INSIDE THIS ISSUE.
It was with great sadness that we learned of the passing of David Hunt, former Commissioner and former President, Patron and Life Member of our Society. As outlined in the short tribute (page 4), David was a great supporter and will be sadly missed. It was very clear from the large number of people who attended his State funeral that David was a man who was extremely well respected by a very broad section of the community. Our sincere sympathy to Joy and family.
As usual, Spring is a very busy season for members of the Society. We have been involved in a number of celebrations and events, ranging from National Police Remembrance Day, Children’s’ Safety Day and the Strathalbyn Show to numerous Christmas Pageants. Short articles and several photographs depicting our involvement in those events appear throughout this publication. Thank you to the hard-working volunteers who help promote the activities of the Society by organising and attending these events.
This publication is the last of our monthly ‘black and white’ editions. From next month we will move to a quarterly publication. The Executive has accepted an offer from the Police Credit Union to print and publish the new ‘Hue and Cry’ which will be produced in colour. The first of the new publications will be launched at the Christmas Dinner and the publications will then be produced in March, June, September and December. The Executive extends its appreciation to the Police Credit Union for supporting our Society through their generous sponsorship offer and we look forward to a long partnership.
Our guest speaker at the November meeting was Dianna Bartlett, Senior Police Chaplain.
Our monthly General Meeting in November marks the end of our regular meeting schedule. Our December Meeting will be our Christmas Dinner, we have a break for January and our February Meeting is our Annual General Meeting. It is therefore appropriate to ask you to consider nominating for either an executive position or a general committee member for the 2011 year. Nomination forms will be available shortly and if you are interested, please feel free to contact me and discuss your possible involvement.
David Alexander Hunt AO, C St J, Qpm, JP
1/7/1934 – 10/10/2010
Life member and former Patron of the Police Historical Society, David Hunt, will be remembered for his continuing support for the SA Police Historical Society Incorporated as well as his long police career spanning 43 years.
David joined SAPOL as a Cadet on 15/2/1954, promotions followed to Constable 1956, Senior Constable 1965, Sergeant 1970, Commissioned officer 1974 and continued through the senior ranks to Commissioner of Police 28/6/1983. He retired in 1996 after 43years of dedicated service. He received Mentions in 1954 and 1965. In 1970 he was involved in the preparation of legislation for sweeping changes to the Firearms Act, which was promulgated in 1977, tightening gun control and was involved in the computerised system facilitating the firearms registration and licensing function.
David was President of the Society from 1983 to 1987 and was awarded Life Membership in 1996. He always maintained contact with the Society and interest in its activities, although his busy working life as Commissioner prevented him from being involved in our day to day activities.
David was always ready to don his old clothes for a working bee for the Society after retirement and was happy to be one of the workers.
Our sincere sympathy to his wife Joy and his family.
Commissioner David Hunt as Museum Guide with children Mark
and Romana Borowicz—North Terrace.
David at PHS BBQ Picnic at Mitcham Reserve.
David (President), and Dot Pyatt (Vice President) with Black Maria before restoration.
THE HORSNELL BROTHERS.
GEORGE, ALF & WALLY.
THEY CAME FROM THE HILLS.
Compiled by Ken Horsnell - September 2008.
We must first describe the Ancestry which may give you an insight into the make up of these three brothers, George, Alf and Wally who made the decision to join the South Australian Police Force.
Their paternal Grandfather was John Horsnell who was a true Pioneer arriving in South Australia in 1839 allegedly for health reasons. John Horsnell was born in Essex, England in 1812, (supposedly one of 16 children). It was reported that John’s father had worked as a Rent Collector for the High Sherriff of Essex. John Horsnell and a younger brother farmed land, and unfortunately he (John) contracted tuberculosis from the elderly farm keeper and his wife who were Bee-keepers on the shared property. The farmer and his wife died in 1838. John married his first wife and they moved to Norfolk.
John’s doctor told him that he should get out of England for a less severe climate; they elected to go to New Zealand where two of his brothers (both veterans of Waterloo) had migrated.
Accordingly, they departed from Liverpool on the Lysander bound for the antipodes. Disaster struck — Smallpox broke out on board killing a number of the crew and many passengers, John’s wife being one of the casualties, was buried at sea.
The Captain of the ship (William Currie) then elected to sail to Port Misery (now known as Port Adelaide) where it is said the remaining crew walked off, leaving John Horsnell and others high and dry. John was kept in quarantine for a month or so as he had been mildly stricken. Whilst in quarantine the Colonial Surgeon of the day a Dr. Cotter removed his entire finger and toenails telling him that it was for the good of his health! Now that may well be the case. John, after his release from quarantine, took it upon himself to walk up to Adelaide (public transport was fairly scarce (and he only had 2/6d. to his name). He managed to get to the emerging city when he collapsed, faint and bleeding on the side of the track but was rescued by a James Cobbledick (a recent arrival from the U.K.)
James Cobbledick fortuitously knew Colonel Gawler, Governor of South Australia and introduced Horsnell to him.
Soon, John Horsnell had been appointed Coachman to Gawler. One of his very first tasks was to explore the creek systems of the Adelaide Hills. This particularly influenced John Horsnell toward buying property adjacent to Third Creek, more so as the main road to Melbourne from Adelaide was along Magill Road to the Old Coach Road (now Skye) to Ashton then to Summertown, Piccadilly, through to Stirling and the present road from these townships.
Whilst tending his orchard one day, he was gored by a Bull. He managed to get himself to a Doctor (next door neighbour being Dr. Christopher Rawson Penfold). Dr. Penfold after tending to Horsnell’s injuries employed John to plant some Grape Vines which he had brought to Australia from France. Penfold named it ‘The Grange Vineyard’, — the year was 1844.
Whilst working for Dr. Penfold John met Elizabeth Smyth who was the maid servant to Mrs. Penfold, assisting her with the making of medicines. John & Elizabeth married in 1847 at St. Johns of the Wilderness, now St. Johns Halifax Street, Adelaide.
George, Alf and Wally’s father was Henry Ernest (Harry) Horsnell, who was the youngest of the 14 children from John & Elizabeth Horsnell. Harry Horsnell married Alwine Klaffer at St. George’s in Magill 1898 and settled on his property in Horsnell’s Gully. Alwine’s family was from Silesia (Prussia).
Alwine’s brother Theodore Klaffer died of wounds in 1900, at Wynberg South Africa during the Boer War. He served in Vt. S.A. Mounted Rifles Contingent, and was promoted to Corporal, his service number was 10.
Another brother Christian Carl Klaffer served in WW1 in Battalion, wounded at Gallipoli, won various war medals, celebrated his 5Oth.birthday in the trenches of France and was also a Police Constable.
A nephew of Alwine — Captain Otto Sigel joined the Kings Royal Rifles and was killed in action at Flanders, France during WWI.
This then was the heritage of the Horsnell men. The eldest Horsnell brother John was in Palestine at the end of hostilities. George had enlisted (he had to wait until he turned 16), but was still in camp training and missed out. He never really got over not being required then, and subsequently at the outbreak of WW2, he was too old.
When their brother John returned home after WWI, he set the tone for his brothers. He was a skilled person with his hands and became a carpenter at the recently created Kelvinator Refrigeration Company. George and Alf were told to join the Public Service —“there is no living for any of you on this property.”
Alf HORSNELL, back row, in corner during the ‘Sundown Murder’ Investigation 1959.
Alf Horsnell (b1904) was the first to join the Police Force in 1/8/1925 as a Probationary Mounted Constable. Alf’s first ‘incident’ occurred in 1926 when it was discovered that he was a sleep walker! It was reported that he was asleep at the North Terrace Barracks and for some unknown reason he started ‘sleep walking’. In fact he actually attacked another police constable Lucas (who was asleep at the time) with a sword. M.C. Lucas ended up in hospital with cuts to his breast, arm, and fingers, suffering a fracture of his right leg a few inches above the ankle, which required he stay in hospital for about 3 weeks. Alf (during this attack) was restrained by other Officers who heard the calls for for assistance from M.C. Lucas. During the restraint Alf woke up and was shocked at what he had done. Fortunately the sword was blunt!
Much of his early years were spent in Country Stations as a Mounted Constable at Kingscote, Morgan, Kimba, Mannum, Renmark, Summertown, Cleve and Auburn — thus we didn’t see a lot of him.
Alf Horsnell married Muriel Emily Williams on l9th.January 1929, and produced four children Pauline, Margaret, Ruth and Alfred.
My first recollection of Alf was when he came to Summertown in the mid 1930’sand he had a reputation of being a tough law enforcer.
One story concerns illegal parking on the wrong side of the road outside the local store. Everyone did it, but it was slack and Alf decided to uphold the letter of the Law. He had therefore issued stickers (blisters) to the various offenders to be attended to at the Court of Summary Jurisdiction. On the appointed day the Magistrate drove up and parked illegally. As Alf presented the list to the Magistrate he said “You can add your name too (name supplied) “No favours here”.
It was also claimed that he would drink with you until 6p.m. and book you for drinking after hours at 6.05 p.m., but no one was ever able to substantiate this.
From Summertown after 5 years, Alf was transferred to Cleve on Eyre Peninsula, mid June 1938, from there back to the Adelaide Watch House at the end of August 1939.
It is said that Alf ‘joined up’ in the Army the day that WW2 broke out 3/9/1939. Certainly his war record rates him a 39er and his service number was SXIO91 but his
Police service record states last day of service as 19/1/1940.
Alf’s Army career (provost) 9th Division took off with gusto and enthusiasm; indeed he served over seas in Palestine rising to the rank of Captain. He returned to civilian life as a Mounted Constable June 1946 serving for a few months at the Barracks. He then transferred to Auburn, Adelaide and Unley as a Foot Constable. However, it was his appointment as Assistant Coroner’s Constable that Alf really came of age. He took to the rather grisly business of post mortems and procedures with equinity and calm demeanour. His ability to cooperate with the Coroners Messrs Dwyer and Cleland together with the fraternity of undertakers had to be seen to be believed. Tales of his macabre handling of this delicate task were legendary, both for his great efficiency and the apparent nonchalance of this vocation. The standard time for an officer was not ever more than 6 months in this position. Alf did 16 years.
Some years after his retirement, he went on to explain his 16 years in the coroner’s office to say that he had wanted to pull the plug on the job just as Brigadier J.G .McKinna was made Commissioner of Police, and was called into his office and requested I stay on saying that at least there was one department he could depend upon. “What could I say — I gave my word as an Officer and a Gentleman and a Mason (they were both members of the United Service Masonic Lodge) that I would continue for as long as he required me”. This Alf did until his retirement 30/06/1964 — 39 years in the force (including 4 years in the services). Alf also received (2) Honourable Mentions 1926 & 1932.
Henry George Horsnell (b1902) my father, was the next brother to join the S.A. Police Force in 1928 at 26 years of age. Although almost 2 years older than Alf, he, George, still clung to the belief that his father Harry would relent and let him work the orchard & dairy farm. Apples, plums, pears, quinces, and cherries (the first to ripen each season) came out of Horsnell’s Gully. A bit of hard work and wise husbandry would have transformed the neglected property from that aspect into a thriving concern.
Group of footmen—Old City Watch House 1946.
Front row from left.
Alfred Cottell, George HORSNELL, Cyril Wyatt, Ted Spiers, Andy Considine, Perc Lindsay,
F.C. (Wangi) Warren, Len White, Frank Sharman.
F.C. Cain, Bill Teague, John Johnson, Alwyn (Joe) Kluge, Cyril Rainsford, Jack Dempsay,
Herman (Hary) Charles Bubner, Roy Elliott, Angas Alexander.
F.C. Robinson, Bill Norley, Andy Dempsey, Allan Woorupt, J.A. (Alec) Robinson Ted Lloyd, Nelson Gladstone, Vickers Laing.
Ivor Claxton, Doug (Gunner) Nation, Jack More, Jim Webber, Bill Dinan, Alex (Jock) Radcliffe, Dick Horne, Frank Mayne.
George, not to be outdone in pig-headedness, accepted an offer from a cousin Andrew Murdoch to share farm at his property south of Warooka, Yorke Peninsula. He did so with some vigour assisting at the same time Western United Football Club winning the 1927 Southern Yorke Peninsula Premiership.
More about this story next Month
South Australian Newspapers.
Over the years the Hue and Cry has reproduced several articles relating to the history of Police and Law and Order from different South Australian newspapers. In many cases Newspapers of the day are all that is left to record our history.
Here we explain what newspapers have been printed in South Australia and when they were in production.
Chronicle - initially titled the South Australian Weekly Chronicle.
First issue Vol. 1, no. 1 (17 July 1858)
Last issue Vol. 118, no. 5593 (26 September 1975)
The Chronicle was founded by John Barrow at the time he established his daily Advertiser, in direct competition to the Observer newspaper, and with the same function of summarising news from its daily newspaper.
From the 1880s there was strong competition between the two newspaper syndicates, so that each copied any innovation introduced by the other. In October 1895 the Chronicle was the first major South Australian newspaper to print a photographic supplement - a single sheet of photographs, which the following week became an irregularly produced feature. From February 1902 a four-page photographic supplement covering a variety of local and overseas subjects appeared in every issue. These ceased in May 1944.
From 1914 the Chronicle focussed increasingly on country readers, becoming a primarily rural newspaper after the Second World War. It was much-loved by farmers across the State. The Chronicle women's pages under writers such as Eleanor Barbour and Mary Broughton were extremely popular for their mixture of domestic and historical articles.
Between January 1957 and July 1969 a separate 'South East' edition of the newspaper was published.
Observer - also titled the Adelaide Observer.
First issue Vol. 1, no. 1 (1 July 1843)
Last issue Vol. 87, pt. 1, no. 4574 (19 Feb. 1931)
Early newspaper proprietor, John Stephens, sent John Dickins to walk around the country districts of South Australia canvassing whether a weekly newspaper for the farmers would be popularly received. The response was an overwhelming yes, and the Adelaide Observer was founded. George Dehane, a well-known early printer, produced the newspaper from a mud hut in Morphett Street. Later Henry Hussey, another well-known early printer (and evangelical Christian) was the publisher. Hussey's published reminiscences provide an insight into early South Australia and the history of printing in the State.
By 1846 the Observer had a print run of 600 issues per week. Between 1852 and 1853 the newspaper was being delivered to the hundreds of South Australians living on the goldfields of Victoria during the great gold rush. A regular 'Messages to the diggings' column was printed in these years, containing such items as "Tobias Pearce - Your infant son died Oct 22nd …" (30 October 1852 p. 5a) Early issues of the newspaper give a particularly good coverage to South Australia's fledgling industries.
Although aimed at country readers, the newspaper did not initially contain more than brief snippets of country news, but aimed rather to provide summaries of Adelaide news for country readers - as covered in the daily Register. Following the publishing photographic supplements by its major competitor, the Chronicle, in 1895, the Observer began doing the same. From March 1902 these became a weekly feature, following the Observer's founding aims by focusing particularly on rural and agricultural subjects.
The Observer is the only South Australian newspaper in the nineteenth century to publish its own index. The index covers the period 1880-1908.
In 1931 the Observer was subsumed by its main competitor, the Chronicle as part of a take over by the Advertiser syndicate.
Register - title varies, original title: South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register; final title: Register News Pictorial.
First issue, vol. 1, no. 1 (June 1836)
Last issue, vol. 96, no. 27930 (20 Feb. 1931)
The Register was South Australia's first newspaper. The first issue was printed in London in June 1836, and a year later the second issue was printed in a rush hut in Hindley Street in what is now called Register Place.
Initially the newspaper was printed erratically, but became weekly in June 1838, and twice-weekly from February 1843. From 1 January 1850, it became a daily. (The newspaper had previously trialled daily printing between 22 December 1844 and 12 February 1845, before returning to twice-weekly.)
Although various competitors came and went, it was not until the 1870s that the Advertiser (founded in 1858) was to become a serious challenge to the monopoly of the Register. In 1857 the Register became South Australia's first newspaper syndicate, when a group of Adelaide gentlemen purchased the newspaper together with its weekly Observer. In 1869 the Journal was founded as the company's evening newspaper. (This later became the News.)
The Register is the primary source of information relating to every facet of the history of the establishment of South Australia as a British colony. It is the earliest and most complete source of shipping information for a period when, at its peak, 250 immigrants per week were arriving at Port Adelaide. (The Register shipping lists are indexed for 1846-1887. The newspaper pre-dates incomplete official lists, which do not begin until 1847.) It is also the only source of early South Australian legal history and court records. One hundred years of births, deaths, marriages, crime, building history, the establishment of towns and businesses, political and social comment are all contained within its pages.
The advent of the Great Depression in 1929 caused many newspapers to fold. At this time the Register became a largely pictorial paper. Finally the company was bought out by the Advertiser and closed down in February 1931.
The Adelaide News (established 1923), the last afternoon newspaper in Australia, closes on 27th March, 1992.
There are of course many other newspapers published in Adelaide and South Australia, but these here are the main newspapers we use for historical articles.
All information obtained from the State library of South Australia.
Front Page of Vol 1, No 2 (3 June 1837) of the South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register.
Mr Ben Jansen —
Welcome to the South Australian Police Historical Society.
There is no meeting in December due to the Christmas Dinner.
WALL OF REMEMBRANCE
We are missing photos for 12 dedicated sworn Police Officers who paid the supreme sacrifice by giving their own life whilst on duty preserving and protecting life and property for the public.
If you have a photograph or drawing or know someone who may be able to help with one, could you please advise Mrs. Kate Woodcock at the S.A. Police Historical Society Inc. This will enable us to add their photograph to our Wall of Remembrance
at the Historical Society, Thebarton.
Those photographs missing are :-
JOHN FORSAYTH 27.10.1852 ACCIDENT.
JAMES HIGGINS 31.05.1855 ACCIDENT.
WILLIAM REID 07.06.1861 ACCIDENT.
HENRY KEMP BROWN NIXON 15.10.1861 MURDERED
JOHN BARWICK PORTER 14.10.1880 ACCIDENT.
THOMAS CHARLESWORTH 22.02.1884 DROWNED.
JAMES NEWSOME NALTY 24.06.1884 ACCIDENT.
CHARLES BALLANTYNE McCULLAGH 25.07.1885 ACCIDENT.
JAMES MURRAY 19.06.1886 ASSAULTED.
ERIC WALTER JONES 24.04.1949 MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT.
BRIAN HUMPHREY HARVEY 23.07.1956 MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT.
CLIVE RICHARD TAYLOR 22.01.1957 MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT.
Kevin Bear preparing the ‘Remembrance Wall”.
The Unknown Man
(A suspicious death at Somerton Beach)
A book by G.M. Feltus
About the Book
On 30 November 1948, a middle aged stranger anived in Adelaide, presumably on a train from Melbourne. After tidying himself he purchased a one way ticket to the suburb of Henley Beach and deposited his suitcase in the Cloak room of the Railway station. Later that evening a well dressed man was seen lying on Somerton Beach with his head against the seawall. On the following morning the body of a male person was found dead in the same position. He had no identification and the tags had been removed from his dothing.
An autopsy revealed evidence that he may have died from an unidentified poison.
An unclaimed suitcase was later found in the Cloak room of the Railway Station. It was forensically linked to the deceased even though no identification was located. The tags had been removed from the items in the case except for three pieces of dothing. These had the names Kean, Keane and T Keane written on them.
Despite many viewings, extensive publicity and national and international investigations he was not identified. He was preserved in formalin and a cast was made of his bust for future identifications. He was eventually buried as ‘The Unknown Man’.
At a future inquest a small, tightly rolled piece of torn paper containing the words Tamam Shud was found in the fob pocket of the trousers worn at the time of his death. These words were identified to a copy of the Rubaiyat. Extensive media coverage caused the production of the actual book which had been thrown into an unlocked vehicle at Glenelg.
Written on the back of the book police found five lines of letters, and a telephone number that was traced to the home of a nurse who had recently moved to South Australia, and was living in close proximity to where the body and book was located. The media coined the phrase ‘code’ in respect to the letters and hence the spy theory came to the fore, as did the large numbers of would be code breakers. The code has not been cracked. Was he a spy?
The story finishes with a final twist. Also induded in the book are a number of appendices that provide additional information on relevant subjects. Enjoy your read and maybe, just maybe, you may be able to put it all together.
Post——> G.M. Feltus, P.O. Box 112, Greenacres, SA, 5086Copies of “The Unknown Man at $34.99 plus $7 postage & handling each (unless other arrangements are made).
Email —> firstname.lastname@example.org
Web —> www.theunknownman.com
POLICE REMEMBRANCE DAY AT BANROCK.
This is my second visit to Banrock, and again we witnessed a very moving ceremony to remember two police officers who drowned while crossing the River Murray in the execution of their duty in 1847. Corporal William Murray Wickham and Mounted Constable John Dunning Carter were unfortunately the first South Australian Police Officers to lose their lives on Duty.
About one hundred people attended including a small band, and we were made to feel very welcome.
Credit is due to Admin assistant Tania Cooper and Superintendent Ian Parrott from Berri who organised the ceremony. Morning tea was provided by the Riverland 4WD Club who were also instrumental in erecting the cairn in 1977.
Banrock 29/9/2010, Historical Society wreath on memorial cairn, centre top.
Two ‘old’ troopers of course 84 of 1962, Holger Kruse (L) and Bob Job.
Photographs by Ros Kruse.
LtoR—Tania Cooper (Administration Assistant, Berri Station Ceremony Organiser); Brevet Sergeant Mark Frankom (Morgan Police Station) and Constable Cate Williams from Berri Police Station.
On Monday 4th October 2010, Volunteers Kevin Johnson, Ernie McLeod, Max Griffiths, Dennis Irrgang, Ross Edwards and Di Lugg attended the Strathalbyn Agriculture Show. They took with them Historical Society vehicles including the Chrysler Royal, VN Commodore, BSA Solo Motor cycle and the Bedford Prison Van.
Sales of memorabilia raised $150.00 and the Chrysler Royal was used to convey the winners of the Miss Showgirl Competition in the Grand Parade around the arena.
The Strathalbyn Show Society also made a donation to the SA Police Historical Society.
Photographs by Di Lugg.
The “HUE & CRY” is Published by the
South Australian Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539