We mourn the passing of our inaugural President Wallace Byron BUDD, who passed away on 29th September and our thoughts go out to his relatives at this difficult time.

On 29th September I was privileged to present a wreath on behalf of the Society at the annual Police Remembrance Day at the Academy Fort Largs.  It was a very moving ceremony and very well attended with the largest crowd seen.

The sight of relatives moving up to the wall of remembrance has the same effect each year and brings home to all, the great loss that each family suffers.  Many society members attended.

My wife and I have returned from a 6 week trip around the world visiting America, Alaska, Canada, England, Italy and Singapore and I can still say with confidence, there’s no place like home.  This is still the best country in the world!

On Friday the 4th October 2003, about 30 members attended our monthly meeting at which the guest speaker was Margaret Zwech and her daughter Michelle, and her subject was the history of buttons.  The talk was most interesting and entertaining and the display of historic buttons was amazing. Dorothy Pyatt produced her hand made Dorset buttons which Margaret knew of but had never seen before.

Margaret was presented with a set of police buttons by Colin Beams, on behalf of the Society.  She was extremely impressed by the gift.

Rex Greig addressed members to inform them of our latest acquisition.  A BSA motorcycle, in near mint condition.  This will be attached to the sidecar purchased some time ago. We will publish a photo and more information on this machine in next months issue.

The Kapunda and Light Agriculture Society Parade and Show will be held on Saturday 1st November 2003.  The show commences at 10am and a bus will be leaving Thebarton Barracks at 8-30am for those who would like to attend.  Please advise us if you wish to use the bus as there is limited seating.  11 members have already reserved seats leaving 9 seats.

Next meeting will be held on the Friday the 7th of November 2003 and as there is no guest speaker available, I will give a talk about our trip to Alaska with video footage of some of the scenery and animals. I hope to see you there.

Geoff Rawson
Vice President



Police Ballet
For Charity Group of 7,  1949

L to R:  Dolph Termone, Glen Hazelwood, Allan Oxlade, Ron Jarvis, Brian Walsh, Len Whyatt
Front:  Peter Malpas and ballet instructor Patti Bawden


The writer of the following article, Mr. Tony Rudd, is a member of the Military Historical Society and an avid collector of Military Medals.  He came to us seeking information.
About 20 years ago he gave a talk to our Society on the following material

       Dorothy Pyatt
W Y L I E    N A T I O N



The final thirty-six years of Wylie Nation's life is certainly the most interesting and far more is known of his activities.  What he did from the end of July until early October is unclear but one suspects that he used the time to rest and let the memories of war fade from his mind. There was also the more serious problem of picking up the threads of his life and finding suitable work.

Some aspects of the military environment may have appealed to him or perhaps it was simply that the thought of indoor work had palled while he was away.  In any event, he applied to join the South Australian Police and was duly accepted.  So it was as Foot Constable No. 203 that Wylie Nation appeared on the streets of Adelaide on the 1st October, 1901.  He was nicknamed "the long fellow" because he was quite tall.

Not all successful careers have begun smoothly.  It was not long before Wylie earned the displeasure of officialdom when he failed to sweep the police library for which he was fined 2/6d. (25 cents).  In March, 1902 that was a substantial sum and the lesson was not forgotten as Wylie was never again punished for failure to do his duty.

Promotion through the ranks was notoriously slow in those days but Wylie must have felt himself sufficiently established to propose marriage by 1905.  On the 14th September of that year he married Mary Edith Mcculloch, who lived at Walkerville, a suburb north of Adelaide.  The Reverend Arthur M. Trengove celebrated the marriage at the Brighton Methodist Church.

Shortly afterwards, the newlyweds moved into their first home at number 130 Gouger Street, Adelaide which was not more than a brisk five minute walk from Police Headquarters.  The house was one of the few remaining in what has become a busy commercial area.  It was occupied as professional offices and a high brick wall had been built to give added privacy at the front.  A brief inspection showed it to be a modest cottage with rooms on either side of a central passage. As with the Nation family home, it was well maintained.

It was almost five years before Wylie was promoted to Second Class Constable but thereafter he progressed steadily through the ranks.  He was gifted with an extraordinary memory for faces and was often known to identify wanted criminals from among the crowds of people he passed while on foot patrol around Adelaide.  His favourite spot was the corner of King William and Grenfell Streets in the city where he often stood and watched. No doubt his talent for observation helped his career so that by July 1916 he had been appointed First Class Detective.  Police methods were more direct in those days and so on one occasion when Wylie found two men fighting in the main shopping area he pulled them apart with such force that they were hurled several metres in opposite directions.

Physical fitness is essential for police officers and Wylie Nation took his responsibilities seriously.  He was a prominent member of the Torrens Rowing Club and from 1905 to 1912 was a member of the South Australian State crew. He was also renown as a billiards player.

During the First World War Detective Nation was sent overseas with the Australian Army on special investigations. When he left Egypt for Scotland Yard, he received a special commendation from the chief officer of the Egyptian police for his thorough work.

   Back in Adelaide Wylie Nation was establishing an enviable reputation as a criminal investigator.  One of his most famous successes was the Worturpa murder which took place in 1921 some one hundred kilometres from Copley in the far north of South Australia.  After trailing camel tracks out in the desert to the remains of a fire, he sifted through the ashes and collected some charred bone fragments and a human tooth which he used as evidence to convict the accused man.  This case was the first successful prosecution for murder in South Australia where the body of the victim was not produced.  Small wonder Wylie was made Sergeant, First Grade in November, 1921.

   Other similar cases were brought to a satisfactory concussion and by July, 1925, Wylie had risen to be Inspector, Second Class.  It may have been about this time that he and his wife decided to move out of the city area. They purchased a home at 88 Rose Terrace, Wayville where they were to remain for the rest of their lives.  This home is still standing virtually unchanged from the day it was built.  The Nations chose well as the city tram was only a few minutes' walk from their front door and Wylie always caught the tram to work.

One of his biggest and most responsible investigations was the collecting of evidence for the Police Bribery Commission in 1926.  The work was highly confidential and obviously required both moral courage and determination to complete.  He also played a leading role in the suppression of illegal bookmakers about the time they were first required to be licensed and he personally led many raids on the haunts of known offenders.

In February, 1929, Wylie Nation was promoted to Inspector, First Class and placed in charge of the Criminal Investigation Branch of the South Australian Police.  His salary was increased to £525 ($1050) per annum plus t130 ($260) allowances for special services, clothing and equipment.  He was one of the most senior officers in the Police Force and respected widely for his firm but wise -and kind personality.

The Great Depression struck virtually everyone and Inspector Nation was no exception.  Along with his fellow officers he had his salary cut by 10% as part of the Government's austerity measures.  Perhaps the Nations would have been less affected than many, as they had no children to support, although there were probably numbers of less fortunate relatives to help.

Always an active man, Wylie Nation was a regular swimmer at the old Glenelg Baths in summer and he liked to sunbathe on the wooden deck on Sunday mornings.  He was a member of the Loyal Rose of Sharon Lodge, Grand United Order of Odd fellows which met at Parkside.  He was also active in the South African War Veterans' Association and the Returned Soldiers League (as it was then known).

A man of many interests, Wylie enjoyed a game of bridge and played twice a week for many years with his brother and sister-in-law.  Both Wylie and his wife took their cards very seriously as many good bridge players do. They always brought their pet fox terrier with them when they visited their relatives.  This supports the view that Wylie was a kindly man as he was greatly respected by his colleagues for his compassion and integrity.

By 1935, he had been appointed Acting Metropolitan superintendent of police.  The rank was confirmed in 1936. His devoted public service was recognised by the award of the Silver jubilee medal in 1935.

              Superintendent Nation was possessed of a delightful sense of humour as the following story shows.  He had been speaking to two policemen from New South Wales when a Constable Sanderson entered the room.
“Meet superintendent Sanderson," Superintendent Nation said to his visitors. They immediately stood up and came to attention. Wylie cleared his throat and dryly remarked, “Yes, the superintendent of the Dogs' Rescue Home."

This time the laugh was on the visitors but Wylie was equally fond of a joke against himself.

During his long career with the South Australian police, Wylie Nation earned eight honourable mentions by the Commissioner of police; a record which has seldom been equalled.  He rarely took sick leave, indeed until 1936 he had only 56 days in 35 years.  Towards the end of 1936 he broke his leg when he fell on the jetty at Largs Bay and was incapacitated for over nine weeks.  Fortunately he recovered and was able to return to his duties.

It was early in 1937 that Wylie developed heart trouble, but, although he thought of retiring early, and had talked of a trip to Japan with his wife, typically he put his duty first and continued working.  On Wednesday, 19th of May he had a heart attack at police Headquarters and was taken home.  He returned to work but suffered a more serious attack on the 23rd.  Although he was immediately taken to Memorial Hospital in North Adelaide and placed under the care of the police surgeon (Dr. AW. Welch), nothing could be done and he died on May 24th.

The funeral took place at 3 p.m. on the 26th May and proceeded from his home in Wayville to the West Terrace Cemetery, the last resting place of many of south Australia’s pioneers.  The procession was one of the largest police funerals held in Adelaide for many years and included over 250 members of the police force.  Floral tributes poured in from all over the city bearing eloquent testimony to the high esteem in which superintendent Nation was held by his many friends and colleagues.

Mary Nation survived her husband by less than three years.   She died on the 25th January, 1940, aged 62 years. The grave has remained in excellent condition despite the passage of time.  It is in Road one South, Path 14, Number 2 West, second count.



Craig COCKS                       Peter MASON 
Max SLEE                            Wayne YELLAND
.....  we welcome you 


This mystery has been successfully cleared up by Member Bryan Dowling  who has given us the names of these very distinguished gentlemen at the Melbourne Bowling Carnival in 1965.   

The Northern Territory Police Museum & Historical Society is holding a Commemoration of the 120th Anniversary of the death  of Mounted Constable John Charles Shirley on Saturday 8th November, 2003 at the Attack Creek Roadside Stop, 72 kms north of Tennant Creek on the Stuart Highway.  Followed by a buffet luncheon at the Bluestone Motor Inn at 1 pm & later at the Tennant Creek Police Club for a BBQ from 5.30 p.m.  Should any members happen to be in that area at this time you would be more than welcome to attend.  Further details available from Janell Cox on 08 8922 3374.

The Death of Mounted Constable John Charles Shirley

Mounted Constable John Charles SHIRLEY was born in Clonmel, Ireland on 27th September, 1856.  He migrated to Australia & joined the South Australian Police Force on 10th March, 1877 at the age of 21 years.  Mounted Constable Shirley was stationed at Alice Springs in 1880, but in the following year was transferred to Barrow Creek where his ill fated search for the murderers of  Harry Readford and his stockmen was to commence.
On around 29th October, 1883 with a group consisting of John Rees, Arthur Phillips, George Phillips, George Phillips (not related), James Hussey & Alan Giles & an Aboriginal reported the fate of the remainder of the party who had all lost their lives due to lack of water.  Giles’ report indicated that he may have survived due to the fact that he was the only one who didn't drink the blood of their horses.
Although it is not known the exact date when Shirley died, he was last seen alive by Giles on 7th November, 1883, in very poor health & it is presumed that he passed away on that same day.
May he rest in peace.


 Here is a splendid photo of Sub-Inspector John Doyle taken about 1890.

He is sporting a wonderful pair of “Dundreary Whiskers” which were all the rage for the well-groomed man of the time.

These luxuriant whiskers were named after a character named “Lord Dundreary” in a popular play of the 19th Century.

      Dorothy Pyatt 

A Visit to Japan

By Chas Hopkins

In 1963 I made arrangements to travel to several of the East Asian countries which were not then a popular destination of tourists. It included Japan, China, Taiwan, Philippines, Hong Kong and Rabaul in New Guinea.
When the commissioner of Police, John McKinna heard of my plan he advised that he would write to the Chiefs of Police of the countries I was visiting, requesting they may consider assisting me with my itinerary. He said he knew of the police commander in Hong Kong but no others and he did not know if they would act to his request.
When I reached Yokohama in Japan by ship, I was requested that I call at the Purser’s Office and there met a Chief Superintendent of police of that Protectorate [Region] accompanied by his driver and interpreter. He advised he was prepared to assist me during my 5 day stay at that Port and handed me a printed itinerary [attached] of the things and places that he suggested I may be interested to see, adding that he realised I would have my own plan of the things I wanted to do and see whilst I was there. He asked me to study the itinerary he had prepared and delete that which did not appeal to me.
The itinerary was prepared on a time schedule for the length of my stay there and included a tour of their police establishment and many of the recognised tourist areas including Niko, and the Mount Fuji areas. It proved to be a wonderful insight into the functioning of their police force but also their fascinating tourist industry but in particular the public relations. I was treated with magnificent respect and dignity including visits to their police academy, the police secluded resort in the mountain area adjacent to Mount Fuji. Special meals were taken in the Japanese tradition where guests are seated on the floor and partake of their meal accompanied with cups of their green tea and a drink of their “Sake”.
Preceding the meal an invitation was given to partake of a “Spa” bath where the heated water flowed from natural volcanic springs located  there. However I was regarded as an oddity due to my 196 centimeter height, and I myself realised I towered over everyone I met who due to their natural build were noticeably much smaller.
I considered their Police Force was well organised and I noted two aspects of their wonderful technology which had not been considered for introduction into South Australia. The first was the microfilming of their entire record system which greatly reduced space as microfilm stored in a container the size of a normal match box held records previously stored in large folders. It was easily accessed by inserting a small container in which the film was stored into a machine which had a viewing screen [similar to a normal T.V. screen].  I realise this has been incorporated and updated in the computer system which now is commonplace. The other system which impressed me was related to their Fingerprint Department where they had introduced, as I had considered at that time, a far easier method of taking fingerprints. The Indian Ink method was used internationally and often proved a delicate and messy operation as the ink was difficult to remove from the hands after the prints had been taken. Also there was a likelihood of soiling the clothes of both the suspect and the member taking the prints. The new method was the use of graphite dust being brushed onto the areas of the hands where the prints were to be taken from, using a camel hair brush. The graphite dust was the material used in lead pencils and the prints were applied to a special sensitised paper similar in design to that used internationally. A copy is attached. The powder was easily removed from the person’s hands after the operation and I considered, although I realised I was not an expert in this field, that the image of the prints on the paper appeared much clearer than those created using the old Indian Ink method.

I do not know whether the Japanese had introduced National Identity Cards at that time which would require everyone to be fingerprinted and photographed, as it was being considered in Australia but never materialised. If that had been in  force it would have greatly reduced the time taken to  fingerprint the entire community.
This reminds me of a visit I made to Police Headquarters in Mexico City shortly after my visit to Japan. The city had a population of about 7 million at that time [it is now the largest populated city in the World with 25 million] and the Police Headquarters Building was smaller in size to the current Police Headquarters in Flinders Street Adelaide. However it was continually swamped with the public, making access difficult. I enquired as to the reason and was advised that the
Government, due to the high crime rate had introduced legislation where employees seeking employment were required to obtain an Identity Card  from Police Headquarters. The card was issued after they had been fingerprinted and it also contained their photograph and any convictions. The police charged about A70 cents or eight pesos for the certificate which was demanded by most employers before considering their application for work.
Whilst on this tour I also made contact with senior administrators at Hong Kong Headquarters at Arsenal Street on the Island where all senior personnel had a British background and naturally its functions had been influenced to operate in that manner. However, I considered the South Australian Regime, which was undergoing a major uplift at that time due to John McKinna’s influence was on a similar plain to it.


Some 200 years B.C.  there lived a Greek  Historian named Polybius.  He left some wise words for anyone who seeks to find the truth from past events.  Despite the passing of over two millennium his words ring fresh & true today.

 “For as a living creature is rendered wholly useless if deprived of it’s eyes, so if you
    take the truth from history what is left is but an idle unprofitable tale.  Therefore,
   one must not shrink either from blaming one’s friends or praising one’s enemies;
   nor be afraid of finding fault with & commending the same persons at different times.
    For it is impossible that men engaged in public affairs should always be right, & unlikely
   That they should always be wrong.  Hold yourselves, therefore, entirely aloof from the
  actors, we must as Historians make statements & pronounce
judgement in accordance with the actions themselves”

Dorothy Pyatt



Mail – Changing to camel coach – Cobbler Sand desert.
Photo taken by Mounted Constable De Pury 9.9.1926


“Bushranging Menace”

Australian Chronicle
Ballarat, October, 1854 – The Ballarat branch of the Bank of Victoria was recently robbed of ?14,300 in notes and gold.
The robbers, armed with pistols, walked into the bank casually and demanded the money.  After the demand had been met it transpired that the firearms they carried were unloaded.
Thomas Quinn, John Boulton and Henry Marriott have been arrested and imprisoned for the crime.




“A Reign Of Terror Ends”

Australian Chronicle
Forbes, May 6th, 1865 – Ben Hall is dead.  Today this township rings with the cry.  The news is a great relief to persons of all stations.
 t dawn today Hall, who was camping in the scrub, was surrounded by police & shot at close range.  He had no opportunity to resist.  He was alone when caught.
The shot that brought him down was fired by Billy Dargin, a black tracker.
Police believe that Hall’s death will bring an end to the reign of terror on the southern roads.
Hall first came to the notice of the law in 1862 when he was arrested for highway robbery, but acquitted at the trial.  A few weeks later he was again arrested as an accomplice in the Eugowra Gold Escort robbery.  He was not charged.
Within a short time Hall had declared himself and, with John Gilbert and John O’Meally, set upon a life of lawlessness.
For nearly three years Hall and his gang (which grew in numbers) robbed banks & stations, stuck up gold escorts & mail coaches & once held a magistrate to ransom.
Many gun duels with police were without effect.  In an affray at Bang Bang three bushrangers and two police exchanged 40 shots at a range of about 40 yards without inflicting a wound on either side


Concert Party
Police Scene

Speed Cops -Jack Schaal, Gordon Smith, Bruce Carnell , Bill Barker.
Junior Constables holding lances.Jack Edwards, Byron Ranger
Mounted Constables Jack Colmer, John Swan
Drummers - Rod Nettlebeck, Bill Low  Old Time MCs – unknown      Foot Constables - Ken Dillon, ? Singer in Police Dress - George Greig's concert party  Various police at rear.


Wallace Byron 
(Wally) Budd 

Passed away 29th September, 2003 
Much respected Founding & Life Member 
of the S.A. Police Historical Society 

May he rest in peace.


The “HUE & CRY” is published by the
South Australian Police Historical Society Inc.,
C/- Box 1539
Elees Pick.....

Web Site :

email > historical@police.sa.gov.au

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend
© 2003  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea