As a result of being interstate I was unfortunately unable to attend the Society’s November general meeting. Geoff Rawson once again stepped in and chaired the meeting in my absence. I understand that the meeting was well attended and the guest speaker, as usual was very interesting. Many thanks Geoff for your efforts.

I would like to take a few moments to comment on the recent celebrations of 150 years of policing at Kapunda. held on Saturday 27 October and to thank all those involved for making the occasion an outstanding success. The celebration of the 150th anniversary of policing at Kapunda was commemorated with the unveiling of a ‘Police Heritage' plaque near the site of the first Kapunda Police Station. The activity arose from outstanding foresight and work by Senior Constable Chester Geue in his capacity as chair of the Kapunda Tourism Committee and our committed members Bob Potts and Bill Rojas. The building of the cairn was a total community effort, with the plaque being unveiled by the Mayor of the Light Regional Council and myself.

Over 150 people attended the ceremony. This comprised of many members from the community of Kapunda. the current Officer in Charge and several former police officers from the Kapunda Police Station. the Assistant Commissioner of Northern Operations Service Graham Brown, the Acting Officer in Charge of Barossa-Yorke LSA Inspector Kvm Zander and a great number of Society members. The activity was a true partnership activity between the Society, the community of Kapunda and local police. I thank all those who attended and made the day the great success and in particular thank Chester Geue, Bob Potts and Bill Rojas for their personal commitment and endeavours.

With Christmas now rapidly approaching I look forward to seeing as many members and friends at our December 7 Christmas 'Champagne/Orange juice and chicken’ Christmas meeting at Thebarton Barracks.

Until then, kind regards

John White

James ALDER                                             Barry & Diana LUGG

Mark DOLLMAN & Son Martin                   John MINAGALL

Raymond and Maureen FREEMAN               Mike NEVILLE (Michigan U.S.A.)


 ...we welcome you


Friday, December the 7~h 2001.

Our next general meeting, to be held on Friday the 7th of December, 2001 at 8.00 p.m., will be
our traditional Christmas ‘Chicken and Champagne Supper’.



Buttered bread rolls

Potato salad


Tossed green salad

German coffee cake


Orange Juice

Tea and Coffee

Members and friends are advised that the cost for the supper will be $ 2.00 per head payable to Treasurer ‘Tony’ at the beginning of the evening.

Members are reminded that they do not have to bring a basket supper for this evening.

** * *** ************* ** ** * * * **



This photograph taken in about 1965 shows the first purpose-built police station which was erected and still stands at 6 Chapel Street, Kapunda. Built in 1857 of local stone with a slate roof, it consisted of a constable's room, kitchen. entry porch, internal cell. and integral court room. While considerable additions and alterations were made over the years, much of the original building is still visible, and in use as a residence. It was used as the police station and residence until into the 1940s/1950’s when the police office was moved into two rooms on the eastern side of the adjacent courthouse which had been built in 1866. These buildings, which are recorded on the State Heritage Register and on the Register of the National Estate, were replaced for police and court purposes by a new purpose-built police station with integral court room in Main Street, Kapunda in 1961.

Written by Bob Potts. The author accepts responsibility for any comments and views expressed in this article.

On 27”’ May, 1995 an article appeared in the Melbourne ‘Herald-Sun’ newspaper titled “Police Farewell’. It was subtitled “Russell Street said it all—police, the law, authority. Police reporter Greg Thorn looks at the end of an era, which spanned more than 130 years.”

Accompanied by a photograph of the former impressive art-deco styled Russell Street, Melbourne police headquarters, the article succinctly detailed the history and significance of the building and its site, with the text revolving on the comment that;

‘...for more than 130 years Russell Street was the symbolic heart of policing in Melbourne’.

The article went on to describe the history of the well-known Russell Street, Melbourne building, its character, use and traditions. It was at the time about to be replaced at another somewhat remote site by a
· . . .new home which will be clean, modern and boast the latest in modern technology and resources...

Little did I realize that this article could have been a harbinger of things to come in South Australia.

For just as the Russell Street police headquarters had provided a highly recognized and readily accessed police facility, with many inter-related police functions on one ‘traditional’ police headquarters site, so too the former South Australian police H/Q site at No. 1 Angas Street, Adelaide had for many years provided the same or similar facilities.

And now, just 6 years later we find that “Number One Angas Street” the well known, highly recognized and readily accessed police facility is no longer the ‘home of policing’ in S.A. Although strictly not located at No 1 Angas Street, the location earned that recognized title when the police headquarters and functions were located in the Adelaide Magistrate's Court building on the corner of Angas Street and King William Street. When the new purpose-built police station/headquarters building was erected as recently as 1965 east of and adjacent to the court building, the title of ‘Number One Angas Street’ which was so well known to police and public alike went with it.

The former No. 1 Angas Street building is being replaced by a number of somewhat unrelated sites in the
City of Adelaide, none of which has any apparent relation to the background and traditions of policing in
S.A., nor arguably to the efficiencies brought about by factors such as proximity of policing units, ease of
public access etc.

It is interesting to use the Herald-Sun article as a template for comparison of the S.A. experience with that in Melbourne.

Melbourne  : ‘Whether it be the familiar site of the D24 radio tower high above the distinctive art deco Building    to Melburnians, Russell Street is synonymous with the word police’

The precinct of 1 Angas Street with its adjacent Magistrate's Court building, and the 1965 building with 4 radio towers was also synonymous with police. It had been the location of the ‘public face’ of policing since 1891, i.e. for 110 years, which is a very long time in the history of S.A. Generations of Adelaide people got to know and trust that this was the place where the police were always to be found, where for many years all the major police functions were, where help could always be obtained, crimes investigated, and where prisoners were held etc. This knowledge was passed from one generation to the next.

Melbourne ‘Though the block is dominated by the distinctive main building erected in 1943, the police presence on the site dates to 1857, when a small bluestone building was constructed to house an enquiry counter and two offices’.

Adelaide Similarly the multi-storey building, although not as architecturally distinctive or interesting,
dominated the site from 1965-200 1, prior to its proposed demolition and replacement by a
large federal courts building. As mentioned above, the police presence in sections of the
court building site dates from 1891.

Melbourne ‘The site has been the location of nearly every significant change to the Victoria Police in its history, from the formation of the criminal investigation branch (CIB) in 1889, the revolutionary Wireless Patrol in the 1920’s and the arrival of D24 communications, which draws its name from the original room it was housed in corridor D, room 24’

Adelaide Yes, this happened also at No 1 Angas Street. Bicycle patrols, police motor ambulance ,CIB, women police, fingerprints, technical services, radio communications, breath analysis, and numerous other functions all saw their inception and developments in S.A. at this location.

Melbourne ‘In the old days with the promotion system, you always came and started your new rank here, then fanned out to the suburbs or country  so it’s a comfortable old place, synonymous with the word police, I suppose’.

Adelaide This would sound very familiar to many serving and former S.A. police personnel, who over the years started with the foot police in Adelaide, or maybe later at No 9 (City) Division at 1 Angas Street. The location provided the basis for the development of competent policing experience, and the encouragement of good traditions, as well as a bookshelf of wonderful stories!

Melbourne  ‘....for years, well into the 1970’s, police would parade in the courtyard, now a carpark, before shills 

Adelaide Numbers of police personnel assembled at No. 1 Angas Street for shift deployment to various areas, and parades were held before and after shifts in buildings varying from metal sheds with partly dirt floors, to the later specifically purpose-built parade rooms.

It was from No. 1 Angas Street that detachments of foot police marched to their beats; bicycle patrols rode; mobile patrols ‘proceeded’ to patrol areas in the city and suburbs; investigators walked to various city offices on enquiries (or caught trams if they had a tram pass!); and large contingents ‘sallied forth’ to deal with major street disorder.

It was from here that personnel transferred to suburban or country police duty; interstate to perform interchange or extradition duty; to the adjacent courts to prosecute, provide evidence, or maintain decorum; or to the mortuary to assist with the admission of bodies!

Yes, the police location at No. 1 Angas Street was the recognised ‘home of policing’, not only for the public, but especially for many thousands of police personnel who passed through it over its more than 110 years of history.

Yet in today’s climate of economic rationalism and ‘bottom-line decision -making, such identification, relationship and fine-traditions, well known as a vital basis of effective policing, can be readily sacrificed by modem government. We have seen it recently in the sale of the former very historic 1846 Robe court house and police station, and the imminent demolition of the very significant Glenelg court house and police station building, situated on the site of the original 1865 police station.. . the second police station in metropolitan Adelaide.

Although rightly hailed at the time as a great advance over the disparate mix of over-crowded run-down accommodation that it replaced in 1965, the architectural style and difficulty of maintenance, together with an apparent desire to provide buildings in keeping with a vision of a ‘greater Victoria Square’, have sounded the death knell for policing on the traditional site at No. 1 Angas Street. In a recent article on the 'changing face’ of Adelaide published in The Advertiser, (11/10/2001) respected commentator Rex Jory remarked that:

Only 300m to the south, the old police headquarters in Angas St. has been all but
demolished. No one was silly enough to put a heritage plaque on what could hardly be described as an architectural triumph. It is to be replaced by a new Federal Government court complex’.

With little doubt few xviii lament the passing of the structure initially used as the police headquarters building, and later to become termed the Adelaide Police Station building’. What will probably be lamented by many is the fact that the location that could almost be viewed as a 'sacred site’ of policing in South Australia, is being abandoned with hardly a whisper or comment.

Just another forward step on the broad road of progress? I wonder!


by R. E. Kilimier.

Thomas Francis Hannon was born on the 19th November, 1877, His parents lived in County Clare in West Ireland. Following the Irish famine, they emigrated to South Australia, arriving here c.1850.

The family lived in Henry Street, Stepney. Thomas was educated at Christian Brothers College in Wakefield Street, and passed his Junior and Senior Public examinations. Following school he was apprenticed to a boot maker, but subsequently became a skilled carpenter. In 1903 he joined the South Australia Police as a Foot Constable. He was then 26 years of age.

After his marriage he lived for some time in the city, but about 1911 he moved to Grant Avenue, Rose Park. This appears to have been a popular location for police to reside as two of his colleagues, Inspector Howie and Sergeant Keane lived on either side of his residence.

As a young man he played football and was keenly interested in rifle shooting. In 1921 he became Captain of the Police Rifle Team, and various medals testify to his skill in this sport. In 1905 he was awarded First Prize in the annual First Aid Demonstration for skill at triangular bandaging.

He subsequently passed the examinations for 3rd and First Grade Sergeant. On 1st July 1922, he was promoted from Sergeant to Sub-Inspector, his commission being granted by His Excellency, Sir George Tom Molesworth Bridges. On 1st July 1923 he was promoted to Inspector Third Class in the Foot Branch. A further promotion to Inspector Second Class followed on 1st July 1925. His final promotion to Inspector First Class occurred on 1st July. 1929

This last rank was one below that of Superintendent, which at that time was the senior rank below that of Commissioner. He would probably have achieved Superintendent rank but for his untimely death from lung cancer at the age of 53 years in 1921. The following tribute was paid to him in the May 22 issue of the Police Journal.

After an illness which lasted for three months, Inspector Thomas Francis Hannon of the South Australian Police Force died on Friday, 15 May 1931. He was 53 years of age and had been associated with the Police Force for 28 years.

Inspector Hannon was born in Adelaide and was educated at Christian Brothers College. Rifle shooting and football were his favourite sports and in later years he became an enthusiastic member of the Police Rifle Club. He joined the Service in 1903 and was attached to the Adelaide district throughout his career. After two years of uniform duty he was transferred to the Licensing Department. and in 1915 was promoted to the rank of Senior Constable. His hard work and ability did not pass unnoticed and shortly after he was appointed Sergeant Instructor in charge of the Plain Clothes Branch. In 1922 he was promoted to the rank of Sub-lnspector, and quickly passed throuqh the decades of Third and Second Class Inspector. until finally he reached the position he occupied at the time of his death. He leaves a widow, two sons and two daughters.

The Commissioner of Police (Brigadier-General R. L. Leane) paid a tribute to the memory of Inspector Hannon. He was held in high esteem by both members of the Force and the public.’ said the Commissioner. His loss will be felt keenly.
The passing of this vaLued officer has robbed the Service of a man of outstanding ability, and the community of a servant of the highest standing. The whole of the late Inspector’s service was in the Metropolitan Division. He was in every sense an officer, but always discharged the duties attached to that office with consideration for the feelings of those who served under him. It would be no exaggeration to say that he was the most efficient and respected officer in the Police Service. For confirmation of this look at the numbers that attended the voluntary parade to pay him their last respects. This should be an object lesson to those who follow. The duties of an Inspector can be carried out without losing the respect and confidence of the rank and file, as demonstrated by the late Inspector in no uncertain manner. We regret the passing of such a valued officer, but trust that his lead will be an inspiration for those who follow. To the widow and family we extend our deepest sympathy.

The funeral of the late Inspector was one of the largest and most impressive ever held in the State” (End of quote).

Inspector Hannon was obviously an exceptional officer. His public service was emulated by his son, Lieutenant Colonel (Dr.) Dennis F. Hannon, R.A.A.M.C. (b.11-5-1919) who after wartime service, practised as a doctor at Gawler and Adelaide until retiring at the age of 78. Sadly he died on 22~ August, 2001, at the age of 82 years. He was well known to a number of former police officers, including this writer and was personal physician for many years to Dame Roma Mitchell, a former State governor.

From The Murray Pioneer
October 18,1991
10 years
TEDDY BEARS A GOOD POLICE WEAPON: The Renmark Police Station recently took delivery of six teddy bears as part of the South Australian Police Department's Child Comfort program. The program has been established to help break down the barrier between police officers and children by offering them some comfort in distressing situations.  Renmark police officer Constable Margaret Acton said there were many times when police had to comfort children, who had been caught up in. a road  accident or were caught in domestic violence  disputes.
From The Murray Pioneer
October, 1926
75 years
UNREGISTERED DOGS: There was no amusement at the Renmark Police Court on Tuesday when Earnest Edward Jarrett, J.P, registrar of dogs for the Renmark Town Council, charged himself with contravening section nine of the Dog Act, and was fined. He was charged for failing to register his dog.   When asked if he required time to find the money, he said, “Yes, until I can get home for my cheque book”.


Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend
© 2000  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea