Police banner
Society Banner




Society Badge                                      

               INSIDE THIS ISSUE

Click Here
Front Cover
President's Page
Blast From the Past
New Members
Volunteers in Action
Next Month's Meeting





ildred Street, Port Augusta (east) in the early 1870’s, with the Police Barracks on the right
& the Dover Castle Hotel in the middle  (officers didn’t have far to walk for a lemonade).   Photo probably taken from Tassie’s cottage, the present site of the Exchange/Fourways Hotel.



Another month of activities by our volunteers has passed with outside visits, tours of the museum, the police tattoo, history week, and the attendance by our vehicle group assisting the Traffic Support Branch at Aimee stadium.  Our open day on 18th May was very  disappointing, attracting only a very small number of  visitors; however our super salesmen in Holger Kruse and Alan Peters managed to extract the maximum from the smaller number of visitors.

On Thursday the 29th May our Patron Mal Hyde (COP) attended a ceremony to present Dorothy Pyatt with her police service medal and a public service award.  There was a large group of supporters including our volunteers and visitors and our thanks to all those ladies who provided the afternoon tea.

This month we have commenced the renovation of the Roy Harvey Gallery which will receive new curtains and a paint job.  Kevin Beare leads the group of museum volunteers who will be busy for several weeks making improvements.  We hope to see the new medal security cabinet installed in this room very soon.  In other  museum news we have a diorama of the North Terrace Barracks installed in the Dorothy Pyatt gallery.  The   Keswick Army Barracks museum is to be thanked for the work done over many months by its volunteers etc to produce this outstanding display.  There are more  dioramas in production.

At our June Meeting on Friday the 6th June, the fully restored FJ Holden was on display at the front of our Administration Building. We congratulate Rex Greig on his dedication and thank him most sincerely for the many, many hours he has put into the restoration of this very special vintage vehicle. We are now only waiting on the finalisation of the registration details, by the  Registrar of Motor Vehicles, to complete this long term project.

Terry HarbourRetired Superintendent Supt Terry Harbour was the meeting’s guest speaker and his subject was the Whyalla airline disaster.  Terry  compiled a power point presentation of photographs which provided a better knowledge of the events on that flight.  This tragedy was headline news with some  suggestions of pilot error, lean fuel settings by the company to save money, but it was, in fact, the engines which proved to be faulty with no blame whatsoever on the pilot or the company.  Since this time all similar aircraft have had modifications to the engines to overcome the  problem. Terry received a  Certificate of Appreciation and a copy of “Tales of the Troopers” as a thank you for his contribution to the   evening. 58 Society members and friends expressed their gratitude with a rousing round of applause. 
The raffle raised an amazing $109.00.  Members  enjoyed a wonderful supper and seemed reluctant to go home!

Next month 4th July, 2008 the speaker will be Sergeant Al Buckler and his subject “Volunteers in Policing” should be very interesting.  Once again I hope to see you there for another enjoyable night.



Geoff Rawson

  President .


Yes—We’ve all had them.  Times when we should have engaged the brain before opening our mouth—commonly known as brain freezes—but we probably weren’t on national television or otherwise engaged in a major event at the time.  Unfortunately for those below, they were
“If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of    failure” -   Bill Clinton when  President
“We are ready for an unforseseen event that may or may not occur” - Al Gore, when Vice President  

“The word ‘genius’  isn’t applicable in football.  A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein” - Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst having one of’  ‘those’ moments.

“Smoking kills, if you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of life” - Brooke Shields, during an interview to become Spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.

“That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I’m just the one to do it” - A congressional candidate in Texas.

“Traditionally, most of Australia’s imports come from overseas” - Former Australian Cabinet Minister,  Keppel  Enderbery.

“We don’t necessarily discriminate.  We simply exclude certain types of people” - Colonel Gerald Wellman, Reserve Offiers’ Training Corps. Instructor.  

    “I’m not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers.  We are the   President” - Hillary Clinton  ommenting on the release of subpoenaed documents.

“I was provided with additional input   that was radically different from the truth.  I assisted ion furthering that version.” - Colonel Oliver North, from his Iran-contra testimony.

“I’ve never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body” - Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.

  “Half this game is 90% mental.”     Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark.

“If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack in at night as they go to bef and it will monitor their heart throughout the night.  And the next morning, when they wake up dead, there’ll be a record.”  Mark S. Fowler, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.  

Question: “If you could live forever, would you and why?”
Answer:  I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever.” - Miss  Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA  Contest.  

Freezes courtesy New Zealand Police News.


A Devious Mind—A Case of Blackmail.

    In July 1954, a farmer at Cleve received an anonymous letter, asserting that he was guilty of tax avoidance, and that the author would report him unless the sum of one thousand pounds, in small denominations (one, five and ten pound notes) was forwarded to Mr. J. Smith, C/o the Nailsworth Post Office, the parcel to be forwarded by ordinary mail.

    The farmer reported the matter to the police.   Following this it was arranged for a tin to be filled with paper and then this to be parcelled and posted to Nailsworth Post Office.  The parcel was kept under close scrutiny until it was despatched.
Detective Frank Whitrod & I  were detailed to pursue the matter.  We took up a position in the building where we had a full view of the  parcel—a very boring   assignment.

After some five days a man called at the counter to collect the parcel.  To his surprise, he was apprehended.  He informed us that he was a taxi driver who had been asked to collect the parcel and to deliver it to the Gepps Cross Post Office.  The taxi firm confirmed that this was so. 

    Arrangements were then made  for the taxi driver to deliver the parcel to the Gepps Cross Post Office, with Detective Whitrod concealed in the taxi, and I in a police car not far away.
    Soon after the delivery a man left his car, parked nearby, and entered the post office.  He soon returned to his car, but we stopped him as he drove away; he was found to be in possession of the parcel.
    He was well dressed and well-spoken, and said that he was employed as an Air Traffic Controller at the Parafield Airport.  The man stated that he had been approached by another man at the airport, who had asked him to collect the parcel, because he himself has some business to attend to and could not collect it at that time.  The man being questioned also said that he would be given five pounds for collecting the parcel.  The parcel was to be left at the airport desk for collection.
    However, no one at the airport desk had any knowledge of any arrangement for the parcel to be collected.  Following this, a typewriter at the office of the Air Controller was checked, and it was found that a defect ion the type of one letter of the alphabet matched that of the letter sent to the farmer.
    Confronted by this evidence, the Air Controller admitted this guilt.  It turned out that while on holiday ion Cleve earlier in the year, he had been told that the farmer had avoided tax, and decided that, because he himself could not do so, it was only fair that he should have a share.
    The defendant was well respected, and had not previously come to the attention of the police.  One of his sons was a bank manager and the other a commercial airlines pilot.  In court, a number of prominent citizens attested to his standing in the community, and to his previous good behaviour.  He was released on a bond on a condition that the not re-offend.
    The verdict was a great relief to him and to his family, who were greatly distressed by his foolish conduct, which was prompted by his envy of what he perceived as another’s good fortune.        

emails to the editor


Following the visit from the group of Retired Troopers, as reported in our last issue,  I received an Email from Mrs. Dawn Scotland of Goolwa,  regarding the following article, which appeared in the Southern Argus on the 11th September, 1879.

Two well known residents of Goolwa met their deaths on Friday last (5th) by an accident , the precise nature of which is still  unsettled.  At about 12 o’clock Wallace and  Stockford, employees of Mr. Clark, the brewer, left their employer’s  establishment on the usual round with horse and dray, and after calling at the three licensed houses in Goolwa, proceeded to the foundry wharf to procure a cask which had been left by the steamer “Ruby”

A man employed near the slip, Peter McConnichie, saw the men drive on the water side, but notice no more.  An hour or two later, and no sign being observed of the two men,  information was given to the police, and PC Thompson, finding that the wheel tracks ran to the river bank with no returning marks, engaged a boatman and dragged the stream.

At last Thompson brought up on the boathook a quantity of  horsehair, and the drag soon brought to the surface the head of a horse.  A rope being attached to the neck about 20 stalwart arms soon dragged horse and dray up the bank.  There is about 30 ft. of water ion the Murray at this spot.

Shortly after Constable Thompson brought the body of  Wallace to the surface.  Dragging is continuing for the body of Stockford.

A week later, the l8th September, the Southern Argus reported that the body of Stockford had been found, two miles from Goolwa by J.J. Spencer and Peter McConnichie.  William, Stockford was buried on Monday 15th September in Currency Creek Cemetery.  He was aged 53 years.
William Wallace was 26.  There is no record of where William is buried. 
Dawn asks—
“What made the men drive into the river?  Too much imbibing at the hotels they visited perhaps!!”  

As a result of Dawn’s Email. I endeavoured to  investigate this report further and to my surprise found the following information in our archives, regarding another drowning at Goolwa in June of the next year, 1880.  The victim this time? - Police Constable Thompson!!


 This quiet place was thrown into quite a state of  excitement this morning, when it became known that PC Thompson had been drowned at the Murray Mouth the  previous evening.

 From proceedings taken at the Inquest which was held in the Court House on Tuesday June 22nd, before A. Graham Esq. Justice of the Peace, Coroner, the particulars of this melancholy event may be learned.
   F. Cavill (Professor of Swimming) was sworn and deposed.      “I was at Spenser’s Hotel yesterday and expressing a wish to go fishing if anyone would go with me.  The deceased Alfred Thompson, offered to do so.  We started at about half past two and intended   staying at the Signalman’s House near the  Flagmast all night.  We saw the signal staff at about dusk and rounded the Buoy and put the boat on the other tack and then lose sight of the staff and the buoy, and   found ourselves in a strong current.  We both got out the oars and tried to row but could not make any way.  We reached the breakers and then the boat got swamped.  We then got our oars off and the boat was overturned.  We got onto the bottom and another sea washed us off.  Then we got on the mast which was floating, but attached to the boat by the halyards.  I tried to hold the deceased on the spar by putting a line around him, thinking that was the safest way until we drifted ashore or into smoother water outside. We were in the midst  of   the breakers. 

Just then, the deceased was very excited and I could not get him to do what I wanted.  I got him onto the boat and told him to hold on with one hand and I held the other.  The deceased was too far gone and said “Lord have mercy on our souls”.  Shortly after a heavy sea upset the boat and I never saw him after.  I remained in the water for about an hour afterwards when I felt the bottom and walked out.  I went over the sandhills and heard a dog bark and saw a light.  I called out for some time but could not succeed in making anyone hear.  I kept walking about to get warm for about two hours then the moon got up and I could see the opposite shore. I saw alight and started to walk to it and got to Goolwa between 11and 12.  I went to the Corio Hotel and sent notice to the Police”.
     In reply to police trooper Rumball, the witness then said, “The deceased steered the boat.  He said he knew the place therefore I trusted him.”
     By a Juror “The boat was a safe one.  A life boat would have been capsized in the place we were.  We were both perfectly sober.”
Arthur Rededell was sworn and deposed.
     “The deceased came to the Corio Hotel about 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon.  Mr. Cavill came in shortly after.  The deceased said he was going with Cavill down to the Murray Mouth to the Signalmans.  I lent him a gun which he asked for and also lent him a rug.  He said they wanted to shoot pelicans.  He took half a pint of whisky and two bottles of water.  I went to the wharf and carried the things for them.  I saw them get into the boat and start.  The deceased was steering.  They were both sober
Police Trooper Rumball sworn.
     “About 12 o’clock last night I received information of an accident at the Murray Mouth.  I went over to the Corio Hotel and saw Mr. Cavill the first witness.   He said he was afraid Mr. Thompson, his mate, had drowned.  I immediately went off on horseback to the Murrray Mouth, taking a half-caste with me.  We went along the beach and found the body about a mile from the Mouth.  The tide had gone out and left him on the beach with his hand and right arm covered with sand.  It was about two o’clock when we found him.  I recognized the body as that of A.E. Thompson, late Police Constable of Goolwa.”
     This was all the evidence and the Jury returned the following verdict.
     “That the deceased A.E. Thompson came to his death by accidental upsetting of a boat at the Murray Mouth and that no blame is attached to anyone.”
     The Coroner remarked at the close of the proceedings that great credit was due to Police Trooper Rumball for the prompt and efficient means he had taken to recover the body and carry out the proceedings in such a short time.      


A picture is worth a thousand words.


Photo courtesy of  Funpix.com.

The look on the Police Bloodhound’s face conveys his thoughts perfectly.  “You want me to do what with those?” 

He certainly  doesn’t look too interested in the prospect of tracking with the perpetrators “grundies” as the main clue to his whereabouts.

Adelaide Advertiser28th October 1929.



Bullet Strikes Whistle Over his Heart.



After two men were surprised by the caretaker in Barlow Building, Rundle-Street, a few minutes before 5 am on         Saturday, a thrilling chase took place through several streets.  Nine shots were fired by police officers and another by one of the runaways.
Constable Daniel Beaty is alleged to have been shot at point blank by the man.  The bullet entered a pocket in the tunic of the officer, near his heart, but was deflected when it struck his whistle.  One man was captured after a long chase.  The other was arrested on a charge of attempted murder later in the morning.

Investigations by detectives revealed that a number of   offices and showrooms in Barlow Building had been   re-entered and that a safe had been removed from a shop of the ground floor to the second floor, where it had been forced open.
For the first time for many years, Mr. James Moncrieff, of Watson Street, Maylands, who is caretaker at Barlow Building, arrived at the premised before 5.30 am.  His assistant, Mr. L. Overall, who lives next door to him, wanted to leave the city for the country early that morning.  Mr. Moncrieff, with Mr. Overall, arrived at the building about 5 o’clock.  They went along Lindes lane to the side door leading to the building.  Mr. Moncrief was carrying a broom and his    companion had two buckets.  Mr. Overall  unlocked the door and was surprised to see two men standing just inside.  One had something dark in his hand.  Mr. Moncrieff then notice the men.  He immediately ran towards Rundle street and cried, “Help, Police!!”  He looked back and noticed Mr. Overall and the two men running towards him.  The two men passed him and were running in the direction of Charles Street. 

Chase Begins.

Constables Beaty and J Wren, who were on duty in Rundle Street, had just met near the Regent Theatre, and noticed the men running, and Constable Beaty went to the corner of Charles Street and cut them off.  They turned and ran to the corner of Gawler place, with the two constables in   pursuit. One of the mean gained a good lead, but Constable Beaty kept close to the other man.  Near the corner of Gawler place Constable Beaty stretched out and grabbled the back of the coat of the second man, but he overbalanced, and was in the act of falling when the man swung round and hit the officer across the eyes with some object, which broke.

When shooting started.
The man is then alleged to have put his right hand in his overcoat pocket and produced a revolver.  Immediately there was a loud report, and Constable Beaty saw a flash.  He then fell to the ground, and the man ran off.  Constable Wren made a rush at him, but he escaped.  With Constable Wren close behind the man turned into Gawler place.  Constable Beaty called out to the other officer, “Stand Back” and he then fired two shots in the direction of the running man.  The two bullets did not take effect, but one entered a window in the shop of Birks Chemist Limited, and the other went into the shop window of S. Marshall & Son, music warehouse.   His gun became jammed, and Constable Wren fired three quick shots.  One of the bullets entered the window of Mr. C.P. Sarre, Jeweller.  The officers continued running after the man who had first fired, but the other one had disappeared into a lane.  Constable Beaty gained on the man, who had run to Grenfell street and then into Commercial Place.  A paper delivery motor van was passing along Grenfell Street at the time and Constable Beaty hailed it.  He ordered the driver to chase the man.  While standing on the running board of the van, which passed through Commercial place into several other lanes at a high speed   Constable Beaty called on the fugitive to stop,. And he also threatened to shoot.  At  a narrow corner the motor vehicle had to slow down.  The man then disappeared into another lane.  While searching for him,. Constable Beaty saw the other man, and he immediately followed in the van through a narrow lane into Pirie Street.

Another Constable Fires Shots.
While patrolling Flinders Street Constable R.B. Williams heard several revolver shot, and he ran into Gawler Place as far as Pirie Street, where he saw a man run from a lane and continue in a westerly direction The officer called on the man to stop, but he did not heed the request,.  Constable Williams fired two shots in the air.  The man turned round, still running  and at the same time he put his hand to his hip pocket, apparently endeavouring to make the constable believe that he had a firearm.  Constable Williams fired two more shots at the man, but they took no effect.  Constable Beatty then arrived on the scene, still on the motor vehicle,. And continued the chase.  The man ran across King William Street and, when nearly opposite “The Advertiser” office the van pulled alongside him.  The constable jumped off, grabbed him with one hand, and stuck the point of his revolver into his side.  The man is reported to have said “I am licked and will go quiet”.  Constable Beaty took him to the City Watchhouse, where he gave the name of Earnest Alexander Ryan (42) OF Adelaide.  He was charged with being a suspected person and having been present in Rundle Street with intent to commit a felony.  He was placed in a cell.

A close call.
It was not until he was at the watchhouse that Constable Beaty discovered that he had been so close to death.  He noticed a quantity of gun powder on  his pocket and in the centre a small hole caused by the bullet.  On examining his whistle he found that a piece of nickel had been knocked off and that there was a dent where the bullet had lodged.

Detectives Investigate

The detective office was informed and a party of officers, headed by Detective Trestrail, went in search of the other man.  Barlow Building was examined and it was found that five offices and shops had been entered. 
Every apartment in each portion of the building showed signs of having been ransacked. To enter the shop of Mr. L.G. Blair, who trades under the name of Ladies” Accessories Proprietary Limited , on the ground floor facing Rundle Street, the thieves had to go to a lot of trouble.  The rear door had been fastened with spring locks.  Holes were bored in the door at the top, middle and bottom near each lock.  After the thieves had gained entry they ransacked the office and took the iron safe from the shop to the lift and then to the second floor.  They did not use gelignite, but used a saw or sharp instrument to cut rivets at the bottom a side of the safe.  They then forced the sides apart.  Apart from the safe they secured about ₤10.

Tools and Money Found.
Constable Cain, while searching Rundle Street, found a small case in a doorway.  It contained a hacksaw, knife, bit, some copper coins and two black silk bags.

Alleged Attempted Murder.
Detectives T. Correll and C. McGrath were out searching for the second man about 10 an.  They were walking along King William Street where they saw a man talking to an elderly man.  They questioned him and took him to the City Watchhouse. 

Later is was reported that he had been identified as one of those concerned in the shooting and he was charged with having attempted to murder Constable Beaty.  He will probably appear at the Adelaide Police Court this morning.  He gave his name as Richard Bennetts (42), labourer of Westbury Street, Hackney.

Ernest Alexander (“Shiner”) Ryan was later charged before Mr. E.M. Sabine, in the  Adelaide Police Court.   The Police Prosecutor Mr. R.A. Lenthall outlined the circumstances of the case and applied for a remand.  The  accused, who was refused bail, was remanded until    Wednesday.




Ms E. Venning.    
Ms. J. Faust.   



                  We Welcome you …….

Friday 4th July, 2008 at 8.00 pm

    SPEAKER:   Sergeant Al. Buckler
    SUBJECT:    Volunteers in Policing

This is a topical issue at the moment with all the publicity about volunteers being used to assist    police with observation & surveillance type work in addition to the various other roles that volunteers play such as the Watch programmes, Blue Light &, very importantly—the Historical Section !

Bar divider

On Thursday 29th May some 50 members and friends shared in a  special  ceremony for the presentation, by Commissioner Mal Hyde APM,  of The Police Service Medal and  Public Service Award  to 
   Dorothy Pyatt OAM. .
The presentation was followed by a sumptuous afternoon tea.
 We  congratulate Dorothy on these outstanding achievements.

Bar divider

Historical Society’s
Christmas Dinner.

In view of our very successful celebration last year, the Police Club has again been booked this year’s Christmas Dinner.
 Please note that this year our Celebration will be held on a Saturday evening.

More details later.

      Many of our Volunteers were unable to attend our last Monthly Meeting because of commitments to the PoliceTattoo.

Rex Greig & Holger Kruse were centre stage at each performance, with Kevin Beare, Max Griffiths & Ernie McLeod flying the Society’s flag at front of house.

Staff at the Entertainment centre manned a  Memorabillia Stall, where sales of our own items  amounted to $1,457.97 with a profit of  $708.75 toward Society funds.

President Geoff Rawson has had a very busy month with outside visits to Kalyra Aged Care facility at Belair, &  Scouters Social &  Service Group at Stirling .

Visits to the Museum included Law Students from Whyalla, Salisbury East over 50’s group, & the Port Elliot National Trust.

The Vehicle team assisted the Traffic Support branch  with a display of vehicles at Aimee Stadium.

The Society’s Meeting Room has also been heavily booked— with SAPOL courses, meetings and functions held almost every day.   

Open Day, held in conjunction with History week on the 18th May, was something of a non event.  We almost had more volunteers than visitors.  Entry donations and tea &  coffee raised almost $150.00, with sales of memorabilia and soft drinks showing a profit of  approx. $55.00.




Sincere thanks to all members who assisted during the month. 

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083



Elees Pick

Web site
Society badge



Bar divider





Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2008  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea