Police banner
Society Banner



Hue and Cry heading


Society Badge                   

               INSIDE THIS ISSUE

Click Here
Front Cover
President's Page
Blast From the Past
New Members
Volunteers in Action
Next Month's Meeting

Star force
helicopter rescue


   Kevin Beare

By the time this edition arrives President Geoff and his wife Heather will be back with us from their well earned rest in the U.K.

  As most of you are aware, October has been a fairly busy month for the Society with members putting in many hours of overtime.  Just a well the wages side is not an issue, because if you thought October was busy sit down before you check November’s Programme.   Most of us will be really looking forward to the Christmas/New Year break.

Information on our Volunteers’ activities for the month  is on Page 12 of this edition.

Wednesday the 19th November is going to be one of our busiest days for some time.  As a result of a request from the Department of Premiers Cabinet, the Commissioner has committed SAPOL to presenting a corporate display on that day between 1100 hours & 1300 hours at Thebarton Police Barracks.  Numerous SAPOL squad will be in attendance & we have been included with   vehicles, museum tours, morning teas etc.., so we will need quite a few volunteers on the day. 

Unfortunately, because it is going to be a ‘large event’ no vehicle parking will be permitted inside the barracks    confines.  All display sites are to be ready by 1030 hours.            Any assistance would be greatly  appreciated.

The Society’s Christmas Party is once again fairly heavily booked

I must take this opportunity of thanking Elees Pick, Kate Woodcock, Bob Boscence & all those other for their      assistance during this last month.  Elees has been on the sick list during part of October & it’s great to have her back on deck again &, I must add, as usual working flat out.

The badge room has been repainted and re-vamped.  However, there are still a few additions to be done and, all being well it should be completed within the next couple of  weeks. 

You will hardly recognise it after completion.

A new diorama depicting the 1850’s Gold Escort has now been completed & will be displayed in the Museum shortly. (see photos below)

Once again thanks to everyone for your dedication & assistance this month.

I look forward to seeing you all at our Christmas celebration at the Police Club on Saturday 6th December.

Kevin Beare

Acting President.



 Gold1            gold2

Gold 3               Gold5


The Melancholy story of the First hanging in
South Australia
By the late Jean Schmaal


Less than a month after Governor Hindmarsh read the proclamation at Holdfast Bay on 28th December 1836 it was becoming evident that some form of police protection would be needed in the new colony.  By 1838 the influx of escaped ‘lags’ from Tasmania was so great, & Adelaide was reduced to such lawlessness, that an efficient police force was demanded.
Complaints rose high against the depredations of the ‘armed banditry’ which nightly sallied forth on the town; peace officers had to be appointed to control the roystering Buffalo marines, the nominal guardians of the law.  Zealous in his pursuit  of escaped convicts, ‘ticket-of-leave men’ & their kind, who terrorised whole neighbourhoods,  Sheriff Smart was marked down for death & subsequently murderously attacked in his hut by three ‘Vandemonians’. On 2nd May 1838, the  frightful finale of the story was played out & old  records leave nothing to the imagination when they describe how Michael Magee gained the doubtful  honour of being the first man to be hanged in South Australia.

Magee was an Irish Catholic of about 24 years of age who had been found guilty on the clearest evident of forcibly  entering the sitting room of Samuel Smart, Esq., the Sheriff of the Colony, & maliciously shooting at him in an attempt to kill etc.  And, although the prisoner had failed in his object, the bullet having merely grazed Mr. Smart’s ear, & done him providentially no further injury than a few blue gunpowder marks on his left cheek, the Judge (His Honour Judge Jickling) after expatiating on the enormity of the offence in the most feeling & eloquent manner, proceeded to pass the awful sentence of the law, hoping that it was the only atonement which the prisoner could now offer to the outraged laws of his country.  The Judge implored the prisoner not to entertain the slightest hope of mercy of mitigation, but recommended to him to make the most of his short time on earth in imploring forgiveness of his offended Maker.  The usual   impressive sentence was then passed upon Magee, that he be hanged by the neck till he was dead & may the Lord, for Christ’s sake, have mercy on his soul.

  The prisoner was then escorted back to the temporary gaol and as the crowded court dispersed to their respective homes, everyone was talking of the coming execution.  I must do the good people of Adelaide the justice to say that in their hearts they lamented the necessity of such an awful & severe example, but the frequency & enormity of several recent events against the peace of Colonial society had arrived at such an alarming pitch that His Excellency the  Governor, after a very judicious exercise of the royal   prerogative in favour of other prisoners, could see no reason to interfere in the case of Magee, and it was ordered that the law should take its course.

  The Judge therefore signed the death warrant as is customary in similar cases, addressing it to the Sheriff, in which  execution was ordered to be done on the body of Michael Magee on the following Wednesday, 2nd May, 1838, six days only from passing sentence.
  In the absence of any clergyman of the Romish Church, the convicted made application to be allowed the attendance of a respectable tradesman of that persuasion occasionally, while he was in gaol, and, as he was thought not ill adapted to afford Magee the usual consolations of religion, the authorities immediately complied with his request.

  But it was not as easy a matter to find an executioner as it was a priest and, to the honour of Adelaide, be it spoken that this difficulty became every hour of a more serious & pressing urgency.  Who was to be Jack Ketch? Was the first question in the morning and the last at night.  Five pounds were offered—and then ten pounds, so the report spread but it was all in vain; for, though sensible of the benefits that would accrue to society by the extreme example that was  going to be made, yet no man would accept the proffered reward, & one & all spurned with an honest & virtuous indignation any amount of remuneration he could possible be offered for the detestable office. 

This difficulty, of course, as Wednesday approached was getting greater & greater.  What was to be done?  One suggested that it should have been made a  condition in commuting the sentence of Magee’s companion in crime, one Morgan, that he should act as executioner; while some suggested this plan, & some the other.  At all events, it was agreed on all hands that it would be seemly or decorous for the sheriff himself to perform the melancholy  office,  because it was he who had been fired at, & to atone for which it was that an executioner was required.

Of course these were merely rumours, but it will probably never be known who the individual was who hanged the first capital convict in South  Australia. 
  Wednesday morning had now arrived & nearly the whole population of the Colony was on the move by an early hour.  At least one thousand persons (& half of them females) were seen hastening to a wide spread gum tree on the north band of the little brook that gurgles in the ravine y-clept Torrens, close to the iron stores of the Colonisation Commissioners, to see the ceremony.  It was the only suitable tree on   Government land adjacent to the town, & was selected as being furnished with a large &  projecting horizontal bough, that will be long remembered on the left-hand road from the port to the town.   
(at about the site of the current Adelaide Oval Car Park)
At 9 o’clock the procession was discovered coming through the trees—there were about ten of the newly mounted police, besides the sixteen marines, forming the whole of the military force of the colony; & then followed a common cart, drawn by two horses, one before the other, in which was sitting the culprit on a common deal coffin with his arms loosely tied behind him.  With him was sitting on the coffin a man in a horrid mask, grotesquely daubed beneath the eyes with white paint, having one hump on his back &  another on his breast, & so fearfully disfigured that he seemed like the Impt Erebus ready for his prey, whiles all the spectators seemed to feel the thrill of horror creeping through their veins.  It was a moment of the most intense & exciting  interest—many wished they had not come—& as the procession advanced, the well-known service for the burial of the dead was heard from the mouth of that excellent man Rev. Mr. Howard, the Colonial Chaplain, bringing up the rear—’I am the     resurrection & the life’ - and all hats were instinctively off in an instant on hearing the   solemn sounds.  The  police on horseback with their drawn cutlasses, and the detachment of marines with fixed bayonets, now drew in line with the cart to a temporary enclosure  (something like a sheep pen) underneath the tree, surrounding the prisoner, while the hempen noose was dangling from a bough on which the law had destined him to die.  His nerve was truly astonishing; he behaved with virtue & coolness deserving of a better fate & appeared the only person unflurried in the crowd.

While the last finisher of the law was busied in   adjusting the rope & greasing it up & down with his filthy fist, Magee    addressed the sheriff & the assembled multitude in a firm & audible voice, confessing the crime of which the jury had found him guilty, & admitting the justice of his sentence for which he was about to suffer; he added that the evidence which had been so industriously sought against him & brought forward at the trial attempting to prove that he was a runaway convict from the other colonies was as false as God was true.

As soon as the cap had been drawn over his face & the prayers were concluded a motion was made that all was ready & with a whip or two of the leading horse, the cart was drawn away—& many shut their eyes—whilst the poor sufferer was launched into eternity, & here commenced on of the most frightful & appalling sights that never perhaps will again be witnessed in the Colony.  The noose had been so badly managed that the knot, instead of the ear, came right under the chin of the  dying man, & as the cart was very slowly drawn from under him he did not fall, but merely slid gradually off; and there he was hanging in the air, uttering the most excruciating cries; God! Oh Christ! Save me!’  & to make it worse he had been so badly pinioned that he got both hands on the rope above his head, preventing his choking and to ease the strain on his neck.

What was to be done? Jack Ketch was gone—where was he? He had been seen galloping off amid the hooting of the people, on a horse that had been previously provided for the purpose, immediately the cart was drawn away. ’Fetch him back’ was vociferated by the crowd, & one of the mounted police was   despatched after him at full gallop.  All this while the poor hanging man was uttering the most piercing cries that might have been heard a quarter-of-a-mile away. ‘Lord save me! Christ have mercy upon me! & nobody knew what to do. 


Some, compassionating his sufferings, cried “Cut him down!’ whilst others, with a different kind of commiseration, urged the marines to shoot him with their muskets & put an end to his misery, whilst the poor wretch was making the most powerful efforts with his hand up the rope to prevent his suffocation.  It was a horrid sight to witness the twisting rope & the man turning round & around like a joint of meat before the fire—whilst women were fainting a the sheriff  attempted to address the multitude amide fierce cries of ‘Shame! Shame!’  Jack Ketch was now seen  riding back in his diabolical disguise with the policeman at his side & amid one universal shriek of execration, the horrid monster began his work of death.  At one bound he  made a fiendish leap upon the body of the dying man, & all was comparatively hushed, - the strong man’s hand could cling no longer to the tope & his  agonising cries were heard no more.
  We left the executioner hanging on by the legs of the dying culprit who, after a lapse of thirteen  minutes by the watch, was still alive, for now & then there was still heard faint murmurs, & the body even yet exerted some strong contortions—but it was enough.  The crowd was soon dispersing here & there, amid a pensive silence, through the forest, all hearts sickened & sad at the  melancholy spectacle, & all of them having ingrained in their memories to their own dying day, the first execution in South Australia.    


The following article, which appeared in the “Murray Pioneer”
dated 24th June, 1983, comes to us from member Val Harvey


A group of Renmark men heading north on a recent fishing expedition netted what could be a significant historical find for the State.
Camping on a riverbank near Robert O’Hara Burke’s grave on the Cooper Creek, the group inadvertently unearthed what they believe could be Burke’s muzzle loading percussion pistol.
The pistol was discovered by Renmark electrician, Trevor McCarthur when trying out for the first time the metal detector he had brought along on the trip.   According to another member of the group, Des Young, all were “pretty excited when they saw what Trevor had discovered.
  Familiar with the story of Burke & Will’s ill fated expedition they realised the possible significance of the find almost immediately.   The oxidised, sand encrusted pistol was found buried in about 30 to 45 cm of sand near Burke's grave, Mr. Young said.
  It is now being positively identified in Adelaide in view of the popular story of Burke’s final hours. 
It is believed Wills left him dying of malnutrition and exhaustion at the site in 1861, with a loaded pistol to use if his pain became too great.
  Mr. Young said they strongly believed their pistol to be that which was left near the dying Burke more than a century before.   And following their discovery “the batteries on the metal detector were fairly well flattened” as they searched the surrounding area for further items.
  Other members of the expedition were Bob Tankard, Joe Stone, Maurie Gelly, Clyde Leach, Grant Brine and John Dyer of Renmark, and Bobby Robertson of Mildura.

  But more research was needed into the discovery, perhaps they most significant since the bodies of the two expedition leaders were discovered, and Adelaide man has claimed.
Mr. Dick Lang, of Highbury, said there were a number of contradictions which needed investigation before the find could be declared authentic.
  Mr. Lang, who contributed to Max Colwell’s “The Journey of Burke & Wills”, felt the group’s pistol was a “great find”.
 Only one man, King, was to survive the ill fated expedition which left Melbourne in 1860 to try to reach the Gulf of Carpentaria.
  Headed by Burke with William John Wills as second in command, the group reached the gulf on February 11, 1861.
  Returning to Cooper Creek, Gray one of the two other men on the expedition, died. Burke and Wills died near the end of June after having reached the creek. 


Snr. Constable Bruno Andt examines the       oxidised and sand encrusted pistol
The gun is being held for the           Department of Environment &  Planning

Reminiscences of Charles Hopkins.
Bravery & Tragedy.

At 7.30 am on the 24th September, 1957, passengers alighted from a Metropolitan Tramways Trust bus on Glen Osmond Road, when a man ran forward brandishing a .22 rifle.  A man who had disembarked from the bus rushed towards the man with the rifle and, as he did so, the rifle was discharged and he was hot in the chest.

  Despite this, he continued to grapple with the attacker.  Another man went to his aid, & endeavoured to disarm the assailant, but the rifle was again discharged, & the helper was shot in the stomach.  The gunman immediately left in a utility parked nearby.  The victims were taken by ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for treatment.

  The name of the victim who had been shot first was Karl Berg, a supervisor at City Bricks Ltd., & he was on his way to begin work there when the incident occurred.  He stated that his assailant was Bernard Zabinski, a Polish national, & that there had been a disagreement between them over a deliver of bricks, which were in short supply at the time.  Berg was lucky that the bullet did not damage any vital organ.

  An all patrol alert was made & Zabinski was eventually detained while driving his vehicle in Rose Park.
  The second victim was a Scottish migrant, William Bowering, a man forty years of age, who had recently arrived in South Australia.  He informed us that he had been employed in Scotland by an elderly lady ever since he had left school until he migrated & was paid two pounds a week & given board.  He added that the lady did not approve of his migrating, but she wished him well & they still corresponded.  He too was employed at the brick works.  His medical  condition was considered to be serious in the initial stages.

  When I spoke to Zabinski, he readily admitted his involvement & said that Berg had failed to meet a business commitment which he had made with him.  Zabinski appeared rational & said that he had thrown the rifle into the River Torrens from the University foot bridge.  He was a single man, thirty five years of age & had his own plumbing business.  He had been living in Australia for a number of years & had a good reputation with those who knew him, although we were told that the disagreement with Berg had changed him.

Until this time, it had been necessary to use grappling irons to recover property from rivers, lakes & other bodies of water.   However, this method was not reliable for the retrieval of weapons such as rifles,  because the prongs could not grip such  objects.  As it happened, we had just been informed that an Underwater Recovery Squad had been formed, so I asked if they could assist.  It was a co-incidence that this squad had received their diving suits & other gear that very day. They duly attended & the weapon was recovered. 

The offender was eventually charged with the offence of attempted murder.

It was the practice at the time for  offenders arrested for crimes of this nature to be referred to psychoanalysis before  appearing in court.  This was done, & the offender was deemed to be mentally  unstable &, therefore, unfit to stand trial.  He was detained in a mental institution.
  The two victims recovered from their  injuries & I mad a recommendation to the Royal Humane Society that William  Bowering be considered for an award for bravery for going to the aid of Berg &    endeavouring to disarm the offender.     Together with my recommendation, I sent a complete copy of the file to Mr. W.C. Veale, who was Town Clerk of the City of Adelaide & Chairman of the Royal Humane Society.  He was a stickler for detail &    returned the file on four occasions, each time asking for more information.  I was somewhat frustrated by this, so much so that I was beginning to question my initiative in making the recommendation.

 Several years went by, when one day my colleague, Detective Moran, & I were  visiting a number of hotels in Adelaide on what was called consorting patrol duty.  This duty was carried out in order to  identify known criminals & their associates.  The associates would be informed of  criminals’ reputations, & advised that, if they continued their association, they would be charged with associating with habitual criminals.  The purpose of these exercises was to prevent the innocent from becoming victims or worse. 

During the course of our rounds, we  visited the Earl of Zetland Hotel, on the corner of Gawler Place & Flinders Street, when a man approached us in a rather excited state.  At first I did not  recognise him; it was   William Bowering.  I had not spoken to him since he had been in hospital with his injuries.  He was quite elated & to my surprise produced his bravery medal, which had been awarded by the Royal Humane Society.  He obviously    treasured the award & carried it with him at all times.  This chance encounter gave me great   satisfaction in view of the fact that I had   persisted with my efforts in recommending him for an award & I finally appreciated the necessity for the close detail required by Mr. Veale.
  In the mid sixties I received a telephone call at my home, warning me that Bernard Zabinski had escaped from the mental institution, & it was thought that he might try to find me since I was responsible for his arrest.  However, nothing was heard about him until his body was discovered six months later in a thickly wooded area,  adjacent to the Mount Osmond Golf Course.  It was apparent that he had walked there  immediately after escaping & that he had hanged himself.  It was something of a surprise to me that the body had not been discovered earlier, because, in my experience, many golfers spend a good deal of their playing time searching for balls which have gone astray.

  Zabinski’s life ended in tragedy as a result of his own actions, triggered in part by mental  instability.  Although there could be no proof, it seemed possible that his experiences in his home country during World War II contributed.  During my term of service in the C.I.B. there were similar incidents involving migrants from war torn countries such as Poland.

A lesson for any Budding Police Officer
in supplying a good description.
$1,000 reward!

S.H. Hart alias Louis L. Kann, Louis Doscher, L.L. Cann, L. Hershmann or S.  Oppenheimer, is wanted for embezzling the sum of $30,000 while President of the State Bank, Buckley, Washington, U.S. America, in November last.  He is a German Jew, but    denies it; is about 47 years of age, but looks much younger; about 5ft 10 in. high, weight about 165 lbs., has long dark hair getting thin; worn pompadour, chin whiskers sprinkled with grey which may be now shaved off, wears no moustache ordinarily, has very small brown eyes and long eye brows, small pursed mouth, teeth well filled with gold showing prominently, one front tooth having gold band entirely around it; is very flat footed; one foot being “pigeon toed”; back of hands very hairy, keeps his  finger nails very clean and short, has very large wound on one of his wrists; he cannot look anyone direct in the eye and converses fluently and precisely with eyes directly on the ground; has a long swinging meditative walk, with slight stoop; wears plain gold band ring on small finger of left hand; may disguise as a Catholic Priest and wear nose glasses; usually wears black broad-cloth suit, stand up collar and tight fitting black tie.  He is liable to go into any kind of commercial business or trading, and to have one or more of his sons with him, in time, to act as bookkeepers,  cashiers, or to run branch stores.

  He is probably now accompanied by his son Frank Kann alias F.A. Dinsmore, who passes as his nephew, and acted as cashier of the bank of which his father was President.  This son is described as follows – about 5ft 4in high, pale countenance, dark hair and  moustache, left leg shorter than the other,  requiring a boot about 5 in deep or iron skeleton boot.

Has heavy eyelashes and prominent nose, takes an injection of morphia several times daily and chews tobacco extravagantly.  May assume the name of Boyd.  His wife, who probably accompanies him, is described as about 23 years old,. Dark and swarthy, with very heavy black eyebrows coming closely    together, thin features, very long and large hands, about 5ft 6in high, has a baby about 13 months old named Albert.

  The authorities of Pierce County,  Washington, U.S.A. offer the above reward for information leading to the  arrest of the absconding banker, S.H. Hart, and a liberal compensation will be paid by private parties.
  This offender is believed to be now in Western  Australia.  His likeness may be seen at the Detective Office, Perth, O.C. 1/94.

 Editor’s note:  “Crime Stoppers eat your heart out”. With a description like this who needs a photograph.  This wanted notice appeared in the January edition of the 1894 WA Police Gazette and could well be a classic for the Detective Training Manual.

   This article is re-printed with kind permission of The  W.A. Police Historical Society



Terry Natt, Ron & Lyn Monk.……… 



                  We Welcome you …….

Bar divider


Our thanks to Member Senior Sergeant Charlie Tredrea for this very informative article. Charlie


"The standard phonetic alphabet is included in the Radio Manual (1948) for use when desirable or necessary and its purpose is to provide a standard method of ensuring that words or phrases not otherwise clearly understood in transmission reach the desired destination with such clarity as to leave no room for doubt.”

"A”  for Andrew

‘‘B’’ for Benjamin

‘‘C’’ for Charles

‘‘D’’ for David       

“E’’ for Edward

‘‘F’’ for Frederick

‘‘G’’ for George

‘‘H’’ for Harry       

‘‘I’’ for Isaac


‘‘J’’ for Jack

“K” for King

‘‘L’’ for Lucy          

“M” for Mary

‘‘N’’ for Nellie

‘‘0’’ for Oliver

‘‘P’’ for Peter

‘‘Q’’ for Queenie

‘‘R’’ for Robert



‘‘S’’ for Sugar

‘‘T’’ for Tommy

‘‘U’’ for Uncle

‘‘V’’ for Victor

‘‘W’’ for William

“X” for X-ray

‘‘Y’’ for Yellow

“Z” for Zebra



SAPOL now use the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), (established on 4th April, 1949)  phonetic  alphabet and changed on 1st December,1959 by order of the Commissioner of police J.G. McKinna.


Other variations can be heard on radio from time to time such as “I” for Indigo, or in a recent practical radio exercise (June 2008) a cadet was over-heard to use the word ‘penguin’ to represent the letter P.

 Today we, along with all other emergency services use the following alphabet and number  pronunciations to avoid misunderstandings, and we still get to chuckle at the different interpretations.    However during  emergencies it is no laughing matter when messages over radio must be clear and concise with no ambiguities.

The (NATO) Phonetic Alphabet is a standard procedure for the transmission of difficult-to-pronounce words or place names.   The over use of the Phonetic Alphabet wastes air time on radio networks. 




A  =  AL-FA 

B =  BRAR-VO                    


D  =  DEL-TA                    

E  =  EC-HO                     

F  =  FOX-TROT                  

G  =  GOLF                                                            


H  =  HO-TEL                    

I  =  IN-DIA                   

J  =  JULIET                   

K  =  KILO                       

L  =  LIMA                     

M  =  MIKE                     



O  =  OS-CA

P  =  PA-PA


R  =  RO-ME-O


T  =  TAN-GO






X  =  X-RAY


Z  =  ZU-LU


This alphabet dates from about 1955 and is approved by the International Civil Aviation Organisation, the FAA and 
the International Telecommunication Union; note that  different bodies prefer different spellings, so one also 
can see: Alfa Juliett Juliette Oskar Viktor.
The alphabet above is also from the Cambridge Encyclopaedia of Language.   An alphabet with Alfa X-ray can also be found in 
The U.S. Department of Defence Dictionary of Military Terms.
Alfa Juliett X-ray, which is the ICAO version, appears in A Concise Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English and also a 
Langenscheidt dictionary.
There is one report of UK police using Indigo instead of India.   German army handbook 90/91: Alfa Foxtrott Juliett.   
Italian version: Alfa, Charly, FoxTrot, Giuliet, Romio, Wiskey.   An Indonesian phrase book: Beta Ultra Volvo Whisky X-ray.
A precursor of the present alphabet (1952?) had: Alfa Coca Metro Nectar Siera Union Whisky Extra.

SAPOL pronunciation of figures (numbers) to distinguish numerals from words with special emphasis in their              pronunciation is used:-



0  =  ZERO                     

1  =  WUN                        

2  =  TOO

3  =  THUH-REE                 

4  =  FOW-ER   

5  =  FIFE                                     


6  =  SIX

7  =  SEV-EN

8  =  ATE

9  =  NINER

10  =  WUN ZERO



Figures must be spoken slowly and with the correct pronunciation.  All figures, with the exception of  exact  multiples,  eg.  one  hundred or one thousand,  must be  spoken separately.

(ie. wun-zero = 10,   thuh-ree-zero = 30)

 Phonetics for digits (from an amateur radio FAQ):-  Zero; one; two; tree; fower; fife; six; seven; eight; niner. 
From the Cambridge Encyclopaedia of Language:-  Zero; wun; too; tree; fower; fife; six; seven; ait; niner
Atlantic City International Telecommunications Union convention 1947:

Nadazero     NAH-DAH-ZAY-ROH

Unaone       OO-NAH-WUN

Bissotwo     BEES-SOH-TOO

Terrathree   TAY-RAH-TREE

Kartefour    KAR-TAY-FOWER

Pantafive    PAN-TAH-
Soxisix      SOK-SEE-SIX
Setteseven   SAY-TAY-SEVEN 
Oktoeight    OK-TOH-AIT 
Novenine     NO-VAY-NINER 




The 24 hour time is used in RADIO as it dispenses  with the use of  a.m.  or  p.m.  and  thus  greater accuracy in  the transmission  is  obtained.   It  always  consists of four figures.   The  first  two   figures of the group represent the  hours,  and  the  second  two  figures  of  the group represent the number of minutes past  the hour.   The group is always followed  by the word 'hours'.


12.03 am.          -            0003 hours

1.17 am.          -              0117 hours

11.35 am.          -            1135 hours

1.15 pm.           -            1315 hours

9.00 p.m.          -             2100 hours

11.59 p.m.  -         2359 hours


If anyone has any further information about SAPOL’s use of alphabets please contact me at info@tredreacl.com .


October has been an exceptional month for our volunteers with a large number of outside visits.

On Friday 17th October Kevin Beare once again spoke to a captive audience of some 20  ladies from the Kilburn  Legacy Widows Group.






The Vehicle Team has been exceptionally busy and we sincerely thank Kevin   Johnson, Ernie McLeod, Mark Dollman, Max Griffiths ,Bob Boscence  & Holger Kruse for their dedication and untiring efforts on behalf of the Society. This month has been very hectic with Fort Glanville Open Day on Sunday 19th October, Mitcham Primary School’s   Children’s Safety  Celebrations on the 23rd., Brinkworth’s centenary  celebrations on the 25th, & the Sunnybrae Farm     Festival on the 26th. 

They also assisted, along with Helen & Bob Ward, with the Mount Pleasant Men’s Club Visit on Monday 20th October.

Our volunteers put a tremendous amount of time & energy into planning &  coordinating these events, often being up at the crack of dawn to head out to country areas or to bake the scones so much enjoyed by our visitors.  We thank each & everyone involved for their dedication & support.  

As mentioned in our Acting President’s Report we have been asked to assist  SAPOL on Wednesday 19th November with their corporate display as part of Public Sector Week. We have been advised that there could be as many as 300—400 people attending.  Security in our Museum Galleries will need to be of a premium, with not only tour guides but the physical presence of members on the ground.  Any assistance in that area or in serving of morning teas would be greatly          appreciated.

For the month of November we have 4 outside visits booked.  One Museum Tour on the 10th November, with 44 guests from the Canadian International Friendship Force joining us for morning tea.  The Vehicle Team are participating in 5 Community Christmas Pageants—at Tea Tree Gully, Christies Beach, Port Adelaide, Norwood & Glenelg. 

With one outside visit booked for December.

Everyone will be really looking forward to relaxing at our Christmas Dinner on the 6th December. 


Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083


Editor Elees Pick                          

Elees Pick

Web site
Society badge



Bar divider



Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2008  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea