Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Click Here

Front Cover

President's Page

Blast From the Past


Volunteers in Action

Next Month's Meeting


Society badge

           line 2010    








Xmas party at Police Barracks
The Mail, Saturday 18 December 1954 p 68

FAMILIES of the: mechanical and maintenance staff in the transport section of the1Police Barracks at  Thebarton were treated to a Christmas party by the Police Department. Here children ride in the 'chariot' which; brought Father Christmas (Sgt. J. Swan). His rein deer was police grey, Vincent, and the coach man was Mounted Constable B. D. Harris.


This Edition of Hue and Cry marks the first anniversary of our quarterly colour editions which are published with the assistance of the Police Credit Union.  We have received many positive comments about the new style and the broader content.  It is always our objective to provide a quality publication and we regularly hold discussions about style, content, photographs and other aspects associated with publishing this Newsletter.  I thank our two main editors, Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea for their continuing dedication to producing the Hue and Cry.  I also thank the Credit Union for their continued supported.

December marks the end of another year and it is time to reflect on the achievements of both the Committee and our dedicated team of regular volunteers during the past 12 months.  Much of our volunteers' time has been dedicated to the reorganisation of our archives and storage facilities, coupled with continued work on developing our systems and procedures in readiness for  changing our computer data base to 'Mosaic'.  'Mosaic' is a data base developed specifically for Museums and has been adopted as the accepted standard for Museum data-bases across Australia.  Charlie       Tredrea and Bob Boscence have been dedicating large amounts of their time to developing the system in readiness for full transfer from the beginning of 2012.  Isabel Brooks and Dawn Cleaver have already trialled parts of the new data-base.

We have seen articles relating to the 'Wall of Remembrance' developed by Kevin Beare.  Thanks the hard work of Kevin, we have now secured sufficient finance to install a touch-screen computer to enhance the display.  Kevin and Max Griffiths, with assistance from Tony Woodcock have given our Board Room a serious 'make-over'.  Tony      Kaukas has continued to prepare a series of applications for grant funding and has been successful with several        applications, including funding to air-condition our four main Museum Galleries and further funding for a second compactus to store our archives.  Di Lugg and Barry Blundell, with the assistance of  Bob and Helen Ward and a number of people have been extremely busy reorganising our archive storage facilities, while Bethany Boettcher and John White have overseen a total revamp of our uniform collection and storage.

Kevin Johnson, assisted by Ernie McLeod, Dennis Irrgang, Peter Moller, Dave Rostan and Roscoe Edwards have maintained our vehicles and with assistance from many members, driven them to displays across the State.  Allan Peters has responded to many requests for historic information, while Kate Woodcock and Dorothy Pyatt, assisted by Audrey Walker and Audrey Wallace have excelled themselves managing our now very large photographic collection.  And, our monthly meetings would not be the same without the range of quality guest speakers so capably arranged by Owen Bevan.

Thank you to all our Volunteers.  Without you we could not operate.  Finally, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a very safe, happy and prosperous New Year.

Bill Prior.




DAY - 2011.


On Thursday the 29th September 2011 due to weather conditions, the annual  remembrance day    ceremony was held in the auditorium at the Academy.  The next ceremony will be held in the new academy.  The Historical Society was very well represented with at least 30 members present in the large crowd (standing room only). 

Proceedings commenced with the National Police Memorial Honour Guard and Flag Party followed by His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, AC,CSR, RANR accompanied by Acting Deputy Commissioner Bronwyn Killmier, APM with the Police Band performing the Vice Regal Salute.   Sergeant Gerald Powell (Police Academy) welcomed those present and the service address was led by Senior Chaplain Dianna Bartlett.
President Bill Prior presented the historical address and told the story of Corporal Henry Kemp Brown NIXON who was attacked with his own sword and suffered horrific head wounds but recovered and passed away several years later from his injuries.

The placing of wreaths followed with the Police Ode led by Sergeant Gerard Powell and the Stand Fast featuring Senior Constable First Class Paul West (Bugler Band of S A Police) Most present attended morning tea in the Academy Mess.

The 2012 ceremony will be held in the new Academy Memorial Gardens.



President Bill Prior giving the historical address
about Corporal Nixon.


 Geoff Rawson.

In the Spring edition we looked at the earlier locations of Police Headquarters and the building of 1A Angas Street.  This building was purpose designed to house the Administration and other sections of the police.  Below is an aerial view of the new building in 1963 with Victoria Square as it was at that time with the earlier building alongside (Magistrate court) prior to re-building and upgrading.
The Main entrance, ground floor included Recruiting Section, Warrants, Missing Persons and Property Tracing in the North wing with a typing room, locker room and doctor’s office in the South wing.  In this wing was the exit to the car park

The new building included a Auditorium used for many functions including traffic lectures, film shows etc. A Cafeteria run by the Canteen and Messes Board was a busy place where hot meals and drinks were purchased with the profits to various police charities. In the basement a canteen with the late Sen.Sgt Ralph Threadgold selling groceries. He was referred to as “the grocer” when he worked at Port Adelaide later in life.
Although the earlier building had a small radio room the new building was much better equipped with modern equipment for the Communications Section, Country Radio, Police Operations Centre and Morse Code room which included Interstate.  The Police Operations Centre (POC) was activated when a major emergency occurred.  This was situated on the 9th Floor North wing.

In 1978 a building  at 202 Greenhill Road Eastwood was leased by SAPOL as the next Headquarters Building.  It had the nickname of “Toad Hall” by the rank and File members. The Commissioner and the majority of his Administration , including Building and Supply, Organisational Services and Special Projects section moved and Angas Street was reorganized for other units to take the place of the units that had moved.


Tara Hall front and below rear view.


1477   1471
8th floor North wing—the very popular cafeteria.           The Auditorium on the 8th and 9th floor South wing used for training, traffic lectures, entertainment and presentations.

21921   17988
3rd floor South wing featured fingerprints (above)    Merve Kowald and Jenny Barrett in the Recruiting  
Modus Operandi and Criminal Records (below).        Section
ground floor adjacent  to Adelaide Police                                                                                                 Station.

21919                21920


The shipwreck of the Brigantine Maria 1840.

(The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858-1889), Monday 12 September 1870, page 4, 5


In 1840 a gazette notice for Major-Commandant of the South Australian Militia appeared on 26th February, and then on 8th June another gazette notice appeared for Commissioner of Police. Major O'Halloran was appointed to both positions.
It will be remembered by old colonists that in 1840, when the Maria was wrecked at Lacepede Bay (Kingston S.E.) and the crew were  murdered by the aboriginals, Major O'Halloran went down to investigate the    matter on the orders of the Governor of South         Australia.  He was joined on the road by Mr. C. Bonney and another gentleman, who accompanied him             unofficially.   The result of the investigation was, that the Major hanged two or three of the natives.    This proceeding was very severely condemned by a number of colonists, who made very strong representations upon the subject to both the local and home (England) Governments.   The result, however, showed that whatever opinions might be entertained   respecting the abstract propriety of the summary measures adopted by the gallant Major, they were in reality the   wisest and most merciful for both races. No organised attack was ever afterwards made upon Europeans by the natives in that part of the colony.   From Adelaide up the Coorong to beyond the Salt Creek, the aborigines were impressed with a sense of the irresistible power of the white man, and the certainty that acts of violence against him would meet with exemplary punishment.

In 1854 our Major was gazetted a, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Volunteer Military Force.


The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858-1889), Monday 12 September 1870, page 4, 5

A generation has passed away since the wreck of the brigantine Maria in Lacepede Bay, and the murder of the crew story was a very painful one, fifteen of the  unfortunate crew and passengers, including women and children, having been barbarously butchered by a tribe of the Murray aboriginals on their suffering journey from the scene of the shipwreck to Adelaide, which,  Brigantine
  unhappily, they never completed. The massacre happened in 1840, while   Colonel Gawler was Governor of the colony. When the sad news reached the seat of Government intense grief and  indignation were excited in the minds of the settlers, and Colonel Gawler, an old military man, determined to avenge the deaths of his murdered fellow-country men. The late Major   O'Halloran, whose death occurred the other day, was the Commissioner of    Police, and to him the   onerous and responsible work was assigned of  punishing the natives who had committed the crime.
How he accomplished the work is known to some of the old ...
A Brigantine similar configuration to the Maria.

colonists, but the new generation will have sprung up unaware the events occurred have but a hazy notion of the expedition undertaken by the Major.
We have had placed in our hands by the family of Major O'Halloran, his journal kept during the        expedition, and copies of the public documents  connected with it. The journal is kept and the      documents entered with all the careful precision which might have been expected from a trained     soldier; and they are sufficient to vindicate the deceased gentleman from the serious charges which were brought against him at the time, of having acted in an illegal manner, and more in the spirit of a ruthless soldier than of an officer of the Civil Government.

We have read with an interest which we do not care to express, the ink-faded entries in the old journal of Major O'Halloran, and while admitting that, perhaps, a rough kind of justice, hardly sanctioned by the strict letter or spirit of the law was administered to the native murderers, we have no hesitation in saying that substantial justice was done. One thing is very apparent—the Major was supremely anxious to do what he regarded as his duty in a solemn and reverent way. It was no mere brutal and unreasoning spirit of revenge that influenced him. He seems to have felt that he had a painful duty to discharge, and he performed it with as much solemnity as a Judge does when, in obedience to the law, he sentences a convicted murderer to the gallows.

The record opens with a copy of the instructions which the Commissioner received from Colonel Gawler under date August 14, 1840, and which are worth copying.
" You will proceed with the party described on the margin (Major O'Halloran, Captain Nixon, Mr. Hart, Inspector Tolmer, 12 policemen, Mr. Pullen, 11 sailors, and three or four Encounter Bay natives, Mr. C. Bonney subsequently joining as a volunteer) to the elbow of the Goolwa, by such routes as you shall judge expedient.”

"You will make arrangements that two boats shall be placed on the river, with provisions and necessaries on board for your whole party for 14 days.
" You will have at least seven days' provisions in addition in charge of a foot police party at the     elbow.
"The object of your expedition is to apprehend and bring to summary justice the ringleaders in the murder, or any of the murderers (in all not to exceed three) of eight or more white persons, some of whose bodies were found about — days since, about 19 miles to the southward of the sea-mouth of the Goolwa or Murray.
" To this end your first object should be, if possible, to make prisoners the whole number congregated with the murderers. It is of very great importance that, if possible, in effecting this portion of the duty, no blood should be shed or violence shown or encountered.
"The future effect of the expedition on the minds and conduct of the natives will certainly be much more beneficial if the murderers can be captured without bloodshed.

" This, however, will probably be the most difficult part of your duty, and if in the execution of it you are really compelled to abandon temperate measures, and to resort to those of extreme force against the whole tribe, you will not be held  blameable. Your duty is to capture the murderers, and this object must be effected if they fall within your reach.

" You will most carefully and distinctly explain to all friendly natives that your warfare is not with any but the tribe by which the murder was committed, and even to this tribe, you will, if opportunity permits, explain as distinctly (which, from the shortness of the distance at which their weapons take effect you will probably be able to do, even if they should be in hostility against you) that if they will deliver up the murderers, your aggression against all others shall cease.

" The horses should, with the greatest care, be kept out of sight until the last moment. This may be     effected by sending them along the sea-beach, not allowing any to rise the sand hills.
" When the prisoners are taken, you will proceed   deliberately, and with all suitable form, to discover, through the medium of the Encounter Bay aboriginals, who were the persons actually concerned in the murder. You will take every reasonable method of exhibiting to your own  party, and to all the aboriginals present, that your enquiry is deliberate, and conducted on principles of the    strictest justice.

"When, to your own thorough, conviction, you shall have identified any number, not exceeding three, of the actual murderers, you will distinctly point out such men, and require the deliberate opinions of Mr. Pullen, Captain Nixon, and the Encounter Bay aboriginals, concerning their guilt, and you will make a note by names of those opinions as to guilty or not guilty, for the information of the Governor. You will, however, act upon your own single deliberate judgement.

" Should your mind become satisfied of the guilt as to actual participation in the murder of any number not exceeding three, you will, if possible, move the whole tribe in your power to the spot at which the murder was committed. You will there explain to the aboriginals the nature of your conduct and the orders you have received from the Governor, and you will deliberately and formally cause sentence of death to be executed, by shooting or hanging, upon the convicted murderers, not exceeding three, as above described. You will then cause your party to return to its different stations.
" Should you not be able to succeed in capturing any aboriginals against whom you can obtain evidence satisfactory to yourself, you will arrange your movements so as to return by the time that your provisions are exhausted.

" The whole party engaged in the expedition is placed under your absolute command. You will be careful to maintain strict discipline in it, especially as regards conduct towards the natives and their women. For so doing this shall be your sufficient warrant.

.............. (Signed)

George Gawler, Governor S. A.

To be continued next Issue.....................



Tara Hall would have been a magnificent mansion in its day and served well as a temporary measure for the Headquarters of SAPOL.  However when asked to appear at Tara Hall one always felt a little nervous wondering what misconduct had been reported.  The move to this building allowed other uses for the Angas Street building. However SAPOL was fragmented with various buildings around the city being used for other sections.  Firearms Section used a building in Hindmarsh Square and other departments such as Internal Investigations Branch and Crime Prevention Section, were housed in  buildings in King William Street and Personnel Section in a leased building next to the Tram Barn.
It was only a matter of time before a move would be made to find a more suitable building to house the  command, administration and other similar sections.   A nine story building formerly known as BP house at the corner of Flinders Street and Gawler place was leased.   The building required extensive renovation to make it suitable and eventually various sections moved into the building, with recruiting section on the ground floor and was opened in 1993.  The entrance foyer included a security desk staffed by full time security officers  prior to entry to the main building. Card key access  allowed access into the building and to various floors.  Computer section, Firearms Section, and other units from Angas Street moved in with the Commissioners Command.  There was a limited parking area in the basement, and each floor contained a conference room, small   kitchens and toilet facilities

Soon it was time to say goodbye to the Angas Street building which was demolished to make way for the federal courts building.


On Saturday the 15th October 2011the new police headquarters at 100 Angas Street, Adelaide was officially opened by the Premier the Honourable Mike Rann and former Treasurer Kevin Foley with Commissioner Hyde.  Our Vice President Kevin Beare attended  representing the Police Historical Society in the absence of President Bill Prior who was  interstate. The new building is classed as a green building as its design brief was to minimize the carbon footprint and have a low energy consumption.  All cooling and heating of the building has been designed to reduce power consumption.  We hope to review this new building in a later issue and will also examine the new Police Academy when it is opened early next year.




At our September meeting, retired Deputy Commissioner John White was the guest speaker who officially launched his new book “Police on the Move”. The History of South Australia Police Transport 1838 to 2011.  John proved to be a fascinating and passionate speaker and has done some amazing research for this project.  This beautifully presented book contains colour and black and white photographs of historic and more modern means of transport and is a wonderful source of history for this subject.
On Friday the 2nd of September John was the guest speaker at our monthly meeting and gave a very entertaining talk about the progress of police transport from the very earliest beginnings to the modern era.  John displayed many of the photographs in the book and was full of information regarding various makes and model of vehicles.  He spoke of the eras of horse drawn transport to push bikes and motorcycle outfits and has enough material for further talks.  We look forward to another chapter or two in the future. Copies of the book are available from the Society.



Supt. Anthony Fioravanti- Christchurch Earthquake.

On Friday the 7th October Superintendent Anthony Fioravanti (the current Adelaide East LSA Commander) addressed our monthly meeting and spoke of his work in Christchurch New Zealand in the aftermath of the catastrophic February 2011 earthquake as a member of the Australian police support contingent.

He used a power-point presentation with some sobering photographs of   earthquake damage in a City which continues to this day to suffer tremors on a daily basis. Some areas will never be built on again due to liquefaction.  The major churches have been almost totally destroyed or are beyond rebuilding.  Anthony spoke about the many difficulties in managing the rescue of the injured and recovery of deceased persons. 

This tragedy is a sobering reminder of what nature can do to a once beautiful city.  Those members present were extremely appreciative of the talk and Anthony received and Certificate of Appreciation and book from Vice President Kevin Beare, who also spoke of his connection with this tragedy with applause from the audience.   


Vice Patron, Deputy Commissioner Gary Burns
– Contemporary Policing,

Friday 4th November 2011- SA Police Historical Society meeting at Thebarton Barracks.
The speaker for our last meeting of the year was introduced by Life Member John White APM, who gave an insight into Deputy Commissioner Burns BM, APM who is also our Vice Patron.  Gary jointed SA Police in 1972 served in various areas including STAR group where he ultimately became Officer in Charge. 

Our Charlie Tredrea was his senior man when Gary first joined the ‘Watch’.   John outlined a very impressive career and it is no wonder he is now sitting in the position of Deputy Commissioner.
He received his Bravery Award when he rescued a lady from a burning house.

Gary spoke of contemporary issues within SAPOL and spoke of the new Records Management system – SHIELD project on which 40 people are working, which will enable investigators to track any mention of a person in any documentation whether it be as victim, offender etc.  This will be of great benefit for investigations and operational police especially when integrated with the new Computer Aided Despatch system which commenced operation at midnight on Sunday the 6th November.

He also spoke of new recruiting methods including the Byrne Model which targets potential rather than just current ability.  Neighbourhood policing teams will move into various suburbs targeting current problems in those areas.

This talk was an amazing insight into the changes and future directions of SAPOL.
President Bill Prior thanked Gary and presented him with a certificate of appreciation and a book to applause from a very appreciative audience.




Bar divider


Evelyn (Ginge) WALKER passed away on 19/11/11 aged 95years.  Ginge was well known to many Police Historical Members and she will be missed.  She was born in Scotland and served WW2 as a nurse, before coming to Australia and working in the Kate Cocks babies home.  In 1950 she joined the Police Force as a Woman Police Officer.  Her funeral service was held on Tuesday the 22/11/11 and her casket was draped in the Union Jack as per her wishes. 

Kevin Charles MORGAN passed away on 9/11/11.  He  was born 4/11/1937 and joined SAPOL as a Junior Constable 23/9/1957.  He retired on 17/7/1996 as a Sergeant having served at Unley, Stirling, Darlington, Mallala, Christies Beach and St Peters.  He was a volunteer with the SA Country Fire Service , Retired Police and Police Firearms Club.  He was awarded the National Medal on 19/5/1978.   Our sympathies to his family.

Bar divider


On Thursday the 29th September we were fortunate to be represented by Society members Holger Kruse and his wife Ros, Vice Patron, Deputy Commissioner Gary Burns and Executive Committee member Guy Buckley at the Banrock Station ceremony. Superintendent Paul Naycor of Mildura accompanied by his wife Vanessa and daughter Portia. Holger attracted much attention in his 1845-75 uniform, which would have been the same type worn by the late Mounted Constable Carter and      Corporal Wickham when they drowned trying to cross the Murray River in a canoe on 7th May 1847. 
The memorial cairn was erected on the bank near where the drownings occurred by the Riverland Four Wheel Drive Club in 1997.  Refreshments were supplied by the Riverland Four Wheel Drive Club and were greatly appreciated.

Holger laid a wreath on behalf of the SA Police Historical Society.  Deputy Commissioner Gary Burns and other ranks, with representatives of Local Councils and other services, with all help to make this a very moving ceremony. 

The Society recognizes the contribution provided by Tania Cooper and her helpers for their work in making the event a success.

(Photographs courtesy of Ros Kruse), Thanks Ros.


Group photograph on left Chief Inspector Guy Buckley,  Superintendent Ian Parrott, Holger Kruse, Deputy Commissioner Gary Burns and  Superintendent Paul Naycor (Mildura)

Incident with Motorcycles

Some time in the late 1970s or early 1980s, I was on patrol on my Honda 750 cc Police motorcycle and was travelling north along the Main North Road through Medindie and on my way to the Port Wakefield Road, as that was my patrol run for the day. Back in those days all motorcycles had to have two number plates, one at the front one at the rear.

Quite a few motorcycles did not carry a front numberplate and quite often we found by checking into these motorcycles that they were possibly stolen or related to stolen motorcycle incidents.
I stopped a Japanese built black motorcycle  which did not have a front numberplate and it was being ridden by a young male person.   I asked for his driving licence, he stated he did not have it on him, I asked his name he gave me the name of John Smith and an address in Mansfield Park somewhere. I had doubts about the veracity of this name for the usual obvious reasons.

I checked the number plate over the police radio, it was not listed as stolen I checked the engine number on the motorcycle, I noticed that it was not completely clear, I took details and reported the rider under the name of John Smith for riding without a front plate, and I continued on my way, heading north.
A short time later I was on the Port Wakefield Road near Waterloo Corner when I saw another motorcycle also travelling north. It did not have a front numberplate.  I stopped this motorcycle which was been ridden by another young male and requested his identification.   He produced a driving licence in the name of John Smith which had the same address on it as that given to me by the previous person I had just spoken to and also the same date of birth.  I asked this person what was going on because I had just spoken to a male person who had given the same identification but did not produce a licence.

He told me that he knew who that person was, and gave me a name and another address. He stated that the other male person was a guy who had gone out with his sister at some time and he always gave out his name and details when spoken to by the police.
I checked the identification of the motorcycle with headquarters, and the rider came out clear, so I reported him for “no front numberplate” and requested that he accompany me to the address where he said the other person lived. He agreed to do so.

I rode to the address in Mansfield Park in company with the second rider we met a CIB car at the address, and went into the premises.
We found the first rider to whom I had spoken at Medindie, at the address and also quite a few motorcycles in the rear yard in various stages of being rebuilt. Most of them had been stolen.

The first rider was arrested and charged by the CIB.




Kevin Johnson, Ernie McLeod, Dennis Irrgang,  Roscoe Edwards and Di Lugg (taking photo).


Kevin Johnson, Peter Moller, Di Lugg Roscoe Edwards and Dennis Irrgang.


Kevin Johnson, Di Lugg, Peter Lawrence, Dennis Irrgang  Roscoe  Edwards and Mark Dollman.


NHW Group tour of museum



On Sunday the 14th August 2011, 45 members of the Veteran and Vintage Chevrolet Club of SA visited the Historical Society for a tour of the museums and Devonshire Tea. Assisting were Di Lugg, Isabel Brooks, Ernie McLeod, Ray Freak, Max Griffiths and Geoff Rawson. They brought with them some magnificent examples of Chevrolet vintage and veteran cars which were parked on the parade ground. 

On Sunday the 18th September, Kevin Johnson, Max Griffiths, Ernie McLeod and Diana Lugg represented the Society at the Victor Harbor Rock and Roll Festival (below).

Paskerville Field Day 2011
Kevin Johnson, Dennis Irrgang and Ernie McLeod with Andrea Wilson on the Honda.

Kevin Beare with the photos now decorating the entrance foyer to the Museum. The foyer was recently cleaned and painted.

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

e-mail :
If you have any articles you believe would be of interest please forward them to the 
Editors, preferably in digital format using the above address.
Editors:- Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea.

Web site




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2011  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea