Society Banner



Hue and Cry



Click Here.

Society badge


           line 2010    







    Photograph 11002.


This Summer edition of the Hue and Cry signals the end of another year and it is a useful time to reflect on our achievements throughout 2012, but perhaps more importantly to set new goals for 2013.

You may recall that 2012 did not start well for us, with major flooding in our archive area. Many of our paper records were soaked.  However, the damage was not as serious as initially thought and thankfully, we have recovered significantly from that event. 

One of the benefits from this 'disaster' has been that we have now had the opportunity to review and  re-sort many of our archive holdings.  Linked with this, we are also steadily moving ahead with the        digitizing of our personnel records, thanks to the efforts of Ken and Jeanette McLean. It is one of our aims to digitize most of our holdings, then have the original paper documents properly stored.  If you have any spare time and would like to assist with this or other projects, we would be most willing to speak with you.  We offer relevant training in a number of fields, particular computing.

Summer also presents many opportunities for our vehicles to be displayed at events across the State.  Apart from giving us the opportunity to display the vehicles, it also provides an opportunity to showcase the work of the Society and recruit potential members.  Again, if you have an interest in historic  vehicles and would like to assist us at some of these events, please contact us.

In April 2013 South Australia Police (SAPOL) celebrates 175 years of service to the community.  It is intended to celebrate our 175th birthday with a series of events throughout the year.  Most of these are still in the planning stages, but we will keep you informed through future editions of the Hue and Cry and our web-site in relation to these events.  Obviously Foundation Day, April 28th 2013, is an important date and I suggest you mark it in your diaries now.  It is intended to mark our Foundation with a series of  celebrations during an open day at the Police Academy.

I would also like to thank the many volunteers who, together, have contributed many thousands of hours of their time to assist the Society throughout 2012.  It is only through your dedicated support that we were able to achieve so much in the past year and can plan with confidence for 2013.

Finally, I wish you and your families a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Bill Prior



 Bill Prior.






David Stanley (Dave) Rostan
Passed away October 14th, 2012.

 Dave was a well respected volunteer who spent much of his time keeping our historic vehicles in working order.  He was especially fond of the Chrysler Royal which he was originally working on at Novar Gardens in his position of mechanic. He joined the force in and gained his qualification through SAPOL as an apprentice.  He had an interest in radios and spent time in country areas. ?????



Being blessed with a total absence of the competitive instinct and thus hopeless at sport I nevertheless in my days at Port Augusta,  was keen to help organise sporting events between our men and our colleagues down the road at Port Pirie.

Our first challenge was warmly received and a football match was held in the paddock of a friendly landowner at Mambray Creek, roughly half way between our respective H.Q.’s.

Even kindly old Inspector Armitage put on a guernsey and lumbered about the field.  The event was so successful that a return match was arranged, but on the appointed day the ground was under water, the result of an overnight deluge coming down Mambray Creek.  Hurried arrangements were made for the game to be played at the disused Port Augusta West Oval and our opponents informed of the change of venue.  A quick sortie to the Oval enabled us to get the ground ready in time.

Alex Palmer and I, used to facing the grim realities of C.I.B. work, seized hold of the old corrugated iron toilet lying on the ground, hauled it upright, kicked away the redback spiders and set it up sufficiently stable for it to perform its function for the day.

This event too was a great success.  Those who claim that the view from the Adelaide Oval Grandstand is outstanding, have not seen the vista from that rickety old grandstand at Port Augusta West Oval.

 The upper reaches of the gulf, the red sandy country and the background of blue mountains combined to make a magnificent scene.

 A cricket match was arranged for a day at Melrose Oval, a delightful setting.   Early morning promised a day of great heat but the opposing teams and supporting families turned up full of anticipation of a good day.

The essential beer was stashed away in old wash tubs, filled with ice, and reverently covered with wet hessian bags.

The Captains were appointed and orders of batting made.  The Umpires were selected because they were a bit past running fast enough to catch an escaping prisoner.

The game commenced on a wicket sizzling with heat.  The long on fieldsman carefully positioned himself beneath a tree on the boundary.  There were no fast bowlers.  They merely plodded along lobbing balls here and there, giving a generous supply of wides.  Occasionally from a parched throat came a strangled cry for L.B.W.

The temperature kept rising.  The waiting batsmen back in the shade looked towards the wicket and their coming ordeal, rather like gladiators waiting their turn at the Colosseum in Rome.

Some batsmen were lucky enough to get out for a duck.

Others stood their ground for a while and accumulated a few runs until they tottered back to the shade with complexions the colour of well-cooked crays, croaking pleas for drinks, and flinging themselves on the wash tubs.

Still the day became even hotter.  In that pre-Esky era we lunched off warm sandwiches and limp lettuce until resumption of play, which didn’t last long.  The last man was out and the opposing teams settled down to the more serious business of polishing off the grog in an atmosphere of happy comradeship.

At the end of the day we returned home to Port Augusta to find that the official temperature had been logged at 112 Fahrenheit in the Shade.                        





PORT AUGUSTA 12 September 1912
Crowd watching celebrities arriving for “Turning of the Sod Ceremony” to mark the commencement of the construction of the Transcontinental Railway.  Note the Mounted Police Escort (not greys!). Port Augusta recently celebrated this Centenary event.  An extract from the Advertiser 14/9/12—Photo 4713.

“With legislation passed and the difficult survey work completed, in September 1912 at Port Augusta a small wheelbarrow carrying a spade was steered to a point on the survey line where Governor General Thomas Denman turned the first sod of earth for this monumental project.  He was flanked by the prime minister Andrew Fisher, the federal minister for home affairs King O’Malley, premiers Port Augusta may Thomas Hewitson and several hundred locals.  It was a gathering that indicated the significance of the moment.”



Member Holger Kruse , his wife Ros and Bob Job attended the Police Remembrance day on 28/9/12 at Banrock Station.  Holger and Ros, now living in Mildura represents the Society each year at this function.  Present was Mrs Sobczac mother of SC Sobczac who died in a motor cycle accident on 26/5/2002 whilst on duty, with her carer Lois Bock of Loxton.  Holger in early Mounted Constable uniform and Bob in his 1950s uniform added colour to the occasion which remembers the deaths of MC Wickham and Carter who perished whilst crossing the Murray River in a bark canoe, near the point where the commemorative plaque now stands at Banrock Station

Mrs Sobczac with Holger and Bob.

From the right, Acting A/C Michael Cornish, Bob Job, Acting Deputy Commissioner Madelaine Glynn,
Holger Kruse and Supt. Ian Parrott

The following is an account, sent by a South Australian police trooper to his inspector at Melrose, on patrol from Edieowie, South of Beltana, to Innaminka in 1880.  It is an extract from an old Beltana station journal and is a graphic and home adorned description of the persistent effort he had to maintain in order to effect an arrest.

It is a striking illustration of the contrast between the mechanised police force that we know it today and the way in which the outback patrol of 120 years ago was undertaken.  Land-cruisers, graded roads and radios have taken the place of the camel and the packhorse and done away with a good many of the difficulties and hardships which the police of those guys had to face.

It is impossible to read this report of first-class police trooper Power's remarkable feat of endurance without pausing to reflect on the calibre of our forerunners and the unhesitating way they may tackle any duty assigned to them.  A glance at the map will show the distance he had to cover and the largely and, for the most part, inhospitable country he traversed.  His patrol is surely an achievement of which all members of the force can justly feel proud. 
D. M. Pyatt.

Beltana Police Station
March 22nd, 1880.
I have the honour to forward, in accordance with your instructions, a detailed report of the capture of prisoner John Smith, arrested by me on the charges of horse stealing and embezzlement from John Constant, of Edieowie on the fifth of last month and the complainant reported this case to me.  I advised him to proceed at once to Beltana and obtain a warrant for Smith's arrest.  I left Edieowie next morning for Moralana Creek Railway Camp and returned to Edieowie the same afternoon, having travelled 20 miles.  I left Edieowie again that night for Beltana, about seven o'clock, travelled all night and reached the latter place about 10 o'clock in the morning of the seventh, 55 miles journey.  That afternoon I received a warrant for Smith's arrest, and I left Beltana next morning, [8th] to pursue this offender, reaching Mt. Lyndhurst [65 miles] that night.  [Taking horses Demon and Juriet, the former horse I had just ridden to Edieowie  and  back]. Smith passed this station on the 31st of January and therefore had 10 clear delays start of me. 

The next three days, 9th, 10th and 11th, I travelled 40, 45 and 45 miles respectively.  On my arrival at the last mentioned station, I ascertained that man who had travelled with Smith from Beltana, had obtained two fresh horses belonging to the Coongy station, and that they passed here on Saturday the seventh and were consequently five days in advance of me.  On the 12th I reached Tingtingarna [50 miles] five days out from Beltana and having travelled 250 miles.  Here I expected to get fresh horses, but the dry state of the country, and most of the stock being brood mares, compelled Mr. Burkitt to refuse me a change of horses.  I ascertained that Smith had passed on Tuesday the 10th, being now about three days in advance of me.  Still I had little hopes of overtaking him, as my horses were very much fatigued and weak, through being ridden and not getting a night’s feeding until the fourth night out from Beltana. 

On the 13th I made a short stage at a well about 10 miles on the road to Innaminka.  I now had a stage of 18 miles to cross without water [at least I made preparations for it] and started on the afternoon of the 14th travelling until about 12 o’clock that night.  I was then compelled through feeling very weak, tired and feverish, to camp until morning.  Fortunately, a shower of rain had fallen between Tingtingarna and Innaminka.

From Mt. Freeling to Innaminka, a distance of 230 miles, there are only two stations between and rations could not be obtained at either.  I was not aware of this when leaving Mt. Freeling, but fortunately I had sufficient with me to take me through.  I returned via Lake hope as I considered my horses too weak to travel long dry stages on the Stretzlecki Creek. From Lake Perragundi to Waukatanie I travelled in company with Henry Loman, a Hawker, and we expected to get water in a well at the latter place, but were disappointed, as the last floods had washed a great quantity of sand and clay into the well, and we had to take out nearly 5 feet of dirt before we made sufficient water to satisfy us that there would be enough water in her in the morning for ourselves.  We worked hard at her for about 5 hours.  When we got up next morning, the water in the well was so salty that the horses would scarcely drink it.  From Lake hope to Mannawaukanina, a distance of 15 miles across sand hills, I had to travel at night, [no water between] and from there down to Mt. Lyndhurst 130 miles, our horses scarcely got a bite of food.  I found both the stolen horses, saddle and bridle in prisoner’s possession.  I returned to Beltana on the fourth of March, being absent 26 days, and having travelled 766 miles, for on an average of nearly 30 miles per day, without any change of horses.  Prisoner now stands committed for trial, and complainant has possession of the horses, saddle and bridle and has signed recognisance to produce them at the Supreme Court.

I have the honour to be, Sir your obedient servant,
[signed] C. Power, 1st C.P.T.

B.C. Besley, Esq,

Act. Sub. Insp.
Police Hd. Qra.


      Bob and Jane Preuss,     
    Maxine Latter,    
    Jim Wright.


                  We Welcome you …….

DECEMBER 2012.       
        Christmas Dinner.

January 2013.
        No Meeting.

February 1st, 2013.

        Please remember to submit your nominations for Committee.

Bar divider

Friday 5th
October 2012

Friday 2nd November 2012.


Our speaker for our October meeting was Rob McClory a former SAPOL Detective Sergeant and later a member with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs who spoke about his experiences overseas.  Rob proved to be an extremely interesting speaker, who provided advise for members travelling overseas relating to passport information and the problems tourists can get into when travelling overseas.
Rob related some stories about his overseas experiences which caused great amusement to the appreciative audience.
Rob was thanked by Tony Woodcock who presented him with a book and a certificate of appreciation to generous applause.

Our speaker Retired Deputy Commissioner and Life Member John White APM spoke about Police Motor Transport (Mark2)

Bar divider

Ride for Remebrance 2012
 National organising committee under the auspice of the Police Federation of Australia and the National Police Memorial.

Motorcyclists from all over Australia travelled to Canberra for the Wall to Wall ceremony at the Police Memorial.  Volunteers Ross Edwards, Dennis Irrgang and Peter Moller.

Dennis Irrgang and Peter Moller.

National Police Wall of Remembrance, Canberra.

Letter from Gawler to the Colonial Commissioners, dated 14 January 1841:

(Source: “Despatches sent to the Colonial Commissioners, GRG 2/23, vol.2)

“Letter from Gawler to the Colonial Commissioners, dated 14 January 1841:
(Source: “Despatches sent to the Colonial Commissioners, GRG 2/23, vol.2)

I have the honour to report to you that on the 12th Inst. At about ¼ past 10 o’clock the old Government Cottage was discovered to be on fire.

Immediately assistance was rendered, but from the combustible nature of the materials the whole building was, in twenty minutes, a mass of ruins.
I deeply regret to add that almost every public document belonging to my office and that of the Private Secretary was consumed together with the books of reference which had been saved from the fire at the old land office and some that were afterwards added to them.

The remains of some letter books and of the Minutes of Council were saved in a state legible to be recopied. It will be necessary to employ one or two additional Clerks for this purpose.
My loss in a mass of private correspondence which I had taken to the office to arrange whenever an opportunity should offer is irreparable – a considerable quantity of clothing belonging to men servants who slept in the cottage is destroyed.

By hiring an office for the Advocate General, I may, with inconvenience to the Colonial Secretary be able to establish my offices in the Public Buildings in Victoria Square. The new Government House in its half constructed state is but barely sufficient in room for my family.
The event must have an extensive effect on my future correspondence, as, excepting as regards the documents and these deposited elsewhere, reference can only be made by memory to former records or communications.

My Commission and Instructions from Her Majesty and the delegation of authority from the Commissioners were kept in the new Government House.
Should the Commissioners think proper to furnish it, a copy of their correspondence with the Resident Commissioner from the formation of the Colony to the 31st August 1840 would be of great service.
There is good reason for believing that the fire was the work of a person of highly respectable connections but in a deranged state of mind.

He underwent an examination yesterday before the Colonial Secretary and Commissioner of Police and was committed to prison by them as Magistrates.

I have the honour to be, Gentlemen,
George Gawler,
Resident Commissioner, South Australia.


Having just received my Spring 'Hue and Cry' it was 'down tools' to read the latest edition and was pleased to see reference to Jim Sykes's story 'All in a day's work' and would like to comment on his mention of my Dad, Eddie Trotter delivering his furniture with, I believe, Arthur Hallion.   Dad took on the job of moving furniture with what I think was his love of the country and being able to be in the open spaces, and probably being able to be away from Mum for weeks at a time.  Growing up I recall many of his trips and would eagerly look forward to his return home with tales of where he had been and what he had seen.  The trips home from the Riverland were my favourites because there was always a bag of oranges in his luggage.  He would tell us about the hops and Sturt Peas from his trip to the Flinders, possibly delivering Jim's furniture, the West Coast scenery coming home from Fowler's Bay and the blue of the Blue Lake.  Years later we got to visit these places in a caravan, built by Dad and witnessed it for ourselves, I even recall staying in the yard of the Marree Police Station one night because of flooded roads and we could not travel further, my brother slept in probably 'that cell' that night.   I thank you for the opportunity to contact you Mr. Editor and hope my story is of interest to you.

Betty Gill,  
Eddie Trotter's daughter.


A large number of people attended at the new academy on a wet and windy day for the annual Remembrance Day service at 11.00am.  Because of the weather the service was held indoors.  His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, AC, CSC, RANR and Commissioner Gary Burns, BM, APM attended and proceedings commenced with the Vice Regal Salute.  Superintendent Scott Duval provided the welcome and the service address was conducted by the Reverend Peter Brown. The historical address was provided by Kevin Beare who related the story of Mounted Constable George Thomas SMITH who died trying to save two men in a well who had been overcome with fumes.  He was also overcome with fumes and passed away.  The people of Gumeracha who were extremely fond of their local police officer presented the family with a gold medal which is held by the Historical Society and he was also given a posthumous citation by the Royal Humane Society.  The Police Band provided the music for the event and Senior Constable Melissa McCaig performed a splendid rendition of Amazing Grace.  At the conclusion of the ceremony, we retired to morning tea.


A row of brass plaques under the veranda of the museum building has been recently installed thanks to the generosity of Vice President Kevin Beare OAM who donated funds for the purpose.

Kevin with the assistance of Max Griffiths and Jan Coventry installed the plaques which hold the names of those officers killed in the course of their duty.  A large plaque also donated by Kevin has been installed on the Northern side of the main museum entrance. 

Kevin Bear installing the large plaque.

A line of plaques either side of the main entrance.

Max Griffiths and Jan Coventry assisting with the small plaques.



30th December 1954.

A festive note was struck at the Mount Gambier Police Station last Thursday night and on the following evenings, when a decorated and lighted Christmas tree adorned the front lawn at the station.
On Thursday evening, officers and their wives and families held a party at the tree and Father Christmas distributed gifts to the little ones.

Santa Clans To Arrive By Sleigh

24th December 1954

Children will come to McLaren Vale from towns as far as 40 miles away tonight to see one of the most realistic visits by Father Christmas. More than 2,000 people are expected to watch his sleigh arrive— it will be drawn by two men inside a reindeer's skin.   Messrs. G. A. A. Ellis and P. B. Seaman of the Four Square grocery organisation, who have been arranging the event for many years, said yesterday that police had agreed to divert traffic off the main road as Father Christmas rode on his sleigh through the town.  Decorated with coloured lights, the sleigh would begin to move downhill through the town to their store at sundown.  On reaching his destination, Father Christmas will step down and give toys, ice creams and sweets to hundreds of children.

Xmas party at Police Barracks
The Mail, Saturday 18 December 1954 p 68.

FAMILIES of the: mechanical and maintenance staff in the transport section of the Police Barracks at Thebarton were treated  to a Christmas party by the Police Department,  The children had a ride in the 'chariot' which brought Father Christmas (Sgt. J. Swan). His reindeer was police grey, Vincent, and the coach man was Mounted Constable B. D. Harris.

Policeman's Treat For Orphan Family.

The Advertiser  Saturday 26 December 1953 p 4

A seven-year-old girl from Goodwood Orphanage had her first Christmas dinner with her two elder brothers yesterday for as long as she could remember. The girl is holidaying at the home of the officer in charge of Birkenhead Police Station. Senior Constable D. J. Marklew, and yesterday he invited her brothers, who live at Brooklyn Park Boys' Town, to Christmas dinner. Neighbours gave the girl many presents, including a doll's pram, a doll, and books.

Police Motor Cycle Replaces Reindeer.

Tuesday 22 December 1953.
Children of policemen were not surprised when Father Christmas arrived on a police motor cycle and side-car to distribute their presents at police barracks, Thebarton, yesterday.


In this period our mobile museum has been busy with visits to:
Kapunda Celtic Festival 21/10/2012,

The Sporting Car Club SA vehicle display Torrens Parade Ground 21/10/2012,
Strathalbyn Agricultural Show
Bay to Birdwood
30/9/2012, in which the following members were involved, Bill Prior, Diana Lugg, Kevin Johnson, Jan Coventry, Dennis Irrgang, Ross Edwards, Ron Monck, Ernie McLeod, Peter Moller and Bob Boscence.

Museum Tours included :-
the Sir Thomas Playford ETSA museum members 9/9/12,
Veteran and Vintage motorcycle club of SA on 16/9/12,
Vauxhall Car Club 5/10/12, Eastern Amateur Pistol Club, 28/10/12
Lifelink Program Holdfast Council 4/11/12. 

Members involved included, Geoff Rawson, Di Lugg, Kevin Beare, Kevin Johnson, Ernie McLeod, Ray Freak ************************

Ernie McLeod and Dennis Irrgang discuss the latest in transport at the Strathalbyn Show.

Our Chrysler Royal and the FJ Holden at the Kapunda Celtic Festival.

Dennis Irrgang having a quick bite during the Bay to Birdwood.

Bar divider

The “HUE & CRY” is  Published by the
South Australian
  Police Historical Society Inc.,
Thebarton Police Barracks
C/- G.P.O. Box 1539 
Adelaide 5001
S.A. 5083

e-mail :
If you have any articles you believe would be of interest please forward them to the 
Editors, preferably in digital format using the above address.
Editors:- Geoff Rawson and Charlie Tredrea.

Web site




Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site map | Tell a Friend

© 2012  South Australian Police Historical
Society Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.
This web site first established on November 23rd 2000.
Web development by Charlie Tredrea