from the State Government.
 

In addition to this pay, one member was nominated after each use/practice to dry and stow the lines. He received 10 shillings for this task. Any use of the apparatus was authorised by the local Constable.

In relation to records kept of the use of the apparatus, Mr. Feast states that these would have been kept by the Police Constable.   It is not known as to what would have happened to any of these records.  Use of the apparatus ceased in 1930, upon ships of the day being fitted with radio equipment.

As to the apparatus being used in actual rescue of passengers and crew from a sinking ship, a Vessel called the ‘GLENROSA’ apparently went down in the area. The exact date and location is not known. The crew and apparatus went to the aid of another vessel, the ‘AELOS’, which struck a reef during the night at Carpenter Rocks.   By the time the crew reached this vessel all had been rescued.  It is not known if the apparatus was fired on this occasion.
 

When the use of the apparatus was ceased in 1930, all of the equipment was either sold by tender or at auction. Mr. Feast forwarded much of the actual rocket apparatus to the Maritime Museum, which is located at Pt. Adelaide.
 
 

---------------------------ooOOOoo----------------------------­

ROY HARVEY COLLECTION:

In 1965 Roy Harvey gave to the S.A. Police Department, as Deed of Gift, his lifetime collection of approximately 2000 International Police Badges, as well as 70 Headdresses.  These together with John White’s impressive collection of Police Caps are stored in glass cabinets in readiness for display to the public.

It is important to protect this collection from the deleterious effects of light when not on display.

An appeal is made for anyone with spare old sheets or covers which could be used to give protection to this most valuable collection.
 

D.M. Pyatt


FROM THE REGISTER  25/8/1925

“CURRENCY CREEK SENSATION”

A woman shot – Accused Assailant Escaped to the bush.

A shooting incident occurred in a group of railway ganger’s cottages at Currency Creek, on the Victor Harbour Railway line, about 6am on Saturday, as a result of which Elizabeth Jane Wallage (39), single, was taken to Goolwa Hospital, suffering from a bullet wound in the thigh.

The police and residents of the district spent all day until sundown on Saturday searching the scrub in the vicinity of the occurrence for George Henry Crossman,  who had a double-barrel shotgun with him, and was said to have left home without boots.

When the happening became known in Adelaide, Inspector Whittle, (Officer in Charge of the Criminal Investigation Branch) detailed the black tracker McLean to assist the Goolwa and Echunga police to locate the man, but their work was made difficult owing to the thick grass which surrounds the place.

The black tracker who was sent from Adelaide on Saturday arrived rather too late to begin serious operations on that day, but an early start was made on Sunday.  A party of between 20 and 30 horsemen headed by M.C’s McLean (Goolwa), Welsh (Mannum) and McIllroy (Victor Harbour) conducted a vigorous search during the day in the thick scrub in the Hundred of Nangkita, but no trace of the missing man was found.

So far as can be ascertained he is still bootless and if that is so it will not assist the operations of the black tracker.  All the searchers are armed, and although  they had a long tiring day yesterday they will reassemble at an early hour this morning.

Police officials who have been attending to the case seem unable to supply the real motive for the shooting.  Whether it was jealousy or not cannot be established definitely.

THE REGISTER

24/7/1928

The NUDE PROWLER – Appearance in Railway Train

A nude man, apparently the one who has appeared several times recently in the vicinity of Grange, has now been seen at night at Seaton Park.

Last Friday night Miss Audrey Olsen, of Port Road, West Croydon, who is employed at Henley Beach, was returning home in a train which left Henley Beach shortly after 8 o’clock.  She was seated in a carriage alone reading a book.  Suddenly when the train left the Seaton golf links she heard the door move, and looking up she was startled to see a totally unclothed man.

He did not attempt to molest her, but stood by the door.  “I was so alarmed” said Miss Olsen, “that I buried my head in a book and tried to go on reading.”  When the train was nearing Seaton Park the man vanished.  The night was dark and cold, and in the area around Seaton there are paddocks densely covered with boxthorn.  The man probably had an unenviable experience in making his escape.
 


Uniform members capturing Kangaroo.
Can any member supply any further information re the location or names of those involved?

 


The “HUE & CRY” is
Published by the South Australian
Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/— Box 1539 S.A. 5083
G.P.O. Adelaide 5001

 

  Web site:
www.sapolicehistorical.org/

 


Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend
© 2003  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea